Chapter 6: Escape from the Prison World - Dark Beginnings

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: Escape from the Prison World - Dark Beginning

#261 Post by onlyme »

Grognardsw wrote:Deceidon attempts to pick the lock, but somehow makes it even more locked.

Deceidon Percentile Roll [1d100] = 100

FYI--- In another game yesterday evening, someone rolled 100's twice in 5 minutes. It is possible the dice roller randomizer was not up to snuff...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Rukellian »

onlyme wrote:...Meanwhile Whitsell looks for something to use as leverage in case they need to brute force it.
Inspecting the room, you find various tools and equipment used for torture in dungeons, to name a few items:

Chains, Stretching Racks, Embalming tools, Hot Irons, Iron Nails, Spiked clubs, Whips

Perhaps with some creative thinking, some of these items can be used to bend the bars apart or perhaps break them all together, Whitsell thinks to himself.
Grognardsw wrote:Deceidon attempts to pick the lock, but somehow makes it even more locked.

Deceidon Percentile Roll [1d100] = 100

"Ah, it must an enchanted lock, for it refuses my efforts," says Deceidon. "Who did this to you my King?"

Deceidon attempts to manhandle the lock apart, and breaks a fingernail.

Bend Bars [1d100] = 24

"Aye, a powerfully ensorcerelled lock it must be."
The king looks up towards Deceidon with a weak outstretched hand and tries to mouth some words, but can't seem to do so well. "----se s--- m- -ro--er..." He ends in a coughing fit and slumps backwards, drained from the looks of things. His breathing is slow and his eyelids lay heavy, his eyes just barely open.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn desperately looks around the room and spies the stretching rack.
"Whitsell! Is the chain or rope long enough to stretch from this cage to that rack wheel? It might be strong enough."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by onlyme »

tooleychris wrote:Flynn desperately looks around the room and spies the stretching rack.
"Whitsell! Is the chain or rope long enough to stretch from this cage to that rack wheel? It might be strong enough."

Whitsell inspects while saying.
That is a capital idea. Hopefully, we can make it work.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by tooleychris »

Rukellian wrote: Perhaps with some creative thinking, some of these items can be used to bend the bars apart or perhaps break them all together, Whitsell thinks to himself.
Sorry I missed that "whitsell thinks to himself " part. Totally stole your thunder Onlyme. Apologies. I owe u 1

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by onlyme »

tooleychris wrote:
Rukellian wrote: Perhaps with some creative thinking, some of these items can be used to bend the bars apart or perhaps break them all together, Whitsell thinks to himself.
Sorry I missed that "whitsell thinks to himself " part. Totally stole your thunder Onlyme. Apologies. I owe u 1
No worries. He just said what whitsell was thinking.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Rukellian »

A quick inspection of the metal chains proves that it is in good condition and that the coil is long enough for the job. Whitsell feels confident that he can rig the items up to pull the cage open using the stretching rack, or at least widen the gaps between some of the bars.

Given Whitsell's strength and knowledge of metal working, I will consider this task easy enough to not warrant a roll and will prove successful.

Sorry for all the fast forwarding but here we go...

The king is now in the group's safe custody and all currently known threats have been neutralized. What is your group's next course of action?
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:"Perhaps you are not as well-informed as I thought," says Elethil. "No doubt that is a side effect of killing men of knowledge instead of learning from them."

The elf contemplates Dufonte for a moment then nods, as if reaching a decision. "This, stated briefly, is what I know—or at least believe that I know. Fenrin has been playing with the threads of reality itself. He has an artifact that can create new planes of existence. As of this morning, I was an occupant of one of those planes. It was there that I met the unlamented Sunshine. I also met others, including this man Rand."

"While trapped in that dimension, Rand and I learned of Fenrin's plans for this world. He has made a deal with the demons of the Abyss to resurrect what he would call 'true magic.' He plans a dark war that will envelop the world, creating a new world order that he alone would control. Those who help him are promised dimensions of their own to rule. Those who would oppose him—such as the Brothers of Prometheus, who, in your ignorance, you are incapable of distinguishing from practitioners of dark magics—or who could be seen by Fenrin as competition are either banished to one of his little planes, as Rand and I were, or simply killed."

The elf takes a long look at the map. "We should watch the docks in case Fenrin does decide to flee the town. How quickly could you contact your men and have them in position? Because time is of the essence, as seems always to be the case for this interminable day, perhaps we should travel to the docks ourselves. We will also need a way to identify Fenrin once we are there, for he will certainly travel under a disguise if he is able. Have you any solutions to that problem?"

What resources do the Brothers have left? We went through many of them in the rescue attempt. Are there any scrolls left? How many Brothers are there we could use for dock watch?
The Brothers have used most of their resources by now, at least the items that were still in the city that they knew how to use. There are no more magical scrolls in the city. Rand and Elethil do not know how many Brothers are currently left in the city. Some may have left after seeing their leader freed, having played their parts, others may still be waiting for further orders. You remember distinctly though that Joffrey was the only one that showed any true backbone in the group, willing to take actions when others would back down in fear.

Dufonte seems to take all the information in calmly with the occasional nod. His gaze shows an analytical coldness as he process the information given to him, but his smile... it betrays that gaze instantly and sets a strange tone upon him. Though tempting as it may be, he does not respond to the various jabs given by the elf, towards his intelligence and morals, with anger or resentment. In fact, he welcomes each one with said smile that seems highly inappropriate for the current situation. When Elethil finishes speaking, Dufonte nods his head in answer to the last imposed question.

"My dealings with Fenrin have always been done under false guise. He adopted a similar approach, not wanting to draw too much attention to such meetings. I know of some of his aliases and can give the information to the necessary people. But on the same token, this may tip him off as to my still being alive. Thanks to the illusion set up by your men, he should think me dead now, I hope, and any knowledge I may have of him buried with me. No point in wasting such a valuable advantage."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by onlyme »

Assuming the guards know their way around...somewhat...
Whitsell offers the king a sip off his wineskin and makes sure he can move. (If not, Whitsell will carry him)

He will ask the guards and Captain Hal...
Good men, To where should we take the good king for his safety? We need to remove ourselves from this place as quickly as possible. But I do not know where in the city would most likely be safe.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Zhym »

"If you don't want to tip off Fenrin to the fact that you are not dead," asks Elethil, "then what would you suggest we do?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:"If you don't want to tip off Fenrin to the fact that you are not dead," asks Elethil, "then what would you suggest we do?"
"Your plan is sound, but we cannot let Fenrin know that we know its him. If he is indeed trying escape by the docks, he will most likely take on the form of a spice trader, taking his wares to another continent or chain of islands. That is where we can act. Render the boats useless or lock the docks under some pretense of an inspection or routine inventory check of goods."

Dufonte thinks once more for a moment in silence, his gaze towards the desk as he inspects the map. "Direct confrontations with magic users are always ill-advised. If you cannot take a target out from a safe distance, trap them, or impede their efforts, sometimes its best to wait it out and keep close tabs on them. Given the fact that your Brothers oppose most forms of violence, the indirect path may be the best for their roles. My men, however many are left that is, have no problem getting their hands dirty. Would you be able to... turn a blind eye towards the loss of a few citizens, if it means the capture or possible elimination of Fenrin?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Zhym »

"Not all members of the Brotherhood are averse to violence," answers Elethil in his usual slow, steady tones. "We steadfastly oppose the use of harmful magics, of course. Such acts lead down a dark path to ruin from which few ever return. Non-magical violence, however, is left to each person's own conscience. As you saw a few minutes ago, I have no moral difficulties applying cold steel to a problem when appropriate."

He turns away and strides across the small chamber, turning back when he reaches the other side. "I cannot countenance the taking of innocent life," he declares. "Not only would it be wrong to do so, but such an act could play into Fenrin's hands. For example, it might allow him lawfully to capture us and brand us criminals or enemies of the crown. No, if we are to defeat darkness, it cannot be with acts of darkness. It must be with light."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Grognardsw »

onlyme wrote: Good men, To where should we take the good king for his safety? We need to remove ourselves from this place as quickly as possible. But I do not know where in the city would most likely be safe.
"In my travels I have learned of secret passageway from the castle to the sewers, and from there to my family's tavern," says Deceidon. He leads the way.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Rukellian »

Grognardsw wrote:
onlyme wrote: Good men, To where should we take the good king for his safety? We need to remove ourselves from this place as quickly as possible. But I do not know where in the city would most likely be safe.
"In my travels I have learned of secret passageway from the castle to the sewers, and from there to my family's tavern," says Deceidon. He leads the way.
Captain Hal, having been bandaged and resting against a wall this whole time, nods in approval. He is overjoyed in seeing that the King is still alive and now in safe hands, but a look fear flashes on his face upon seeing his current condition. "It's worse than I thought!" He chokes out. He shakes his head and closes his eyes, as if trying to deny the current truth, but there is no denying that the king has most likely been tortured and starved."My king, I have fought along side these men and trust in their judgement. I believe you will be safe wherever it be that they take you. But I fear *painful cough* that you will no longer be safe within the borders of your own city. We will need to start thinking of leaving New Dathan, soon."

If the group has no objections to this plan, Hal and his men bring up the rear as they begin to follow Deceidon.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell can only add,
"Lead on. We havent a moment to lose."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon makes his way through the castle to a storeroom down near the kitchen. He pauses to grab a mutton leg and chews heartily. He rotates a false barrel to reveal a shaft and ladder. Down and through a warren of tunnels, into sewers, then up and into safe refuge in his family's tavern compound.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:"Not all members of the Brotherhood are averse to violence," answers Elethil in his usual slow, steady tones. "We steadfastly oppose the use of harmful magics, of course. Such acts lead down a dark path to ruin from which few ever return. Non-magical violence, however, is left to each person's own conscience. As you saw a few minutes ago, I have no moral difficulties applying cold steel to a problem when appropriate."

He turns away and strides across the small chamber, turning back when he reaches the other side. "I cannot countenance the taking of innocent life," he declares. "Not only would it be wrong to do so, but such an act could play into Fenrin's hands. For example, it might allow him lawfully to capture us and brand us criminals or enemies of the crown. No, if we are to defeat darkness, it cannot be with acts of darkness. It must be with light."
"The true god has many followers, and not all of them work in the light. We carry out his will by means that others cannot or will not perform. But we are to work together, not argue, so I will not say who or what is right and wrong. If extreme measures will not be tolerated by our allies then my men will show restraint. As to the plans for catching and stopping Fenrin, how would you like to proceed?"

Dufonte does not fail to notice the overwhelming aura of exhaustion from both Elithil and Rand. After going over some calculations in his head, he nods and says in a slightly softer tone. "No matter what we plan, if our group does not have the stamina and or alertness to pull it off, it will be all for not and Fenrin will have his way. If you have no where to go, I know of a place that will take us in. Some good friends of mine own a tavern not too far from here. They can take you two in and you can think things over a meal upon awakening. Does that sound suitable? This would also give me time to find some of men, to figure out how many are still loyal."
------

Hal and the guard is surprised to see such a passage in the kitchen, even Benagal himself raises an eyebrow weakly. They do not question Deceidon though as he seems to know the path well and is sure of his choice, an insurance hard to obtain when following a man blindly.

The network is indeed vast as the sewers seem to stretch endlessly in the darkness. The skittering of rodents echo in the tunnels, the drip drops of water and splashing of footsteps. Twice, the group stops, paranoia of those above who might hear guiding the group's movement rate. But sure enough, after a half hour's time of running and tight navigation, the glow of warmth appears just ahead. Deceidon arrives at a ladder bolted into the wall. slivers of light appear through a wooden hatch up above. Deceidon raps against the wood in an odd way and waits for a brief moment. He raps again, and then after another moment of silence, a rap is heard in return.

The exchange is brief and the hatch opens. Deceidon motions for the king to go first and then waits till he is the last one before climbing up. You find yourselves in another storeroom, dimly lit at that, but the smells of a crackling fireplace can be found nearby. You are greeted by man of average appearance dressed with an apron and sporting a stylized moustache. He looks as if he could be a family member of Deceidon's, a father perhaps. He looks towards Deceidon and then towards the king. He nods in silence, a look of astonishment on his face. "I will set up the good room right away, but... does the good king need healing?" The man is alarmed by the king's condition, never mind the fact that the king is now before him in the middle of the night. 'Is this really the king?' the voice seems to say.

The man's wife joins him and greets everyone with great courtesy. "We have rooms for you all and plenty of food and drink if you need it. I assume you are all acquainted with our Deceidon here?"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by tooleychris »

"A quick bite of something warm would heal many of my own hurts." says the swashbuckler.
"And maybe some broth for his majesty. He shouldn't eat too heartily at first, I think. I wish Amberlynn were here."
Flynn takes in the room.
"A convenient exit if ever I'd seen one. Will enjoy the story behind it, I'm sure. But I think you may be right about getting the Lord out of the city. "

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell politely asks for any food and healing that might be of assistance, as long as there are enough materials and potions to help the king, Captain Hal, and even Flynn. Whitsell knows he himself is certainly down a couple pints, but knows they are in worse shape.

Aside from those discussions he mentions,
" Yes, we need to secure his Majesty. We need rest as much as anything. While time is of the essence, I dont think rushing out into night is prudent. Let us rest until morning, and then figure out what our plans are.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Rukellian »

When Zhym chimes in, or even MonkeyWrench for that matter, I will provide an update and perhaps move things along to the final chapter.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”