Chapter 3 - Against the Slavers

AleBelly
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3 - Against the Slavers

#481 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore remains silent through the remainder of the exchange. She looks pensive and uncomfortable as she broods on her thoughts, particularly as the Sambord speaks of 'gleaning' his fellow humans and of execution being 'best' for those who don't choose their 'good' ways.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#482 Post by AleBelly »

It's already afternoon, so please wrap up anything your character wants to do. Sounds like you all are headed back to Alleborg. I'll need to know if you're retracing steps along the road or heading back some other way. I'll have the group leave tomorrow morning unless I hear otherwise. No rations need to be deducted. There are only a couple injured party members, so I'll assume the clerics used their healing and everyone is back at full strength.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#483 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore has now ceded her charges and is willing to continue on adventures if others wish (besides, still short of XP.)

Important for Yenny, the clearing we've noted between the merpeople lakes has one of those wells if that is an objective?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by Zorroroaster »

Wavering unsteadily on his feet, Arnulf shuffles over towards the others and hands the box and book back to Chet.

"It's a spell book of some kind, although I wasn't able to read the contents quick enough. There are three spells intact even though it's been badly damaged. This however, is evil incarnate!" He waggles a chubby finger at the silver box. "Ok, maybe not evil incarnate, but worse than my dad's mood during tax season. Both the box and book belonged to someone named Sigyllus, and the box has script on the outside containing a warning."

Arnulf beings to sway back and forth as his eyes roll back in his head and his voice takes on a hollow, ghostly tone. "The kisssssss of deeaaathhhh awaits those who open Sigyllus' box of silver...silver...silver...silver...." His voice trails off to a whisper. He cracks an eyelid to see if anyone is even watching. "I dunno. I don't dare open the box, but when we get back to Alleborg I would be happy to take the spell book to my magus and see if he either knows this Sigyllus or if he can decipher the writing. I can probably give it another try tomorrow morning as well, see if I can get further into the book before my eyes start watering too much."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by tkrexx »

Looking about, Hyde seems interested in seeing other Half-Orcs among the Sambords.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#486 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore replies politely to Arnulf. "When it is of use, I can sense the unnatural... what you'd call magic. It seems a given regarding your silver box, but if this is needed I can meditate upon it to achieve the sight."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#487 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny - "perhaps we'd be better off looking at box in Alleberg, with somebody more experienced available to guide the process and help if anything goes awry. I do not know that we are rushed. Although it is a curious little thing....

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien, who seems to have grown a bit calmer and even amused about something during the exchange with Jobim, becomes cross again quickly as discussion begins about the silver box and the mer-people. "I have urgent business to attend to in Alleborg," she motions to Eduard's things. "And I have absolutely no interest in dry wells, even less in mind-controlling waterbags. I will be returning to Alleborg along the most direct route; anyone who is interested in accompanying me is welcome to do so."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by AleBelly »

The wind dies down as the sun sets. Yenny chats with one of the guards who disappears and returns later with a civilian carrying three buckets full of food. They don't smell very good, but after some incantations performed by the gnome, the civilian smiles and leaves. The foul odor is gone.

Hyde is able to meet with a couple half-orcs. One, attired as a guard, looks menacingly at the party but otherwise ignores them. Another, clearly a town laborer, chats with Hyde in orcish. Hyde is satisfied that the half-orcs are treated fairly in the settlement, even if they do face some prejudice.

Hellebore offers to take a look at the box in the future to divine some additional properties. Ilfrien grows impatient and expresses a desire to head back to Alleborg as quickly as possible. Hellebore appears to want to adventure further.

I'll be AFK from late afternoon today until late Sunday. Please let me know by then if your PC plans to accompany Ilfrien. Based on dialog so far, I have:

Back to Alleborg

Ilfrien
Jaspar
Chet
Korok
Arnulf
Hyde

Further adventures

Hellebore
Yenny
Last edited by AleBelly on Mon May 11, 2015 4:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#490 Post by Zorroroaster »

Sidling up to Ilfrien, Arnulf says quietly and more than a bit tentatively, "Am I still Chet?" Before she can speak, he winces preemtively.

Arnulf is heading to Alleborg.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#491 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien's brow furrows. "Why would you not be Chet? That's your name."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#492 Post by enn.in.me »

I don't think Yenny has any pressing need to return to town, and would certainly accompany Hellebore if the adventure looks like fun (sorry - I apparently missed Marullus' post of 5/7 8:14 pm). And yes - Yenny is interested in the wells, and would certainly welcome having somebody come with her. And has a nice Silence spell that should be adequate protection from the merpeople's charm.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf looks confused. "I just don't know what my magus will say when I show up. He's used to calling me Arnulf. Well, mostly he calls me "The Banal," but occasionally he will use my real name." At some point during the conversation Arnulf has inserted a finger in his nostril and is busy digging around while he talks to Ilfrien. His eye bulges out intermittently from the pressure his exploration is exerting on his sinuses. "Have you met him? My magus, Aphoz? He's a truly wonderful teacher. Very, very patient with me. A wonderful, wonderful man." Arnulf sighs, and wanders off. At some point he notices something on his finger and wipes it off on Jaspar's tunic when he's not looking.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Korok, seeing that most of the group seem to be pack up, shoulders his pack and large two handed sword and walks over towards Ilfrien. Standing directly beside her and quite literally towering over her he gives her a short nod of agreement, ready to leave.

Korok will head back to alleborg
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#495 Post by CAI4 »

"I want to see what's in that box" announces Chet. "I'm heading back to Alleborg."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#496 Post by AleBelly »

7 Glowinghearth

The night passes uneventfully. A full moon pokes its face through the clouds as the wind dies down. Well rested, the party wakes before dawn and gathers their gear just as first light appears. Most plan to head back to Alleborg, but Yenny and Hellebore contemplate further adventure.

Those Alleborg-bound will have Ilfrien as caller. She has expressed a desire to head back by the most direct route...just need a direction.

Yenny and Hellebore, I'll set up a private forum for the two of you.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#497 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde ambles back to the party, seemingly troubled. Still, he smiles and has a seat. I been talking to them Sambord Half-Orcs, yeahh. They belong here, they believe in what they're doing. Either that or they're being paid real good, and that be unlikely I think. His eyes find the Druid. Hellebore, Half-Orcs don't stay nowhere if they be mistreated too much. I don't think these Sambords would mistreat them palefaces, either, no. I don't ever think splitting the party is a good plan, but anybody staying would be safe here, I think. Might be a good idea, if someone stays, be like maybe an envoy, hah? To assure that the Druids, us from Alleborg and them Sambords all agree that the bad guys are them Orcs. The way back to Alleborg is still dangerous, and them going back will need as much protection as they can get, so if it's all the same to you and Yenny, I'll be taking out with them.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#498 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien quite unashamedly paid almost no attention to the path they took to get where they are now. "Who's going back to Alleborg and knows the fastest way?" she inquires.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#499 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore turns to Yenny. "Hyde speaks the truth, I'd say... The two of us are resourceful, but too few. Let us return, pay respects to the family of Eduard, and lay the plan for our next foray. South to the well, then deeper along the river after, perhaps."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#500 Post by Zorroroaster »

At the mention of Eduard's name, Arnulf looks up. "I think I mentioned knowing where Eduard's adoptive parents live, yes? I can show you the way, if that's ok. Also, our magus Aphoz will want to hear the news as soon as we are back. No doubt he will be greatly dismayed by Eduard's demise.". He hangs his head and lets out a big sigh.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”