Action Thread 8

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 8

#41 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 14 - Late Morning

I'll assume you are leaving the dwarf a lamp, since you do have two.

It takes all your strength, even together (and you can hear the dwarf straining on his tippy toes) but the lid does finallly budge. Not sure how quickly after the lid slides open that you hear the "psssh" of air leaving the sarcophagus, then rumbling, then quickly followed by the ground shaking violently.

The dais shoots up from the plateau an additional 20' putting it about 5' or so beneath the pillars. But the top 5' of the pillars explode sending shards of rock everywhere revealing tottering twig figures at their tops. They each reach down next to them and pull up javelins. Seven javelins soar to a somewhat bemused Wergrim. Three find their marks and with a gargle he slumps to the floor of the dais. From the glow of the lamp you can see them pick up another javelin and look around. The lamp that is next to the downed dwarf right now just about has all of the columns in it's circle of light.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 35/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 39/40
WIH: Wergrim: unbound, no weapon; Till: torch and lamp; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: long sword; Bruard: Mace, shield; staying back - Van: spear, shield; Eyman: Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Bruard; 2 - Yosef & Wergrim; 3 - Derek & Till
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 35 minutes left, 30' radius; Torch (Till) 45 minutes left, 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

Till's eyes grow wide as the platform rises up out of the ground and he covers his head as the tops of the pillars explode, sending debris in all directions.

"THAT isn't something I expected... So much for tossing a torch!"

Just to clarify... the main dais is now almost as tall as the columns and there are stick men on top of each column throwing javelins?? (As an aside, what happens with the grappling hook and rope? Hopefully they are either with us or there is at least some of the rope dangling within reach?)

He quickly regains his composure and whispers, "One on each platform. Everyone stay close to the outside of this column." He indicates the nearest column (probably the one closest the stairs). "We'll try to range attack the stick men we can see from here. While we're doing that, we'll have complete cover from at least two of them and partial cover from another two. And everyone target the same stick! If we can take two or three of them out quickly, then we'll create a safe zone."

Till pulls out his sling and a bullet and fires a shot off at the stick figure he thinks is the easiest target (i.e. within view and range - probably the one on the column south of the one we're grouped near, since that one might not be an easy shot with a sling...).

To Hit, Sling [1d20+6] = 15+6 = 21

Damage, Sling (Small/Medium) [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5
Last edited by Alethan on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote: Just to clarify... the main dais is now almost as tall as the columns and there are stick men on top of each column throwing javelins?? (As an aside, what happens with the grappling hook and rope? Hopefully they are either with us or there is at least some of the rope dangling within reach?)
There's no way y'all would have been able to hold on. Sorry, resolving too many things, too quickly. :) But yes, the rope is dangling down, and the grappling hook is firmly attached up above.

I'll wait for some other called actions before moving forward.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
Alethan wrote: Just to clarify... the main dais is now almost as tall as the columns and there are stick men on top of each column throwing javelins?? (As an aside, what happens with the grappling hook and rope? Hopefully they are either with us or there is at least some of the rope dangling within reach?)
There's no way y'all would have been able to hold on. Sorry, resolving too many things, too quickly. :) But yes, the rope is dangling down, and the grappling hook is firmly attached up above.
Oh, I didn't mean that it was still in our hands or anything. Just wanted to make sure we weren't bereft of grappling hook and rope! :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#45 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard gasps at the sight before him... He reaches for a bottle of lantern oil and throws it at one of the creatures.
To hit [1d20] = 9 (bottle of oil)

(beh!)
OOC: While he most likely missed, the intent was to douse one of the baddies in oil with the idea that someone else might toss a torch their way or hit the same one with a flaming arrow.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#46 Post by migellito »

Jeloon nocks an arrow. "We should have made pitch to dip arrows in. Ah well."

She fires at the same stick man Till is shooting at.

Short bow thaco17 - [1d20] = 13 = AC4

[1d6] = 2damage

Short bow thaco17 - [1d20] = 15 = AC2

[1d6] = 1

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Argennian »

Yosef ducks down (somewhere on or near the top of the stairs?) when the explosion goes off and the rumbling transpires. He then looks looks back up in time to see Wergrim go down, impaled by the javelins. "Goodbye, my good friend" he thinks as he also scrambles to action.

The elf quickly follow Bruard's leader, grabbing another flask of oil and aiming it at one of the closer wooden constructs...

Yosef's to hit roll for throwing flask of oil (+1 bonus from Dex):
[1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10 (hits AC8)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2721

"Let us use the stairwell for cover and fall back if we have to! They can only come at us a few at a time that way!" cries Yosef as he prepares to see what the pillar guardians' response will be!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#48 Post by Vokarius »

"Stickmen?" Derek takes some potshots.

[1d20] = 15

and

[1d20] = 12

Damage:
[1d6] = 4
and
[1d6] = 4

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by rredmond »

Day 14 – Late Morning

The dais and the colums are now the same height. The party is at about P on the map.

The stickmen pick up another javelin, from a rack next to them, and scan around with their knothole eyes. This gives the party the opportunity to use missile fire.

Jeloon and Till target twig guy #1 causing him to step back a bit, but remain on the column, a dent in his head and two arrows in his torso. Bruard oils up the column of twig guy #2, but Yosef manages to oil up #2's legs. Derek is able to put two arrows into #7.

Of course now the twig guys have a beat on you. 1, 2, and 7 all look as if to throw javelins your way. The rest look like they are going to climb down the columns.

Actions and initiative please.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 35/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 39/40
WIH: Till: sling and Torch [lamp]; Jeloon: bow and arrow [Longsword (20' radius light), shield]; Derek: bow and arrow [Longsword (20' radius light), shield]; Yosef: oil [ogre spear or long sword]; Bruard: oil [Mace, shield]; staying back - Van: spear, shield; Eyman: Battle Axe, shield
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 34 minutes left, 30' radius; Torch (Till) 44 minutes left, 40' radius.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#50 Post by ToniXX »

So we are all on the now raised dais, correct?

Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Bruard will hold his ground with his shield up. He'll shout out "Someone try to get a flaming arrow onto that one!" as he points towards the twig guy that Yosef was able to get some oil on.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by rredmond »

ToniXX wrote:So we are all on the now raised dais, correct?

Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Bruard will hold his ground with his shield up. He'll shout out "Someone try to get a flaming arrow onto that one!" as he points towards the twig guy that Yosef was able to get some oil on.
Sorry updated the post after you posted. You guys are not on the dais. You are at P on the map.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

Till reaches down, picks up the lit torch he was previously holding, winds up, and tosses it at the recently-oiled stick man.

(Hate to use one of the light sources, but... maybe it will make for a BETTER light source? :D )

Thrown Torch [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14

(Includes Till's +3 Dex bonus, but not the +3 halfling bonus for sling/bow, for obvious reasons.)

Hopefully even if that just hits the column, it would catch the oil on the column on fire and eventually make its way up to Stickman #2...

"Let's do a slow fall back to the top of the stairs (something that still lets those with bows fire their bows) and form a protective half-circle there so we don't get overrun. Yosef, you can attack over my head with your spear."

OOC: I don't think any of us ever imagined they'd be up on the columns, Migellito, otherwise I would have suggested tar-covered arrows before we headed in! Or flaming dung beetle pelts Till could fire off from his sling?

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote: Or flaming dung beetle pelts Till could fire off from his sling?
"If you have poop, throw it now!" - monkeys in Madagascar

Does Jeloon think she could 'meet' at least one of the stick men as he's coming down his pillar, attacking it while it's busy climbing?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by rredmond »

migellito wrote:....
Does Jeloon think she could 'meet' at least one of the stick men as he's coming down his pillar, attacking it while it's busy climbing?
#3 easy, if you charge and go through instead of around, you could probably get to any of them.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by migellito »

Ok then, here's Jeloon's plan for next round. She heads to pillar 3, uses her sword attack routine against the descending stick man while he's occupied climbing, then retreats to the stairs to take a place in the front line.

Assuming that's ok, I'll enter my attacks, but without situational bonuses (I'll leave those to you Ron)

Magic longsword thaco16 - [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 = AC7

Magic longsword damage [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6damage, if that hits with mods.

Magic longsword thaco16 - [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 = ACneg5, natural 20
not sure what to do with a crit :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by Alethan »

migellito wrote: Magic longsword thaco16 - [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 = ACneg5, natural 20
not sure what to do with a crit :)
Roll a lot of damage?? :D

So... Bruard, Till, and Jeloon have declared actions for this round. Still need something from Derek and Yosef before we can continue...

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by Vokarius »

Derek attacks with his magic longsword
[1d20] = 16 +2 = 18
and
[1d20] = 5 +2 = 7

damage for the first one is [1d8+4] = 3+4 = 7

not even going to bother rolling damage for the second one.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Argennian »

After throwing the last vial of oil, Yosef moves back toward the stair and makes ready with his bow. He targets the wooden construct on pillar 1 and lets 2 arrows fly in rapid succession...

Yosef's 1st arrow to hit:
[1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 (hits AC10)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2738

1st arrow damage:
[1d6] = 1

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2739

Yosef's 2nd arrow to hit:
[1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19 (hits AC -1)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2740

2nd arrow damage:
[1d6] = 6

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2741

OOC: sorry for lateness guys, this post took foreva on my phone! :roll:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by rredmond »

Day 14 – Late Morning

Round 1 after surprise round.

Initiative for twig guys [1d6] = 5

The stickmen start throwing javelins, or sliding down the columns. Startled by the movement two javelins head at Jeloon, while one heads Yosef's way. All of them hit their targets squarely.
Both javelins hit Jeloon for 2hps. That's a total of 4. Yosef's one javelin hits for 6hp.

This doesn't seem to stop Jeloon though as she, and Derek, head in opposite directions, swords flashing in the lamplight.

Oiled up stick man #2 goes up in flames after Till hefts up the torch, he is definitely burning though still moving at this point.

Yosef's first arrow flies too high, but he scores with his second. Stick man #1 staggers back, and falls to twigs before actually falling off the column.

Both Derek and Jeloon are able to get to the columns just as the stick men hit the ground. With her double strick, Jeloon is able to see the column through the shower of splinters in the air. Her guy barely got around (just 1hp of damage would have done enough for the second hit, so I'm not worried about your roll :D ). Derek's first strike hits, but that seems enough as his second strike hits nothing, in front of him a pile of sticks, unmoving.

#4 and #5 hit the ground and start heading toward you, tree-limb arms outstretched. #2 and #7 pick up javelins, preparing to throw again, though #2 isn't looking all that well.

Actions and initiative please. This is a single attack round for the fighters, but I'm assuming they are hotfooting it back to the party. HP totals are updated.

HPs: Jeloon - 25/29; Till - 35/36; Yosef - 4/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 39/40
WIH: Till: sling [lamp]; Jeloon: bow and arrow [Longsword (20' radius light), shield]; Derek: bow and arrow [Longsword (20' radius light), shield]; Yosef: oil [ogre spear or long sword]; Bruard: oil [Mace, shield]; staying back - Van: spear, shield; Eyman: Battle Axe, shield
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 34 minutes left, 30' radius; Torch (Till) 44 minutes left, 40' radius.
[/quote]

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by Alethan »

Initiative [1d6] = 1

Ugh! Our initiative rolls suck this battle!

Till fires a sling bullet at Stickman #2, since he seems the worst-off

To Hit, Sling [1d20+6] = 13+6 = 19

Damage, Sling (Small/Medium) [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”