Re: Action Thread 7

#41 Post by Vokarius »

"Wait. You sure you do not want me to try a second arrow?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

"No, we've already hit it twice, Derek. I think we're ok. Save your arrows for a living target."

Till proceeds to examine the sarcophagus.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - The Sarcophagus

Using the light of the Big Stick and various unsheathed magic swords, you all traipse back and give Till a boost onto the dais. The dais is 10' high, it does have a 30' diameter. The sarcophagus is in the center and is 20' long and 8' wide - a bit daunting considering. As Till begins his work, Rosin shudders a little when Till touches the lid. But nothing continues to happen. The stone is smooth (as smooth as worked stone can be really) without any markings of any kind. Everything, including the sarcophagus is solid, Till's uncertain how they'll get the lid off, though it is pretty standard, just a stone unhinged (apparently unlocked) heavy slab on top of the sarcophagus. It's just that it is large, and looks to be very heavy. Nothing else of note can be found. The sarcophagus is pretty obviously made of thick stone all over. Nothing reveals itself you your eyes, or searches, or to any of your comrades' eyes on the floor next to the dais.

Back to you again.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 33/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 38/40
WIH: Till: two hands searching; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Till (on the dais): Big Stick Light (20' radius), shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Bruard; 2 - Yosef & Derek; 3 - Till & Rosin
Consumables: Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Big Stick Light (Till) 45 mins; Lantern - out (Rosin) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by Alethan »

Till stands on top of the sarcophagus and holds the lighted stick up high in the air to see if he can get a better look at the tops of the columns.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by rredmond »

They are 35' tall. And look to be of the same worked, unmarked stone as the dais and the sarcophagus. The roof of the cavern you are in is beyond sight, so they just end at the top.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

Till has everyone stand back a ways and then uses the grappling hook and remaining 50' of rope to try and catch the ledge of the nearest pillar. Assuming he can do so, he'll tie the Light Stick to his belt (with a bit of line, so it hangs lower and doesn't get in his way) and climb up to the top of the pillar to check it out.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - The Sarcophagus

I'm assuming everyone is clustered right underneath the column. Clatter, clatter.

After a couple of tries Till is able to get the grappling hook to stick. As he climbs the column he sees that it is similar all the way up. It looks old, but solid, and unmarked. Getting to the top, you can easily stand on it, and have a great view of the shining swords below and all that they illuminate. Breathing an inward sigh of relief, nothing seems to happen.

Let me know if you are doing anything in particular.

WIH: Till: two hands searching; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Till (on the dais): Big Stick Light (20' radius), shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
Consumables: Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Big Stick Light (Till) 30 mins; Lantern - out (Rosin) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

Standing on the top of a 35' pillar, Till is suddenly grateful they are inside a mountain and that there is no breeze...

He examines the top of the pillar for any markings or carvings or niches of any kind. If he finds nothing, then he'll take a moment to look down on the sarcophagus and the columns to see if it gives him any insight. If nothing comes to him, then he'll climb down, making sure he'll be able to release the grappling hook with a whip of the rope when he's back down.

"Well, then... it seems solid enough. I don't know what the trap is, but it must be quite powerful if the end result is to collapse these columns on the tomb. I suppose it could cause the columns to do something else, but I don't know what that might be..."

He pauses in deep thought for a brief moment, then sighs.

"What do you all say to going back to camp, doing a bit of exploration further up the pass, then resting up and coming back here in the morning to try our luck with some spells that might further illuminate us as to who the owner of this tomb is. If that doesn't give us any more information, then... well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

He looks expectantly at the rest of the group to see what they want to do.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by migellito »

"Nothing written anywhere in memory of the dead. So strange. Wrong. There has to be more to this."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

Till nods, "I agree."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by rredmond »

The only insight that Till can gleen is that whatever the trap may be, it hasn't been sprung in a long time. Everything looks as if it has been standing for centuries untouched and unmolested.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till nods, "I agree."
Yosef also nods his head in the affirmative. "As do I, friends. A reconnoiter further out from our base camp would be a wise decision, if not only to ensure there are no other dangers currently lurking but to see if perhaps we might find some additional clues or such to aid us in solving the mysteries of this place. I am also hopeful that our dwarf... associate will be conscious again, that we might apply our... charms to him for the acquisition of additional intel..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by Alethan »

If some of those stick creatures had partially petrified, then we're talking many centuries, not just one or two. This would imply it is not our wizard's tomb we're looking at...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

(As discussed in the Strategy Thread...)

Till gathers up the grappling hook and makes sure everyone has packed everything up. Then the group will head back down the stairs, across the lake, up the rope, down the corridor, and down the mountain side to the base camp.

Once there, maybe Jeloon and Yosef can see if the dwarf is awake and able to answer questions. Bruard can attend Ancor, and Till will prepare for a stealthy leave of the camp to continue up the canyon a ways and see if he can find out if anything else is ahead of the party waiting for them or looking for them.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by migellito »

Assuming we make it to that point unaccosted, I will check on our captive dwarf.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - Midday

Your way back is just as quiet, dark and somewhat eerie as ever. But smooth and uneventful. When you make your way out of the hall and carefully out of the cave it remains uneventful. The stress and intensity of your delving makes it feel like longer, but as you stretch in the open and squint in the sunlight, you see it is still before midday.

Your hearts are light as you hear no sounds coming from below, your friends are not involved in any fighting or other distress that you can hear.

But as you come within sight of the camp. You see that this is not the case. Van and Eyman are up at the edges of the camp facing outward (Van facing Northwest and Eyman facing Southwest) and scanning the horizon. Ancor is napping near the DAMs, who are restless, and the dwarf slumbers still, snoring away. Heedless of the intensity Rosin collapses next to Ancor breathing heavy.

Van, with a quick look back at you all, nods and says
"definitely hobgoblins, at least 5, now to the north of us, but they know we've seen them. They kept a beeline north, and haven't returned, but I'm guessing they are our friends from last night." But Van doesn't relax his vigil, Eyman nods with a grim look and continues his watch as well.

No more Big Stick Light. Lunch is nigh. Sorry for the holidays sucking time away from the game, but it is now afoot :) .

WIH: Till: short sword, ??; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Rosin: Long sword, shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
Consumables: Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern - out (Rosin) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by Alethan »

Till sheathes his short sword and dagger and pulls out his sling.

"Well," he remarks, as he adjusts his gear and prepares for a fight, "at least we aren't going to give these brutes the chance to deceive us! So let's try and deceive them, instead!"

"I propose a two-pronged attack where they think we only have a spear, if you take my meaning." Seeing some confusion on Rosin's face, Till explains, "We'll have the main group move out to the hobs where they were last seen heading. I'll do my best at being unseen and skirt the other side of the canyon and see if I have any chance of taking them by surprise." He looks at Yosef, then glances down at his armour, "If you lose the chainmail, Yosef, I think the two of us stand a good chance of surprising them." (4 in 6 chance of surprise when the group consists of just halflings and elves in non-metal armour and at least 90' away from the rest of the party)

"Then we'd have a slightly better number advantage and the sight of four or five on our side (apparent better or even odds for them, depending on what Jeloon wants to do with his mercs) against their five might draw them into a fight more easily, allowing the two of us to get around behind them."

In case he hasn't already done so, Till hands Yosef back his magical bracers.

"Maybe you can fit into Ancor's leather armour? He isn't using it at the moment..."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by migellito »

Drawing her sword and unshouldering her shield, Jeloon nods at Till in agreement.

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#59 Post by Vokarius »

"Just tell me where to stand and who to stab..."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#60 Post by ToniXX »

"Sounds like a good plan, Till. Van, can you give us an estimate as to how far away the enemy is at this time?"
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”