Chapter 6: Escape from the Prison World - Dark Beginnings

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: Escape from the Prison World - Dark Beginning

#221 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon, fighter-thief

"Soldiers, attack!" barks Deceidon upon sighting the armored foes. He kneels and shoots his bow as the soldiers and Hal pass by to engage in melee.

- Bow Attack Arrow #1: To Hit [1d20] = 17, Damage [1d6] = 4
- Bow Attack Arrow #2: To Hit [1d20] = 15, Damage [1d6] = 1

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Rukellian »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Rand quickly follows Elethil into the sewers after sending out the signal for the members to disperse.

Honestly didn't think the fight with Fenrin would go so well...
:twisted:

update coming this weekend ;)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Rukellian »

Two hollowed guards barrel down the hallway, weapons drawn and closing in. The lighting is poor, but even so Deceidon and Flynn manages to fire off a successful arrow within seconds, penetrating their target's armor weak points. Dropping to one knee, Deceidon effectively allows the archers behind him to also get some shots in safely. One of Hal's archer guards takes advantage of this situation and fires a successful arrow shot as well.

After the initial volley, Hal and one of his healthier men take to the front lines and engage in side-by-side combat. Both their swords strike true even in their cramped fighting conditions. "Samuel, if you get hit, fall back! Rodrick, get ready to switch places when it happens." Hal statements are loud and firm as he addressed his men while in combat. In situations like these, he still thinks highly of his men's safety, even if his own life is in danger.

One of the hollowed men manages to slice at Hal, but the Captain seems unfazed.

Deceidon's arrow hits its target, fortunately. Hal moves aside at just the right time for the arrow to go through. (Because it was NOT a near miss, I did not roll for friendly fire. I am maintaining the house rule set up earlier as per Zhym's suggestion.)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell takes his sword and looks for any opening to begin skewering the foes, as the melee makes arrows too dangerous.

long sword attack [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16 thac017; damage [1d8+4] = 6+4 = 10
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon switches to sword now that close combat has begun. He advances to behind Hal and the soldiers, ready to thrust if an opportunity presents.

Sword Attack [1d20] = 10, damage s/m [1d8] = 7, damage L [1d12] = 12

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Rukellian »

Following his comrade down the sewer entrance underneath the platform, Rand takes one last look at the illusion now taking shape. An eerie scene that they hoped to prevent, surprisingly fitting. With a nod of confirmation from Elethil Rand descends with him into the sewers, all before the final waves of fog lift.

As Rand reaches the solid ground below, he takes a look around his immediate surroundings, trying to find Matkinsai within the dim lighting of flickering torches from up above. A strange feeling of uneasiness seems to be taking over the thief as he recalls his and Elethil's brief encounter with Fenrin. Things went way too smoothly... Was he toying with them? To what end? Lost temporarily in thought, Rand's attention snaps back into place as he hears the sound of a foot stepping into a puddle of water.

The icy coldness that Elethil felt from earlier starts to dissipate, almost as if the pain was an illusion itself. He too is alerted by the sound of footsteps, but can see more than Rand can in the dark.

"It would seem as if Fenrin has more than one enemy of his own. You two must be quite the outstanding citizens to have gotten his attention like this, to have him react the way he did." The voice is unfamiliar, very rough and strong. Elethil and Rand turn to the direction of the sound and watches as a figure steps into their small amount of lighting. Flowing blue robes, an aged face.... Matkinsai's face. But the voice, the voice does not match.

"The charges on his ring are finite, but even with a that said, Fenrin still felt the need to use them on you two. I wonder why that is?" He pauses and falls silent, taking in their faces, the reactions to his statement, waiting...
Last edited by Rukellian on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Zhym »

"You do not sound like yourself," says Elethil in his usual slow, measured tones. He holds his sword at the ready. "Please, tell me: where did the two of us first meet and what did we speak about? Please include all details of the encounter you can remember."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:"You do not sound like yourself," says Elethil in his usual slow, measured tones. He holds his sword at the ready. "Please, tell me: where did the two of us first meet and what did we speak about? Please include all details of the encounter you can remember."
"We haven't met, I can guarantee you that much. Had we indeed, you'd have died long ago, by my hands at that. But Sunshine has failed and has paid the price for betrayal, death. I am able to live longer, thanks to you. There is some irony in this, the very individual we wanted dead, now saving me from a former ally. The true god has a strange sense of humor, don't you think?"

Matkinsai runs a hand over his face and pauses midway, slowing his hand as he starts to map the grooves of his cheeks and chin and nose. He appears surprised at first, but then closes his eyes and nods his head in understanding. With his hand still hovering over his face, he starts to intone a strange spell, or is it a prayer? You are not quite sure, other than that it is in a strange tongue, similar to the one that Deceidon used earlier in the prison realm:

"Verus dominus caelum sustulit hoc fuco obducere, nomen sanctum tuum quaero."

Upon said intoned words, Matkinsai's hand lights up in a green fiery blaze and starts to melt his face away in a vertical motion. A new face is revealed.

"Proper introductions are in order, but for now we need to relocate lest the people above grow suspicious of anything. If you would follow me, I can take you to one of my... 'hideaways'. Or if you would prefer to stay down here, and go ours separate ways, I would have no problem leaving you behind." The man's voice is cold, his words full of callousness, but he does not seem like he is lying either.
Last edited by Rukellian on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Zhym »

So, no saving throw on the effect of the axe?

Does the person now look like Fenrin? If so:

"The members of my order are prepared to die to prevent the spread of dark magics," says Elethil. He wastes no time in attacking the dangerous mage.

Long sword (THAC0 16): [1d20+7] = 17+7 = 24, Dmg: [1d8+9] = 6+9 = 15 (S/M) [1d12+9] = 12+9 = 21 (L)
Long sword (THAC0 16): [1d20+7] = 1+7 = 8, Dmg: [1d8+9] = 5+9 = 14 (S/M) [1d12+9] = 6+9 = 15 (L)

I wasn't sure whether this was a one attack or two attack round for Elethil. I'm suddenly hoping it's just a single-attack round. :)

If the person in front of Elethil does not look like Fenrin:

"Evil wound or not, I will not aid the practice of dark magic. Who are you? What do you want with us?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:So, no saving throw on the effect of the axe?

Does the person now look like Fenrin? If so:

"The members of my order are prepared to die to prevent the spread of dark magics," says Elethil. He wastes no time in attacking the dangerous mage.

Long sword (THAC0 16): [1d20+7] = 17+7 = 24, Dmg: [1d8+9] = 6+9 = 15 (S/M) [1d12+9] = 12+9 = 21 (L)
Long sword (THAC0 16): [1d20+7] = 1+7 = 8, Dmg: [1d8+9] = 5+9 = 14 (S/M) [1d12+9] = 6+9 = 15 (L)

I wasn't sure whether this was a one attack or two attack round for Elethil. I'm suddenly hoping it's just a single-attack round. :)

If the person in front of Elethil does not look like Fenrin:

"Evil wound or not, I will not aid the practice of dark magic. Who are you? What do you want with us?"
The latter. It is the face of a man that stands before you, one that you are sure you have never seen before in your travels. As the face of Matkinsai finishes melting off, the man shakes the residue off of his hand in disgust and answers Elethil's questions.

"Since you have come this far, and have saved my life, I would be willing to give you a name. But considering what Fenrin is up to, you will need more than just a name, you will need a reason to trust what I have to say. I am no mage, nor am I an ordinary man. I have many names and many faces, but this is my true one, Lodvik Dufonte, Guild Master of The Order of the Knife. As to what I want... your group's cooperation in facing the evils to come. You can say we excel in the arts of destroying evil magics. Using our martial skills, ancient knowledge, and the blessing of the true god himself, we have confronted all forms of magic and eliminated them from history, all in his holy name. Your order is the last of its kind in Kinra and I would have preferred to see it gone long ago, but now... now we need your help, as much as it pains me to admit. We need to stop Fenrin at all costs." His words start off rough, but start to smooth out and become precise and well pronounced, as if he were learned man of nobility. He fans out his arms and shows his hands, a gesture of being unarmed.

The sound of panic from up above have calmed down considerably as everyone seems to fall for the illusionary bait. They all think Matkinsai has been successfully executed, and no one has noticed that it is a trick, for now at least.

As Rand listens and bears witness to this display before him, he is struck silent, not being able to find the words or movements of body to respond. It is as if his mind is catching up to what just happened. (Feel free to jump in at any time MonkeyWrench ;) )

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Rukellian »

The last few posts have been edited to reflect changes in story content. The dialogue has changed, but most of it was retained. I apologize for the brief pause in posting, and thank you for your patience everyone.

-----

In regards to the fight taking place in the castle keep, I believe I am still waiting on Flynn's actions before I can proceed with the combat round's results.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by tooleychris »

Since its unlikely Flynn can safely fire another arrow without hitting a friendly he will strap his bow to his back and pull his thin blade in case one of the others have to fall back.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon watches Hal and the soldiers fight the empty armor suits, ready to stab any that get through.

"The gods conspire to keep us in this castle," says Deceidon wearily to Flynn and Whitsell.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Zhym »

Elethil regards the man with wary curiosity. "The Brothers of Prometheus and Order of the Knife, working together? These are indeed interesting times." The elf solemnly nods his head. "I believe, however, that you speak truth. Our interests in this particular matter are aligned. Neither of us appears strong enough alone to defeat our common foe."

"While we travel to your hideout, Master Dufonte, perhaps you would tell me how it came to be that you should find yourself wearing Matkinsai's face, nearly being hanged in his place. Not many men would take the aspect of a doomed man or put their necks in a noose meant for another. And what of Matkinsai himself?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:Elethil regards the man with wary curiosity. "The Brothers of Prometheus and Order of the Knife, working together? These are indeed interesting times." The elf solemnly nods his head. "I believe, however, that you speak truth. Our interests in this particular matter are aligned. Neither of us appears strong enough alone to defeat our common foe."

"While we travel to your hideout, Master Dufonte, perhaps you would tell me how it came to be that you should find yourself wearing Matkinsai's face, nearly being hanged in his place. Not many men would take the aspect of a doomed man or put their necks in a noose meant for another. And what of Matkinsai himself?"
Lodvik Dufonte nods his head as he starts to walk back into the darkness of the sewer network. Weaving his way through bends and downward slopes, he speaks of his previous situation. "Even I must admit that the details surrounding my change of face are hazy at best. I can only logically assume that it was cast upon me, a physical illusion. I wouldn't have any need to take the guise of a dead man and hang myself in front of a crowd, even if it were to fulfill some sort of diversionary role. As to how I got bound and moved to the gallows... I would like to find out myself."

Rand easily keeps up with the shadowy man, even within the darkness of the sewer network. He explains that this place is like his second home almost, having spent many years here hiding from his enemies. As the group comes to a stop, Dufonte shows Elethil and Rand the entrance to one of his hideaways, a boarded up hole in the wall. It resembles the same sort of entrance that Elethil encountered previously when dealing with Sunshine. Dufonte begins to pry away the boards.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Rukellian »

Flynn, Deceidon and the archer guard slings their bows and prepares for a potential melee encounter. Hal swings his longsword and deals another blow to the his opponent, but the guard fighting next to him misses. This costs him as the armored suit cuts down deep into Samuel. As per his captain's orders, he falls back after the attack. Hal himself gets struck but fairs better than the guard. It is at this time that Whitsell arrives and takes the guard's place, striking at the hollowed suit now before him. His sword arm appears to be doing much better now. "Aha! The demon slayer joins us! Come, let's finish these suits off and be done with this cursed castle." says Hal upon seeing Whitsell.

Quick recap: your group wins initiative, but Whitsell acted last. Two suits still remain and that's all you can see at the moment.

Sorry, not much of a post I'm afraid, just keeping the battle going right now.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by onlyme »

Rukellian wrote:Flynn, Deceidon and the archer guard slings their bows and prepares for a potential melee encounter. Hal swings his longsword and deals another blow to the his opponent, but the guard fighting next to him misses. This costs him as the armored suit cuts down deep into Samuel. As per his captain's orders, he falls back after the attack. Hal himself gets struck but fairs better than the guard. It is at this time that Whitsell arrives and takes the guard's place, striking at the hollowed suit now before him. His sword arm appears to be doing much better now. "Aha! The demon slayer joins us! Come, let's finish these suits off and be done with this cursed castle." says Hal upon seeing Whitsell.

Quick recap: your group wins initiative, but Whitsell acted last. Two suits still remain and that's all you can see at the moment.

What is the general battle description at the moment? Numbers on each side?
Are we all able to fight melee? I know Flynn still needs healing beforehand, if I recall.

Whitsell will continue trying to slay the foe...long sword attack [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18 thac017; damage [1d8+4] = 3+4 = 7
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Rukellian »

onlyme wrote:
Rukellian wrote:Flynn, Deceidon and the archer guard slings their bows and prepares for a potential melee encounter. Hal swings his longsword and deals another blow to the his opponent, but the guard fighting next to him misses. This costs him as the armored suit cuts down deep into Samuel. As per his captain's orders, he falls back after the attack. Hal himself gets struck but fairs better than the guard. It is at this time that Whitsell arrives and takes the guard's place, striking at the hollowed suit now before him. His sword arm appears to be doing much better now. "Aha! The demon slayer joins us! Come, let's finish these suits off and be done with this cursed castle." says Hal upon seeing Whitsell.

What is the general battle description at the moment? Numbers on each side?
Are we all able to fight melee? I know Flynn still needs healing beforehand, if I recall.

Whitsell will continue trying to slay the foe...long sword attack [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18 thac017; damage [1d8+4] = 3+4 = 7
Single corridor, enemies on one side, player group and allies on the other. Room for two fighters to fight side by side at -1 penalties tohit, a single fighter with no penalties. Only two enemies are in the corridor and right now Hal is fighting by Whitsell's side. Everyone else is on the defensive in case one of the enemies break through.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon stands ready, sword drawn, to attack armors that make it through.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Zhym »

Ethethil keeps a sharp eye out as Dufonte pries away the boards.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”