Part 6: Revenge is Best Served Cold ... As the Grave

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Part 6: Revenge is Best Served Cold ... As the Grave

#221 Post by Zorroroaster »

()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Zhym »

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#223 Post by triplehappiness »

Nightsong is startled, both by the suddenness of the snakes strike and by the ferocity with which all members of the party immediately collapsed upon it.

Fearful that everyones attention is drawn away from what appears to be a good place for an ambush, Nightsong steps back, placing his back near a wall to cover his rear and draws an arrow, rotating his aim around the room at all the pillars, especially those most near the group as it convulses on the snake. Should anyone move to attack the group from cover, Nightsong will release the arrow.

Longbow to hit [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10 Damage [1d8] = 8

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by ybn1197 »

As you approach the snake, it rattles it's tale in warning again as it strikes out at Ubrecht but the dwarf dodges back easily. Seizing the opportunity, Ubrecht steps up and smashes the snake on the head with his mace. Bronn sidesteps out of the way of the serpent in surprise, and brings his sword around in a scything arc towards the creature but the swing is wide and fails to find it's target. Peaches fires off a sling stone at the snake. Seeing the bullet bounce of the side of its head she shouts "Booya!" at it. Pyrrhic mumbles something under his breath, taking a step back momentarily shocked by the abrupt appearance of the thing. "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?" He steps up, keeping out of the snake's striking distance, striking with his spear but the snake dances easily out of the way. Enraged, the snake strikes out again at Ubrecht, fangs latching on to the dwarf's arm piercing the armor. Save vs. poison
Giant Rattle Snake: Snake: Attack [1d20+4] = 2+4 = 6 Damage: [1d4] = 2
Ubrecht: Mace (THAC0 19): [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21, Dmg [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7
Bronn: Two Handed Sword: To Hit [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12, To Damage [1d10+2] = 7+2 = 9
Peaches: To hit with sling [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19, Damage with sling [1d4] = 2
Pyrrhic: To hit with Spear: [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6, damage: [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5
Snake: Attack [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17 Damage: [1d4] = 2
Round Two

Bronn 13/14; Dren 14/14; Nightsong 21/21; Peaches 8/8; Claude 6/6; Pyrrhic 20/20; Ubrecht 9/17 (awaiting save vs. poison)
Snake -9

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#225 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic hollers out "Didn't you hear it's warning? Why are we fighting this thing? If we back away slowly, perhaps it will live and let live."
Pyrrhic slowly steps back, keeping his eyes on the snake.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Zhym »

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by ybn1197 »

Ubrecht feels an intense burning sensation from the site of the snake bite. A sensation that is quickly making him ill.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Zhym »

Well, it was nice playing with y'all...

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Feel my bite, degenerate invertebrate!" Bronn slices at the snake, hoping to rend it in two.

Two Handed Sword: To Hit [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18, To Damage [1d10+2] = 8+2 = 10
Initiative: [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

Now that's more like it!

"Can anyone aid Ubrecht?"
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#230 Post by SocraticLawyer »

ybn1197 wrote:Ubrecht feels an intense burning sensation from the site of the snake bite. A sensation that is quickly making him ill.
Peaches stows her sling, cursing in Orcish as she rushes to Ubrecht's side.

"I'm gonna suck the poison out. Just go with it!" she tells him. She performs a most unladylike act upon the site of the bite.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by ybn1197 »

Ubrecht, feeling the poison burn his arm, steps back in desperation. Bronn jumps into the opening and slashes mightily with his sword, cleaving the giant snake in two. Looking back he says "Can anyone aid Ubrecht?" Peaches rushes over to the dwarf. "I'm gonna suck the poison out. Just go with it!" she tells him.
Giant Rattle Snake: Snake: Attack [1d20+4] = 3+4 = 7 Damage: [1d4] = 2
Ubrecht: Feeling the effects of poison
Bronn: Two Handed Sword: To Hit [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18, To Damage [1d10+2] = 8+2 = 10
Peaches: Attempts to suck the poison out
Pyrrhic: Waiting for action
Peaches begins to suck the poison out of Ubrecht but fears the poison is too strong to remove its effect.

Bronn 13/14; Dren 14/14; Nightsong 21/21; Peaches 8/8; Claude 6/6; Pyrrhic 20/20; Ubrecht 9/17 (poisoned)

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#232 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic looks upon the scene with despair, then anger.
"No. I am not losing another soldier to this pit."
He turns and punches his crimson gauntlet into the stone wall.
"Moradin!", he yells. "You send your faithful into the dark and forgotten places of the world, but yet this is how it ends? Your humble servant laid low by a thing who slithers in the darkness? A thing that is friend to goblin and kobold? A thing who at this point shows more power over your creation than you?"
Pyrric spits on the ground
"Perhaps I do not understand Dwarfs, perhaps I do not understand Gods, perhaps I don't understand the way you work, but I will not forget the day the serpent tried to take the power from you, and the Men..." Pyrric beats on his chest armor "... who saved your dwarf. If you do not see fit to cleanse his body, then give me the strength and stamina of the hill-folk to get him back to one who can. I will sing your praises and aid all Dwarves I meet. If friend Ubrecht passes beyond the mortal Veil, I will drink his memory with every tankard, and tell all who listen the story of the mighty serpent who bested the Dwarf-father."

Pyrrhic regains his composure and turns to his companions, and begins shucking off his pack and weapons.
"Lift him up and bring him here. I will run him back to Helix. Moradin willing I can get him to a healer before the poison gets to his heart. Unless anyone has better ideas...."

I'll drop everything but my armor, as that would take a lot of time to take off. Assuming everyone agrees, I'll then literally run full speed, carrying the dwarf, back to town.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by ybn1197 »

What does the rest of the group do while Pyrrhic attempts to get Ubrecht back to Helix?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Zorroroaster »

Bronn helps get Ubrecht loaded on Pyrrhic's shoulders.

"Yours is a valiant and noble deed. I believe it will be too dangerous for us to continue along without both of you. Either we return to Helix behind you carrying your equipment and meet your there later, or we make camp outside the barrow and wait for your return. What do the others think?"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by ybn1197 »

Do we still have Peaches, Dren and Nightsong?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#236 Post by SocraticLawyer »

"I don't know about you guys," says Peaches, "but I could use a drink. Let's get out of here and get him fixed up."

edit: sorry for the delay!

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#237 Post by triplehappiness »

Nightsong feels strange agreeing with someone who calls themselves "Peaches" but nonetheless it is true.

"I feel we're too vulnerable in such a place when not at full strength. We should return to town, make sure UBrecht is well and restock before venturing further into these dark places."

Yeah, sorry, me too. Wife had a baby 2 weeks ago and my recreational computer time is down to almost zero.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by ybn1197 »

Pyrrhic carries the fallen Ubrecht, running as quickly as his legs can carry him. The mud of the Barrowmoor sucks at his boots making him work that much harder for the next step than the one before. He keeps speaking to Ubrecht, urging the dwarf to remain awake, that they will be in Helix before too long and Ubrecht will be fine. But the trek proves difficult, running through a swamp in armor. It is a 10 mile journey and takes 4 hours under normal conditions to march from the village. By the time an hour has passed, Ubrecht's breathing becomes labored and shallow. Keeping the dwarf awake and aware becomes more difficult as the poison racks Ubrecht's body. It is not long after that Pyrrhic is unable to get any response out of the dwarf.

Sorry Zhym. The poison takes effect in 1d6 turns. 1 turn is 10 minutes in LL. I rolled a 6. But even still, there is no way a person on foot could make the run from the dungeon to the village in that time. I did some research and the army allows 3 hours to go 12 miles carrying a full pack (which is 70 pounds.) There is no chance Pyrrhic (wearing armor) could have made it. You are more than welcome to create a new character and continue the adventure with the group if you want.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#239 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic drops to his knees in the swamp, the rain pouring down all around him, splatting on the pale face of his departed companion. Gingerly laying the Dwarf down, Pyrrhic turns and starts punching his fists to the ground, shouting downward.
"MORADIN! God of nothing! You let your loyal servant be laid low by the weakest of creatures. One who crawls upon his belly and hides in the darkness. One who fears even the goblins and kobolds. One who apparently has more power than the creator of the mountain men. Moradin, God of lies and deceit, I will not rest until I see all the good Dwarf-men turn their back on you realize you for the sham you are. Every breath will tell the tale of your weakness, and the tale of the Heroic Ubrecht MorgenMorgen, a Dwarf who faced adventure bravely despite being backed by an impotent God. When my time comes, Moradin, I will not fear it, I will sojourn the afterlife searching for your halls to make you answer for what has happened here this day."

Pyrrhic spits at the ground and slowly rises, gently picking the corpse of Ubrecht back up.
"Well friend, let's go visit Marcus. I owe him some gold anyway."

Thanks for the real-world check on running times / weight, GM!

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#240 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Peaches takes a slow, nonchalant step back from Pyrrhic, just in case Moradin chooses that moment to strike him down. When the moment passes, she opens up a small hip flask and pours an unknown liquid out onto the ground, then taking a sip herself with a nod to the sky.

Afterwards, she continues the march into town with the rest of the group, her manservant Claude guarding her six the whole way.

Return to “Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)”