Action Thread 1

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 1

#61 Post by Argennian »

When Karraway hears Ogre's exclamations and the door splinter, he cringes, hoping that none of the evil inhabitants of the edifice have heard.

As soon as he hears the sound of battle errupt, he remains ready to either follow his companions into the room or lead a retreat back down the hallway. Either way, other than quick glances over his shoulder to keep his distance to Kayen constant, the cleric will watch the doorway they entered through to ensure the party is not approached from the rear unawares.

OOC: other than Ogre's magical sword, are there any other light sources present?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: OOC: other than Ogre's magical sword, are there any other light sources present?
Nope.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by migellito »

Phanstern lights his lantern.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

Unable to get a clear shot with her bow, Freda draws her sword and rushes into the room to help with the fight.

All the while, she thinks, "maybe next time they'll listen to me..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:
Argennian wrote: OOC: other than Ogre's magical sword, are there any other light sources present?
Nope.
OOC: It just occurred to me that Elwita has a magic war hammer. Wouldn't that glow, or is emitting light limited to just magical swords?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Knight of Gondor
Runner
Runner

#66 Post by Knight of Gondor »

Long has it been since Dred entered battle, but old instincts die hard. Upon hearing the sounds of battle, Dred takes a quick assessment. Seeing Phanstern fumble with his lantern he decides to wait on casting light. Trusting that Karraway is keeping watch to our rear, Dred moves up to the doorway, does not enter but takes position on one side. Gripping his staff he peers into the room hoping to catch a glimpse of what assails the party.

OOC: Dred will go either to the left or right of the door, whichever side is unoccupied and peer into opposite side of the room

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex - Creatures attack

Surprise.

Sorry work is a bit crazy, let me resolve this before we get into round 1.

As they leap down from above, Ogre looks like a mass of flailing rotting flesh. Five creatures attacking with claw like hands, and pointed teeth.

The first two hit with their teeth, the last with his claw, and one hits with teeth and a claw. Ogre takes a massive 27 hit points of damage. Unfortunately he starts throwing up as well due to the stench, but is still able to attack, unless...

Ogre needs to make a save vs. Paralyzation.

The other five creatures face the door and the onslaught of adventurers coming in. Their initiative:

[1d6] = 3

I think I need initiative from the party.

HPs: Elwita - 51/54; Ogre - 18/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 42/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 40/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 25/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Lantern - (1 pint oil = 4 hours) 30' radius; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-4/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by Alethan »

Initiative [1d6] = 6

Freda hisses, "Undead! Bring our clerics to the front! Get them off of Ogre!"

Then she launches a barrage of (non-magical) arrows into the group of ghouls charging at the door...

To Hit, Missile (THAC014) [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16
Damage, Arrow [1d6] = 4

To Hit, Missile (THAC014) [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7
(pretty sure that misses; let me know if it doesn't and I'll roll damage for it)

To Hit, Missile (THAC014) [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5
(... grrr)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by dmw71 »

Hopefully I am not missing anything, but I believe this to be a summary of events thus far:
"They will attack Ogre first."
[link]
"Ogre needs to roll a save vs. Poison."
[link]

Ogre's failed save against poison [link]. (This might have actually been a save versus paralyzation [link], otherwise a second save will be needed from Ogre.

He also takes 27 points of damage. Ouch!
"Then we'll roll inititative."
Monsters roll a 3 [link]
Party roll a 4 [link]
"Blodgett, Elwita and Freda can attack in Round 1 as long as two of you is willing to step into the room."
"Blodgett leaps into the room, steps away from the door and attacks the closest enemy."

Code: Select all

Blodgett misses:
To hit: [1d20] = 4, damage short sword: [1d6] = 1 (medium opponent)
"Elwita forces her way into the room, fully prepared to bludgeon one of these creatures with her hammer."

"Elwita positions herself inside the door and, using her specialized war hammer, swings it mightily at the nearest foul creature."

Elwita potentially hits twice:
To Hit (+2 (specialized) War Hammer) = [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24
Damage: S/M (+2 (specialized) War Hammer) = [1d4+6] = 3+6 = 9

To Hit (+2 (specialized) War Hammer) = [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24
Damage: S/M (+2 (specialized) War Hammer) = [1d4+6] = 3+6 = 9
Freda draws her sword and rushes into the room to help with the fight.

I didn't notice an attack or damage roll from Freda.
"The rest can rush into the room to attack, use missile weapons (remembering Ogre and whoever rushes into the room become viable targets) or spells."
"As there are now creatures between her (Eljayess) and Ogre, she stabs out with her spear, looking to skewer one."

to hit [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 dmg [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7
"(Phanstern) tries his best to toss Ogre's shield to a spot in the room where the hulking warrior can grab it." Additionally, if possible, "Phanstern lights his lantern."

"Dread moves up to the doorway, does not enter but takes position on one side."

"As soon as he (Karraway)hears the sound of battle errupt, he remains ready to either follow his companions into the room or lead a retreat back down the hallway."

To the best of understanding, the only potential responses from the party would be:

Freda's attack/damage roll(s)
Ogre's potential save against paralyzation and hopefully attack/damage roll(s)
Actions from Kayen

[UPDATE:]
Freda posted an initiative and attack post a moment ago.

Freda can clarify as to whether his character drew her sword and rushed into the room or launched a series of arrows. The resulting attack roll and damage fallout can be clarified at that point as well. However, the call for the clerics to the front of the party should definitely remain in either event.

Kayen?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Computer +1 »

Ogre's roll vs paralyzation:

[1d20] = 17

OOC- I am dead meat :(

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

(Sorry for the change in action. I was under the impression that there was one group of ghouls surrounding Ogre. If that were the case, then I would not fire into them for fear of hitting Ogre (per OSRIC Ranged Attack Rules). But since the GM indicated there was one group of ghouls (for that is what they are) attacking Ogre and another group of 5 going for the rest of the party, I figured I could shoot at the second group and not chance hitting Ogre.

It doesn't matter to me, either way (he says, since his second and third shots missed). But if my unmodified first attack hits w/sword, I'll have to roll different damage dice.)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#72 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett will swing again at the beast closest to him:

To hit: [1d20] = 14, damage short sword: [1d6] = 4 (medium opponent)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by rredmond »

I'll catch us up. Thanks for the initiative link, I thought I saw it somewhere, but since it wasn't in the Action thread I lost it.
As for the save, no, the first was against poison, the second is against paralyzation.
This round is a bit messy, but I'll try and do half of it so's not to lose track... hopefull.
Party wins initiative. Not by much though, so casting times may count.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

Computer +1 wrote:Ogre's roll vs paralyzation:

[1d20] = 17

OOC- I am dead meat :(
Nope you needed an 11 or higher. You passed, but the failed Poison save means you are throwing up and fighting at -2 to hit.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by Alethan »

Per PM, damage for sword attack...

Damage, Long Sword (S/M) [1d8] = 3

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex - Beginning of Round 1

Thanks for the summary Dave, except where noted we are dead on. Organization like that you should DM a PbP here!
The party wins initiative so we'll do almost half the round :) sorry for all the confusion, work has been crazy, likely good crazy, but crazy. To make less confusing I'll try to tell you what's still needed at the end of the post.

Seeing their comrade take massive hits and damage from the creatures, Elwita, Eljayess, Blodgett and Freda rush in to take places in the very crowded room. At this point, there's no room for anyone else, so Kayen won't be able to make it in if he wanted. The rush gives the crew the advantage and they attack first:

Elwita, Ogre and Freda are specialized thus attack first, and last this round. (We'll have to wait for Ogre's rolls.) Elwita is able to completely crushes one of the creature with her hammer, a perfect indent of her hammer in it's rotting head, sending to the floor no longer moving.
Freda is able to hit once with her sword causing obvious damage, but it is still attacking.
Ogre will attack twice on the creatures attacking him.

Eljayess is able to spear one causing it severe damage, but it looks to press on with it's attack.

Blodgett misses with his attack.

Everyone jumps as a shield clatters into the room. Phanstern starts to ready a lantern.

Karraway ensures that the rear is guarded, and Dred moves to the door to keep track of what's going on.

I need two Long Sword attacks at -1 (-2 for throwing up, +1 magical sword) and damage as normal for Ogre as it is a double attack round for those who are specialized. I need an attack from Kayen.
I have a second attack from Elwita and Freda already, so that's good.
After these are resolved, I'll run the creatures' attacks.
I have another attack for Blodgett, but that will have to wait until Round 2 - after the bad guys attack, and initiative has been rolled again!

HPs: Elwita - 51/54; Ogre - 18/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 42/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 40/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 25/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Lantern - (1 pint oil = 4 hours) 30' radius; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-4/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:...Freda hisses, "Undead! Bring our clerics to the front! Get them off of Ogre!"
As soon as Karraway hears the ranger's words, a tingle of both dread and resolve shoots down his spine. He quickly moves his mace to his shield hand and grasps his silver holy symbol hanging on the thick chain-necklace about his neck, spinning around and turning to elf fighter/mage as he does so. "Kayen, hold the rear!" he whispers.

"Make way!" calls out the cleric in a forceful yet hushed tone as he pushes his way up to the doorway and steps through to confront whatever Freda was speaking of, holding the silver holy symbol of the blazing sun out in front of him.

As soon as he sees the undead, he holds the medallion of his god forward to the length of the silver chain about his neck and raises his voice in an authoritative and commanding tone not normal of his usually calm demeanor. "By the Power of Mighty Pelor, I command thee! Begone foul spawn of the dead!"

Karraway's Turn Attempt roll:
[1d20] = 13

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2985

(EDIT: Ron, granted that Turn Attempt is successful, can you roll for the number of undead turned?)

OOC: Ron, I realize that I had already submitted a response for Karraway's action, which for all intensive purposes was a 'holding action' at rearguard. As soon as Freda calls out about the undead attacking at the start of her action, the cleric will immediately respond and follow through with the above actions. If it's determined that he would not be able to respond and push his way up into the doorway to make a turn attempt against the undead in the same round, he will do so immediately when able!
Last edited by Argennian on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Computer +1 »

Ogre's attack rolls:

Number 1
[1d20] = 2

Number 2
[1d20] = 6

Ogre wildly swings his sword twice, trying to keep his attackers off him. Between the throwing up and the wound already suffered his actions are of a brutal desperation and lack any skill or finesse.

GDI I AM SCREWED!

Llama
Runner
Runner

#79 Post by Llama »

Kayen squeezes against the wall, allowing Karraway to slip past and enter the room. He takes the rear position, watching the hallway and readying a javelin, hoping his ears will let him know if he is also needed in the room.
Kayen Telva - 4 Fighter/4 Magic User - Slaves Pits of the Undercity

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:
OOC: Ron, I realize that I had already submitted a response for Karraway's action, which for all intensive purposes was a 'holding action' at rearguard. As soon as Freda calls out about the undead attacking at the start of her action, the cleric will immediately respond and follow through with the above actions. If it's determined that he would not be able to respond and push his way up into the doorway to make a turn attempt against the undead in the same round, he will do so immediately when able!
In the spirit of move-attack-move, I'll allow it this round.

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”