Chapter 0: The Gathering

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 0: The Gathering

#61 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, let me see if I can update what's been claimed so far:

4 Javelins +1 (Myrna Stonebeard)
A sword +1 (of whatever kind the owner decides upon receiving it) (Dell)
A sword +3 (as above) (Grim - shortsword)
A bracers of armor +1 (Ingrith Holdmettle)
A shield +1 (Nai Tnam)
A suit of banded mail +1 (Dell)
A suit of plate mail +1 (Gideon)
A suit of studded leather +3 (Unther)
A rune stone (inscribed with a spell of the taker's choice) (Fjirn)
A feather token in the shape of a tree (thrown on the ground, transforms into a massive tree)
A figurine of wondrous power in the shape of a silver raven (24 hours of animation per week) (Gideon)
A cloak of charisma (+2 to ability score) (Unther)
A cloak of resistance (+2 to all saving throws) (Nai Tnam)
A horn of fog (Grim)
A wand with 14 charges (taker's choice of non-evocation magic-user spell up to level 3) (Fjirn)
A potion of sweet water
2 potions of water breathing

---

The rest seem unclaimed--I will update gear for the followers in a bit.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Keehnelf »

Follower basic gear armor and weapons are complete.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Zorroroaster »

He looks around as the members of the company try on various pieces of armor or test the weight of new weaponry. Noticing the few items remaining unclaimed, he clears his throat and speaks. "These last items should be held either by those who would benefit from them most or by one of our new companions, whoever it seems most suitable. For example, I believe the female rune caster should wear these bracers. She could use them. Whoever is best at throwing things needs to consider the javelins as an alternative method of missile fire. My assistant Lorik can hold the potions for us, Fjirn's assistant can hold the token and the figurine, etcetera. Let us consider the unclaimed items as party loot, useable by any when the need arises and the situation warrants."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Keehnelf »

Myrna Stonebeard steps forward from where she stands in her older brother's shadow. "I'm not so practiced with javelins, as such, but I've got a good eye and I'm good with a crossbow. I could learn to throw just fine, if you'll trust me with them."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by KingOfCowards »

I was going to offer Myrna the javelins, so I am glad she took them.

Gideon will hold onto the figurine of the silver raven.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Keehnelf »

Updated the post above with new claims--only things left are potions and the feather token.

The King is also providing three mules with two saddlebags apiece, and as much food as can be laden on the mules as well as whatever anyone wants to stuff into their remaining luggage space.

That would be: 240 days total of food between the mules (or 20 days per person) as a baseline.

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by Sol »

"Seems it is all in order, then," says Unther, "So let us not tarry any longer. It is time for us to begin the journey that our ancestors demand of us, that our descendants require of us. Let us find the bane of our homeland and bring him at last to justice for his crimes."

He nods to the King briefly, and with that, Unther leads the way, out of the castle and in the direction of the edge of town.

NOTE - Unther has loaded his old +0 Studded Leather onto one of the mules.
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zorroroaster »

"The potions have not yet been claimed. Lorik can carry them for the party, to be handed back and used if and when needed."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Keehnelf »

Lorik steps forward meekly and bundles up the options and the token carefully so they won't be damaged in transit, then returns to a position out of sight at the back of the group.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Keehnelf »

Uliff addresses the party before they prepare to go for their final night's rest on the eve of departure.

"I wish you all the best of luck. Tomorrow we will send you off with fanfare and good cheer, but we all know that you face a difficult journey and an even more difficult objective. Allies along the way may be few, and even the landscape will prove treacherous. Further, no one knows precisely where Mangore makes his lair. Your two most likely routes will be through the hills to the east, to go to the Elves of Eisenloch and inquire there if anything is known of Mangore. Some among them may prove helpful, or at least not a hindrance to our aims. While we were once allies, and have long been rivals and even enemies, many long years have passed since blood was shed between our peoples.

"The other direction would, of course, lead you directly to the tomb-lands in the south. Perhaps some sign of Mangore's presence or design can be found among the abandoned resting places of our people. I have prepared a special stone with an enchantment upon in that will allow you to draw the soul of a body near enough to speak with it. The stone will allow three questions in total before it breaks--not all the questions must be employed with a single soul. Because of the nature of dwarven souls, this will be useful on one of our kind no matter how long-dead, but for any other being the soul departs by the rising of the next moon or the next sun, and such a communion must take place before that happens or it will be in vain. Any spirit that answers will be a malicious one, drawn by your curiosity with deceitful intent.

"I wish you good rest, and I will be among the many tomorrow who plan to see you off on this most hallowed of missions."
He hands a small pouch holding a crystal orb to Fjirn.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zorroroaster »

He closes his eyes as he listens to Uliff's words, committing them to memory as much as possible. This information may prove critical, he thinks to himself.

He looks at young Lorik, at the uncertainty and fear lurking just behind his eyes. "Come. Let us get some rest. Tomorrow will come soon enough."

He will respectfully take his leave of the others and retire for the night.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by KingOfCowards »

Gideon listens to the king, proudly. The weight of this mission is not lost on him. It is not just his name that depends on his actions and the group's success. But his family honor is at stake, and the fate of the whole clan.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by hedgeknight »

After the speech, Dell meets with Koranz and asks if he needs anything for the venture. Then, Dell will spend a few hours going through his gear, making sure he has enough "stuff" for the mission.

Note to self > stock inventory!!
Winter is coming...

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#74 Post by Sol »

Unther, at the perimeter of their land, spends his last evening gazing out into the distance. It is a personal ritual of his, always he partakes of it before a journey, and most especially before a military endeavor.

He sings some of the old songs as he contemplates the way ahead, and he continues to sing well into the night before at last retiring in anticipation of the morrow.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Keehnelf »

January 6, Year of the Clouded Eye - Lower Eastgate, Great Mountain Hold

It is dawn, and almost two hundred of the dwarves of the great mountain have come to see the party off. Among them are the King with the remains of his court, the friends and relatives of the travelers, and those with dead waiting for burial in the south who feel the urgency of this mission most keenly.

All are clamoring for the chance to share their small-world wisdom or pass trinkets along to the travelers for deposit in the tombs as a show of piety and promise for the future. Uliff himself presents a garland of belladonna flowers to each of the travelers to ward off ill fortune, before inquiring of them which direction they will take. He pulls a brand-new scroll case from his belt and pulls a map from it, unrolling it before the group. "This map represents the best of what we know about the region in which you will travel. It is yours to take with you and I hope that it guides your travels well."

I'll post the map itself up tomorrow for your deliberations.

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by Sol »

Unther respectfully takes what trinkets are offered by the people and vows to deliver them safely. As the map appears, he studies it with great care. Most of these lands are known to him due to his time in the Dwarven Militia. He is hopeful that his knowledge may yet serve them well.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by ybn1197 »

Grim paces back and forth as the group prepares to depart. Imprisonment and confinement were still fresh in his mind and he looked forward to the opportunity to stretch his legs once more. As the map is produced, he stops his pacing and moves to take a look for himself. "I think our best route is to make for the tombs themselves."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Keehnelf »

sorry for the lack of map. Was an extremely busy Monday. I'll get something up tomorrow for sure, I promise!

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zorroroaster »

As he stares at the map, his fingers play absentmindedly with the garland around his neck. He traces a calloused finger southwards from the mountain, stopping briefly at various markers along the way. His finger eventually returns North, and stops to rest on the gnome settlement.

"Perhaps we should visit the gnomes on our way to the tomb. They are close to the land in a fashion, and have eldritch powers of their own. Perhaps they have knowledge of the Black Druid that we do not. Their aid might prove useful."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Keehnelf »

I forgot to note in the setting thread: the dotted line marks roughly the last known boundary of the druid's influence.

Return to “The Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC”