Town Business (Vaul) - III

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Town Business (Vaul) - III

#121 Post by Keehnelf »

Spotting Ulf's archery medal, he reconsiders. "Actually, we can attach you to a unit of archers. We have a handful with shortbows scheduled to arrive and they're in need of a sergeant. What do you say?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Zhym »

"Sounds good," says Ulf. "I'm in."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Keehnelf »

"Excellent! We'll get you in the rolls and do some orientation tomorrow."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by KingOfCowards »

May 27th
Bertram accepts the reward with a nod. "Much appreciated. You'd do well to learn what you can from this one, before ending its miserable life. From my experience, they have a well organized military and any clues into their capabilities might help."

Consider the platinum coin split evenly among the group as Zhym suggested in the loot section.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by hedgeknight »

Zhym wrote:May 3, 1 VC
Ulf seeks out Vaul's lieutenants Blavern and Tamerlin.
Krysta does the same.
"I am Krysta Kane, servant of Pelor. I am not well-versed in war, but I have some experience in battle and with healing. I wish to offer my services in defense of Vaul against the coming hobgoblin horde."
Winter is coming...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Keehnelf »

Tamerlin nods. "We will need folk on the field to tend to the wounded and soothe those who cannot be saved. It's a messy job but if done well will make an enormous difference once the battle is done. No battle is ever won without some sacrifices. Will you stand in this role?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu Erana turns to the lieutenants Blavern and Tamerlin.

'I too would offer my services in combat and healing, but at the moment I have promised myself to a rather urgent expedition. There is the possibility that we may not get back before the hobgoblins arrive. Please accept my apologies. However, if I survive the expedition and return in time, you and the Duke's purse can count on my joining your cause.'

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by hedgeknight »

"I will gladly serve in this role, and with Pelor's protection, we will survive this threat."
Krysta says with a slight bow of her head.

"Now, do I have a place to stay here or should I find a room in town?"

Krysta has a fair amount of gold. Are there any potions or scrolls of healing for purchase in town?
Winter is coming...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Keehnelf »

There are none for sale, but since you have some time you can make your own scrolls at a lower price than you could buy them for anyway (see the How This Works thread for details).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Zhym »

Ulf sells a war hammer he no longer needs and a shield he somehow held onto after he obtained his magical one.

Shield: 5
War hammer: 3.5

Total: 8g 5s

I was going to do this and the armor at once, but with the armor's disposition waiting on Orrin to hash things out with Bertram, I thought I'd go ahead and take care of it now.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by KingOfCowards »

Straight from his confrontation with Orrin, the demon was kind enough to remind him of his duties to his friends and Bertram pays a visit to the temple of Branwyn.
"Father Gronn. Do you remember me? I have some questions about demonic possession..."
Bertram goes into a long story about Bromric's plight yada, yada, yada...
"Is there anyway we can help him?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Keehnelf »

The priest looks immensely saddened as he hears Bertram's tale from beginning to end. "Indeed, this is a cause for grave concern. Demons and devils who find their way to our plane can cause great mischief and misery just through their presence, if not through the pursuit of any malicious goals. These are also creatures of great supernatural power, and only a divine intercession of great strength can affect them and cause them to directly manifest in order that they can be destroyed or driven back to their place of origin.

"Do you know what type of demon this is, or what its plane of origin might be? Knowledge of these things might make our task easier. The blessing and incantations required are far beyond my current capabilities, but if we were to prepare a great offering to Branwyn in the name of this act, there is a small chance that it might result in a successful separation of the creature from your friend.

"Otherwise, the most straightforward way to ensure the demon's manifestation or destruction would be to separate your friend from the sword that seems to have been a conduit for him, ward the sword against evil, and destroy your friend's body."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#133 Post by Dogma »

While waiting for the expedition to free Bromric from possession to leave Vaul, Martin would like to see if there is a set of banded mail for sale.
Last edited by Dogma on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by hedgeknight »

Krysta rents a private room at the inn for a week (7 sp) and then spends a few hours gathering the supplies she needs to scribe three scrolls. (450 gp)
She will basically hole up in there, only coming out for meals, for the next three days until the scrolls are done.
Winter is coming...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, one suit of banded mail remains at book price +20%.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by Dogma »

Consider it bought.

Once we figure out what day we leave I'll deduct room and board. Martin will be spending some time praying for guidance on how to help Bromric.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Keehnelf »

Martin's prayer reveals: The only clearly-defined option is the Dispel Evil spell (5th level cleric) which would force the demon out of its current residence into the open.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by KingOfCowards »

Keehnelf wrote:"Do you know what type of demon this is, or what its plane of origin might be? Knowledge of these things might make our task easier. The blessing and incantations required are far beyond my current capabilities, but if we were to prepare a great offering to Branwyn in the name of this act, there is a small chance that it might result in a successful separation of the creature from your friend."[/dialog]
Bertram wracks his brain for information that could help the priest. Shaking his head he replies, "The demon has been very cagey about what information it gives out. What we know; It is most certainly from another plane of existence as you suggested, and its primary objective seems to be returning to that plane; While occupying the body of our friend, it puts off extreme heat which I would assume makes some suggestions as to its comfort level; Thirdly, it delights in making deals. It struck some sort of bargain with our friend, and again promised us treasure and use of its spell-like powers if we would promise to aid it in returning to its plane; Fourth, it is evil. Galen, a cleric of Koios, detected as much even when dwarf was disconnected from the sword. I do not like the idea of destroying my friend, though I fear what a powerful evil presence can achieve on our plane while its here. What offering do you suggest? Do we have enough information to even prepare such an offering?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Marullus »

Duo-Bromric handles odds and ends while in town.

He already fixed the armor for 10gp, finished April 29.

He pays a 1% fee to convert 440gp to platinum.(-5gp)

He rents a room at the in for three nights to not stay in the common room. (-3sp)

He buys 10 days preserved rations (-6gp), three days food at the inn, and 7 days standard rations for the trip (-24sp). He stables Gustav the Pony for three nights as well. (-3sp)

He inquires of the masons - what are costs for construction, and are there any structures suitable for repair and defense (like Wendall's tower was)? Being an war engineer himself, he speaks with knowledge and interest.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Keehnelf »

KingOfCowards wrote:
Keehnelf wrote:"Do you know what type of demon this is, or what its plane of origin might be? Knowledge of these things might make our task easier. The blessing and incantations required are far beyond my current capabilities, but if we were to prepare a great offering to Branwyn in the name of this act, there is a small chance that it might result in a successful separation of the creature from your friend."[/dialog]
Bertram wracks his brain for information that could help the priest. Shaking his head he replies, "The demon has been very cagey about what information it gives out. What we know; It is most certainly from another plane of existence as you suggested, and its primary objective seems to be returning to that plane; While occupying the body of our friend, it puts off extreme heat which I would assume makes some suggestions as to its comfort level; Thirdly, it delights in making deals. It struck some sort of bargain with our friend, and again promised us treasure and use of its spell-like powers if we would promise to aid it in returning to its plane; Fourth, it is evil. Galen, a cleric of Koios, detected as much even when dwarf was disconnected from the sword. I do not like the idea of destroying my friend, though I fear what a powerful evil presence can achieve on our plane while its here. What offering do you suggest? Do we have enough information to even prepare such an offering?"
"Well, the description certainly fits a demon--but without more specific information any invocation I make has a high chance of failure. I can request Branwyn's intercession but he is a deity of scrupulous adherence to the Law, and if we do not follow the precise strictures appropriate to the type of creature it is we may see no effect regardless. I don't want to estimate chances of success, but given how vague things are I would say they are very low, in addition to quite expensive: in order to conduct the rituals necessary, I would require a flawless diamond of significant value and a short rod of gold worth approximately one hundred gold pieces, that would both be consumed in Branwyn's righteous fires."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”