(CLOSED) The Haunting of Griffon Manor

Antman9
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(CLOSED) The Haunting of Griffon Manor

#1 Post by Antman9 »

Caiden, Gort, Seeker, and Gorthak, reluctantly leave their new home without Zirus, at Nehteril's urgent request. "The ghosts have increased in appearance and are begining to cause a row." per Guther's relay.

The party meanders up and around the rift that has nearly parted Dragons Belch in two (see the description for the City of Dragons Belch in the Background, Persons, Places, Things thread for more information) and make their way to Bartholomew’s Item Emporium.

Bartholomew’s Item Emporium, located in the heart of Dragons Belch, wrapping itself around the tip of the chasm that threatens to spilt Dragons Belch in two, and filled with every mundane on wondrous object the heart could ever desire, is owned, operated, and managed by Bartholomew Bumblewoodtooth Grumblefoot the III, Tinker Gnome extraordinaire, entrepreneur, and retired adventurer.

If you’re looking for something in particular, you’ll most likely you’ll find it here. Bartholomew prides himself in having the cheapest and most expensive items anyone can find in the whole world. He knows every item by heart and spends hours on end cataloging, re-cataloging, sorting, arranging, re-arranging, cleaning, polishing, and admiring each and every item in his keep. And if he doesn’t have it, he can most certainly get it, and if he can’t get it he can tell you where you can find it, and if he can’t tell you where you can find it then you’ve got no business asking for it, period. His policy on rare, strange, or suspect items is don’t ask, don’t tell. Seriously! Don’t ask, don’t tell.

As the party approaches the main door a large sign hangs above the entryway that says "Sale of the Melenium: Come short come tall, come all!" The main door is a single wide solid piece of blackened hardwood. It is covered in dints, dings, scratches, embedded arrow tips, broken dagger tips, nails, tacks, and all number of other suck odd embedded implements, rusty and tarnished with age. A small sign says "Enter and Be Merry!" So the party enters and finds themselves face to face with the most spectacular sight seen this side of timbucktu.

Upon entering Bartholomew’s Item Emporium one is often struck with awe at the clackety, rackety, enormously voluminous, intricately engineered masterwork of pulleys, trolleys, wheels, ropes, ladders, slides, slopes, levers, elevators, and all other assorted mechanical device in continual operation within. A total mind bending boggle of complexity that only Bartholomew understands.

Bartholomew Bumblewoodtooth Grumblefoot III (Gnome, Retired Adventurer)
Bartholomew Bumblewoodtooth Grumblefoot III, Tinker Gnome extraordinaire, entrepreneur, retired adventurer, and owner of Bartholomew’s Item Emporium, is a jolly, often overwhelmingly joyously happy retired Gnome. He loves his job more than anything in the whole world, including his ugly wife whom he despises terribly. Seriously, don’t mention her unless you’re just itching to get thrown into the street by the seat of your pants empty handed. He’s been known to chew people’s ears or lips off just for mentioning her name, and god forbid you say anything nice about her. There was this one guy…well that story is for another day my friend.

Bartholomew himself appears from a side door and greets the party, "What manner of devilry do we have here? Party pokers? Conical conundrum cevorters? Tea time toddlers and tiaras of renown? Wait, don't tell Bumblewoodtooth, he'll get it...Graveyard insurrection duty officers, no that's not it...Oh wait, Gunther sent you didn't he. That's right its dies Martis. Yes yes yes. You are the apparition appearing specter spook operatives. Yes yes! What can I do you for my friends. For you I have all sorts of rental equipment, on Netheril's tab of course. Hahahaaa."

Bartholomew stares from one person to the next wringing his hands expectantly, "Go on, don't be shy. There aint a thing you can think of for which I ain't gots. Go on now do your best." He smiles with a broad teeth bearing grin and waits patiently.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The Haunting of Griffon Mannor

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gorthak speaks up and greets the gnome "Greetings good sir. I am Gorthak and I am humbled to meet you. You have a great shop. We seek something that might help us bust some ghosts. Might you have anything in the line of Ghost Busting?" the minotaur does his best to be joyful jolly and smiles as best he can.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by thesniperknight1 »

[Caiden Cross – Human Rouge 0] (HP: 10/10) (AC: 13)
Action: Jolly Mode Activated

Caiden smiles widely, "Hello my gnome friend, it seems you like to rhyme. As for what I want? Everything if it's on Gunther's dime. I want a rope that extends for miles, but with the click of my fingers it returns in a pile. I want a pair of lenses that enables you to see the past and a pair of boots that will forever last. I want the moon, the sun and the stars all, it might be greedy but I am human after all. But in all seriousness I want arrows that loom, and can send a spirit with one shot to its doom", he looks at the gnome expectedly.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by MonkeyWrench »

["Seeker" Jyrbian Talanador of the Bleeding Eye - Lvl 0] (HP:10/10) (AC:11)
Action: Emporium Visit and local rap training?

Seeker strides into the places, taking a brief moment to look at the vast array of mechanical contraptions, his staff in hand and tapping the ground with each step. Seeker looks to the gnome as he gives his rhymed speech, and then looks to the others as they attempt to rhyme back with a look that speaks to the levels of oddity being attempted before him.

When the others are done having their fun Seeker speaks out to the Gnome, "Yes, we are the ones that have been tasked with destroying, and resolving, the wizards astral apparition problem. If you truly have all that we may need, then where would I locate a device capable of sealing the rift that these lowly specters feel the need to pour from?"

"You'll find it right over there, under the labels, your moms, and fat ass"

Seeker gives his staff a hard stare, "Must you be so disobedient?! Talking to your master in such a way? Have you no pride?! Or did your creator simply not have the brains necessary to craft manners?!"

"Hey, Don't blame me. It's hardly my fault that your mothers large posterior is so renown it's made it's way to this emporium."

"Enough with your slander! You will hush yourself Or I will ask this gnome for a gag!"

The staff repeats in a mocking and patronizing tone, "You will hush yourself Or I will ask this gnome for a gag!"

Seeker then beings to slam the staff's head into the nearest solid surface. Looking back to the Gnome expectantly, "Well? Do you have what I seek? I do not have time to dawdle with you!"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by badams30 »

Gort - Savage

Gort approaches the gnome cautiously, standing beside Gorthak. At Gorthak's request for ghost busting items, Gort nods and says "Yeah, Gort aint' afraid of no ghost." He says just above a whisper to Gorthak "Uhh, what you think Gort should get? Gort no bust ghosts before, just orcs. But Gort think maybe some of that stuff you drink what makes you feel better, that might be reallll good to have... maybe."

Gort will dutifully stand by Gorthak waiting.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Haunting of Griffon Manor

#6 Post by Antman9 »

Bartholomew listens intently and then addresses everyone in turn.

The Ghost Trapper
(Caiden)
Bartholomew looks sharply at Caiden and shakes his head. “You crazy Humans cain’t have enough cans ya.” He works some levers and a strange looking device comes shooting out of an opening in and across a conveyor belt. Bartholomew hands the device, made entirely of wood, to Caiden. “I call this here traption the Ghost Trapper.” It consists of a long shaft, several feet long with a narrow slot running the length of it and a jumble of heavy spider thread-like material protruding from the end. Attached to the other end is a shoulder stock with two dials and a trigger mechanism. A length of the spider thread comes out of the barrel at the stock end and hangs out several feet. Bartholomew tells Caiden, “This here,” he points to the thread hanging out at the stock end, “you attack to your waste. You place the stock, this part here, (he points to the stock) goes against your shoulder. You sight the ghost along the barrel here, (he points to the shaft) and then pull the trigger. Well, I’ll tell you, a long string shoots out of the end and lassos the ghost so as to it cain’t get away. Then you can have your mates whack it or something. This dial on top is to retract the Spider thread if you miss, just lay a length of the thread in the slot in the top of the barrel and operate that dial, it will do the rest. This other dial at the bottom is to set the trigger once you’ve reeled in the thread. Be careful who you shoot with this here thing now, cuz anyone who ain’t a ghost wills get a might pretty shock.

The Hammertime Ghostbuster
(Gorthak)
Bartholomew works a series of dials on a nearby control panel and a bin shows up a moment later from a portal nearby. He opens a large basket and pulls out a massive hammer with a thick beefy dark wooden handle, perfect for Gorthak’s big burley hands, and a massive metallic looking head with all sorts of crazy scrawls and strange symbols covering every inch of it. “This here is the Hammertime Ghostbuster,” he says. “If you can get a whack on him, the ghost that is, you’ll knock him for a loop.” Bartholomew flips it around on one finger, throws it high into the air, and deftly catches it again like it weighs almost nothing. When Gorthak takes it he realizes it really is light. So light in fact that it feels as if it would cause no damage at all, light as a feather it feels. Bartholomew reassures him, seeing his look of speculation, “That there will do it, if it’s ghosts your busting. Won’t do tar zip to anything else though. You can try if you like, but my guess is all you’ll get for your trouble is embarrassments and heckles. Them scrawls glow bright red and orange when a Ghostfolk is nearby. Might handy I’d say.

Knocks any ghost senseless for 1d4 rounds.

Ghostmead of Succor
(Gort)
Bartholomew eyes Gort carefully, “Hmmm, the grog you like is it. I think I’ve got just the thing for you lad.” He pokes a button and yells something Gnomish into a funnel protruding from the panel nearby. He smiles and looks from one party member to the other, smiling the whole time and saying nothing. A few minutes later a short stocky Tinker Gully Dwarf comes ambling in with a small stoppered vial shaped like a Toad. The stopper protrudes obscenely from the Toad’s butt. Bartholomew takes the 4” toad and hands it to Gort. “This here is known as the Ghostmead of Succor. Take one nip of this here mead and you’ll be granted the physical manipulation of ghostly apparitions. Mean I that you can physically touch them ghosts with your bare hands, grapple if you will them suckers. But only with yer bare hands. Weapons still won’t do squat, less of course they’s is magically inclined to so as such. Stuff tastes like deer piss and burns like lava going down, but this here is affective as it gets. Yep.

Holds 6 sips
Duration: 1d6 rounds

Jack-in-the-Jester
(Seeker)
Well,” Bartholomew says, looking wisely at Seeker. “You’re not from around here is ya sir? Nope, I’d wager a tooth or three as to that game, yep. Now, not sure what that thing is you’re holdin’ or what manner of apparition you got trapped therein, cussing the little devil he is though.” Bartholomew eyes the staff carefully, frowning and twisting his brows and nose all about. “Nope...wait, I know what that there thing is. Yep, staff of pain in your arse. Seen a fella once with one’a those there contraption. Drove the him to the devil it did. He ended up eating it the darn thing. Gave him terrible digestion for a week then the blasted thing sprouted from his back where he couldn’t get to it. After a piece of time he got fed up and jumped himself off that cliff, just outside here he did. Crazy fool. I’d watch that thing if I were you, nothing but trouble I say, nothing but trouble. Now, about your request, I think I may have just the thing for you.” He pokes a button and pulls several levers and out pops a small box with a picture of a jester in black and red and a hand crank on one side. Bartholomew picks it up and begins cranking. A musical tune begins to issue from the box. After fifteen or so cranks the music comes to its apex the top of the box flies open, a bright blinding light flashes, blinding everyone in the vicinity, and then closes back up. “Whoo!” Bartholomew shouts, “This one’s a doosey. Gotta git up close and personal, well, and ,well, ask the ghost to hold real still while you crank this here thing undertwixt it, then POW! Lickety split yer ghost is sent off into the nether. Or somewhere, not real sure to be honest. The fella that made it never said and I ant never asked. Anyway, there it is.

Chewers Delight
(Zirus)
Haven’t seen one of your kind in some time Mr. Lizardman,” Bartholomew says all gay and happy like. “You ain’t gonna et me is ya? Ha! Just kidding. Let’s see…Oh, I bet I got something just for you.” He rubs his hands together and taps his forehead, “Now where did I stash that thing? Hmmm.” He wanders around in a circle for several minutes then rushes over to his panel. After poking several button, moving 3 or 4 levers up and down, twisting a few nobs, and shouting Gnomish profanities into a horn, several times, a small hatch pops open on a nearby platform. Bartholomew saunters over, kneels down, and pulls out a small bottle with several pill-like things in it. “These here is special diet pills. Yep sir. Et one of these and you can et up just darn near anything you come in contact with, including ghosts. Takes several minutes to take affect. You’ll feel a warmin’ in yer tummy followed by a voracious appertite. One other thing, and it’s a small thing really, if you consider the benefits and all. Well, how do I put’er, yer mouth, well, it gets big, I mean real big, big as in four times normal size. Doesn’t hurt though, nope not a bit. Wears off after a bit too. Thought it might do you some benefit. Most folks don’t care for etin’ things, well, other things anyway. You, yep I figure you might like sumpin’ like this here."

8 pills total
Duration: 1d4 Turns
Damage: 3d6 hp per bite.

After Bartholomew gives his speeches he sends everyone off, "Now don't let them ghosts push you about lads. And mind those items, I'll be inspecting each for proper operation upon their return. Good luck to ya!"

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gorthak "Thank you kindly, I'll make sure to return it with out a scratch."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by badams30 »

Gort - Savage

Gort takes the mead and stows it gingerly in his sack. "Hmmm... thank you, mister. Gort put dis to good use, uh huh."

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by thesniperknight1 »

[Caiden Cross – Human Rouge 0] (HP: 10/10) (AC: 13)
Action: Must stop greed

Caiden gives the shopkeeper a short bow, "Thank you, and don't worry. They are in safe hands.....waist?.....they are held by a safe person....no, that doesn't sound right", he seems to be checking the strange contraption and evaluating its worth but then he shook his head violently to throw away evil thoughts.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Sol »

[Zirus - Lizardfolk Aspiring Cleric 0] (MP: 0.5/2) (HP 10/10) (AC: 19)
Actions: Sells Items

Zirus nods to the gnome and accepts the gift and nods politely.

"If you wish," he says to the gnome, "I have s-s-several items which you may find most... interesting."

He produces the items from his backpack. "I am in need of a water-tight book cover and s-s-several scrollcases of the same kind. Perhaps-s-s we can make a trade. The cases plus the gift you have given me would strike me as very fair, s-s-s-mall one."

Items offered:
Leather Parchment with Concentric Circles on it
Small Rectangular Crystal 1” x 2” x 3”
12 Smaller Crystals ½” x ½” x 1”
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Action: Gnomish lies and secrets revealed.

Seeker listens to the Gnome prattle on about the past experiences of amateurs when dealing with magical items. Once Gnome finishes his long winded description Seeker's staff begins ranting,

"This Gnome lies! Nothing of the sort happened! Look at him, with his beady little eyes and scrunched up face, a born liar!"

Seeker looks to the staff, "Quiet! Do you not see that beings greater than you are speaking? Are you some dog that begs their masters for table scraps whilst company is over?! Cease your inane rambling so that I may converse!"

As the staff begins to say something more Seeker slams it against the nearest surface, giving Bartholomew his attention once more, "Yes, thank you, for both the item and the interesting story of... whatever it was you were spouting. I am sure we will make great use of his... weapon? When used with the others gifts."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Antman9 »

Summary
Let the Games Begin!

When the greetings and offers are all said and done with and the party is shuffling toward the exit, Zirus inquires about a trade with Bartholomew, offering:

Leather Parchment with Concentric Circles on it
Small Rectangular Crystal 1” x 2” x 3”
12 Smaller Crystals ½” x ½” x 1”

Bartholomew looks at the items with interest for a moment then his eyes go wide. He looks in several directions and then smiles to the rest of the party as he pulls Zirus far off to one side. The party can see the Gnome gesticulating madly from time to time, pointing up in the air and down at the items in Zirus’ hands. Occasionally he looks toward the party with a forced smile and gives a tentative wave before resuming his conversation with Zirus.

Bartholomew /Zirus Converse…
Bartholomew suddenly becomes very serious with Zirus, “Where have you found these? Do you know what these are?” He peers back to the party nervously. “These are not of this firma, do you understand? N-o-t from h-e-r-e… he says as he points up in the air. He looks back to the party and waves with a hesitant smile. “Do you have any other items of this kind? Tell me quick.” He peeks back at the party nervously. “Who have you told of these?
What you know so far:
There are ghosts disrupting daily life on the west side of town.
The only business you know of on the west side of town is The Belfrey Tower (inn & pub) (Everyone made a short stay here when they first arrived at Dragons Belch)

Actions!

The Party:

PC’s
Zirus
Gorthak
Gort
Caiden
Seeker

Calendar:
12:00 pm
June 27th, 9001

Sun Rise/Set: 6:36/8:24
Temp: 90.0°F
Visibility: 10.0 Miles
Wind: 3.5 mph Variable
Cloud: Clear
Humidity: 55%
Moon Rise/Set: 6:57 am/8:38 pm
Moonlight: 3%

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Sol »

Actions: Zirus looks up

As the gnome gestures skyward, Zirus tilts his head up to look at the ceiling. He does this for a while, not really saying anything. When the gnome asks him if he knows what they are, Zirus says, "Do you?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Antman9 »

Bartholomew Bumblewoodtooth Grumblefoot III (Gnome Extraordinaire!)

Bartholomew shushes Zirus and pulls him off even further from the group,
"Shhh! Don't let anyone hear you. This is serious business Lizardman. Those..." He looks around in every direction, pulls in close to Zirus and whispers, "There were rumors..." he looks around again nervously, "of a ship. A flying ship!" He looks back at the party and waves again with that same creepy smile. "Several months ago, at night, it was seen. Many think it is just someone stirring up rumors." He looks back to the party with a smirk, then pulls Zirus in real close, "My father's Uncle's, great, great, great, great, grandfather's Uncle's, brother..." he looks around nervously then says really low, barely audible, "were visited by Moon Men." Bartholomew stands up tall, begins to smile with pride, then masters himself, "These are navigation tools. I know, because I have studied a great many things about these...Moon Men. Where did you find these items and do you have any others?"

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Sol »

Actions: Responds

"No, Small One, I have no others. These were discovered by me in the Underdark. I s-s-s-ee that these possess-s-s-s great value. I am pleas-s-sed to give them to you for the supplies I need in good faith. I have mentioned these to no one, so rest easy, Small One."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Antman9 »

The Underdark!” Bartholomew exclaims aloud so that anyone within earshot of a mile could hear. “Confound my tongue!” he blurts out shortly thereafter. He whacks his leg with his fist and leans back in to speak with Zirus.
This is very peculiar Lizardman. Hmmm. I need to see this place with my own eyes. Can you take me there or give direction? You do not know what these beings are capable of. They possess great technologies and wicked powers not to be trifled with. If I must come out of retirement, this would be the event to draw me. Damn my Gnomish relatives, and damn this cursed event! I must know Lizardman, tell me you will assist. Wait! Have you spoken not to Netheril or his people? If that is so there may yet be hope. Come, can you help? Any item is yours, anything you desire shall be yours if you only show me the point of origin of these items. Do not test the Gnomish patience man!
Bartholomew looks expectantly into Zirus' eyes. His face begins to turn a bright shade of pink as his hands shake violently in expectation of the Lizardman's answer.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Action: Patience wearing thin

Seeker, growing more and more impatient, as well as creeped out, by the Gnomes constant whisperings and weird smiles, calls out to the Lizardman Cleric, "Shall we be going? Or have you met your newest pet? Shall I break the news to your poor shape-ling friend? Perhaps the slavering and ever hungry bloat of a goddess you follow will like the Gnome as a snack?" He snaps his fingers, "Come, we have ghosts and apparitions to fool around with!"

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gorthak waits paitently for the entire group to be gathered before going anywhere else plus he doesn't have a map and the "leader" isn't leading at the moment. "Do hurry up there Zirus. We're all waiting on you."

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Sol »

Actions: Responds to Gnome

"My friends-s-s are eager to be on their way," says Zirus, "And far be it for me to delay the mission. Yes-s-s-s, I can confirm that only you have heard any word of this-s-s-s from my lips. If you might pass to me a small item, a magic ring perhaps-s-s-s, of some power, plus the cases I mentioned earlier, then I shall provide you with the map that led me to that place."

If the gnome agrees, Zirus passes him his "Map of the Area" with the location of the elf-house marked. "Be ready for a swim," he hints, "and s-s-s-eek the island keep undergound. I can not accompany you, but I bid you to go armed and not alone, for the dead walk in that place. If you s-s-s-survive, I would be pleased to s-s-see you again upon your return."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Antman9 »

Actions: Giddy with Excitement

Bartholomew claps his hands and rubs them together furiously. “Excellent!” he exclaims, “Wait here,” he says and runs off into the darkness of his warehouse. A moment later he returns with 3 water tight scroll cases, a water tight book case, a plain silver ring, and what looks like a small wooden cup (like you might drink mead from) with a string, several inches long, protruding from the bottom and impregnated in the end of a whitish crystal roughly 1” in diameter and 2” long. “Keep this with you at all time and wait for my voice,” Bartholomew announces and shews everyone out the door.

Return to “Dragons Belch: A New Beginning”