0. Prelude

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

0. Prelude

#1 Post by dmw71 »

It's late morning in the the Alabaster District of Magnimar -- home of the richest and most affluent citizens in the city. Grandiose villas and mansions line this district's streets, which are all paved of stone and kept quite clean. Even the alleyways and side streets, consisting of bricks and cobblestones, are relatively free of vagrants and accumulated trash. The district, though, is quite boring, with shops, taverns, and the like being quite rare. Aside from seeing how the wealthy live, perhaps the biggest draw in the Alabaster District are the Fogwall Cliffs, which line its far northern and eastern sides. Just over the cliff, steep but stable escarpments plunge an average of 100 feet down to the sea below. It is here where you find yourselves, taking in the impressive view.

That is when it happens.

A new mother is greeted by a friend and sets down the portable bassinet she was carrying to exchange a hug and warm pleasantries. The small infant inside the bassinet breaks free from its swaddle and climbs out of the bassinet undetected, and begins to crawl away from the view of the normally watchful eye of its mother.

A short moment later, the panicked shrill of the mother calls out. "My baby!" she cries as she frantically begins to search for her missing child. Almost immediately, four strangers rush to secure the escaping infant that they simultaneously spot crawling between two large mansions and in the general direction of the Fogwall Cliffs. An officer in the city militia reaches the child first, but the four strangers exchange knowing glances with each other, recognizing the good intentions they collectively shared.

As the crowd begins to disperse after the scene begins to calm, each of the four strangers are approached by a nondescript male wearing a cloak.
Cloaked Male.png
Cloaked Male.png (37.54 KiB) Viewed 992 times
This male does not introduce himself, he simply moves to shake the hand of each "heroic" stranger, slipping them each a rolled-up piece of parchment in the process. Before anyone is able to react, this man disappears into the crowd.

Each stranger in turns unrolls the parchment slipped to them and reads the following:
Recruitment.png
Recruitment.png (565.38 KiB) Viewed 992 times
It is still late morning when this event occurs, and the "hour before noon" is almost upon you. You are familiar with Heidmarch Manor and know it to be a short walk from your current location.

Actions?

How much your character is familiar with Magnimar will depend on how much time you, as a player, have dedicated to reading through the 'Regional Information' section. The more you've read, the more your character knows.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 0. Prelude

#2 Post by tooleychris »

Petra rolls up her parchment and smiles. The dark haired woman eyes the other strangers, mentally sizing them up by potential value or threat, then shakes her head and laughs.
A rustling occurs in her backpack as a rabbit pokes its head from the folds.
"Not now, Shelley." she says, closing the flap.
Her purple hued gaze falls back to the strangers.
"A mystery. " she smiles again. "I am Petra, and I am pleased to make acquaintance with any who might risk such a fall for a babe."
She peaks at one of the strangers own letters. "Heidmarch Manor..." she almost sings the name and sighs. "You can't comprehend how I've longed to be welcome therein. Tis fortuitous! "

Das
Guide
Guide

#3 Post by Das »

A somewhat handsome dwarf in dwarven standards stood there in noble attire holding the rolled up scroll curiously. He seemed to be carrying all his personal effects on his back but no armor and the only weapon visible was a Dwarven Waraxe strapped to his pack. Like most people in a city he didn't really go around armed for battle as it would draw undue attention. With his free hand he seemed to be spinning some kind of ring on his pointer finger, almost like a nervous tic. His gear seemed pristine, like it was either brand new or well maintained which meant he was either a skilled professional or a hopeful recruit, but one look into his eyes revealed a ruthless nature to them...and therefore it was likely the former. "The Pathfinder society...paid just to listen. Hmmmmm." He stroked his beard now in contemplation completely ignoring the introduction as he spoke to himself. Than he looked up as if realizing he had ignored the woman. "Oh wellmet, I suppose. I am Marshal Surefoot. Formerly of House Surefoot.". He didn't offer a hand or anything, and seemed intent on heading off for their meeting but was polite enough to see if anyone else had much to say.

Sleight of Hand [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 (Hidden dagger up sleeve)

K:Local [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25 (See what "tidbits" beyond the norm he might know about the Pathfinder Society and their base at Heidmarch Manor.)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Wearing clean but well-traveled clothes and a pack with a bow strapped to it, the young half-elf rolls his scroll back up with a chuckle and quietly says, "Only in Alibaster is gold given to you for seeming to worry about a human babe."

Studying the other three strangers with a long look, he takes their measure and nods. "Yes, well... Seems like fate has dealt us all into the same card game, doesn't it? Let's find out what's so important it takes four strangers to accomplish it, shall we? Name's Tyrnan, by the way. But you can call me Ty."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Das
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by Das »

Marshal Surefoot tapped his big nose with one of his fingers and gave a wink heavy with conspiracy. "Perhaps it is not as simple as that, the letter spoke of knowing our skills. So perhaps we've been under observation for sometime, and this scenario was put up for our benefit." Shrugs. "Groups like the Pathfinders enjoy playing their games to ensure they find the right people for their jobs."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Upon reading the words "Pathfinder Society," Marshal recalls overhearing a discussion about it at one point, and shares that the Pathfinder Society has existed for more than 400 years and consists of members who roam the farthest reaches of the world seeking lost relics of world-shattering power and answers to riddles older than the gods. The Society recognizes no formal bylaws, but adherence to a general code of behavior is expected of all members, and reports of activity violating this code are grounds for removal from the organization. The three most important member duties are: Explore, Report, and Cooperate.
Normally, I wouldn't share the results of a knowledge check, but what are the odds we would both roll natural 20's for the check?

Marshal: Knowledge (Local): [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Ty shrugs, "Might be right. Let's hope they didn't over-estimate us!"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ybn1197 »

The fourth "stranger" draws the hood of his cloak down revealing another man of mixed elven descent. ""Indeed, payment for my time with no expectation of involvement.One might think an offer too good to be try. And while most of the time I would disregard an offer than is too good, I certainly have the time to indulge them. Athriel Glimmergaunt at your service ut you may call me Arth."

Arth is a couple inches shy of 6' tall with a slight build. His clothes are rough and worn, more from singeing and hole punctures than road wear. Around his shoulder and waist is a bandoleer containing glass tubes filled with viscous fluids of varying colors.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

"Well met, brother," Ty says to the other half-elf with a nod. He notes the singed sleeves and raises an eyebrow.

Then, glancing at the shadows the new company makes on the pave stones, he adds, "We should make our way to Heidmarch Manor if we're to be there on time..."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by tooleychris »

"You are well met, Arth. You are all so."
Petra turns and motions the others to join her as she walks toward the place of meeting.
She nods at Marshal as he speaks. "I to have been informed that the house holds many relics and secrets of ages past. Such histories are a passion of mine, though I know not what skill I possess that might aid against any hardships the entirety of Varisia might face...nor any even worthy of being spied upon to determine my worth. "
She looks to the skies in thought as they walk. "I suppose answers will be forthcoming soon enough not to ponder their possibility. The gods work as they will."

Das
Guide
Guide

#11 Post by Das »

Marshal grumbled in general dwarven fashion. "Gods do as they will, can't stop that. But it is the machinations of men that worries me." Marshal seems to be fairly well spoken, perhaps noble in status as some point. His attire certainly showed a bit of wealth and bearing. As they walk he seems to stick to the best place tactically to avoid ambush, theft or assassination. Standing amongst the group or near buildings. He is always looking, moving his hands and his eyes. He seemed to be a very restless spirit.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Heidmarch Manor is located not far from the city’s easternmost gate, and near your current location. The manor grounds are surrounded by a stone wall, but the front gate hangs open during the day as visitors are always welcome to the manor, which has recently come to double as the first Pathfinder Lodge in Varisia.

As you arrive, you are greeted by a kindly-looking woman who asks you to please wait in the foyer. "Mrs. Heidmarch is finishing up a meeting, but will be with you momentarily," she says before quickly excusing herself.

A few moments later, before you've even had a proper opportunity to take in your surroundings, two women step into the room. The first is an attractive woman, dressed in a flowing gown of blue and green, and evidently of some means. She greets you with a no-nonsense attitude: "My name is Sheila Heidmarch," she says in an unusually deep voice. "Thank you for answering my summons."
Sheila Heidmarch.jpg
Sheila Heidmarch.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 961 times
"And this," she continues, turning to an attractive half-elven woman dressed in leather armor with a distinctive-looking mithral-and-redwood aklys and an impressive bastard sword sheathed at her side, "Is Koriah. Koriah Azmeren."
Koriah Azmeren.jpg
Koriah Azmeren.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 961 times
"Now, if you will all accompany me," she says, turning and leading Koriah and the four summoned strangers into an adjoining room. Entering this new chamber, you notice the walls are lined with bookshelves, and several tables are found in the middle of the room are heaped with scrolls and books. One table in the center, however, supports only a single object— an ornate cubical stone coffer covered with Thassilonian runes.
Paradox Box.png
Paradox Box.png (82.15 KiB) Viewed 961 times
"Please. Have a seat at the table," she says, motioning to the table with the box. “I apologize for the delay, but I really must conclude my business with Pathfinder Azmeren before we meet. In the meantime, though, I thought you could help us with another minor issue. This stone coffer --" she says, pointing at the box placed on the table before you, "Is an ancient Thassilonian puzzle, a cunning feat of magical engineering known as a paradox box." She allows you a brief moment to observe it before continuing. "As you’ll see from even a casual investigation, what appear to be seams on the sides are only shallow grooves—there’s no obvious way to open the thing. Each paradox box has its own secret method of being opened. Essentially, a paradox box substitutes hidden catches and magical triggers for a lock. Given time, anyone clever enough could figure out how to open a paradox box, just as given time, a locksmith can open any lock. This particular box was among those items recovered by Koriah—the scrolls next to the box are her preliminary notes on possible triggers or methods of opening it, but she’s not yet had a chance to sit down and properly investigate the thing. So... why don’t you put your heads together and see if you can’t do that for me? Even if the box is empty, as I suspect it probably is, knowing the method of opening it makes it a valuable find anyway. I’ll return shortly, and I hope to see that box open! Think of this as an audition, if you will—because the actual task I want to speak to you about soon will require as much wit as it will brawn!”

With that, and before anyone has an opportunity to question her, she turns and leads the half-elven Pathfinder into an adjoining room, leaving the four new acquaintances to themselves to complete her requested task.

Apologies for the delay. Today was probably one of the most non-stop, hectic days of my adult life. Also, I do not necessarily care for how this adventure begins... but, it is what it is.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Das
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Das »

Marshal rubbed his pawns together after discarding his pack by a empty chair he moved to read over the scrolls, using his youth spent reading and writing often he looked for hidden meanings or obviously clues that a casual glance might overlook [Linguistics +5, please DM]. "You know how valuable one of these things could be.' He said to no one in particular as he read over the scrolls. "These Pathfinders are a rich lot, at least the leaders it would seem."He laughed and shook his head, but he was obviously enjoying himself.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by tooleychris »

Petra examines the box. "It's beautiful. " she says tracing the ancient runes with just her eyes. I've seen a sketch of a Paradox Box in the Founders Archives, but never first hand. I may be able to decipher these symbols but I'd wager Koriah has already done so. Let us see what she has discovered in her notes ."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

When given a chance, Ty looks the box over, trying to note any differences between the six sides, in addition to the writing. He tries to determine if there is a top/bottom, as well.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

On the table, surrounded by a collection of scrolls, rests what looks like a small stone chest of ornate design that measures approximately 1-1/2 feet by 1-1/2 feet by 1 foot. Petra and Ty focus their efforts on the box while Marshal removes his pack and begins to read over the scrolls; the examination of which is not an instant process.

"It's beautiful. " Petra says, tracing the ornate detailing with her eyes, claiming to have seen a sketch of a Paradox Box in the Founders Archives. Ty, performing a more physical examination of the box, quickly notices it is actually a solid piece of stone that’s been carved to resemble a box, with no seam for a lid or hinges to allow opening. Lifting the box to examine its six sides, looking for any variations, he notices that five of the box's faces are identical, but on the remaining face, six additional runes appear -- five unique patterns and one duplicate. While the apparent lack of opening makes it difficult to determine if the box has an actual top, the side with the runes on it is as close as he can guess.

"I may be able to decipher those symbols," Petra adds, "But I'd wager Koriah has already done so. Let us see what she has discovered in her notes." she says, turning her attention one of the scrolls Marshal isn't currently examining. "I believe you may be right," Marshal states, turning the scroll he was examining, with what appears to be a translation table, for display. Comparing the symbols in the scroll with those on the box prove to be a match, and each rune can be translated back to a letter in the ancient Thassilonian tongue. Petra, with knowledge of the ancient languages, translates the six runes into six letters:

S-E-C-U-R-E

Koriah suspects that this word is somehow linked to the box’s mystery, and that the box likely belonged to a citizen of the Thassilonian nation. Further study of the scrolls reveals another important discovery by Koriah:

Each of the individual runes in the word can be reorganized by touching two runes at once — doing so causes the two touched runes to exchange places for an hour, after which time all runes revert to their original spelling of “SECURE.”

Approximately a half hour has elapsed by this point.

Actions?
-- Project --
-- DM --

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by tooleychris »

"Secure... " muses Petra. "Secure..." She rereads Koriahs notes on the touching of the runes.
"The current configuration of the runes has no apparent effect on the cubes condition... what other words might be made from them...? Do any of you know these letters? I don't suppose 'R-E-S-C-U-E' would be appropriate.. "
She searches her memory for names of historical persons or places that might match.

Das
Guide
Guide

#18 Post by Das »

Since the scrolls will take time to research fully...Marshal continues to do just that quietly now.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ybn1197 »

Arth looks at Petra with a look that is both quizzical and astonded "Why wouldn't RESCUE work? As it currently stands, the contents if any are secure. Should we manage to open the box, we would suceed in rescuing the contents."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

"Secure... Rescue..."Ty mutters, mostly to himself, thinking aloud.

After a moment, he says, "Ceruse is a white pigment sometimes used by performers as face paint." He smiles, "Maybe it is a make-up box."

"The only other word I can come up with using these letters is 'recuse', like... Not taking part in a decision-making process for some personal reason; you recuse yourself from making that decision. But I can't imagine why that word might be used."

Return to “Dave's Pathfinder Game”