CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

#1 Post by Gelatinous Q »

3 Patchwall, 576 CY
Village of Tassin's Wood, dawn

You wake in the cold pre-dawn glimmer and pack your gear downstairs to the stables, where Matthelemew sleepily emerges from the loft to help you with your mounts. After a time, Kreagold himself appears, wrapped in a blanket, lantern in hand.

"It was wise of you to bed down when you did," the innkeeper grumbles, "though I might've used your skill at arms to break up the fight between those soldiers and that Paleish knight you were talkin' to. Accusing a Knight Militant of nicking your purse — imagine the stones! Those soldiers would've deserved the whipping they would've gotten, but for Brother Grainger interceding. Speaking of whom" — he gently grabs Savik by the elbow — "he asked that I relay this to you, master elf." He presses a piece of parchment into your hand, rolled and sealed with a disc of black wax. "Good day to you sirs, and good luck. I pray the day's not far off that you favor The Scarlet Moon again."

Outside, just the thinnest sliver of Luna hangs low in the sky. It's cold — a heavy frost last night.

You make your way to the Temple. Outside the gates stands a cleric in russet robes, short and squat, impossibly pale with a shock of white hair tied in a topknot. Beside him is a pack mule. He throws up a hand in a halting gesture as you approach.

"You travel to Charrellsfane's tomb?" he asks in a voice bearing the unmistakeable accent of the Suel north. "I am Stregghi. I shall be your guide. You understand the strictures I must obey in the Tomb, do you not?"

OOC: Let me know where Stregghi will be positioned within your riding order. Also, who's got the map?
Failure is always an option.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

#2 Post by Argennian »

Gelatinous Q wrote:...You wake in the cold pre-dawn glimmer and pack your gear downstairs to the stables, where Matthelemew sleepily emerges from the loft to help you with your mounts. After a time, Kreagold himself appears, wrapped in a blanket, lantern in hand.

"It was wise of you to bed down when you did," the innkeeper grumbles, "though I might've used your skill at arms to break up the fight between those soldiers and that Paleish knight you were talkin' to. Accusing a Knight Militant of nicking your purse — imagine the stones! Those soldiers would've deserved the whipping they would've gotten, but for Brother Grainger interceding. Speaking of whom" — he gently grabs Savik by the elbow — "he asked that I relay this to you, master elf." He presses a piece of parchment into your hand, rolled and sealed with a disc of black wax. "Good day to you sirs, and good luck. I pray the day's not far off that you favor The Scarlet Moon again."...
Savik turns and takes the parchment from Kreagold with a curious nod of thanks. "I surely hope our good friend the knight was not injured, at least physically? Praytell, what became of the soldiers? I also cannot help but wonder if our kindly and wonderful benefactor of last night, Master Saru, ever returned here? If not, might you, or young Matty here," the elf looks down at the stableboy, applying his warmest smile with a raised eyebrows, "perhaps know his whereabouts?"

The elf will reach into his coin purse and jingle it a bit, giving the impression that he's certainly willing to pay for any information offered...
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Nuke66 »

"Master Kregold. I assume your help was able to handle it, though, I wonder what was to happen to precipitate an altercation. A discussion over a purse surly would not result in bloodshed."

As Gordon makes his way to his mount, He readies his gear, making sure the map and scroll are about his person.

As they join Stregghi, Gordon halts, acknowledging his speech.

"Good priest, let us not discuss this here, but make haste out of town, we will have plenty of time to talk on the road."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote: You wake in the cold pre-dawn glimmer and pack your gear downstairs to the stables, where Matthelemew sleepily emerges from the loft to help you with your mounts. After a time, Kreagold himself appears, wrapped in a blanket, lantern in hand. "It was wise of you to bed down when you did," the innkeeper grumbles, "though I might've used your skill at arms to break up the fight between those soldiers and that Paleish knight you were talkin' to. Accusing a Knight Militant of nicking your purse — imagine the stones! Those soldiers would've deserved the whipping they would've gotten, but for Brother Grainger interceding. Speaking of whom" — he gently grabs Savik by the elbow — "he asked that I relay this to you, master elf." He presses a piece of parchment into your hand, rolled and sealed with a disc of black wax. "Good day to you sirs, and good luck. I pray the day's not far off that you favor The Scarlet Moon again."
Many thanks good gentlemen for your hospitality and service. Finer lodgings I cannot recall. Iomhar hands Matthelemew a couple silver pieces. I hope my mount was no trouble for you. It looks well rested for our journey.

He looks back at Kreagold. You have a wonderful family good man. This'n seems every bit as responsible and loyal as one could ask in a son. And your daughters, too. They represent you well.

He then gives a worried look I hope the one, Iano I believe, had nothing happen to cause her harm. She confided in us that she was afraid that this Grainger himself was being unpleasantly forward with her last eve. He then smiles, Nay, I am sure she could easily handle herself against any inproprieties from such a weak-hearted charlatan, which is why I didnt mention it before.

He looks suspiciously at the piece of parchment as he mounts and prepares for the ride.
Gelatinous Q wrote: "You travel to Charrellsfane's tomb?" he asks in a voice bearing the unmistakeable accent of the Suel north. "I am Stregghi. I shall be your guide. You understand the strictures I must obey in the Tomb, do you not?"
Good morn. I agree we should lose not a moment in our exit of town. Name's Iomhar...

I don't know the order, but assume something like this based on previous one:
Guide
Gordon & Bran/Ulf
Glogs & Iomhar
Savik — rear guard

deducting two sp
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Nuke66 »

"Welcome to our group Stregghi. We were not told of your strictures. What may they be?

Gordon rides with the group a while, through the outskirts of town.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Some loose ends at the tavern...
Argennian wrote:"I surely hope our good friend the knight was not injured, at least physically? Praytell, what became of the soldiers? I also cannot help but wonder if our kindly and wonderful benefactor of last night, Master Saru, ever returned here? If not, might you, or young Matty here," the elf looks down at the stableboy, applying his warmest smile with a raised eyebrows, "perhaps know his whereabouts?"

The elf will reach into his coin purse and jingle it a bit, giving the impression that he's certainly willing to pay for any information offered...
"Nay, the only injury was to his honor, grievous though it was. The soldiers were dense and emboldened with drink — and they left an hour ago for Optwall in the company of High Priest Thay.

"Why, Master Saru departed after he finished speaking with you, took his warhorse and lit out. Didn't even come back for his fish. Said he had learned that an old friend was in Tassin's Wood and he'd be taking his entertainment elsewhere."

Nuke66 wrote:"Master Kregold. I assume your help was able to handle it, though, I wonder what was to happen to precipitate an altercation. A discussion over a purse surly would not result in bloodshed."
"It was no mere discussion — it was a blackhearted libel! The knight was well within his rights to throttle them — and would've if it hadn't been for Grainger's wise and peaceable counsel."
onlyme wrote:He then gives a worried look I hope the one, Iano I believe, had nothing happen to cause her harm. She confided in us that she was afraid that this Grainger himself was being unpleasantly forward with her last eve. He then smiles, Nay, I am sure she could easily handle herself against any inproprieties from such a weak-hearted charlatan, which is why I didnt mention it before.
"That's a funny thing, sir," Kreagold remarks with a cocked eyebrow, "for the girl confided in me that you had made an immodest proposal during the course of the evening, which she had the sense to spurn. Jealousy is a base coin, lad, if you don't mind me sayin'. Nay, Grainger is a gentleman and a scholar in my books — Iano could do far worse."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...and at the temple
Nuke66 wrote:"Good priest, let us not discuss this here, but make haste out of town, we will have plenty of time to talk on the road."
The cleric nods, grabs his mule's halter and falls in. You follow the road north out of the village and within minutes it leads into the stretch of the Timberway the locals call the Grimleaf. It's an old forest, of spruce and alder and rowan, with dense thickets of undergrowth to either side of the road. It is dark and noticeably cooler under its canopy.

Once you are in the forest, the cleric remarks, "As a custodian of Charrellsfane's tomb, I am forbidden from acts of violence in or around it. Surely High Priest Thay made mention of this."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Argennian »

Gelatinous Q wrote:
Argennian wrote:"I surely hope our good friend the knight was not injured, at least physically? Praytell, what became of the soldiers? I also cannot help but wonder if our kindly and wonderful benefactor of last night, Master Saru, ever returned here? If not, might you, or young Matty here," the elf looks down at the stableboy, applying his warmest smile with a raised eyebrows, "perhaps know his whereabouts?"

"Nay, the only injury was to his honor, grievous though it was. The soldiers were dense and emboldened with drink — and they left an hour ago for Optwall in the company of High Priest Thay.

"Why, Master Saru departed after he finished speaking with you, took his warhorse and lit out. Didn't even come back for his fish. Said he had learned that an old friend was in Tassin's Wood and he'd be taking his entertainment elsewhere."
Savik nods knowingly and places 2 silver in Kreagold's hand. "On behalf of my companions, I thank you for the high standard of service you maintain here, Master Kreagold. I indeed hope to visit again soon..."

Savik offers the innkeep a respectful nod and then turns to the young stableboy, leaning down a tad to meet his eye. He places a single silver piece in the boy's hand. "And this is for your steadfast care of our mounts, Matty. Continue to make your father proud, young man," the elf offers with a hand to the boy's shoulder and a telling wink.

As soon as Savik mounts up, he'll make sure that both his bow and the scroll tube are handily ready from the saddle. The elf will then unroll the parchment from Grainger and look it over carefully...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After they pick up their guide at the temple and begin to make their way out of town, the elf, while riding in rearguard, will as casually and covertly as possible, begin seriously scrutinizing the surroundings to see if he notices anyone paying attention to the party. Especially anyone they might have noticed from the tavern.

OOC: deducting 3 silver from coin
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#8 Post by emirikol57 »

As the party travels, Ulf scans the road ahead for any potential danger.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

emirikol57 wrote:As the party travels, Ulf scans the road ahead for any potential danger.
As does Glogs.
onlyme wrote:... I don't know the order, but assume something like this based on previous one:
Guide
Gordon & Bran/Ulf
Glogs & Iomhar
Savik — rear guard
Why is Glogs in the middle? With his Strength and HPs didn't make sense. Obviously he will complain about ruffling his shirt, but still... :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by onlyme »

rredmond wrote:
emirikol57 wrote:As the party travels, Ulf scans the road ahead for any potential danger.
As does Glogs.
onlyme wrote:... I don't know the order, but assume something like this based on previous one:
Guide
Gordon & Bran/Ulf
Glogs & Iomhar
Savik — rear guard
Why is Glogs in the middle? With his Strength and HPs didn't make sense. Obviously he will complain about ruffling his shirt, but still... :D

I think it was based on one being a ranger and the other wanting to scout. Plus, you can protect us worthless ones better...

Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

;) gotcha!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

*hrumph*

Bran isn't completely worthless... He just can't ride a horse, is all! :)

Once you are in the forest, the cleric remarks, "As a custodian of Charrellsfane's tomb, I am forbidden from acts of violence in or around it. Surely High Priest Thay made mention of this."
"Aye, that may be something we forgot to mention to the others, but it matters not, good priest. Surely that doesn't prevent you from providing healing aid should it be necessary, does it?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Stregghi nods. "Aye, I may at that. I hope 'tis not necessary."

You continue in relative quiet. The path parallels the brook, Taliskers Run, that runs through Tassins Wood; it broadens and deepens somewhat within the forest, and is still swollen from the recent rains, overspilling its banks and making a mire of the path in several places.

After about an hour and a half of riding, Stregghi brings your group to a halt, silently indicating a narrow, stony footpath veering to the left. The terrain almost immediately becomes hillier, and the going is slow.

Travel rate is reduced by 25%.

OOC: Gordon, since you're point man (and a ranger), go ahead and give me a surprise roll. :o

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Nuke66 »

Gordon is keenly aware of all his suroundings, even down to the meadow lark singing for a mate on the far side of the field. He spots a marmot digging a new den up the path a ways.

OCC = rolled a 6 , roll ID 2332

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar is keenly aware that he hates the forest. How is Procan going to protect him from harm with all these trees in the way? He thinks about shooting an annoying bird on the other side of the clearing with an arrow.

For now, he just watches out for anything that seems out of place (besides himself) or dangerous.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Nuke66 wrote:Gordon is keenly aware of all his suroundings, even down to the meadow lark singing for a mate on the far side of the field. He spots a marmot digging a new den up the path a ways.

OCC = rolled a 6 , roll ID 2332
That's good, because around mid-morning you spot a band of 6 orcs working their way up a ravine to the south, on foot, armed with hand axes and crossbows. The largest of the group appears to be armed with a bastard sword. They've seen you, too. They're about 150 yards distant.

Note: Trees here effectively provide 25% concealment, so everyone (orcs included) gets a +2 AC bonus against missile attacks.

OOC: Everyone, state your actions here for the round — please try to post before 5 p.m. EST if possible. Starting with 1st round initiative, combat resolution will be worked out in the COMBAT thread. Thanks.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar quickly dismounts, ties up his mount to the nearest tree, and positions himself behind a suitable tree. He readies his bow and arrow to wait for the orcs to get within 100 feet.

I assume they are below us, since you mention they are going up the ravine? Are they on a path or just moving up through the woods?

team: strategy suggestions?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I think we need to close the distance here, in order for everyone to be effective in the party. My only ranged weapon isn't good beyond a few yards...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Gelatinous Q »

onlyme wrote: I assume they are below us, since you mention they are going up the ravine? Are they on a path or just moving up through the woods?

They're at the base of a ravine running roughly parallel to the footpath. It's not particularly deep — you have @ 30' of altitude on them.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Nuke66 »

Gordon dismounts as well, making sure his horse is out of danger. He also picks out some cover and readies his bow.

"Hold until they are close, do not let them know we have arrows too soon. We want to keep advantage."

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”