Action Thread 6

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 6

#21 Post by Alethan »

Well, it's only 80' to the island; not sure if that would be necessary, as long as we can take a bearing off of the two fires and the lighted stick back on shore. May be best to try and not disturb as much as possible on the island until we can figure out if there is something there bearing us any animosity...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Argennian »

Yosef would prefer to forgo a rowing position on the raft so that he can remain watchful and ready with either a Magic Missile spell or the Wand of Fire if the group is attacked on the raft or when they land at the rock "island" and staircase.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:Yosef would prefer to forgo a rowing position on the raft so that he can remain watchful and ready with either a Magic Missile spell or the Wand of Fire if the group is attacked on the raft or when they land at the rock "island" and staircase.
Yosef is not in a rowing position. He is center-forward on the raft.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – What happens on the lake

Finishing the raft and setting out seems to take more time and effort than actually rowing across the water. The lake is as calm as it seems.
Though tense and aware, nothing seems to be moving in the waters, nothing (malicious or benign) pops up, or down, to greet you. Rowing is swift and as you get closer and land you see that it is a ledge that is right above water level. The ledge is 15' at the landing, but seems to narrow to 10' at the beginnings of stairs going up.

You have landed at the northernmost point of this island (?). Straight ahead is rock going almost straight up, when Ancor holds his torch up high, from the raft, you cannot see the top of the wall. You cannot go east, the ledge just drops off into the water, but the stair starts about 15' to the southwest.

You are still on the raft.
Actions?

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Light on the arrow (on twine): 80 minutes; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 75 minutes, Resist Cold (Till) 15 minutes left, Torch (Ancor) 40 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (out) (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

Carefully exit the raft, one at a time. We'll pull the raft up onto the landing.

Then it looks like a 2x marching order will be necessary... How about:

Jeloon Vok
Yosef Till
Ancor Bruard

Let's give Ancor the glowing arrow to use as a light; he can also have at the ready a vial or two of oil. Till will take the torch and also ready a vial of oil.

Then... anyone else want to indicate anything out of the ordinary they will do before we head up the stairs?

Or should Till go first and examine the stairs for traps as they climb them?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Argennian »

Yosef will disembark and take up a defensive position at the bottom of the stairs looking up, as the others secure the raft and make ready. He'll strain his eyes and ears into the darkness to see if he notices or senses anything lurking.

Once the party is prepared to move forward, the elf whispers to the others. "I am... concerned about more traps and such. Till, perhaps you should move forward first to check for those while we cover you, just to be safe? I will commit special attention in looking for any secret doors or hidden passageways as we go forward..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

Till nods and begins searching the steps for traps as he climbs them.

He'll keep an eye out for steps that look like they don't have any wear on them, compared to the others that might (like the step was avoided) in addition to the more obvious signs - unusual marks on a step or depressions in the walls on either side of a particular step, that sort of thing.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

Quick check as we wait for the others to chime in.

Everybody moves to the steps.

Are you moving second rank of MO (Yosef and Till) to first, or is Till out front with Yosef behind?
Alethan wrote:...
Jeloon Vok
Yosef Till
Ancor Bruard
Till still carries the torch?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

Till carries the torch, yes. Ancor has the "Arrow of light".

Don't know what Yosef is going to do...

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by migellito »

That marching order is fine with me :) I'll keep an eye out for movement.

(is the arrow still glowing? I thought it was a light, not a continual light.)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by Alethan »

This is Ron's latest Consumables update...
Consumables: Light on the arrow (on twine): 80 minutes; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 75 minutes, Resist Cold (Till) 15 minutes left, Torch (Ancor) 40 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (out) (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#32 Post by Vokarius »

Derek will shoot anything that moves.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote:This is Ron's latest Consumables update...
doh.. I totally forgot that was in his signature (which is an excellent idea, btw). It's been a day.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:...Are you moving second rank of MO (Yosef and Till) to first, or is Till out front with Yosef behind?
Alethan wrote:...
Jeloon Vok
Yosef Till
Ancor Bruard
OOC: The last time we did this, Till went forward by himself and Yosef stayed in his normal MO position. IIRC, it was stated that if trouble presented itself that Till would fall back between the 2 PCs in the front rank.

Since Yosef cannot look for traps, per se, and can only search for secret/concealed doors and such, he can do so from either the front rank or the 2nd rank. Since he has a spear and spells that could be utilized from the 2nd rank, he could remain there. That being said, the elf has no issue moving forward with Till, if that's what's needed.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: OOC: The last time we did this, Till went forward by himself and Yosef stayed in his normal MO position. IIRC, it was stated that if trouble presented itself that Till would fall back between the 2 PCs in the front rank.

Since Yosef cannot look for traps, per se, and can only search for secret/concealed doors and such, he can do so from either the front rank or the 2nd rank. Since he has a spear and spells that could be utilized from the 2nd rank, he could remain there. That being said, the elf has no issue moving forward with Till, if that's what's needed.
Nope, that sounds like a good plan, Argennian. I just didn't want to speak for you in case you wanted to do something differently.

In that case, let's go with Till up front by a few paces, searching for traps, with Yosef remaining behind Jeloon and Vok, searching for secret passages or doors as he moves along.

I totally forgot Yosef should be able to attack from the second rank now that he has a spear! Good point, Arg! (Feel like a pirate about now... ARGGGHHH)

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by migellito »

On up the steps then, same way :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – The Stone Stair

Quickly and orderly disembarking the raft you see that though there is some moisture, pretty much everywhere, the worked rock is rough enough to absorb it and/or allow traction without being slippery. You move to the bottom of the stair, it winds around the edge of this wall of rock. You can see, holding the torch high, that it looks as if the wall goes pretty well straight up but looks to end a little over 30' up. You can't tell if it plateaus or if it's a wall surrounding something.

The stair crops out from the wall, but to your right there is no wall but a drop into the water. They are about 10' wide, a little less or a little more in some areas, but average about 10' in width. It's longer than your torch can enable you to see, but if you were to guess it's maybe 55 to 60 feet long if it goes normally until it hits the top.

Till holds the torch high and checks for traps in the first 10' section of stair. He finds it to be safe to climb and motions everyone upward.

It'll be about 10 mins of checking for traps per 10' of stairway. Till can hold the torch, but needs the extra hand to do the checking. But I know you noted the silver dagger and oil at hand. I've added a Weapons in Hand row on the bottom there, to keep everyone up to date. I've added that Jeloon's sword glows as will Derek's once drawn. Figuring, as you go up, you are all about 5' behind each other, so Till's torch well covers all the ranks in the MO kind of covering over the light of sword and arrow.

I'm waiting for one PM (nothing major ;) ) to be answered, and figure you can take this time to make any adjustments as we move forward.

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
WIH: Till: Torch; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Short bow; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Ancor: Arrow of Light, shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Yosef; 4 - Ancor & Bruard
Consumables: Arrow of Light (Ancor): 70 minutes, 20' radius; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 65 minutes, Resist Cold (Till) 5 minutes left, Torch (Till) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (out) (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

Well, Till had the silver dagger when he was swimming, but I'd assumed since we'd crossed on the raft that he was back in his normal armour and such. Sorry, I probably didn't indicate that.

Seems like a pain to hold the torch and try searching for traps and such... mostly, I just want a flame kept lit in case we need to throw oil and torch at something.

So how about this...

Till hands the torch back to Ancor. Ancor uses the torch to light the lantern and then extinguishes the torch. So we have a source of flame from the lantern. And Ancor can relight the torch, should we need to throw it at something.

Till will then have Ancor pass the arrow with the light spell cast on it up to him (the twine should be removed at this point, with Till having his 100' back and Yosef having his 100' back). He'll attach it to his belt with a small bit of twine, so that he can have a free hand to check for traps and still hold the dagger (though, in truth, he'll scurry behind Jeloon and Vok should he spot any trouble, so the dagger might not be necessary.).

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by migellito »

Jeloon tries to avoid looking directly at the light sources, rather trying to keep an eye out up ahead for any movement.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:Well, Till had the silver dagger when he was swimming, but I'd assumed since we'd crossed on the raft that he was back in his normal armour and such. Sorry, I probably didn't indicate that.

OOC: I assumed this, no worries.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”