Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 2b: Unlikely Allies

#141 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

anyone have any ideas? In general, i am beginning to question our goals. I still wants to banish the Daedra, but have little interest in restoring Tiamat. They are selfish, self serving creatures, so why should their god be any different?

I am wondering if we can persuade this shaman to give us the precious stone and information for more treasure and a way out. Or we could try to grab the stone and lock him into this room... While waiting for your feedback:

"As you wish, Drum-Haak. If our paths do not run parallel, then we shall continue on our own. Perhaps you would be so gracious to offer us other helpful information though. What can you tell us of the history of Tiamat or the Daedra? Are there dark elves here? If so, how do they fit into the puzzle? And more immediately, how do you avoid those eels?"

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#142 Post by C. Steven Ross »

He replies to Norgrim, "That which was denied to me. That which, by rights, aught be mine. That which I will take with sorcery to defeat not steel, but the hand that wields it. I will claim my true place as leader of my people. Perhaps the next time we meet, dwarf, you will be in chains scrubbing the tiled floor of my palace."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Marullus »

Per his belief, Ulrich advocates the direct approach. The Goblin Paladin's motivations were suspect enough... as Druum-Haak declared he isn't even moral enough to support them, he is a foe to be vanquished in Ulrich's eyes. Leaving him here at cross-proposes can only lead to dismay later.

As far as goals, he has no interest in restoring Tiamat (not even knowing the portion of the story that would advocate that). Destroying the daedra is laudible and he supports it as a Paladin, but his true goal is to recover the Daakan artifact that it guards.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#144 Post by C. Steven Ross »

He replies to Rand, "

Tiamat was once worshiped here by religious fools who didn't have the stomach to do the will of the Dragon-Mother. The daedra knew this, they could feel this, and that was the old paladins' downfall.

Once my ancestors were corrupted by the daedra, they were easily defeated by the elves that live in lightless caves deep in the earth. The elves are too lawless to rebuild the temple or do anything meaningful for their 'society', but slavers still roam these halls looking for spoils.

The eels pose no threat to such as I, a master of the arcane.

".

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#145 Post by C. Steven Ross »

@Ulrich: I know, right?!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

C. Steven Ross wrote:He replies to Rand, "

Tiamat was once worshiped here by religious fools who didn't have the stomach to do the will of the Dragon-Mother. The daedra knew this, they could feel this, and that was the old paladins' downfall.
So... Tiamat is the dragon mother, right? Or did I misinterpret something?

If anyone wants to get into a battle, Rand will have your back. Drive off is probably best. Steel the gem and skedaddle. Or we can walk out alive...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Marullus »

Ulrich is willing to go with a Kill conflict. I so no good from leaving this prick alive. I'd also be willing to keep it limited instead of risking all four of us. That said, Norgrim and I are already Injured by the eels, so that's an even bigger risk.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#148 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Can't we make a forgery of the gem that can fool him long enough for us to finish our tasks?
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

probably would need ti,e and resources to do that.

I have a feeling a kill conflict would leave a few of us dead. If the head of that clan hasnt killed him yet, this guy must have some sort of power... maybe we go for more Information and "sell" it to ghalldar. Let the hobgoblins deal with it on their own, then reclaim the stone later... if we can map it... :P

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#150 Post by thesniperknight1 »

So we hold off the fight for now?
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thinking about our lack of direction this session caused me to reread a page or two of this thread, then look at sheets. It is interesting how the Session Goals do that to us. Clearly we do not all want the same thing! :lol:

SK: Your instinct could have been triggered when we entered the room. Also, your goal should be leading you to trying to get that gem. ;) (As a player, I want you to get that gem!!! And Rand hopes it might help with the demon.) So what're you going to do about all that? C'mon, thief! (Though you can always decide it isn't worth challenging a mage.)

Rand is prepared to defend you all to get rid of this guy and get the treasure. We could search it for traps/secret passages afterwards.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

Ulrich will either Kill this guy (keeping consequences on himself to Defend you all) or Capture (to get the daemon info and daemon weapon from him). He'll stick to his beliefs for direction in this case.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Have at it, champ!

*grabs popcorn with extra butter*

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#154 Post by thesniperknight1 »

good! go get him!! My iitial plan was to make him fight with the other hotgoblins and in the confusion, free the slaves and get out. Garen doesn't really care about vanquishing evil, getting enough money to survive is enough and that's why he isn't in much of a hurry, and as for traps, the door wasn't trapped so I just assumed the rest isn't :lol:

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by Enoch »

Well, my Goal is actually to recover the heads. It's deeply unsatisfying to a dwarven stoneworker to see a statue desecrated in that way. My Belief, however, is to protect you all...

Norgrim turns and spits into the water and wades forward, setting himself between Drum-Haak and the cleric. "I doubt it, goblin. If you could destroy us so easily, I suspect you'd have done so already. Probably the hobgoblin leader too, if you could. Still, we've no love for them, either.

"Maybe we work together, eh? You tell us where we can find the missing pieces of the statue, and we help you regain your place among your people."
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

good twist from the dwarf!!! Blackmail?

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#157 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Good Idea! You're speaking directly to Drum-Haak's goal.

Drum-Haak's eyes narrow and his teeth clench. He speaks to you in a much more terse, clipped tone,

"Very well, dwarf. Perhaps I can agree to your deal. How do you propose to help me? I would also, of course, require some sort of guarantee or proof of you doing your side of the bargain."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rand was pleased to see Norgrim's ability to goad the hobgoblin into assisting them. "If your clan is dedicated to restoring Tiamat, then surely assisting us as we rebuild the statue and banish the demon would be taking steps in the direction you desire." He waded back to the clay monolith and hovered his hand over its surface, "how was his supposed to help you 'take back' your clan?"

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#159 Post by C. Steven Ross »

"Rebuilding the statue serves me not while Ghaaldar has control. And as for the fiery spirits, they can rot here in this miserable dungeon for eternity for all I care."

Drum-Haak then explains that he was in the midst of creating a mindless, magical servant to do his bidding and pummel his enemies. He asks if one of any you has skill at artistry and sculpting, and would help him craft the creature.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Marullus »

Ulrich flexes his grip on his sword compulsively. Every instinct, every belief, screams to the threat this creature poses. Pure, unadulterated hubris... power-hungry... completely opposed to our purpose. He speaks to enslaving Norgrim, serving the dragon-god, slaughtering the Paladin (though he likely deserves it). He has no interest in defeating the daedra -- our sole use for him -- and wishes us to help him get more power and capability in the form of a magical golem? The Scrolls of Herbert say "It is not that power corrupts. It is that it is magnetic to the corruptible." The first rule of command is to contain this. Even leaving him alive and behind us only magnifies the threat he poses in the future. No deal he strikes can bind him to any purpose but his own. The only way to defend this group and achieve its goals is to ensure this creature is bound or dead.

He restrains himself, allowing the dwarf to talk. No hope, no promising words come from the creature's lips. If he has knowledge it will not be used for good. He speaks to service to the dragon-mother, to the daedra, to himself. He desires a golem, meaning that gem is no proof against the daedra but merely treasure to animate a greater threat. He does not labor to defeat the daedra as the Hobgoblin believed... already a broken promise. None of these can stand. None of these are acceptable.

His fingers clench and unclench. He says a silent prayer for judgment, then decides to act. Insidious deals such as these corrupt the soul. The only sure defense against this unabashed servant of evil is to end his life. He swings the sword abruptly upward, imposing himself between the loathsome creature and the others.

Return to “No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)”