Chp. 1 - Into the Shrine!

Marcanus_da_Lich
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Chp. 1 - Into the Shrine!

#421 Post by Marcanus_da_Lich »

Grindhelm the Dwarf

Grindhelm is torn for a second, having not heard the phrase written, but follows suit in attacking the statue, hoping that Azoth really is his odd-self again.

[1d20+6] = 12+6 = 18 [1d8+6] = 2+6 = 8

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#422 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Surge knows he can't bite into stone but he attacks anyway, hoping to distract the statue so the others can eliminate it. He is pleased that his master has been cared for by Kitchi and will remember that fact.

Surge Attack [1d20] = 5 Damage [2d6] = 7 +Blood drain [2d6] = 10

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam; Human male Fighter

Alex takes a deep breath and says a silent prayer that this will be over quickly and he unsheathes his enchanted broadsword and swings it around in a powerful arc at the statue in one quick motion….

Attack roll: 1d20+1 (+2 if 'enchanted'): 1d20 = 15 +1 = Total: 16 (or 17 if 'enchanted')
Damage: 2d4+2 (+3 if 'enchanted'): 1d4 = 2, 1d4 = 3; +2 = Total: 7 (or 8 if 'enchanted')

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#424 Post by Coleridge »

GreyWolfVT wrote:we're going to end up at the bottom of this ziggurat and facing tons of savages soon... how long does this fear last? Until we're dead? :shock:
Maybe the insane army of cannibal savages have lost interest by now and gone off to their local Old Country Buffet?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#425 Post by Grognardsw »

Once Azoth gives the word, the adventurers attack the statue. Blade Rain's sword and Grindhelm' axe gouge big chips away. Kitchi's tomahawk takes out more knee. Surge the weasel claws its face to keep it distracted.

The statue cracks, lines running across its body. The structural punishment is too much as the rock menace crumbles apart and is no more!

Halfway down the ziggurat stairs, Calto, Leomar, Tabai and Bruno are suddenly released from their magical fear.
No surprise, but party won initiative.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#426 Post by Dogma »

Leomar's arms stop swinging wildly as he slowly comes to a stop.

"Where did the bats go?" he says in bewilderment. "Weren't we jsut being chaded by bats?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by Dram »

Kitchi- It may be best that we go find our friends that ran off. Blade do you have any healing potions for our mage? Kitchi moves to the magic to check his wounds
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#428 Post by Coleridge »

Calto's mind clears as the soft bright air outside the pyramid reminds him he walks within Gaia's womb.

"My friends, we have been deceived by a foul illusion. Is everyone ok? Quickly, we must get back to the others and destroy that foul scepter!"

The druid, quickly turns and moves back into the temple, waiting for his companions to catch up, should they fall behind.

Marcanus_da_Lich
Tracker
Tracker

#429 Post by Marcanus_da_Lich »

Grindhelm the Dwarf

With one final huff of angry breath, Grindhelm supports himself with his axe once more. "Next time, we run. I do not feel like fighting another undead being nor living stone. I prefer both to be inanimate, thank you very much." Looking down at himself, he realizes just how hurt he really is. "Oh, and maybe we need some healing. I fear I may have a broken bone or two. Maybe three."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Grognardsw »

Calto, Leomar, Tabai and Bruno race back up the ziggurat stairs. The afternoon sun disappears again as they enter the secret stairwell back down into the depths of the Shrine.

Inside the chamber of Chitza-Atlan, site of the battles against the mummy-centaur and the menacing statue, the adventurers catch their breath.

"Thank you friends," says Azoth priest of Noden, returned to his own flesh. He runs his hands over his body and adjusts his elaborate helm. "A most strange experience. The scepter is an evil relic. I hope this is not the totem object the jungle natives said could free them from the oppressor Q'uq'umatz. I do not want to hold it, but I wonder if we should keep it?"

Azoth sees the wounded Siavel. "Let me bring healing upon our elven friend. It is the least I can do." The cleric lays hands on Siavel and miraculously the enchanter's stone-battered flesh heals, bones knit, scrapes close, bruises clear. He regains consciousness but his body is still quite wounded. Azoth again prayers for healing, and Siavel's wounds improve once more (currently at 11 HP.)

By this time, Calto, Leomar, Tabai and Bruno return to the chamber. They are relieved to see the statue destroyed, Azoth restored, and Siavel healthy again. About the room are much jewelry and nicknacks, made of beaten copper, cut and polished obsidian, shells, quartz and coral. There is also a lot of pottery with spidery cracks etching the glazing. Two pottery urns have have been made to resemble tall wicker baskets. Much of these items are scattered around where the mummy-centaur first was, which is now dust after Calto's powerful druidic decay spell.
- Azoth CLW on Siavel [1d8] = 8 Heals 8, bringing Siavel to consciousness at 3 HP.
- Azoth CLW on Siavel [1d8] = 8 Hmm, another 8. Up to 11 HP.
- A single reminder: Tabai the jungle barbarian has the barbarian first aid skill, which can restore 1 HP.
- HP status: viewtopic.php?p=180013#p180013
- A recap on what this chamber looks like:

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#431 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai if he no longer has the centaur mummy's spear retrieves it once more. "The statue said something but it does not matter at this point. I did however understand it even in my fear induced flight."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#432 Post by Coleridge »

Calto, druid

The druid surveys the room and his battered companions.

"Well Azoth, now we know for the next time the druid says not to touch the scepter, you don't touch the scepter!"

"Who is in the most need for healing? I can call upon the spirits of nature to help mend our wounds."

"Shall we proceed in our explorations, or pause to lick our wounds?"

The druid quietly scans the room, looking for any wounded or stunned bats.

Any around Grog?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#433 Post by Dogma »

Leomar will carefull examine the the two pottery urns have have been made to resemble tall wicker baskets as well as the other pottery.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#434 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siavel thanks the fortunate priest for his highly successful healing powers. He kicks around in the pile of trinkets scattered about to see if there is anything of actual value.

That was indeed an unfortunate incident. Let us be careful with what we touch in this dangerous place from now on.

The elven mage has his porter scout out down the two hallways to make sure there are no other hostile enemies to deal with. He waits safely with the others for it to return.

He then checks over Surge to see if his pet was injured while he was unconscious.

Tabai, what was that you said about the statue saying something to you?

GreyWolfVT

#435 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai "Yes. Well I thought it was important then but fear stricken I was not able to tell anyone until now but yes the statue said something in my native tongue. I believe it said Unhand me infidels! Or die a thousand deaths! Naturally at this time it should not matter."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by Dram »

Kitchi- was it the sceptre speaking or statue? I believe the mages invisible friend should carry it for now on. Unless you know of place to hide it in here.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#437 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai "It came from out possessed friend so I think it was the statue speaking through Azoth."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam; Human male Fighter

Alex takes a deep breath and lets out while closing his eyes and thanking the gods that the statue had finally been defeated. He soon ensures all his weapons are in good working order and he prepares himself to travel further into this deadly temple with his companions....

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#439 Post by Grognardsw »

As Tabai the jungle barbarian retrieves the centaur-mummy's massive spear, Calto the druid consults the injured adventurers. He finds Grindhelm the dwarf to be most injured. He sustained wounds from the centaur, bats and statue.

Siavel the wise orders his loyal unseen porter to investigate the short 20' corridor jutting from the northwest corner of the chamber. It is an extension of the room containing remnants of old furniture. The invisible servant then reconnoiters the hallway from the chamber leading back through the wind chamber and beyond. It too is clear. While this search is taking place, Siavel checks over his pet giant weasel and sees that Surge has only taken superficial damage from the swarm of bats.

Under the wary eye of Blade Rain and Kitchi, Bruno the gnome thief searches the room for secret doors or concealments and finds none. The only exit from the centaur-mummy room is the door in the north wall. His eyes on the scattered treasure, Leomar the thief notes the large urns and investigates...
"If Grindhelm's strength can be revivified some, I say we push on," advises Azoth the occultic priest. "Like Kitchi, I think it safe if Siavel's porter carry the scepter, for that way it will not touch human hands. But eventually your invisible friend will dissipate? This shrine is deadly and must guard dark secrets. Tabai if you see writing or pictures of legend or myth that you are familiar with, let us know. Learning the story of this place may help us in finding the totemic artifact that can help the native resist their oppressors."
- HP status: viewtopic.php?p=180013#p180013
- Siavel's Panguine Loyal Porter duration left: 19 rounds.
- Siavel's Thrasdrubal's Terrific Translator duration left: 11 rounds. (for talking with Tabai.)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#440 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siavel has his porter take hold of the scepter for now if the group agrees. He then looks closer at the door leading out of the room. If it seems like a simple enough mechanism, he has his servant open it.

We should stand back in case of danger.

Return to “The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (1e)”