Action Thread 8

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 8

#81 Post by Alethan »

Think this is all up to Jeloon and Derek (and Yosef, if he can get a spear attack in from the second row) now. Till's in the back row and short and, honestly, not nearly as effective with a frontal short sword assault as he is with a backstab or his wonderful little sling and some lead bullets.

(He's REALLY hoping this wood giant used a magical short sword as a dagger or knife... :D )

But Till has complete faith in his companions (and in the fact that the dice roller is done with giving Migellito and Argennian such craptastic rolls)! And he hopes this Initiative roll helps...

Initiative [1d6] = 4

Good luck, gentlemen. May the Schwartz be with you.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#82 Post by migellito »

"Grrraaaaaahhh!!!!" Jeloon screams, wild eyed, at the stickman, no longer able to contain her frustration and fury.
Magic longsword thaco16 - [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 = ACneg3
Magic longsword damage [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10!

Magic longsword thaco16 - [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4 = AC12

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#83 Post by Vokarius »

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by rredmond »

Day 14 – Late Morning

Round 5.

Initiative for stick guys [1d6] = 3

The poor unfortunate stickman loses initiative and Jeloon and Derek quickly make toothpicks of it.

The whole place is dark and quiet once more. The lonely lamp on top of the, now 30' high, dais shows the slightly open sarcophagus and a pincushioned dwarf.

Oh and I forgot to mention: A javelin twitches on top of one of the columns, as if desperately desiring to fly toward Yosef, but instead lies still. Just kidding :D

The totals below should be up to date.

HPs: Jeloon - 25/29; Till - 35/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 33/40
WIH: Till: sling [lamp]; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [ogre spear or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; staying back - Van: spear, shield; Eyman: Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2 - Bruard; 3 - Yosef & Till
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left, 30' radius; Torch (Till) none lit at this point, 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-3/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote: Oh and I forgot to mention: A javelin twitches on top of one of the columns, as if desperately desiring to fly toward Yosef, but instead lies still. Just kidding :D
OOC: That's bloody hilarious! :lol:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#86 Post by Alethan »

Till slips his sling back into his belt pouch and checks to make sure his short sword is loose in its scabbard, just in case.

"Well," he says, making his way back to the central platform, "let's go see what spoils the victory has brought us!"

Till quietly climbs the rope still dangling from the platform and, once at the top, makes sure it is secured and that nothing is moving (i.e. climbing out from the sarcophagus.

If all looks safe, he'll give the OK to the rest of the party so they can climb up and help remove the lid the rest of the way...

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by migellito »

Jeloon scans the surroundings while Till climbs the rope, then follows him up when he gets to the top.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by rredmond »

A wee bit of hand waving here, I'll assume whoever wants to come up can come up. And because I will be away this weekend, and may not be at a computer as much as I can... which would likely kill Ethan :D I want to get you as far as you can here. Also I can peek in a few other times today.

The sarcophagus contains the remains of a frost giant, likely a king or noble. You can all deduce that much, though most of him, and his stuff has rotted away. All that remains is a skelton and ragged clothing and furs. Lying at the giant's feet is a stone chest. Lying next to the giant is a huge battleaxe, completely unusable by any of you due to it's size, but generally unusable due to the fact that it is rusted and decayed. A smaller scabbard (which seems to be still in okay condition) on the giant's long-gone belt is what would have been his dagger, though for you all it is a short sword. Finally the giant wears a silver helmet snugly on his skull, it is unadorned and strange in that it has a visor (apparently retractable but currently pulled down) that is not grated in any way. Thus, it blocks the eye sockets, while whoever wore this it's difficult to see how they would, well, see. Etched into the visor are interesting glyphs of some sort.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Argennian »

Yosef murmurs something in elvish under his breath as the last stickman goes down. He quickly slings his bow, picks up the ogre spear and moves up next to the others.

He begins straining his eyes, searching the raised dais and pillar area for any other potential threats or danger, subconsciously adjusting the Wand of Fire in his beltline to ensure it can be easily drawn if needed.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#90 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:Finally the giant wears a silver helmet snugly on his skull, it is unadorned and strange in that it has a visor (apparently retractable but currently pulled down) that is not grated in any way. Thus, it blocks the eye sockets, while whoever wore this it's difficult to see how they would, well, see. Etched into the visor are interesting glyphs of some sort.
Bruard studies the helmet without touching it, then says:
Friends, I recognize the glyphs on the visor of this helmet. They are clerical symbols for 'eyes' or 'sight', while others represent 'mushroom powder', 'saffron', and 'fat'. Me thinks this might be a clue as to the magical nature of this great helm.

OOC: Quick research into what this might mean reveals not much, but I'm short on time for further research. I looked up 'glyph of warding', and while the spell is said to have a material component, none were outlined. I say we proceed with great caution before touching the helm. Any other ideas of what it could mean?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#91 Post by migellito »

Jeloon tries to use the old rusty axe to pry up the lid of the stone chest, unless Till wants to check it for traps first.

"My guess, Bruard, is that it provides some kind of special sight. Something that would make up for your eyes being blocked. Maybe the ability to see invisible things?"

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#92 Post by ToniXX »

ooc i posted in the strategy thread
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#93 Post by Alethan »

As Till examines the contents of the sarcophagus with his eyes, he recounts Bruard's words from earlier...
ToniXX wrote:...I saw a giant-sized helmet with a visor at the head of the tomb. Around the area where the waist of the creature would be, I saw the shapes of a sword and a knapsack of some sort. The side pouches of the sack glowed quite brightly, but not like the flame from the helm, but brighter than the sword. The sack itself may not be magical, but items within the small side pouches must be.
His breath catches as Till spots the short sword and scabbard on the giant's belt.

He. can't. help. him. self.

Ever so slowly, Till's arm stretches into the stone coffin, crossing the skeletal remains of the giant. His hand pauses before grasping the hilt. His eyes dart to those of his companions and a smile spreads across his face.

"Come to me, my pretty," he says, as he wraps his fingers around the hilt and draws the sword from its scabbard.

OOC: Smart? Maybe not. In-character? Definitely.

After a quick, but thorough, examination of the short sword, Till absently grabs the scabbard and tucks it into his belt. And then he, reluctantly, sheathes the short sword, as well.

"knapsack... you mentioned something about a knapsack, Bruard..." He starts looking around the waist area for the pack when he notices Jeloon starting to prod at the stone chest with the rusted battle axe.

"Sorry, I guess my job's not yet done, Jeloon," he says with a smile. "Let me check that for you..."

Till moves down to the bottom of the sarcophagus and examines the stone chest for any signs of traps. If he finds none, he'll have Jeloon help him open the lid.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by rredmond »

Till wrote: Ever so slowly, Till's arm stretches into the stone coffin, crossing the skeletal remains of the giant. His hand pauses before grasping the hilt. His eyes dart to those of his companions and a smile spreads across his face.

"Come to me, my pretty," he says, as he wraps his fingers around the hilt and draws the sword from its scabbard.

OOC: Smart? Maybe not. In-character? Definitely.

After a quick, but thorough, examination of the short sword, Till absently grabs the scabbard and tucks it into his belt. And then he, reluctantly, sheathes the short sword, as well.
Nothing untoward occurs. Though upon removal from the scabbard the short sword glows with about a 15' radius of cheery blue light.
Till wrote:"knapsack... you mentioned something about a knapsack, Bruard..." He starts looking around the waist area for the pack when he notices Jeloon starting to prod at the stone chest with the rusted battle axe.
Upon removal of sword and scabbard, Till notes a haversack around the back of the giant's belt area. Though a mere pouch for the giant, it's a sack, that's got one pretty handy strap to go around someone's front and, as part of the sack, there are two pouches on the side of it.
Till wrote:"Sorry, I guess my job's not yet done, Jeloon," he says with a smile. "Let me check that for you..."

Till moves down to the bottom of the sarcophagus and examines the stone chest for any signs of traps. If he finds none, he'll have Jeloon help him open the lid.
Till finds no traps, and the chest is unlocked. Till and Jeloon marvel at the glittery goodness of reflected lantern and magic sword light:
1000sp
100gp
large gold necklace (about 300gp)
and 10 gems of the 100gp size and variety

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#95 Post by Alethan »

Till pulls the knapsack out of the sarcophagus and sets it down on the ground and starts pulling things out of it so everyone can see the contents...

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#96 Post by migellito »

Jeloon treats everyone to one of her rarely-seen ear-to-ear smiles with the big canines.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by rredmond »

Till picks up the sack, it's pretty light weighing about five pounds. To his disappointment... and amazement, he pulls out three bundles of 2' long sticks, each weighing about 20 pounds each.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Argennian »

Yosef remains at the base of the now raised-even-higher dais while Till and the others do their thing.

If Van or Eyman are still down there and have a light source (or perhaps the torch Till threw, if it's not already burned up?), he'll ask them to lend it over a shoulder as he searches very carefully for any secret or concealed doors or potential hidey holes on the sides at the base of the platform. He'll also check the pillars afterward as well. If he needs to, Yosef will strike up a torch for a light source.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote:Yosef remains at the base of the now raised-even-higher dais while Till and the others do their thing.

If Van or Eyman are still down there and have a light source (or perhaps the torch Till threw, if it's not already burned up?), he'll ask them to lend it over a shoulder as he searches very carefully for any secret or concealed doors or potential hidey holes on the sides at the base of the platform. He'll also check the pillars afterward as well. If he needs to, Yosef will strike up a torch for a light source.
Van and Eyman are at base camp.

Yosef's search finds nothing but solid stone, as far as he can tell.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#100 Post by migellito »

rredmond wrote:Till picks up the sack, it's pretty light weighing about five pounds. To his disappointment... and amazement, he pulls out three bundles of 2' long sticks, each weighing about 20 pounds each.
"Wonder of wonders! This could be very handy!!"

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”