Action Thread 7

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 7

#21 Post by Alethan »

"Bruard, can you scan the area inside the perimeter of the columns now? Maybe stand between two columns (just outside the circle, not ever actually standing between the columns) and look in towards the pedestal? It would be nice to know if the sarcophagus has the trigger on it or is the trigger..."

Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#22 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard nods then does as his halfling companion suggests (as long as there is enough spell left.)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - finally The Crypt

Bruard, almost sweating from the concentration, scans as far as he can inside the columns. After a few minutes (which feels like an eternity) he shakes his head then takes a step in between the columns. Waving off any nay-sayers, he takes another couple of steps, passing the columns and stopping inside them to scan floor, then dais, then sarcophagus. He takes an audible deep breath, as if relaxing, as he is obviously scanning the sarcophagus, moving to just put it within 10'. Ten minutes have crept by, Rosin shivers just a little, but enough that his teeth can be heard chattering.

I'll let Bruard take it from here. Please everyone double check that all the lines below are correct.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 33/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 38/40
WIH: Till: Short Sword to wield, CHALK; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), CHALK; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Rosin: Big Stick Light (20' radius), shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Bruard; 2 - Yosef & Derek; 3 - Till & Rosin
Consumables: Find Traps (Bruard) 5 mins, 10' path; Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Big Stick Light (Rosin) 65 mins; Lantern - out (Till) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

*gulp*

Till pulls out his silver dagger, in addition to his short sword...

"What do you think? Someone want to give me a boost up the pedestal? I can examine the sarcophagus, maybe try to glimpse at the tops of the pillars to see if there is something up on top of them?"

(Would need for Till to put his short sword away and have Rosin to give him the lighted stick to do that, I suspect. If so, then that's what he'll do, assuming everyone agrees with a further reconnoiter.)

(... I love that word: reconnoiter)

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by migellito »

"I think we should stand outside the pillars and throw something onto the sarcophagus."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

migellito wrote:"I think we should stand outside the pillars and throw something onto the sarcophagus."
As long as "something" ≠ Till, I'm good with that.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard's spell ends and he turns, exhausted, to his comrades.

It seems that the lid of the sarcophagus is the trigger of the trap, and that if it is moved or maybe even touched, the dais and columns may move or collapse upon us. This, thanks to the blessings of Shinare, I am sure of.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard's spell ends and he turns, exhausted, to his comrades.

It seems that the lid of the sarcophagus is the trigger of the trap, and that if it is moved or maybe even touched, the dais and columns may move or collapse upon us. This, thanks to the blessings of Shinare, I am sure of.
Yosef raises his eyebrows at the cleric's submissions. "I thank both you and Shinare for these incredible insights, friend Bruard. We must now think of a way to bypass or deactivate this trap, if possible. The traps we've discovered till now have been both devious and dangerous to be sure. I am thinking that this one will be as well..."

The elf will continue to hold station with a watchful eye to the party's perimeter while the others offer their ideas and think out a solution.

Alethan wrote:
migellito wrote:"I think we should stand outside the pillars and throw something onto the sarcophagus."
As long as "something" ≠ Till, I'm good with that.
:lol:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - finally The Crypt

Still chalking? I'll assume no :D . I'm going to do a little hand waving here, and just finish off your Find Traps spell. As always let me know if we need to rewind. Here's the map as best as I can put it together, I still am working with an incomplete module, so this is putting 3 other maps together and using Al's excellent map as well.

Using up the last five minutes you get some of the plateau, as best as you can, but you can confirm it's shape at this point.

crypt itself.JPG
crypt itself.JPG (29.93 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
You don't note any traps, though it was faster than Bruard would have liked. The whole place is smooth and unremarkable and unmarked.

Back to you all, again let me know if there is anything rewound you want to do. But as of this point, nothing is coming up trap except what Bruard previously noted. Urgh, I used the map with the circle, sorry there. Also the whole open air crypt area is probably a skootch :D more to the East than I have it.

[/b]HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 33/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 38/40
WIH: Till: Short Sword to wield, CHALK; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), CHALK; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Rosin: Big Stick Light (20' radius), shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Bruard; 2 - Yosef & Derek; 3 - Till & Rosin
Consumables: Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Big Stick Light (Rosin) 60 mins; Lantern - out (Till) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Excellent map, Mr. GM. tyvm. No rewind needed here; I assume anyone who wants to would speak up at this point. We'll discuss and continue!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by migellito »

"Right then!"

Jeloon looks for a few loose stones.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by rredmond »

migellito wrote:"Right then!"

Jeloon looks for a few loose stones.
Actually, nothing really bigger than some pebbles.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Ok, so here's the plan, then:

We'll light up the lantern again - should have plenty of time left on it.

Rosin will leave the Light Stick on the ground, just outside the circle of pillars, but set down so that it projects light into the circle and makes the sarcophagus visible (otherwise, Derek wouldn't be able to see it to hit it with an arrow).

Then we'll make our way back to the ledge at the top of the stairs.

Then Derek will shoot an arrow or two at the sarcophagus to see if touching it sets off any traps.

We'll see what happens then before deciding anything else.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

Actually now that you've been back and forth, the column is about 25' away, the dais about 35' and the sarcaphagus a little over 40'. But within range for a short bow.

Whenever Derek is ready, he can make his shot. Roll a d20 Vok.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

As Till is waiting for Derek to draw and nock his arrow, he realizes it doesn't matter what object hits the sarcophagus, as long as something hits it. That means he has just a good a chance, if not better, of hitting it with his sling.

He pulls his sling and a bullet from his belt pouch and fires away...

To Hit, Sling [1d20+6] = 15+6 = 21

Ummm... not sure if this matters...

Damage, Sling (Large) [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

(8' x 20'... I'm assuming that's "large")

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#36 Post by Vokarius »

Derek fires his bow.
[1d20] = 14

Not a great shot... but here is hoping!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by rredmond »

Both missiles hit the lid and skitter across it into the darkness. Then there is just quiet.
Nothing seems to happen.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by migellito »

"Yes!!" Jeloon then looks around, a bit embarrassed. "Well Till, I think you're on for examining yonder stone block. I agree though that when we try to actually open it, we should do it with rope and hook."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Argennian »

Yosef's previously nervous grimace turns to a prolific frown as the arrow and sling bullet both hit their mark but have no telling effect. He lets out a held breath, uncovers his ears, picks up the ogre spear and looks around to his companions in bafflement.

When Jeloon offers her supposition, Yosef shrugs and nods his head in agreement. "I agree with Jeloon's assessment in this, friends. Perhaps it will take Till's installing the grapnel hook on the stone lid and all of us attempting to pull it open? If we can do so from our present positions and something... really bad happens, we will not have our escape route cut off," the elf offers as he then looks over to his stout halfling partner. "What do you think, Till? How should we play this?" Yosef queries, an obvious look of concern to his visage but also an excited anticipation in his voice.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Till smiles and says, "Let's see what we can find out about this trap, shall we?"

He heads over to the Light Stick, picks it up, and asks someone to boost him up onto the pedestal so he can more closely examine the sarcophagus.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”