Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

#1 Post by C. Steven Ross »

END CAMP PHASE - START ADVENTURE PHASE

You wake up from your fitful rest in the dank corner of the Hobgoblins' lair. Ghaaldar, his armored chest held high, bellows to you,

"Very well, humans. I have given you shelter in my camp. Go forth and see that hobbly old bastard Drum-Haak for the answers you seek. You might want to hold back that it was I who sent you, if you intend to get much cooperation from him."

START TURN 1
7 Turns to Rewards

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

#2 Post by Marullus »

Moving this forward...
C. Steven Ross wrote:
Marullus wrote:That's the reason for my question. 3 of 5 options are flooded. Did he indicate one?
3). Winding, narrow caves. A cold breeze wafts in from that direction and chilly water trickles across the floor.
4). A flooded passageway with stagnant, fetid water about chest high.
6). A flooded passageway with stagnant, fetid water about waist high.
Oh no, path #3 is a little damp but it is certainly not flooded. Drum-Haak is somewhere back behind paths #4 and/or #6.
OOC:
- Are we attempting Healing on Garen's Sick condition?
- We start over on Turn 1, so we are no longer about to hit the Grind. Right?

Ulrich looks at the flooded passages with discomfort. He then looks at Rand's soaked footwear, then his own dry footwear, then again back at the stagnant, fetid water.

"Anyone know how to fashion a boat?"

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by thesniperknight1 »

I think that using a turn on me and it not being successful might be a waste of a precious turn, so I would rather just shake it off and be under the mercy of Stephen, DO YOUR WORST.......please don't :lol:
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Building boats, I believe, is a carpenter test.

Garen: You sweat out the fever but the ordeal leaves a lasting impression on your system. Lose a point of Will.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rand approaches Ghaaldar. The hobgoblin looked smaller and less fearsome after his near death experience. "We thank you and your kin for the shelter. We will make good on our vow to banish the Daedra that holds your Tiamat captive.

"When we bartered you said you would aid us. Telling us of the shaman will only help if we find him. A map would help both our causes. Or at least descriptions of what perils are to found in each path. As would torches for our feeble eyes to read by." The hope of gaining a map or parchment to read excited Rand.

steven, what are their wall sconces like? Are they just torches?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by C. Steven Ross »

The torches you saw before in sconces are all now burned out to ash. A pair of tiny Goblins shamble about with Shackleton their feet, holding burning embers for the benefit of their larger kinfolk.

Ghaldaar rubs his chin thoughtfully and nods. He will update your map (see below), but for the torches, make an opposed Persuader test against his Nature 4 (lying).

I got a, ugh, 1 success.

[4d6s4] = 1
Last edited by C. Steven Ross on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by C. Steven Ross »

UPDATED MAP:

Rand pointing out that updating the party's map was on par with the Hobgoblins' promise on 'giving information' was a Good Idea!, so no test was made. Thus, you've gained the same benefit as if Ghaaldar had updated your map for you with a successful Cartographer test.

Maps in Torchbearer are, like pretty much everything else, really interesting and really different than what most RPG players are used to. Maps are detailed instructions on how to expertly bypass the traps, hazards, and dangerous terrain that you've already found a good way past. Maps allow you to instantly and effortlessly bypass these things, they're a knowledge database on how to overcome challenges you've already beat.

You can go in between any of the areas in red text in a 'fast travel' mode, instantly going there if there are no immediate threats.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

My second good idea!!! Woohoo! Only to be offset by a persuader test... :P

Let me get this right before rolling: persuader 2 + 1D (persona). Can I recruit Garen's argument wise? What about Norgtim's shrewd appraisal-wise to know the value of such an item to murder hobos vs a settled group of cave dwellers? (As in, thy don't need them as much and can make more easily enough, whereas they offered us nothing in the way of physical aid until the map.)

Also, I cannot recall if this would be a good place to throw in a bit of Garen's treasure for an extra 1D.

If all that works, I would have 6D, so I wouldn't use it all, just checking to see if I have that right.

Thanks.

And nice map!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

i forgot. How does exhausted and lightin work here? -1s for exhausted in this case?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Make sure to clear out all your checks everyone! Just broke Camp.

I'll keep bright light for this test, but right after, you guys will almost certainly be in dim light at best, so probably a good idea to start talking about lighting levels soon.

Exhausted gives Rand -1s to this test, yes.

I'll accept argument-wise but not shrewd appraisal, I think that's reaching.

+1D for persona, sure thing.

Bribing your way with loot here would be part of a separate test, as we're not doing this as a prolonged Conflict. Really, though, loot is better than a bundle of torches.

Any other Helps or traits?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

point taken about treasure vs torches and appraisal-wise being a stretch. We are considering that more about true treasure (statues, baubles, etc) i guess.

Other ideas I had included Norgrim's haggler skill, since I am dickering about what constitutes an appropriate amount of physical aid. I was thinking a wise would shield him from I'll effects though.
My other thought was Ulrich's orator trait. It felt a bit stretchy to me, but the reasoning is because Ghaaldar is such an important figure, I wouldn't really be speaking on a personal friend level. Something a bit more formal might be appropriate.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by C. Steven Ross »

I'll take Haggler, but Orator is a stretch. Orator is really an oddball skill for starting characters. It's used principally to sway crowds of angry peasants who are upset with your new taxation regime. Being as none of you are feudal lords, its application is sometimes a bit limited. Same with the commander skill, but that's going off on a tangent.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

C. Steven Ross wrote:I'll take Haggler, but Orator is a stretch. Orator is really an oddball skill for starting characters. It's used principally to sway crowds of angry peasants who are upset with your new taxation regime. Being as none of you are feudal lords, its application is sometimes a bit limited. Same with the commander skill, but that's going off on a tangent.
i'll see your tangent and raise you a: Ulrich's traits seem more limited too. Both Defender and Feared in Hell lack the flexibility of most other traits. Anyhow, glad to see I was right honking it was a stretch.

As Rand discussed the matter of the torches with Ghaaldar, Garen tactfully interjected several good points, which added to Rand's arguments and threw the Hobgoblin off. Norgrim also spoke up about the relative value of the torches, focusing on how little the hobgoblins needed them compared to the adventurers they had bound themselves to. They pressed hard to be allowed to take as many as they could carry.as Norgrim pointed out, it was a small price to pay to have your Goddess returned to you.
Defender 2D + 1D (Garen's wise) +1D (Norgrim's haggler) + 1D (persona)
[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 4
Should have earned a check and not wasted the persona. Still, we get torches. Also, I realized I never mentioned an amount, so I hope that stellar roll gives us leave to take our fill. :)

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by C. Steven Ross »

You get one inventory slot of torches, four of them!

Make sure to also mark a successful Persuader test, spent Persona point, and Garen's wise advancement as 'pass'.

END TURN 1
6 Turns to Rewards

Let's talk lighting! The Goblins are running off, leaving you in dim light at best. Are you going to stay that way? Light up a torch? Maybe two?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rand lights two torches from the departing hobgoblins, thanking them as they leave. He hands one lit torch to Garen and one unlit torch to Norgrim and Ulrich. The cleric's faith in the creatures of the world has been renewed. He brightly asks, "What path do you lot feel has the best chance to find this shaman?"

looked at your sheets and it seems that will take Ulrich to 8 torches and Norgrim to 4, so no new slots are needed.

Steven, any chance Ghaaldar mentioned what a dire eel is? Weaknesses?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Ghaaldar explains that he has no idea, his rival Drum-Haak having run off to a portion of the dungeon he is not familiar with.

Have one of you read about or encountered such creatures before? Perhaps your character would like to take a second and think about it.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

i dont want to hog the narration, but after a look through everyone skills, I am the only person with scholar (2) and I have 1 test towards the hunter skill. So I mig actually pass it if I think I read about it, or I could have another test toward hunter if I narrated that route. What do you all think?do any of your characters need/want a test toward this? Or should we not push the grind?

Maybe Garen can cook one though!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Where do I find this updated map?

I could have helped in that last test with Nature, right? (not an issue, just making sure I know)

I'll refill up to the 8 torches, per the above post.

Rand and Garen are now the light-bearers?

i'll see your tangent and raise you a: Ulrich's traits seem more limited too. Both Defender and Feared in Hell lack the flexibility of most other traits. Anyhow, glad to see I was right honking it was a stretch.
Feared in Hell can be used against myself every time I have impure thoughts. I figure I can work that in anywhere. :) At least as long as we're in proximity to a Daedra, it has tangible consequence options if I fail the roll, too.
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by C. Steven Ross »

That map is in the post I made today to this thread at around 845am EST.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

C. Steven Ross wrote:That map is in the post I made today to this thread at around 845am EST.
Is it an image? A link? I see "UPDATED MAP:" but nothing after it. I'll try when I get home.

Return to “No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)”