#61 Post by Vokarius »

[1d20] = 5

Probably missed.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 6

#62 Post by Argennian »

Yosef breathes a silent yet fleeting sigh of relief as the wooden construct that he and Till were battling falls apart and away. He immediately thinks to come to Ancor and Bruard's aid as his next possible move, hoping that both Jeloon and Derek's battle prowess will help them hold their ground.

Just as Yosef prepares to turn and use the ogre spear, he sees Till deliver a mighty blow to the creature facing Ancor. He decides in an instant to use one of his memorized Magic Missile spells against the wooden enemy engaged with Bruard, lest he miss and accidentally stab his companion:

Magic Missile damage vs wooden construct facing Bruard:
[2d4+2] = 7+2 = 9

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=2467

OOC: Hot Damn! About time I got a decent damage roll with that spell. Btw, NICE rolls, Alethan! ;)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#63 Post by ToniXX »

Good rolls, guys!

Depending on what happens, and if it is possible, Bruard, on the next round, will attempt to heal Ancor (I assume he's in pretty bad shape).
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Think we're all done with rolls for round two... except, of course, for the stick-things, who get a second attack.

Right?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – End of Round 2 with the Creatures o' Wood

This time the attacks of the woody creatures are more effective. Though Jeloon and Derek are able to fend off their attackers, Bruard winces at seeing Ancor crumple, bleeding, next to him under a wooden limb - less than a second later Bruard takes a glancing blow (for 1 hp).

Creatures initiative is: Initiative [1d6] = 6 ah, simultaneous action for the 2 attack folks. This leads us to:

Day 12 – Start of Round 3 with the Creatures o' Wood

The front line fighters and wood creatures all seem to strike out as if in unison. As the creature attacking Ancor now turns his attention to Bruard the other three lash out quite ineffectively, missing all they face. Jeloon unable to capitalize, misses as well. Need a To Hit, and possibly Damage, from Derek.

The others seem to make the best of the round though. As Bruard deals a decent blow to the creature in front of him he is disheartened to see it continue to attack until, in blinding flashes that surround the creature, it crumbles to sticks. Bruard now faces Yosef, who's fingertips are faintly smoking.

Next to them, the creature who previously faced Ancor disintegrates suddenly into sticks and splinters. Till, short sword thrust through where the creature's back once was, spits petrified wood splinters out of his mouth as the Bruard and Yosef allow themselves a momentary smile of awe at the halfling.

I'll need Derek's to hit and damage roll for the beginning of this round. Since that will matter with regards to the creatures attacks, I'll hold off on the creatures' second attack. Then Derek and Jeloon can have their second attacks along with the creature, or creatures, depending.

Round 4 will be a single attack round for Derek and Jeloon, so initiative will not matter. The tough part is, unless you are casting a spell, or using a spear, Derek and Jeloon are quite on their own in this battle. I say to them, as I said to Alethan last round, make it count! :) Consumables and hit points have been updated; Ancor is a bloody mess but seems to still be breathing.

HPs: Jeloon - 23/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 7/10; Bruard - 17/19; Derek - 37/40
WIH: Till: Short Sword to wield, Silver Dagger to hold; Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius), shield; Yosef: Ogre Spear; Ancor: Lantern, shield; Bruard: Mace, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Yosef; 4 - Ancor & Bruard
Consumables: Arrow of Light (Till at hip): 17 minutes, 20' radius; Light on a Stick (back at base camp) 42 minutes, Torch - out (Ancor) 30 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (Till) 3 hours, 37 minutes left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#66 Post by migellito »

Jeloon missed in round 2, but I haven't rolled for her in round 3 yet..

First Attack:[1d20] = 11+2 = AC 3
Damage [1d8] = 7+3 = 10 points

Second Attack:[1d20] = 12+2 = AC 2
Damage [1d8] = 6+3 = 9 points

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

Son of a gun... you are correct. With these round of scores, Jeloon's creature goes down as well! Missing flailing as it hits the ground in a tumble of sticks!

Now we wait upon Derek and see if he's luck is as good! :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Argennian »

"No! Bruard, Ancor needs help!" cries Yosef, as he quickly moves to their fallen hireling's side while beckoning the cleric to assist. Yosef will do whatever he can to help their fallen man, and help to assist Bruard with any minstrations, trusting that his companion warriors will defeat their foes.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#69 Post by Vokarius »

Derek strikes for round three:
13 + 2 = 15
[1d20] = 13
and
2 + 2 = 4
[1d20] = 2

The first one damage roll is 9
[1d8+4] = 5+4 = 9

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#70 Post by ToniXX »

On the next round, Bruard will go to Ancor's side. He will hold the hireling, place his right hand over his forehead, and say a small prayer to Shinare.

Cure light wounds: [1d8] = 6

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by rredmond »

Hmmm, Derek dispatches his woody creature into a pile of sticks. Okay then...

At this point, Ancor has recieved his blessings from Shinare and seems much better off than Eyman was. But he can stand (though can't do anything with his sword, and can't hold his shield) he could probably hold the lantern, though it wouldn't be very high. He seems to be moving slower than normal, reaction time definitely less, but he's otherwise functional.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#72 Post by Alethan »

"Wow," Till mutters, wiping sweat from his brow, "what were those things? Ancor, how are you doing?" Till goes to his side to check on him. "Sorry I didn't catch that trap. The people who designed this were definitely very crafty..."

OOC: Does Bruard still have his Find Traps spell available? If so, then maybe now would be a good time to use it. It lasts for 3 turns.

If not, then... maybe we should consider taking Ancor back to the surface and resting for the night, then try again in the morning a little more prepared (and with Rosin taking Ancor's place)? Then once we get to this spot again, Bruard can cast Find Traps and take lead with Till (to disarm if possible?) if just for the three turns...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:"Wow," Till mutters, wiping sweat from his brow, "what were those things? Ancor, how are you doing?" Till goes to his side to check on him. "Sorry I didn't catch that trap. The people who designed this were definitely very crafty..."
Yosef nods his agreement as he helps Bruard get Ancor to his feet. "The trap was well hidden, as were those secret doors, Till. I never noticed them until it was too late. For that, I am sorry. First the trap in the entrance hall, then the icy water that goes deeper than can be calculated, which I nearly became acquainted with, and now this? Crafty and devious, to be sure," offers the elf as he moves back over to inspect the areas where the wooden constructs emerged. "I am hopeful there are not more of those... things about," he opines as he looks about the area for any items or clues.

OOC: I'm in agreement that we fall back again to replentish spells and see about Ancor's condition and if we might need to use Rosin in his place. Seems the logical and safer course, since we have the option. Granted that our melee didn't attract anything else's attention, I vote we check the immediate area where the constructs emerged and then fall back to camp again.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

Till nods in agreement and does a search of the alcoves, as well. In addition to checking the rooms for anything that might stand out as being unusual, he is specifically trying to see how long the creatures may have been in hiding in the rooms - is there a lot of dust on the floor around footprints where the stick things might have stood? Or is it relatively clean? I suppose the floors could be clean just because they were in sealed rooms and there was no movement of air...

What do Bruard, Jeloon, and Derek think about heading back and regrouping?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#75 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard agrees that regrouping would be a good idea. 'How far back are you suggesting we retreat? Back across the water? I will pray on a find traps spell in the morning.'

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by migellito »

With obvious reluctance, Jeloon agrees "regrouping would surely be the wisest choice."

"I think we should look on this side for a place or a way to secure a rope, then draw the rope with us as we go back across the water. Then we can secure the other end on the entrance side, and then use the rope to pull our raft back and forth across the lake."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by Alethan »

"Excellent idea, Jeloon!"

It looks like we have a majority at this point, so let's make that our plan of action.

We'll need two ropes to do what Jeloon suggested, as the span was something like 80'. Do we have it? I think Till still has his silk rope. We used two hemp ropes to get down off the ledge on the other side of the lake...

(checking inventory)

Looks like Derek has 50' of silk rope, as well! So that should be enough. Of course, that's about all the rope we have, unless there was some with the dwarves gear that I don't recall right now.

Anyway... we'll tie off one end of the now-100-feet-of-silk-rope on the island side then tie off the other end when we get to the shore.

We'll probably have to have the fighters go up the rope first and then haul Ancor up as he can't climb it himself anymore. Then we'll bring him down to the main camp to rest up and check on them.

If Bruard has any more cure spells for the day, he should use them before the end of the night on whoever is worse off.

When we are getting ready for the next day, ToniXX should indicate what spells he is going to prepare. I think Find Traps would be useful...

And then when we head back up, we'll have to take Rosin with us instead of Ancor.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#78 Post by migellito »

When we get back to the main camp, Jeloon first goes to discover the state of our dwarven captive.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by rredmond »

The rooms for the wood creatures are just enough room for three creatures each, not an inch to spare. It looks like they were crammed in there for quite a while and the rooms were not air tight. There's some mold, and the wood is somewhat petrified you see now, the outside being somewhat tougher than perhaps normally. The petrifed wood doesn't even burn much.

Ancor is tired, shakey, sweating, but mobile, especially when relieved of lantern, sword, shield and any other heavy items. He needs some help climbing and etc.

You can tie off the rope just as you wanted. You can get back across, and down to camp without issue. It's still cool and dark in this cavern and nothing seems to move on or in the water. The wedged trap seems strong. Van is intently watching the dwarf as he has Eyman scanning the horizon when you come back. Rosin is taking care of the DAMs. Van indicates there's been no change in the dwarf, he is sleeping quietly in the same spot you left him.

Any spells cast tonight? Tomorrow changes in spells?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

"Looks like the stick animations were in there for quite some time... Makes me wonder if this is the right wizard's tomb. How long has it been since Rogahn and Zelligar disappeared, again?" Till asks when they're discussing plans back at the main camp.

Not that it makes any difference to Till, mind you... It appears to him that the tomb might still contain treasure if the traps have not been triggered... or if the stick animations were able to go back into their room after resetting the trap (i.e. nothing got past them). And Till is interested in seeing what treasures might remain...

If Bruard has any healing spells left, I'd recommend he use them. Here is the current HP standing...
HPs: Jeloon - 23/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 7/10; Bruard - 17/19; Derek - 37/40
Looks like Bruard could take his pick... Depending on how many spells he has left, Jeloon is one of our front line fighters and down the most from his max and Yosef has the least possible and needs all he can get, so those would seem to be the better choices.

Till is doing ok, though, at the moment.

I don't think we need the resist cold spells anymore... maybe not even the light spells... would probably be better to stock up on healing spells and maybe the protection from evil wouldn't be bad to keep, too.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”