IX. The Witch Towner - Third Trip

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IX. The Witch Towner - Third Trip

#261 Post by Storm11 »

Kassal again assesses the safety of the walls and ceiling and floor of this low chamber.

"Prod the body with a stick first incase it's riddled." suggests the gnome warily
Greys Campaign.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#262 Post by dmw71 »

The walls, upon closer inspection, appear to have been made by tool, and the occasional small, clawed scratch marks suggest it is the handiwork of kobolds. Aside from the collapsed section, the walls generally appear to be safe.

Anyone that moves to take a closer look at the body of the half-buried man discovers a white-haired, balding human clad in now-tattered purple robes decorated with arcane symbols. The man, matching the description of Hunclay as told by Baroness Davy, now lies crushed under piles fallen stone and earth.

Just north and a bit west of the robed male body, the remains of two more kobold bodies are discovered. The kobolds, also crushed under fallen stone, were each grasping a spade before being crushed to death.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#263 Post by Alethan »

Ciar studies the rubble with a careful eye, to see if he can tell if attempting to retrieve the body of the mad wizard would disturb it or cause any unsafe settling.

"Looks like it was just a cave-in that caused his death. But that doesn't tell us what caused the tower to collapse in the first place, unless this undermined part of the tower. Should we try and bring his body back with us?"

He studies the rubble again, to see if there is any worked stone mixed in the rubble that might have come from the tower, indicating it was directly overhead...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#264 Post by dmw71 »

Can I get a d20 roll from Ciar and Kassal? Feel free to post the results here, or in your private forums.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Storm11 »

PbP Forum code: [1d20] = 16
Greys Campaign.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#266 Post by dmw71 »

Both Ciar and Kassal, after inspecting the rubble more closely, believe that it wasn't a simple cave-in, but that the collapse was somehow engineered.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#267 Post by Alethan »

Believing it to be safe, Ciar carefully starts removing rubble from the body so that they can pull it clear for further examination.

Once enough has been removed, he pulls the body free, asking for assistance from the others. Then he begins to examine the body for anything of value.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#268 Post by dmw71 »

Ciar begins to a carefully clear away the rubble, requesting assistance from the others once the crushed form of Hunclay's body has been freed. Examining the body produces only a single item of note -- a key ring with two keys: one simple metal key and a brass key.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan moves over to help remove the rubble. He does so a bit distractedly as he keeps one eye on the opening at the other end of the cave.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#270 Post by Alethan »

Ciar adds the keys to his collection.

"Wonder if either of these would have helped with the chests? Not that it matters now, I suppose..."

He is visibly disappointed in the lack of wizard-like items on the body of the former wizard.

"I assume that's just the tunnel they dug to try and get into the lower level of the tower; doesn't look very safe. Do you think we should head back to town? I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like shite right now," Ciar says, pressing his side where the stones pierced it.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by AleBelly »

"Yes, I'm happy to return too. The scratches from that ghoul are bothering me." Sylvan searches about for some item on the wizard that will prove he is deceased.

A thought occurs to the druid. "I wonder if those keys will permit access to his manor. I seem to recall a keyhole at the door."

Finally, the young man steps towards Ciar. "Since you're leading the way out, let's make sure you're healthy."

To be done if we decide to head back - sorry to do this but I have sporadic access to internet and don't want to hold things up

Sylvan closes his eyes and places his hands on Ciar's side, chanting words in a language unfamiliar to others.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#272 Post by Alethan »

"Aye, me, too, though it wasn't the lack of a key, but the ward that killed the kobold in front of his house that worried me..." Ciar replies, gratefully accepting the healing from Sylvan.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#273 Post by Alethan »

If nobody disagrees to heading back up and making their way to town, Ciar will take one of the everbright torches and, moving a little slower than before, lead the way, saying, "Besides... we need to do something with all of this coin. Does anyone remember if there is a bank in the village? If not, then I'd recommend trying to convert as much of the coin to something else you'll find useful or portable - new weapons or armour, gems or jewels, a necklace or ring. Or we can all pitch in to see if it is enough for one of those healing wands they have at the temple I mentioned."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#274 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow helps where he can.

I'm all for getting out of here too but, aren't we even a little interested to see where that north passage leads to?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by onlyme »

Fulp nods approval toward going back to town...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Storm11 »

Kassal will do his own rummaging in the Wizards robes for such things as spell components and such like, before checking the north passage for signs of danger in its walls and floor and ceiling.

"If we are retreating with all the coin then perhaps, as we pass the chests, I could gather the silver coins I left there and try and haul them out slowly."
Greys Campaign.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#277 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shrugs, "I assumed it was just a tunnel that got them this far. We can only guess as to what events happened that caused the debris to fall on the unfortunate mad man, but I wasn't going to chance the stability of the construction. If Kas says it is OK, then we can always come back later..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#278 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ok, that sounds good then. Sparrow says.

Lets make like a baby and head out.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#279 Post by dmw71 »

Kassal performs a cursory inspection of the tunnel which leads north and determines it to be safe. With the group beat up and in need of some rest and recovery, and also armed with the knowledge of Hunclay's whereabouts, they decide to head back to town.
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#280 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before the group departs, Sparrow pays very close attention to the layout of the underground complex. He attempts to ascertain the exact direction that the tunnel leads in comparison to the layout of the land above. He also wants to take another look around outside to see if he can spot anything in that direction or find another entrance that may be hidden.

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”