Questions For the Players

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Questions For the Players

#1 Post by dmw71 »

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this an active thread once the game starts, but I might. If I have specific questions or instructions for the players, that I don't want to get buried in an 'ooc' thread, I will share them here.
  1. Game Difficulty
  2. Devil's Mistress: Trip Details
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Game Difficulty

#2 Post by dmw71 »

With this being the third daily-post game I'm going to run (which is probably insane), I've been trying to front-load as much of the work as I can, and have already started to create "shells" of posts for the stuff you're most likely going to run into. This game is setting up to be deadly. Any BX game is going to be tough, and especially challenging for a group of 1st-level characters, and this one is shaping up to be no exception. (Which is why I'm running a larger group than I would normally prefer).

Question
Would you, as the players, prefer a challenging game, knowing you can create new characters and rejoin at any time, or would you rather the difficulty be toned down?

One player, OGRE MAGE, has been debating between two characters, and I've told him there's a decent chance both will be needed. If we do proceed with this more deadly game, I have no problem with players going ahead and creating a backup character (or characters) in advance, to be able to more quickly be transitioned back into game.

I would appreciate a vote (deadly or safe?) from everyone before we start, if possible.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Questions For the Players

#3 Post by AleBelly »

It's B/X. Deadly! I'm a masochist!

Assuming of course that we won't be pushed into a TPK situation!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bring it on bit..... I mean Dave!

(that means I vote deadly) :D

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by LtTibbles »

I'm fine with a deadly game if we do make back ups would you prefer we post them in our individual forums right now or hold off until they're needed?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

If it isn't deadly, it isn't B/X.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

The people have spoken... and I say they've spoken wisely.

Deadly it is.

Now, for those of you that have never played in one of my games before, I do enjoy challenging my group, and try to play monsters intelligently, but my goal is to have fun and run a fun, balanced game. While I root for the players, I do not blindly take their sides. And while I may control them, I do not take the side of the monsters. I allow the players to make their own decisions and let the situation and dice dictate the outcome. If the group makes a foolish daring decision, and the dice are against them, I am not the type of DM that will arbitrarily prevent a TPK just to prolong the game. That said, if the game is working*, and everyone is having fun, I will have no problem starting up a new group, or working new characters/players into the game.
(* I felt like my 'Foxmoor' game was "broken" with all the rules customization I introduced, which is why I did not want to continue it.)
LtTibbles wrote:I'm fine with a deadly game if we do make back ups would you prefer we post them in our individual forums right now or hold off until they're needed?
Player's choice.

If you want, feel free to generate them now and just house them in your private forums. My only request is that you have a maximum of two back-up character in place at any given time (I want to avoid having a situation where a player rolls up 10-20 characters and hand-picks only the best and discards the rest).

I might be more excited about this game than I am my currently running 2e or Pathfinder games, and foresee it running for a long time, so get ready! ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

I'm a little late here but it doesn't matter because I'm all for deadly too.

In fact, my FtF group experienced a gnarly TPK last night. First one in a long time. But it was fun.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I also did not state my response until now but yeah no need to tone it down a toned down game is just plain silly. I can roll up 100 dwarves Dave I don't mind it at all. ;) Err i mean 2 more dwarves having read that prior one of no more than 2 fall back chars. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Glad everyone is on board.

Now, to get more prep work in.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Is it too late to jump in and ask for a nice, safe game? Maybe we could role-play nice chats in comfy chairs around a warm fireplace.

Just starting my role-playing on Pendleton. :D

One clarifying question: does the wait list get triggered on character death, or when a player decides to drop out? If the latter, I'm fine with a deadly campaign (even if my character isn't). If the former, I'd hate to get kicked out of the game too soon because of character death.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:Is it too late to jump in and ask for a nice, safe game? Maybe we could role-play nice chats in comfy chairs around a warm fireplace.

Just starting my role-playing on Pendleton. :D

One clarifying question: does the wait list get triggered on character death, or when a player decides to drop out? If the latter, I'm fine with a deadly campaign (even if my character isn't). If the former, I'd hate to get kicked out of the game too soon because of character death.
I second that. I know what it is like to die early one and it is not fun to get bumped to the waitlist.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:One clarifying question: does the wait list get triggered on character death, or when a player decides to drop out? If the latter, I'm fine with a deadly campaign (even if my character isn't). If the former, I'd hate to get kicked out of the game too soon because of character death.
If the group is really playing well together, I don't want to constantly be worried about maintaining or rebuilding player chemistry. As far as I'm concerned, an active player that is invested in the game will retain their right to remain in the game, even with a new player in the event of an untimely death.

The waitlist will be used for player attrition, or potentially expansion if it's needed.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

In that case, bring on the death and destruction.

And I'll start my backup character sometime this week. :D

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:In that case, bring on the death and destruction.

And I'll start my backup character sometime this week. :D
Here here!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Devil's Mistress: Trip Details

#16 Post by dmw71 »

I have your journey fully plotted out, including any encounters the group may have along the way, and could very easily blitz through your journey until the next logical stopping point. Or, if you're enjoying this time spent at sea and want more of it, we could actually "explore" this journey aboard the ship. It would involve heavy role-play, and potentially few opportunities for actual "action" posts, but could also be cool.

I am prepared to take this game in either direction, but want to also do what my player's want to do. So, what is your preference:
  1. Slow down the time spent aboard the Devil's Mistress and detail the journey, or
  2. Fast-forward through this time spent at sea, stopping only for encounters or the arrival at your destination?

Totally your call.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by AleBelly »

I'll defer to others since I won't be around for awhile

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

AleBelly wrote:I'll defer to others since I won't be around for awhile
Cop out. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

I'd guess AleBelly would secretly like us to slow down and do lots of role-play, reaching port just about the time he gets back from vacation. :D

I'm up for either. On the one hand, RP is fun. OTOH, there are probably only so many variations of "Pendleton is fascinated by things and takes notes" I can manage before he has something to react against. :)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by AleBelly »

Man, you two are on to me.

Actually, it might be worse to be left out of the role play, but I do think I'll check in from time to time - but I don't want the game to be held up because of me...

Return to “Dave's BX Game”