Loot and Treasure 2

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Loot and Treasure 2

#81 Post by Keehnelf »

Abi will insist on an even split, but not specific items.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Zhym »

I'd suggest not giving Abi the ring. It sounds like it might be a quest item if we ever get into Eisenloch, so it might be best not to put it in the hands of someone who is about to be out of play.

Would Abi consider the boots part of an "even split?"

Here's where I think we are with magic item distribution: [Held by] {Goes to}

A serrated +2 long sword with issues [Bromric, sort of] {Bromric}
A clenched-fist +1 broadsword of uncanny momentum [Bertram] {Bertram}
A lightning-charged +2 throwing hammer [Ulf] {Ulf}
A quick and lightweight +1 lance [Bertram] {Mokatah}
A long, narrow-bladed +1 dagger with a greenish cast [Constance] {Constance}
A +1 shield with the image of a coiled dragon [Bromric] {Galen}
A +1 shield with a lion's head relief [Martin] {Martin}
A lightweight dragon's-maw full helm [Mokatah] {Mokatah}
A thick gold ring with elvish writing that exudes a peaceful aura {Seadu?}
A pair of thick ornate gem-studded metal bracers (not magic, but -1 AC) (1,000 - 5,000 gp) {???? - Sell?}
A bone scroll case with Cleric Spells (Light, Detect Magic, Speak With Animals x2, Striking) [Krysta] {Krysta}
A broken crossbow bolt [Mokatah] {Mokatah?}
Damaged Briar Boots {????}
A small glass vial full of a congealed green substance {Krysta?}
A mithril knife {Bromric}

I think that leaves the bracers, boots, and ring the only items yet to be assigned, with the only question being whether Seadu still wants the ring now that we know the inscription.

We could get more money for the bracers, but it would be a shame to sell such a useful item. Well, I say useful, but anyone with a +1 shield will be happier with that, and anyone with a normal shield probably uses 1-handed weapons already. As far as I can tell, Abi and Constance are the only ones who would really benefit from it (unless someone with a normal shield wanted to switch to two-handed weapons), but even there, lowering an MU's AC by 1 might not be worth the bracer's value in gold. And whoever takes the bracers would get a smaller share of gold, I'd assume.

Lug would totally buy those things if he had any money. :D

Anyway, assuming Seadu wants the ring or boots, what do we do with the bracers?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by hedgeknight »

If no one wants to claim the bracers, then I say we sell 'em and split the gold.
Same goes for any other unclaimed items.
Winter is coming...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Zhym »

If we sell it, the next question is whether we sell it now for 1,000 gp in materials or "try to find a collector of fine dwarven handicrafts and potentially get five times that sum." I'm assuming we'd be unlikely to find a collector until the next caravan comes to town. An extra 100 gp each now, or maybe 500 gp each later?

Unless the Archduke or his pals turn out to be collectors of fine dwarven handicrafts.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:If we sell it, the next question is whether we sell it now for 1,000 gp in materials or "try to find a collector of fine dwarven handicrafts and potentially get five times that sum." I'm assuming we'd be unlikely to find a collector until the next caravan comes to town. An extra 100 gp each now, or maybe 500 gp each later?

Unless the Archduke or his pals turn out to be collectors of fine dwarven handicrafts.
Sell them now, for whatever we can get. The incident of the dwarven rings taught me that trying to hang onto group treasure until later is fraught with difficulties. :)
Would Abi consider the boots part of an "even split?"
Failing that, would she consider the boots and 200 gp to get 'em fixed an even split?

For the record, I am good with the split Zhym just outlined, including Krysta getting the potion (since the scrolls are going to get used up), Mokatah the crossbow bolt, and Bromric the mithril knife.

Seadu stated (on page 4) that his preference is the ring, the boots, and the bracers, in that order. So Seadu gets the ring, Abi gets either the boots (possibly with cash to fix them) or the bracers. If the DM will give her preference, I think we've got this locked up...unless there are further objections?

Regarding aiding the demon...Mokatah gave an implied Yes (saying he will help Bromric) and Seadu an implied No (saying he would require a show of good faith, and otherwise expressing distrust). Unless they (or anyone) would like to clarify, it looks like the deal falls through. Unless Demon-dude would like to change his mind?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Keehnelf »

Abi would prefer the cost to fix the boots be included in her share.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Marullus »

Spartakos wrote:Regarding aiding the demon...Mokatah gave an implied Yes (saying he will help Bromric) and Seadu an implied No (saying he would require a show of good faith, and otherwise expressing distrust).
I'd say he's shown an awful lot of good faith with little in return.
  • He has never acted against any member of the party, and still doesn't do so.
  • He answered all questions as requested, explaining himself, his desires, his magic and its boundaries, and more.
  • He even told what would happen with the Protection spell (making him more personally powerful) but allowed Bromric to beg you not to do it because his only goal is to escape a painful, agonizing imprisonment on this plane.
  • He allowed Bromric to speak to allay concerns that he is being harmed or coerced.
  • He put Bromric's prized magic shield into the pile in good faith, and allowed it to be redistributed to Galen, despite Galen being openly opposed to his interests.
  • He is offering a gift to the entire party, even those that openly wish to harm him, if five will agree to help him leave this plane.

For the party's part, several say that not only will they not agree to help him, but they will now come along with a stated intention to betray or harm him if they desire to. The visitor being willing to continue forward in the face of that type of breach of good faith speaks to his character, not yours.

Spartakos wrote:Unless Demon-dude would like to change his mind?
GM sets the rules, the magic doesn't work without five people agreeing to help. If five agree, then everyone gets items identified. If not, then they set out without them identified.

Either Seadu decides that is enough good faith and says yes, someone else changes their mind, or we proceed without it. With half of the group saying they'd rather screw him over than help him, I'd say he's being reasonable.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Zhym »

As to the gold:

Selling the bracers (somewhere, Lug sighs sadly), we have 5231.5 gp. Taking 200 out to fix the boots. I'd suggest splitting that as 550 gp each except for Mokatah, who gets the remaining 81.5 gp because he is receiving two magic items.

Any objections to that split?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Dogma »

I'm good with it as long as Mokatah is...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Starbeard »

No objections here.

Seadu is happy with the ring and the coin split, and will probably join the Quest to Free Bromric after all. 'I've got nothing else to do but waste money in town,' he says, 'and if this haul promises to be as good as the last one, I will be able to begin investing in expeditions of my own.'

Turning to Visitor-in-Bromric, he adds, 'However, my one service fee is to have my new ring (or whatever it is Seadu ends up getting) identified, whether or not the group bargain is made. Is that not acceptable?'

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:
Spartakos wrote:Regarding aiding the demon...Mokatah gave an implied Yes (saying he will help Bromric) and Seadu an implied No (saying he would require a show of good faith, and otherwise expressing distrust).
I'd say he's shown an awful lot of good faith with little in return. . . .
Here's a different perspective. What do we actually know, as opposed to what the demon has told us?
  • The demon took over the body of another sentient creature.
  • The demon registers as strongly evil.
  • The demon allowed Bromric to speak only after Bromric had been put to sleep, disarmed, and bound. When Bromric did speak, it was to convince the party that instead of trying to remove the demon from Bromric, we should unbind him and help the demon.
  • As soon as someone untied Bromric, the demon took over again.
  • The demon's opening gambit in trying to get the party to help was an appeal to greed.
  • The demon insists that it can assist in gaining entrance to the dwarven treasure chamber, but claims that it can offer no information on how it could possibly do that.
  • The demon offered to identify all items only if half the party swore to help him. That's not a "gift," it's an offer to create a contract.
"He's never acted against any member of the party" is no recommendation, either: Bromric was disarmed as soon as we could do so. Besides, "I haven't attacked you" is not the best argument for trust. And the demon's goal wouldn't be served by attacking us anyway. One hostile move, and no one would object to Ulf and Krysta throwing Demon Bromric into a cell.

Oh, and you can only "betray" someone when there's trust, or an agreement to go back on. Ulf will make no such agreement and I doubt he'd be trusted by the demon. Ulf can no more "betray" the demon then he "betrayed" the gnolls he killed in battle.

The only argument the demon really has that it should be trusted is that it told us the truth, which, perhaps conveniently, is the one thing we cannot verify until it is too late. All other actions are consistent with an evil creature trying to manipulate people. Maybe it's telling the truth. Maybe it's a creature of law bound by a curse that makes it detect as strongly evil. The simpler possibility, however, given the evidence so far, is that it's evil and should not be trusted.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Keehnelf »

Can't all these things be true at the same time? ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Marullus »

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."
- Jack Sparrow
While I'm fine dispensing treasure OOC, conflict about "what is good" should be moved IC, and into our next adventure thread. :)

It looks like Seadu is on-board.

Going on quest to reach and access the Thrice-Locked chamber: Martin, Constance, Abi, Seadu, Mokata
Maybe going, but not promising to be helpful or stick around: Krysta, Ulf, Galen, Bertram

Keehnelf - can we get all items identified, please? :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Zhym »

Fascinating. How did Mokatah shift from "Need Response" to "Going" without YamItheonly1 posting anything?

And I was the one saying the discussions about whether people would agree to the demon's demands should go IC. Glad to see you come around to my way of thinking. :P

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Keehnelf »

Mokatah already agreed to go IC.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Keehnelf »

YamItheonly1 wrote:"I can't let Bromrics life be ruined because I allowed him to take that sword, I will atone for that mistake one way or another."

Treasure wise Mokatah is fine with his helmet, broken bolt, and gold but if no one objects he will gladly grab the lance as well (as proposed by KingofCowards)
Here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zhym »

Ah. I saw no post for Mokatah between here:
Marullus wrote:Damn... you are a sadly suspicious group. ;) He's the most honest extra-planar creature I've ever played. :roll:

Going on next quest: Martin, Constance
Definitely not going on quest: Krysta, Ulf, Galen, Bertram
Need Response: Abi, Seadu, Mokata

So, with that, Abi, Seadu, and Mokata all need to agree and everyone gets magic item identification. If any one of them does not, then nobody gets magic item identification. What's the vote?
and here:
Marullus wrote:Going on quest to reach and access the Thrice-Locked chamber: Martin, Constance, Abi, Seadu, Mokata
Maybe going, but not promising to be helpful or stick around: Krysta, Ulf, Galen, Bertram

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Keehnelf »

The visitor's voice booms forth from Bromric's body: "Gathered here around this treasure, do you agree that if first I give you knowledge of the working of these items, you will aid me in my request to pass beyond the Thrice-Locked Door and return to my native plane, not seeking to hinder me in my goal or to harm me, or allow harm to befall me through inaction, unless I first harm one of you, or allow harm to come to one of you through my inaction? If five say "aye", then it is done and we can proceed."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Zhym »

"Great," mutters Ulf. "Bromric had to go and get himself possessed by a lawyer."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Starbeard »

'Aye,' says Seadu.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”