House Rules and Questions to the DM

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

House Rules and Questions to the DM

#1 Post by rredmond »

I try to stick pretty close to OSRIC, I use the 1E books for any clarifying rules (how's that for a switch up eh?) :)

As said before I'll entertain creativity in any way I can, not a big "kill da PCs" kinda DM, but it happens. But though Characters die, Players can play on. We'll work that out when it happens... Post any questions in this thread and I'll answer them and post anything needed in this first post. We'll get some quick/easy stuff out of the way:

Asking for a 3 posts per week, I'm going to try and post Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings to give all a chance to respond. I'll look for a response from each of you just to be sure everyone's involved. We'll adjust this as necessary.

Die rolling will be done as the player prefers - preferably online at the unseenservant die roller ( http://www.unseenservant.com/ - campaign ID is 57), but if you want to roll it with live dice, then go ahead and just report the results. To roll your dice "on the table" as it were, just try and set up some macros at the unseenservant roller. There are instructions in the forums above the Play-by-Post campaign. ToniXX is helpful, and most of the folks from the Legacy of the Unknown campaign who are here (ToniXX, Alethan and Argennian) can help as well.

Using the OSRIC Rules as close as possible, minus the double specialization, definitely using segments. So casting time matters.
Download Version 2.2 of the OSRIC rules here: http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/

Standard initiative rules, you can "move, attack, move" but I generally assign a segment cost to that as reasonable. You do need the 5' of room to attack effectively, and missile fire into melee puts all (not just the enemies) at risk - you can't target a single target when using missile fire if there is a group bunched together. So if your comrades are fighting in melee with the BBEG, and you take shots at the bad guy, then there's an equal chance your comrades could get hit (size is taken into account.)

I don't use weapon speed, so tied initiative goes off simultaneously. Those who are specialized will (against single attack foes) act outside of initiative. They attack first (in segment 1), then everyone else attacks as per initiative, then they attack last (in segment 9). If they are up against other 2 attack folks, then initiative decides who goes first in those cases. Fun, fun!

Going to try and organize posts as such:
Strategy thread - the group is assumed to have been together for some time and fought together, verbal and non-verbal communication can be assumed, and this thread can be used to organize party actions.

Standing Orders thread: this for the marching order, the actions for your character if you need to be away from the game for a length of time... this is the first time I'm using it, so we'll see.

Adventure thread - post = action. When you know what you are going to do, you post it here and it becomes your PCs action. Results of called actions and enemy response will be put here as well. This is essentially the campaign journal as well! See the Legacy thread for examples on how I run it. Just be careful, if you post an action there, I'll take it as such.

Out of Character thread - for OOC posts.

For going below zero you are incapacitated for days equaling 19 - your PCs CON score. I'm thinking the module will last only one in-game day (but the Legacy folks were supposed to be done with the pass in 9 - 10 in game days. :D ) so going below zero may be problematic... but we'll see how it all works out. Also, if somehow it goes more than one in-game day, then we'll deal with MU/Illusionist spells at that point.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: House Rules and Questions to the DM

#2 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote:
ToniXX wrote:Generic thief ability: [1d100] = 52
(He needed 27% or less)
OOC: Are we, the players, supposed to roll ability checks (e.g. hear noise, find traps, etc...), or the DM?
For the ability checks involving things like this the DM should roll. In this instance I'm wiling to let it go. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

Javelin of Piercing: This weapon is not actually hurled, as when a command word is spoken, the javelin of piercing launches itself. Range is 60', all distances considered as short range. The javelin is +6 “to hit“ and inflicts 7-12 hit points of damage. (Note this missile will fly horizontally, vertically, or any combination thereof to the full extent of its range.) The magic of the javelin is good for only 1 throw.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

In the abscense of an online DMG or PHB (perhaps one could be put into the forum?) I wanted to check if Javelins of Piercing could be used by non-fighter types?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Stirling wrote:In the abscense of an online DMG or PHB (perhaps one could be put into the forum?) I wanted to check if Javelins of Piercing could be used by non-fighter types?
To answer your main question, I believe the restriction is that they are usable by anyone who can use a javelin.

To answer your secondary question, we (Forum Moderation/Administration) are not going to allow a thread under the General forum heading specifically for links to copyrighted material (see Rule #4 here).
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:
Stirling wrote:In the abscense of an online DMG or PHB (perhaps one could be put into the forum?) I wanted to check if Javelins of Piercing could be used by non-fighter types?
To answer your main question, I believe the restriction is that they are usable by anyone who can use a javelin.

To answer your secondary question, we (Forum Moderation/Administration) are not going to allow a thread under the General forum heading specifically for links to copyrighted material (see Rule #4 here).
Also, I just checked the DMG and rredmond copied the entire text under Javelin of Piercing earlier when he said...
rredmond wrote:Javelin of Piercing: This weapon is not actually hurled, as when a command word is spoken, the javelin of piercing launches itself. Range is 60', all distances considered as short range. The javelin is +6 “to hit“ and inflicts 7-12 hit points of damage. (Note this missile will fly horizontally, vertically, or any combination thereof to the full extent of its range.) The magic of the javelin is good for only 1 throw.
So... I guess the call of who can use it is up to the DM.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Actually the table on DMG pg 123 shows that only fighter types can use that particular weapon.

I know it sounds odd, considering you aren't actually hurling it, but I'm guessing that gets you out of needing a proficiency in the weapon. We will stick with the fighter-types only being allowed. :)

Thanks!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Stirling »

not illusionist and mages then? sure it is also a druidical weapon. was hoping to give it Phanstern so he could trigger it along the western wall at the invisible target, the javelin would go around the curve like a marble in a drainpipe hopefully impaling the guy hiding on the other side of the moat.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Stirling wrote:not illusionist and mages then? sure it is also a druidical weapon. was hoping to give it Phanstern so he could trigger it along the western wall at the invisible target, the javelin would go around the curve like a marble in a drainpipe hopefully impaling the guy hiding on the other side of the moat.

Well... I think it would probably still require a To Hit roll. The +6 would counter some of the -4 penalty for fighting something that is invisible, leaving it with a +2 To Hit bonus.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

Stirling wrote:not illusionist and mages then? sure it is also a druidical weapon. was hoping to give it Phanstern so he could trigger it along the western wall at the invisible target, the javelin would go around the curve like a marble in a drainpipe hopefully impaling the guy hiding on the other side of the moat.
Hmm, I'm not sure why the DMG limited it to fighter types only. But then a potion should be able to be used by anyone, but certain ones (giant strength, invulnerability, and heroism for example) can only be used by fighters as well. Part of the magic I guess.

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”