Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

#161 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Whoaaaaaaaa! Do you strike down the old man? Drum-Haak raises his staff in defense.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Marullus »

Yes. If you declare it a 'Good Idea!' Then I decapitate him with my upswing before he has a chance to utter another obnoxious word or spell. Otherwise I assume it initiates a Kill conflict.

I thought I would RP against Ulrich's belief when Norgrim tried to negotiate, but the NPC slid even further to the the obnoxious and unhelpful. It is like the moment in Firefly where the guy refuses to parlay reasonably and Mal kicks him into the jet engine. His greatest value given his words so far is as a corpse which we can loot.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

This creature is frustratingly petty and obscure... But the thought was only half formed when Ulrich lashed out at the hobgoblin. Having already offered them information, Rand knew the mage had likely done as much to help the world as he was ever going to do. And it did not take much dwelling to see Drum-Haak would turn his animated beast against them as well. Rand whispered a prayer to the Elders, asking them for guidance and protection in the coming battle as he wedged his torch into one of the ruins on the clay beast and drew forth his mace.

Grim faced, he stood ready to fight by the paladin.

If possible, I am using the clay form to hold the torch in place so I can use my mace.

If he takes part, I nominate Enoch as conflict captain. For most of the melee conflicts, Fighter is used to roll, with health added to the dice. Norgrim exceeds us all in both categories and he has persona or fate (cannot recall which right now). Also, for the action types:
Attack and Feint use Fighter. Maneuver and Defend use Health. About even for my character. :P

I edited the post slightly to say he was ready to stand by Ulrich, and that he wedges the torch into the ruins on the clay, hopefully hindering his ability to animate it.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#164 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Ulrich:

Update your character sheet to show the Injured condition, which you gained at the top of Post 6 on this thread. It's kind of frustrating to see people not staying on top of bookkeeping.

Make an opposed Fighter test. Don't forget your -1D for Injured. Drum-Haak is out of his element here, so he is rolling half Nature (2D). There's a +1 Ob penalty to fighting in such deep water, but both of you are struggling against it, so it is awash. Give yourself a +1D for having strictly better weapons than your opponent as well.

If you fail this, you'll get Injured again, which means you succumb to your wounds and die.

[2d6s4] = 0

Oh ho ho! Not so good for the old curmudgeon, but maybe you will roll 0 successes as well and fail. The dice have an infinite capacity for betrayal.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Marullus »

(Injured added, my apologies for the slow bookkeeping.)

Rolling... 3D fighter -1 injured +1D sword +1D Defender

Opposed fighter [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2

Ulrich moves abruptly, the hobgoblin still gloating mid-chortle. He swings his sword in an upward arc and slashes the megalomaniac grievously, the chortle wetly turning to a gargle. Ulrich looks on him. "There is a distinct lack of mindless servants in this world for a reason... Command and authority will never be yours. Your body will feed the eels and your soul tortured by whatever foul powers claim you as their own."

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#166 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Garen gasps at Ulrich sudden movements, he though the old man could be used as a pawn to create a great diversion for them to free the slaves and escape this place safely.....relatively at least, "Am I the only one cunning and manipulative here? You all seem to be too pure hearted, you see an evil man, your instinct is to immediately kill it? We could have exploited him a bit further to get what we want....well, some of what we want", he looks to the gem with eyes of greed, "but.....he was getting on my nerves as well", he starts laughing then readies his dagger just in case.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#167 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Drum-Haak is slain and his lifeless body sinks beneath the fetid water. Blood pools up to the surface, swirling red and black.

END TURN 5
2 Turns to Rewards
As I recall, torches are burning out on even numbers, so 2 torches get used up.

Don't forget to mark a passed Fighter test for Ulrich.

What do you do now?!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The red-black blood, swirling in the fetid water is poetic in the dimming light,'but Rand knows there is little time to reflect on it. Instead, he fetches another torch from Enoch and ignites it from the torch in Garen's hand. "I understand your dismay Garen, but Ulrich had the right of it. Like his kin, Drum-Haak would have used our services and given us little in exchange. And I fear he would have used his animated beast to kill or enslave us. We are better off without him. Indeed, his death can serve us better. His passing may buy us better accommodations with his kin once they know he had planned to murder Ghaaldar. And now we can take that gem and sell it to help your sister. Why don't you climb up
And grab it and then we can search this room for anything else of value? This was Drum-Haak's laboratory. He might have hidden more items here."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Marullus »

His face grim, he remains silent and lets Rand answer for him. Instead, he grabs the sinking body and the staff... for someone like Drum-Haak, his most important items are likely on him, and as an adventurer Ulrich is not above looting his corpse for them. He looks over the wet staff as well for any signs of the eldrich - the hobgoblin seemed very assured by it and perhaps it has utility.

(Fighter test marked. We're using Norgrim's torches first? I'll not mark off mine until told.)

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#170 Post by C. Steven Ross »

The staff is gnarled and has spots of rot, but no inscriptions. It functions as a 10 ft. pole (Carry 2, +1D Scout tests).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Marullus »

Okay. :) Ulrich offers it to the others, as he doesn't intend to carry a rotted pole. We'll wait on the answer of any other loot unconvered in the room, on the body, and/or when Garen retrieves the gem. Perhaps the promised Daedra-weapon.

We're lighting two of Norgrim's torches, right?

I suggest our next move is to go next door to the library for to check for the Daedra-knowledge.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#172 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Garen nods, "Yeah, I suppose there are many ways to go about obtaining what we need but that was dangerous, I have to say that was very courageous Ulrich, you were a soldier after all I suppose. Oh yes, the more coins we get the better for us all", Garen grinned from ear to ear as he climbed up to the platform to retrieve the gem.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#173 Post by C. Steven Ross »

You grab the emerald! It is Pack/Carry 1 and worth 3D loot.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by thesniperknight1 »

He puts the emerald in his sack, "Okay, should we search this room for more loot or is it fruitless?", Garen glances around casually seeing if there is anything that could be of value.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#175 Post by C. Steven Ross »

There isn't any more treasure, but "valuable" is different to different people. There's lots of rusty tools and other junk beneath the water, you can hear it clang around when you walk. Is there something specific that you're looking for?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

SK: you have scout 3. The pole would boost that and Norgrim can help (and spend a check to gain a passed/failed skill test of his own). It might be a good idea to search the room for statue heads and a serviceable weapon for Garen at the least.

We can put the torches in the clay so I can hold your sack, freeing both your hands for the pole.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clerical Notes:
If we used 2 of Norgrim's torches twice, he has an open slot in his satchel. By putting his hammer there, he could hold a torch. if Ulrich keeps garen's sack, Garen can keep the pole, which may help with mapping too since we have a measuring tool.

Though if he finds a weapon, that plan goes to pot...

Steven, if I have 1/2 slot of candles and a small sack is pack 1/2, can I pack Norgrim's small sack in with the gong and candles?

And next time we make camp I will try to use my ripped wineskin to mend my pack, thereby opening 2 slots on Rand. That should help us a bit.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#178 Post by C. Steven Ross »

No half-slots! But you've got some good ideas about stabbing torches in 7 ft mounds of clay. If you end up with more non-loan stuff than you can carry, throw that crap away!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

C. Steven Ross wrote:No half-slots!
but but but... :P
Is repairing my backpack something I can attempt right now or do we need to be camping? I am hoping you'll let me use the wineskin as supplies (+1D) when repairing my bag. It is the only reason I am toting it around. Is that allowable or can you not tell me yet?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#180 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Yes and yes! Though you could also repair both (separate actions).

Return to “No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)”