Town Business (Vaul) - III

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Town Business (Vaul) - III

#161 Post by Keehnelf »

Hah, sorry--I thought I had responded to this already.

Since it's been recently repaired, he'll offer 50% of book price in sale for it.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Starbeard »

29 April

Seadu wanders the market and haggles over a selection of dried food rations, and a small batch of garlic cloves.

He then heads to the temple of Branwyn and attempts to procure two vials of holy water, with his utmost gratitude.

9 trail rations, 45sp
3 garlic cloves, 5gp
2 vials of holy water, 50gp
+20% markup: 71gp 4sp

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Starbeard »

Forgot to post this, too!

April 29

After obtaining his various items, Seadu heads over to the local smith and armourer and presents his old suit of studded leather.

'I have no use for this suit anymore. It is as good as new: I have played in one battle wearing it, but was never struck. Quite supple. I imagine you could turn right around and fetch as much as 36 gold pieces or more for it. What would you say to cutting a deal at 20gp?'

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Keehnelf »

"I'll give you 18 because it's not seen too much use. That a deal?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin accepts the smith's offer.

"Thanks, this will go a ways to helping us with a little construction project we've got going."

He leaves, and heads off to see what he can do to help Vaul in the event of invasion.

35 gp added.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu sets the studded leather suit onto the smith's table. 'Done.'

He heads back to the tavern.

+18gp

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#167 Post by Mister-Kent »

Constance purchases 9 trail rations and stows them in her pack. (-45sp)
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#168 Post by Spartakos »

After his conversation with Krysta, the next day Galen dons his armor and goes to the keep to offer his own services to the town, for the upcoming conflict.

"I am skilled in the healing arts, with the blessings of my god. I am also not untutored in the arts of war, and am a capable horseman...though I'm afraid my horse was killed out on the moors," he finishes with a rueful smile.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Starbeard »

April 29
Odium wanders to the general store, hoping to find an animal of some kind. 'I am searching for some livestock. Poultry, pigs, dogs—at the moment I am not picky. Do you have any for sale?'

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Garen arrives at the Wooden Keep with his world on his back, two dogs circling his legs and precious few coins to his name. He brushes the common soldiers aside to gain an audience with an officer. Listen kid. I'm new here, but willing to help your town with its monster-troubles. I can do a bit of healing and a bit of hurting. And I've got these dogs here to help with the latter. And we ain't afraid of leaving the town's gates to do a bit of mischief in the woods, neither. Not like these sallies you've got that are wanting to stay hid behind these walls. But I want fair compensation for my work. I want forest-land of my own when these monsters are run off. What sort of work do you have for me and what is it worth to your Arch-duchy?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Keehnelf »

Tamerlin looks Galen over. "You were part of the group that brought back the prisoner. No small feat, that, in addition to a source of valuable information. We have a few posts that we could use you for. If you really want to be healing, you could join Gronn and the cleric of Pelor Krysta on the field as healers to tend to the wounded and dying, and try to make sure we don't lose more than necessary even if we win. If you're handy with arms, you could take charge of one of our infantry units, or we could provide you with a warhorse from the Duke's stable if you want to take charge of a light cavalry unit. There's a sergeant for that unit already, but I prefer to have locals in charge rather than relying on the mercenaries in a case like this. The only thing with the cavalry unit is they're outfitted with lances, so you'd need to remember that the unit is most dangerous when charging, even though you'd be an afterthought just then."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Keehnelf »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Garen arrives at the Wooden Keep with his world on his back, two dogs circling his legs and precious few coins to his name. He brushes the common soldiers aside to gain an audience with an officer. Listen kid. I'm new here, but willing to help your town with its monster-troubles. I can do a bit of healing and a bit of hurting. And I've got these dogs here to help with the latter. And we ain't afraid of leaving the town's gates to do a bit of mischief in the woods, neither. Not like these sallies you've got that are wanting to stay hid behind these walls. But I want fair compensation for my work. I want forest-land of my own when these monsters are run off. What sort of work do you have for me and what is it worth to your Arch-duchy?
Tamerlin the Eagle Knight laughs. "You've got guts. The Duke has guaranteed reward to any who stand in defense of Vaul, and of course that could include deed to some of the forest near here--if any of it survives the wildfire we've spotted. There's another forest to the east under the Duke's domain, however, so even if it doesn't you've got options. If you're up for the task, I can attach you to a unit of light infantry that's still in need of a field commander. It's not a big unit, but you and your dogs would augment it pretty well, I'd say."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Garen eyed the knight warily and then guffawed. Har! Har! Alright then Tamerlin. I'll head up your band of green-boys if that's what your needing. He scratched a few mosquito bites before adding, But I'll not be bending my knee.This is strictly a fee-for-service job, got it? And I won't go prettying myself up with no baths to please your lordship. Not your ladyship. Already took one this year, and I'm not due for another for quite a while.

He shifted his pack higher on his shoulders and leaned on his staff. His breath smelled of peppermint and for all his talk of not taking baths, Garen was not any dirtier than the next man. Speak the truth here, kid. What is the strategy here? Does the Duke have some magical artifact set aside for your salvation or what?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Zorroroaster »

After seeing to his weapons and armor, Orrin seeks out audience with the Duke regarding defending Vaul.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by Spartakos »

Keehnelf wrote:Tamerlin looks Galen over. "You were part of the group that brought back the prisoner. No small feat, that, in addition to a source of valuable information. We have a few posts that we could use you for. If you really want to be healing, you could join Gronn and the cleric of Pelor Krysta on the field as healers to tend to the wounded and dying, and try to make sure we don't lose more than necessary even if we win. If you're handy with arms, you could take charge of one of our infantry units, or we could provide you with a warhorse from the Duke's stable if you want to take charge of a light cavalry unit. There's a sergeant for that unit already, but I prefer to have locals in charge rather than relying on the mercenaries in a case like this. The only thing with the cavalry unit is they're outfitted with lances, so you'd need to remember that the unit is most dangerous when charging, even though you'd be an afterthought just then."
Galen straightens, his handsome face bearing the proud arrogance of youth, and yet also the calm authority of his priesthood. "I would willingly command your horsemen; I'll not let his grace down. I may not bear the lowered lance, but a heavy mace with the full power of a charger behind the blow is not easily shrugged off." He clasps hands with the officer, then heads off...and his smile gives no hint at any misgivings he has about the coming battle.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Keehnelf »

Tamerlin simply smiles and shakes the young priest's hand before directing him to the makeshift parade ground outside the town walls to meet with his unit.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Keehnelf »

Orrin requests an audience with the Duke, who is unfortunately quite busy. When it becomes clear that the topic is the defense of the city, he is ushered into a large workroom that's filled with scrolls and a broad round table. Tamerlin stoops over the table scratching his head, staring at a sheaf of parchments laid out before him, before rising and greeting the dwarf. "Good afternoon, sir dwarf. How may I be of service today?"

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#178 Post by KingOfCowards »

May 4th, Vaul
After a few days of drinking away his sorrows, Bertram will report to Tamerlin as well to volunteer his services.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Keehnelf »

Tamerlin nods. "I've been hoping you'd stop back by. Clean yourself up--we've got serious work that needs to be done. I've a unit of two score mixed human and dwarf heavy infantry that needs someone with real battle experience to keep them in line when we engage the main force of the hobgoblins. I want you there. The danger's bound to be great, since that will be the force with which we'll hold the advance and keep the enemy where our other units can strike at them--but the reward will be equally great for everyone who survives, and doubly so for the one who leads them to victory. You in?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Keehnelf »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Garen eyed the knight warily and then guffawed. Har! Har! Alright then Tamerlin. I'll head up your band of green-boys if that's what your needing. He scratched a few mosquito bites before adding, But I'll not be bending my knee.This is strictly a fee-for-service job, got it? And I won't go prettying myself up with no baths to please your lordship. Not your ladyship. Already took one this year, and I'm not due for another for quite a while.

He shifted his pack higher on his shoulders and leaned on his staff. His breath smelled of peppermint and for all his talk of not taking baths, Garen was not any dirtier than the next man. Speak the truth here, kid. What is the strategy here? Does the Duke have some magical artifact set aside for your salvation or what?
Tamerlin smiles--despite the imminent threat, he still seems at peace. Perhaps it's the ease of long exposure to war and command, but his casual friendliness seems almost comforting. "There's no town-saving artifact, that much is sure. The adventurers who've traveled in this land have experience of its denizens and knowledge of how they might be defeated, as well as objects of power they've recovered from the surrounding territory--so I'm placing them among the forces where they can bring those assets to bear. The duke, his retinue, and I all have assets of our own, but nothing that will turn the day by itself. You might have noticed, I've begun a crew constructing a ballista to augment our defense as well--that should prove handy against the host assembled before us, which I am told includes a handful of ogres and their ilk in addition to the masses of smaller goblinoids. If the first machine can be properly constructed with time to spare, I'll have the team begin on the construction of a second, and that may prove a decisive advantage as well. Still, from my understanding of the situation it will be a hard fight regardless." His smile, which had faded as bit as he spoke, reappears, and he drops a friendly fist on to Garen's shoulder. "That said, there will be reward a-plenty when the fighting's done, if any of us still stand."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”