Action Thread 7

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 7

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - finally The Crypt

Remind me about the chalk in your next actions. I'm assuming they'll go away, but I'll await what you decide.

It only takes a few minutes, even with Derek's intent chalking to make it to the edge of this structure.

With but your 20' of light you can make out the following. There is a 35' tall (Rosin holding up the Big Stick Light so you can just make out the top) column in front of you. At the edge of your radii you can see that there's another column to the NE and another one to the S (just a skootch east). Using his twine as a makeshift abacus, Yosef figures, that at the distance and geometrical pattern of the columns, there could be about 7 in a circle around another structure in the middle. In the middle of the supposed ring of columns, there is a structure, only about 10' from this column, that looks to be a 30' diameter dais. The dais is raised about 10' above the plateau. The column and from what you can see of the dais are plain and unmarked. On the dais you can see what looks like a big, really big, sarcophagus in the center. Twanging away on his twine, Yosef feels that it is likely about 20' long, you can tell it's about 8' wide.

You are not close enough to have anything but the column in the spells AOE, but the column radiates something of a magical trap. Bruard can tell it isn't the trigger, but it's a part of it. To get a scan of the other columns or the dais, he'd have to move closer. Essentially I've stopped you next to this column, right before entering the elf's percieved circle. :)

I can hear everyone's brain whirring now. I'll wait for everyone to chime in. Obviously how long you deliberate isn't going to affect in game spell time. And you could easily scan a good portion, if not all of this area before the spell ended. Please be specific about your actions at this point, and ToniXX if you could note how you are 'scanning' the areas that you all go. Thanks.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 33/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 38/40
WIH: Till: Short Sword to wield, CHALK; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), CHALK; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Rosin: Big Stick Light (20' radius), shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Bruard; 2 - Yosef & Derek; 3 - Till & Rosin
Consumables: Find Traps (Bruard) 20mins, 10' path; Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Big Stick Light (Rosin) 80mins; Lantern - out (Till) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 7

#2 Post by Alethan »

Just to help visualize... is this something similar to what you're describing?
Attachments
Tomb.jpg
Tomb.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

A picture is what I need too! And if this is a good representation of what we're seeing, where are we?
Once I know more, I'll describe my scanning area. Any ideas from the party, please post in the strategy thread or here.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

DM throws his pen and paper scratchings away...

That is pretty much exactly what I am describing. With a big ole sarcophagus in the middle.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

My job is basically "converting", whether it is complex text into simple or an image into words... it's generally pretty easy for me to do the opposite, when the description is good enough!

(so it was a good description!)

(Oh, and sorry... forgot the sarcophagus.)

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by migellito »

"Let us first traipse all round it, so that Bruard can ken all these pillars from without."

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by Vokarius »

Derek continues his chalking.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

ToniXX wrote:A picture is what I need too! And if this is a good representation of what we're seeing, where are we?
Once I know more, I'll describe my scanning area. Any ideas from the party, please post in the strategy thread or here.
It mirrors the module map pretty well. You guys are standing right next to the one that is just below the uppermost left column.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
ToniXX wrote:A picture is what I need too! And if this is a good representation of what we're seeing, where are we?
It mirrors the module map pretty well. You guys are standing right next to the one that is just below the uppermost left column.
I think I even got the "just a skootch east" bit right. :) Can't believe I forgot the danged box, though...

Yeah, I can't let it go...
Attachments
Tomb.jpg
Tomb.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:...I think I even got the "just a skootch east" bit right. :)
Yup ya did!
Al wrote:Yeah, I can't let it go...
Surprised you did for this long! :D

We'll wait for all to weigh in and then move forward. Fun fun!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Till agrees with Jeloon, "let's quickly and cautiously go around the perimeter of the ring of columns and see if there is an area that isn't protected, you know, like a back door. If we can't find anything like that, then we can try to figure out what to do about it..."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Till agrees with Jeloon, "let's quickly and cautiously go around the perimeter of the ring of columns and see if there is an area that isn't protected, you know, like a back door. If we can't find anything like that, then we can try to figure out what to do about it..."
While keeping focus on his spell the best he can, Bruard nods in agreement with Jeloon and Till. He begins to move around the outer perimeter of the pillars.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till agrees with Jeloon, "let's quickly and cautiously go around the perimeter of the ring of columns and see if there is an area that isn't protected, you know, like a back door. If we can't find anything like that, then we can try to figure out what to do about it..."
Yosef nods his head in agreement as he puts his "portable-abacus" twine back into his belt pouch. Tis obvious that he's already pondering what it might take to circumvent the trap that Bruard's clerical magic has discovered, and just what it might be guarding within that uncomfortably-large sarcophagus. "Yes, a wise and prudent plan, Till. I am hopeful that we will find a workable solution."
ToniXX wrote:While keeping focus on his spell the best he can, Bruard nods in agreement with Jeloon and Till. He begins to move around the outer perimeter of the pillars.
Yosef follows Bruard and the others. He'll stay within the light that's being cast from the light staff and concentrate on the stone floor around the outer perimeter of the pillars. He's looking for secret or hidden trap doors or any kind of perceivable lines or markings.

OOC: Sorry for the late response here, gang. Ron - I just had to say how rad the twine abacus idea was! That's just the sort of "elfy" thing Yosef would do! :D
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

Think that's all of us (or most of/enough of us, anyway)...

*pleaselettherebeabackdoorpleaselettherebeabackdoorpleaselettherebeabackdoor*

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote:Think that's all of us (or most of/enough of us, anyway)...

*pleaselettherebeabackdoorpleaselettherebeabackdoorpleaselettherebeabackdoor*
I bet Till says that to all the girls..

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Not sure if I can post today, but the map is good except that circle doesn't exist. I assume it's only there as a guide, but there is only the columns and platform that the sarcophagus is on. Just wanted to clarify in case I confused anyone. Hope to post results of The Scan soon. ;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

(lol@Migellito)

Yes, the thin circle was just a guide for me to place the pillars on; sorry if that caused any confusion. I tried it without the guide and... it kind of looked like a circle of pillars, but looked more like the shot pattern from a 12 gauge.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Whew. Okay no problem. Just wanted to be clear before I moved forward.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

No worries! Here you go. Fixed.
Attachments
Tomb.jpg
Tomb.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Day 13 - finally The Crypt

Still chalking? I'll assume yes :) .

It only takes about 5 minutes or so, carefully scanning to walk around the perimeter. It's a bit more than 150'. As you walked you note that Yosef's calculations were dead on. There are seven columns. Also, all of these columns come up the same during Bruards concentrations - part of a magical trap. Not the trigger, but definitely a part of the trap.

Also, the light(s) you are traveling with show you all the same things. The columns are unmarked, and (as far as you can tell) the platform and sarcophagus in the middle are smooth and unmarked stone. And still dauntingly big, dark (but for your group) and quite quiet (but for Rosin's nervously loud breathing).

Sorry it took me so long guys. Work is continuing sucky - sucky enough to ruin a few days off I had in the beginning of the week. Hope to keep up better here.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 33/36; Yosef - 8/10; Bruard - 18/19; Derek - 38/40
WIH: Till: Short Sword to wield, CHALK; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), CHALK; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Rosin: Big Stick Light (20' radius), shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Bruard; 2 - Yosef & Derek; 3 - Till & Rosin
Consumables: Find Traps (Bruard) 15 mins, 10' path; Torch - out (Rosin) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Big Stick Light (Rosin) 75 mins; Lantern - out (Till) 3 hours, 30 minutes left, 30' radius.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”