VI. Bassy's House

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

VI. Bassy's House

#1 Post by dmw71 »

This is just a placeholder. The actual encounter will be played out in the private forums of the players involved.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: VI. Bassy's House (Kassal, Ciar, Fulp)

#2 Post by dmw71 »

After a very short trip, the trio arrive outside the very short front door of Bassy's meager home. Kassal, the de facto leader in this mission, knocks lightly after pausing briefly. A shuffling sound is heard coming from within and, a moment later, an elderly, but spry-looking gnomish woman peers out through a now open door.
Bassy.png
Bassy.png (19.46 KiB) Viewed 834 times
"Yes?" she asks.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Kassal raises his eyebrows and bows politely. "Pardon our intrusion," he begins as politely as he can, "We were wishing to speak with you, about what has occurred at the ruined tower and the missing wizard, if that is possible. Lady Devy suggested you may have information that may assist us in our search for him."

"Oh, dear," Bassy sighs. "I'm afraid Balthus Hunclay was a recluse, and did not mingle with his neighbors, including me." she starts, then welcomes everyone into her home, apologizing to Fulp in advance for what will undoubtedly be tight accommodations. "Hunclay was always defensive of his property, and no one in Belhaim has entered Hunclay manor, save his few servants—none of whom have been seen since the Witch Tower fell."

"Now, my memory isn't what it once was. I apologize."
she says, offering each of you a spot of tea. "Truth be told, that wizard Hunclay always spooked me. I heard he worships devils and collects evil books! "
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Kassal raises his eyebrows once again. "Oh really? Did he have a familiar at all, a bird or animal that followed him around do you know?" he asks, but Bassy confesses she's never seen him with a creature like that. "We also heard there might be a hidden entrance into his dwelling, or the ruined tower. Is that something you have heard about, my lady?" Kassel inquires, gratefully accepting the offer of tea.

Bassy mentions that she heard there are old mine shafts beneath the elevations, but that she hears they're infested with the ghosts of miners. "Maybe one of the old shafts could be used as a secret entrance?" she wonders, but concedes that she's never seen the entrance to any of the mine shafts, and doesn't have any first-hand knowledge about them or their location.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Fulp leans forward to encourage Kassal to inquire about any mining in town, but the gnome has already begun to follow up that line of questioning. "I see," he replies, "I don't suppose you remember any miners that may know and would be willing to talk to us or even show us a way into such shafts?"

"Sadly, the mines I speak of are several centuries old, and an earthquake, that otherwise left the town relatively unharmed, caused the town’s quarry to flood, and buried the mines. They, if they still exist, haven't been used in over 200 years I'm afraid."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: VI. Bassy's House (Only: Kassal, Ciar, Fulp)

#6 Post by Storm11 »

The gnome looks saddened at such news. "And so such secret entrances, have you any idea how we might go about our searching to find one? Does the town keep old plans perhaps on the mines where about's from years gone by perhaps?"
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by onlyme »

Fulp nods his frustrated understanding that they are not going to get the information they were hoping for.
I think we need to prepare for water, in case we find flooded tunnels. But as for finding easy entrances, I dont know where or who else to turn.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Ciar frowns. "Every time we ask about the tower, people start telling us about this Hunclay bloke. I don't care about him right now; I want to know why it was called the Witch's Tower and who lived there before it was abandoned. Hunclay didn't have anything to do with what we found in there; that stuff has been there and rotting for years before Hunclay ever came here. Madame Bassy, what do you know of the history of the tower itself?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Responding to Kassal first, Bassy warns him that what he's seeking is not likely to be found, but his best bets would be to check with Ionnia Nachis, the town scribe, or perhaps Jacoba Kivris over at the 'Belhaim Record Hall'. "The old quarry and the long-submerged mines are way over there," she says, pointing in the direction beyond the tower itself.

"The Witch Tower, eh? Bassy sighs. "Is just a superstitious name." "

Tula Belhaim, the founder and namesake of this fair town, married and had four children, but each child died of accident or misadventure before the age of 9, leaving the new barony with no heirs. Tula grew morbid and obsessed with building a grand tomb for herself and her family."

"The Witch Tower is believed to be that tomb."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Ciar looks at the aged gnome incredulously, "It's a tomb, then? So far, we've come across a dozen prison cells and a torture room, but nothing like a crypt..."

He lapses back into silence, allowing the others to ask any further questions before they leave.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

"Is believed to be a tomb," Bassy corrects Ciar."And that, if true, was it's original purpose."

"This was a long time ago. It predates even me."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

"I understand," Ciar replies genially. "It's just something to keep an eye out for, I guess. Too bad the dwarf isn't with us anymore; he might have a better understanding of the stonework we see and when or if it was changed. Thank you for your time, Madam Bassy."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

"Now, if you don't mind, I have many preparations to make for my trip. If there are no more questions..."
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by onlyme »

Fulp replies,

Thank you for your time. We hope we weren't an inconvenience or a burden. He turns to Ciar and whispers, " I suppose we should at the least check out those names she gave, umm, Ionnia Nachis or Jacoba Kirvis, I believe she said. I think at the records office.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

The group, at Fulp's suggestion, learns that the scribe and hall of records are nearby the Wise Piper (#4), and worth a stop.
Mine Shaft.png
Mine Shaft.png (88.93 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Ionnia, the town scribe, does business at the 'Nachis Sisters' (#6), and, while everything about Ionnia's personality is elegant and helpful, she regrets to inform you that she has no documentation about the mines.
Ionnia Nachis.png
Ionnia Nachis.png (39.13 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Jacoba, at the hall of records, does not believe there are any documents in existence, at least that she's aware of, that mapped the mines and the location of its shafts.
Belhaim Record Hall (#10)
Jacoba Kivris.png
Jacoba Kivris.png (41.39 KiB) Viewed 811 times
While not enthused at the thought, she says she could research it, but "it will take a while."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

Ciar places five gold coins on Jacoba's desk and asks, "About how long might that take, then?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by onlyme »

Fulp watches to see what reaction that might cause.
Ciar, that is a lot of gold. I sure hope this fine lady is as good a searcher as she appears to be.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Jacoba smiles at the sight of Ciar's offering. "The problem is not one of coins," she says, eyes never leaving the gold resting on her countertop, "but of time."

She prys her gaze away from the payment and settles her eyes on the three of you. "What you're looking for is old information. Very old. I've never seen it, and I'm doubtful it exists. Any seriously outdated information like that was all tossed into a room and left unorganized. For this --" her eyes turn back to the coins. "I could maybe find it, if there's anything to be found, in days instead of weeks, but three, maybe four days is the best you can expect... but, honestly, I'll be surprised if what you're looking for even exists."

She waits for your acceptance of her timeline before collecting the coins and accepting them as payment.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Ciar ignores Fulp, and makes it obvious he is doing so, as he nods, "Do your best, ma'am, that's all we can ask." He leaves the five coins on the desk as he turns away with a wave and a promise to return in four days time to see if she's found anything out.

After they leave the presence of Jacoba, he turns to Fulp and says, "When you're trying to get information, it's not the same as buying a sack of flour, is it? We need information and we need it quickly. It's what it took to get the job done. In any case, what does it matter to you? You worry about spending your coin an I'll worry about how I spend mine, yah?"

In silence, he heads back to the inn for a bite of lunch while they wait for the others to return.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by onlyme »

Fulp responds,
Lighten up, would ya? I just wanted her to know it was a lot of gold, and not to assume you had 10 more behind it if she kept himming and hawing until we threw more on...

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”