VIII. The Witch Towner - Second Trip

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

VIII. The Witch Tower - Revisited

#1 Post by dmw71 »

The group, now including Ingroc, set out to return to the fallen tower.

As you approach, the remains of what was once a two story tower sit atop a gentle hill, with only fragments of the first and second floors still standing.
Tower Ruins.png
Tower Ruins.png (221.36 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Everything appears to have been left undisturbed since your last visit.

The tower’s ancient iron front door remains in place, but all the rubble blocking it from the other side prevents anyone from using it, and Festus had previously determined that attempting to clear the door could potentially distress the remaining foundation even further and would likely cause more harm than good. With no other way into the tower, the rocky ramp used previously, which leads up to the tower’s now exposed second floor, is the only way to gain entrance. With only Ingroc lacking prior experience ascending the makeshift stone ramp, reaching the second is accomplished without issue. Open to the sky above, this exposed upper floor contains some smashed furniture and a sprinkling of rubble in addition to the solid wooden beam and the still opened trap door which is set in the floor against the northwest wall.

As previously determined, the trap door leads to the first level of the tower, which has mostly collapsed under the rubble leaving only shattered wooden furniture scattered around the floor and some random piles of rubble. Additionally, a second, still opened trap door is set in the floor directly beneath the one you're peering through, which leads directly to the tower's basement.

The distance from ceiling-to-floor for each level appears to be approximately 15-feet, and these distance estimates are confirmed when one of the 30-foot rope ladders provided by the Baroness, once secured to the top floor, reaches the basement once lowered.

The dry-rotted frames of five simple beds lie against the north and south walls. To the southwest, the room broadens into a larger chamber. The previous examined iron maiden sits in an alcove in the north wall, between the two wings of the room itself, its rotted contents spilled out onto the floor beneath it. In the wall to the south is the still open iron door which splits off to the east and west. Ciar and Festus previously explored to the west, while a majority of the party's activities, including the slime encounter, were off to the east.
A4.png
A4.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

Okay, the scene has been set. The group does not necessarily need to be the basement yet, but with the ladder set, and since the area has been previously explored, movement between levels can be accomplished easily and without risk.

In addition to knowing where Sparrow is going to store the extra gear that he's not going to personally carry, I'll need to know what the group plans to do first now that they're back inside the tower.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: VIII. The Witch Tower - Revisited

#2 Post by Alethan »

Only minor correction is to this...

"...a second, still opened trap door is set in the floor directly beneath the one you're peering through..."

... as Ciar specifically closed that trap door to make sure nobody fell down two levels if they did fall when trying to climb up. :)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Thanks for pointing that out.

There very well might be other minor variances that I forgot, as I really didn't go back and re-read everything from your first trip.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

"So we're just clearing out the slime and calling it a day today, right?" Ciar asks casually.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:"So we're just clearing out the slime and calling it a day today, right?" Ciar asks casually.

Ingroc the Impavid

"That is my vote, yes. I would also like to state that I am in favor of attempting to burn it out in its entirety, as opposed to leaving any deposits of it."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow lowers the pack containing the hemp and silk rope, miner's pick, shovel, 2 large crampons, and dozen pitons down to the first floor before descending himself. (minus anything we already needed to use for our descent) He then lowers it again to the basement and stores it in the corner for now in case they might need to use any of it later. He takes the 6 oil flasks with him to complete the current mission.

Yes, let's get this burning business taken care of so we can proceed with our investigation. I'm still not feeling the best after our last delve and could really use one more good nights sleep.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

After Sparrow stows the extra equipment, the group, intent on eliminating the slime as a threat, exit through the door to the south, then pass the still vacant cells to the right. Continuing to head west (with the odd tubing in the ceiling overhead) until the passage turns north, then wraps back to the west, then finally through the door into the torture chamber, with Harzogopas's dead body still lying on the south side of the room. Passing through the secret door, they turn north, then west, then south... until they encounter the narrow ledge and the five-foot deep pit with slime filling the bottom, and knowing that, after the narrow ledge, the hallway after the passageway turns south is covered wall-to-wall with more of the acidic sludge.

So, what is the plan at this point? Dealing with the slime in the pit will be relatively easy, seeing as how it's contained. However, passing it on the narrow ledge overhead may be increasingly difficult depending upon how the slime reacts once set on fire.

What does the group want to do first?
  • Deal with the slime in the pit?
  • Create a secure method of passing the ledge safely (and how)?
  • Clear the slime out of the hallway?
  • Something else?

The call is yours.
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

Ingroc the Impavid

"Here is my bold proposal. Let us use a single flask of oil to form a barrier between the slime and this room, then empty three more flasks of oil into the pit, followed by a single flask of Greek fire. Then if possible, we use two or three more flasks of normal oil to create a trail leading from the pit further down the hallway, as far as we can reasonably reach. Then, we should all retreat to the far side of the room, light a torch, and toss it onto the be-oiled slime, withdrawing as needed if it looks like the fumes are becoming noxious, or the slime reacts unexpectedly. How say you all to my plan!"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC II

#9 Post by Alethan »

Where's that dwarf when we need a shorty in the front ranks???

Yeah, those marching orders look good to me! Thanks for thinking it out, TK.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by onlyme »

Fulp suggests soaking one flask on some of the old bedding material to help build a sustainable fire.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by onlyme »

Fyi... fulp is only 5'3"... The dice roller wasn't long on his genetics...

So he wouldn't see over the taller humans.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Ooc: TK, the slime on the floor is past the slime in the pit, which has to be passed by use of the 7" wide ledge, not before it. So we need to get a line of oil on the OTHER side of the slime on the floor, if possible.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:Ooc: TK, the slime on the floor is past the slime in the pit, which has to be passed by use of the 7" wide ledge, not before it. So we need to get a line of oil on the OTHER side of the slime on the floor, if possible.
Yes, I know. Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but my proposal was to lob the flasks of oil *over* the pit, onto the slime on the floor. I don't think it's worth risking anyone on the ledge, yet. I mean, even with a high Dexterity you're still looking at a not insignificant chance of falling in, based simply on a bad die roll.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote:Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but my proposal was to lob the flasks of oil *over* the pit, onto the slime on the floor.
The only problem with this suggestion is that the slime in the hallway on the other side of the pit is actually well around the turn and into the hallway.

I obviously won't prevent anyone from still attempting it, but there's a greater chance of that plan failing than someone crossing the ledge. The consequences of failure aren't the same, obviously, I'm merely indicating the difficulty of what you're suggesting.
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but my proposal was to lob the flasks of oil *over* the pit, onto the slime on the floor.
The only problem with this suggestion is that the slime in the hallway on the other side of the pit is actually well around the turn and into the hallway.

I obviously won't prevent anyone from still attempting it, but there's a greater chance of that plan failing than someone crossing the ledge. The consequences of failure aren't the same, obviously, I'm merely indicating the difficulty of what you're suggesting.
Ah. So does that mean they're not conjoined; i.e. potentially two distinct patches of slime.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote:Ah. So does that mean they're not conjoined; i.e. potentially two distinct patches of slime.
Correct.

I was on my phone and couldn't easily capture a map, but here is what the area looks like.
Slime.png
Slime.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
So, actually, they are connected in a way, but barely. And, unless you're able to light the slime and it spreads on its own (e.g. the slime is highly flammable), there is little chance of being able to coat the hallway slime from the far side of the ledge.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by thirdkingdom »

onlyme wrote:Fyi... fulp is only 5'3"... The dice roller wasn't long on his genetics...

So he wouldn't see over the taller humans.

So, uh, is this a vote for or against the proposed order?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Ciar chimes in with his thoughts, "I think we should burn the pit out first. That will tell us how much smoke it's going to make, how much oil it's going to take, and how well the slime is going to burn. Plus, then we can more safely cross the ledge, or the pit, to get to the other side and deal with the slime on the floor."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:Ciar chimes in with his thoughts, "I think we should burn the pit out first. That will tell us how much smoke it's going to make, how much oil it's going to take, and how well the slime is going to burn. Plus, then we can more safely cross the ledge, or the pit, to get to the other side and deal with the slime on the floor."
Unless there are any objections, Ingroc will begin to carry out his plan as originally proposed and seconded by Ciar, ignoring the corridor for the moment. "We can through some bedding in, if you like, but this Greek fire burns so hot I'm not sure it will make much difference."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The plan seems sound, says Sparrow. Lets just make sure we don't create more flames than we can handle. If something unexpected happens and things get out of control, we need to get out before anyone else gets hurt.

Sparrow double checks their escape route out of the place, just in case.

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”