Loot and Treasure 2

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Loot and Treasure 2

#101 Post by Keehnelf »

Zhym wrote:"Great," mutters Ulf. "Bromric had to go and get himself possessed by a lawyer."
If a dude's magic works by making deals, a dude learns how to make deals ;)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

Ulf's wrong anyway. A lawyer would have everything in writing, complete with standard language such as an integration clause, an indemnification clause, and of course an agreement to have all disputes settled by binding arbitration in the demon's home plane.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Keehnelf »

Those are all part of the fine print*.

*Incantations mumbled while the party is agreeing.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by KingOfCowards »

Marullus wrote:With half of the group saying they'd rather screw him over than help him, I'd say he's being reasonable.[/ooc]
Technically speaking, I don't believe I said that I would rather screw him over, I just reserve my right to screw him over if his quest conflicts with my own interests/morals/personal feelings. You cannot be more honest than that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:Those are all part of the fine print*.

*Incantations mumbled while the party is agreeing.
Which adds motivation to agree quickly—anything not yet mumbled when a person says "Aye" isn't part of the agreement. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Marullus »

KingOfCowards wrote:Technically speaking, I don't believe I said that I would rather screw him over, I just reserve my right to screw him over if his quest conflicts with my own interests/morals/personal feelings. You cannot be more honest than that.
Exactly how a self-interested, evil being would say it. ;)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by KingOfCowards »

Disagree. A self-interested being would tell you what you wanted to hear in order to help themselves, with no intention of following through with their promises. An honest person tells you that they cannot make you any promises until you let me know what's expected. Evil, Neutral, or good should always reserve the right to disagree with a mission if it twists in a direction they did not expect.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by Dogma »

Keehnelf wrote:The visitor's voice booms forth from Bromric's body: "Gathered here around this treasure, do you agree that if first I give you knowledge of the working of these items, you will aid me in my request to pass beyond the Thrice-Locked Door and return to my native plane, not seeking to hinder me in my goal or to harm me, or allow harm to befall me through inaction, unless I first harm one of you, or allow harm to come to one of you through my inaction? If five say "aye", then it is done and we can proceed."
" I have a few conditions of mine own before agreeing to aid Bromric," interjects Martin. "Our oaths only extends as far as we will not cause harm to the others in our groups to further your quest, nor will our oaths to protect you include an obligation to die for your cause or for your protection. You must also give oath that once your quest is fulfilled and you return to your own plane, that you will cause no harm to Bertram or the others while doing so. Do you agree to these conditions?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Keehnelf »

Sorry Marullus--figured we could get the last of this negotiation out of the way quickly today now that we had a quorum :)

Bromric's body shrugs. "I have no interest in harming any of you, or I would have done so already. None of those conditions are a part of the deal we are making, but I give you my word that I will not do anything intended to harm you or your companions while pursuing this goal."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by Dogma »

"Do you agree that our oath to protect you only goes so far that we don't have to give our lives in your protection?"

Martin just wants to make sure that this isnt an expection of the entity and can't be used to make the deal null and void

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Keehnelf »

"I expect you not to stand by and watch someone else kill me if there is something you can do about it. I hope that is plain-spoken enough. I don't expect you to sacrifice yourselves vainly, but if you shrink from peril then you are not offering anything in exchange for the boon I've granted."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#112 Post by Dogma »

"Fair enough. It is not more nor less than I would for any of my traveling campanions, " replied Martin. "I will join you."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#113 Post by Mister-Kent »

"Aye," croaks Constance gently.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Keehnelf »

Abi nods. "Aye".

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:Blavern purses his lips appreciatively. "Well, gentlemen, it looks like you brought back some valuable help for us! I don't know about all that doom and mayhem stuff, but I do know information when I see it." He opens his desk and pulls out a small cloth pouch, counting ten platinum coins into his palm from it, and hands those over to Bertram. "Thank you much for your help--we'll take custody of the prisoners from here. And don't go too far. His Grace may have some questions or requests for the lot of you based on what he gets from this little one." He jerks a thumb at the rigid hobgoblin.
I assume Bertram won't object to everyone bumping their loot distribution by 1 pp.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Zhym »

"You know I won't swear to the terms you offered," says Ulf. "But I do have a question: how soon does this trip have to happen? I have some business that will keep me in town for a week, and there's a hobgoblin invasion coming."

He takes a deep breath, then looks the demon in Bromric's eyes. "Here is my offer. Stay here long enough to help defend Vaul and do so to the best of your ability. After the horde has been repelled, I will give you my full support on your quest. What do you say?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Keehnelf »

The visitor seems indifferent. "Well, until a fifth voice is added to the chorus of agreement to the deal I've offered, nothing's preventing me from signing on with the hobgoblins once they come to sack your town. But if you're stronger than they, you're my best chance at a successful resolution to this miserable excursion so once the ink is dry I'm content to wait a while. Your dwarf friend, however, is getting impatient."

I just want to take a second to call out Marullus, who's doing an amazing job of playing this visitor with really minimal coaching. I think it's a great portrayal, and me stepping in to tighten up the details just here is not a reflection on that. I'm excited to see what he does down the road--and here is where I step aside.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Zhym »

Ulf remains impassive. "That was not an answer. Do you agree to my offer or not?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Keehnelf »

You can make a side deal with him, but he will not change the terms of the current deal mid-stride.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Zhym »

Too many holes in the deal as offered. When does this help have to happen? That omission is actually in the party's favor as stated, since the deal says nothing about time being of the essence. But what if the demon decides that slaughtering nuns and orphans would help it "pass beyond the Thrice-Locked Door and return to [its] native plane?" Is everyone obligated to help him? What happens if someone breaks the deal?

Ulf is offering (against his better judgment) a different agreement, unrelated to the one the demon is offering: If the demon promises to remain in Vaul and assist with the town's defense against the goblin army to the best of the demon's ability, then Ulf promises that when the attacking force has been repelled, Ulf will assist the demon, to the best of Ulf's ability, in reaching the vault and returning to its native plane. It's that offer to which Ulf would like an answer.
Last edited by Zhym on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”