The Town of Stewgray

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Town of Stewgray

#21 Post by merias »

You've settled in at the Inn of the Jolly Jester, a stone's throw from the south gate and the only full-service Inn in Stewgray [DMs note: the Drunken Troll near the north gate is a tavern but has no lodging]. There is a great room, kitchen, and outside stables on the ground floor, private and group rooms above.

The great room is bustling with activity this morning - customers come and go, and servers navigate the maze of chairs and table across the well-worn and polished oaken floor. A crackling fire in the hearth takes the edge off of the late-season chill. The barkeep and owner, simply known as Hullman, eyes the crowd but keeps a smile on his chubby face. And what of the patrons? Apart from those who you surmise are towsnfolk or simple visting travelers, several stand out.

A striking, red-headed female sits in the corner near the rear door, her back to the wall to afford a good view of the room. A veteran, perhaps? Her armor and gear beside her seem to say so.

Next to the hearth sits a small, robed man, balding with a dark crown of hair. He fidgets nervously, sipping his drink and looking to and fro as if watching for someone.

Three Hobbits in travel-worn cloaks sit at the bar, ordering plates of food fit for a human, not saying much but to themselves, in occasional whispers which you cannot overhear.

Actions?

Let me know if you are in a group room, or each in a private room. I'll assume your belongings are with you unless you tell me otherwise

kjc
Strider
Strider

#22 Post by kjc »

merias wrote: A striking, red-headed female sits in the corner near the rear door, her back to the wall to afford a good view of the room. A veteran, perhaps? Her armor and gear beside her seem to say so.
Arsenios - Cleric
"She looks...trustworthy. We should ask her to join me, err I mean us. And I'm thinking we should get private rooms. You know, for privacy," he says, not taking his eyes off the woman seated in the corner.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before." - my five-year-old son.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle takes a private room.

He will approach the robed man and say, Loneliness can breed nervousness. I am Drizzle, may I join you and we can discuss the issues of the day.

Miraje
Strider
Strider

#24 Post by Miraje »

Adrog

Adrog asks the innkeeper if he can doss out in a corner of the main room - privacy is all good, but it costs money (and Adrog HATES to spend money on anything other than good ale, good food, or good weapons). Preferably a corner with a clear view of all the entrances and stairs.

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by merias »

Hullman has no problem with Adrog staying in the greatroom at the shared room rate, however he insists Adrog is up and his belongings cleared away by sun-up each day.

Arsenios and the striking redhead share a brief glance, hers lingers for a brief instant before moving on. Was that a smirk on her face?

The robed man seems surprised by Drizzle's company. "Oh, ahem, yes, yes my name is Dribbho. Perhaps there will be some drizzle later....what did you say your name was again? They said I would know the sign when it came you see..." the man says, but is interrupted just then by the sound of shattering glass, as something flies through the rear window of the Inn, shards of glass following it. It lands on the floor with a thunk and skids a few feet, coming to rest near the robed man. He jumps out of his seat, eyes wide, then slowly reaches down and picks up what you can now see is a rock. A small piece of paper has been attached to it with twine. Dribbho slides the note free and reads, his hands shaking.

"Someone call for the town guard!" Hullman yells, as he runs out the rear door, a heretofore unseen club in hand.

Actions?

Kjc, the actions for Kryssah are now yours

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle grabs the man Dribbho and asks, What is it? What is the note?

Miraje
Strider
Strider

#27 Post by Miraje »

merias wrote:You've settled in at the Inn of the Jolly Jester, a stone's throw from the south gate and the only full-service Inn in Stewgray
Ironic... :roll:

Adrog will quickly finish his ale, put his back against a wall, and prepare his weapons for whatever happens next.

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:Drizzle grabs the man Dribbho and asks, What is it? What is the note?
"I..I must tell you all," Dribbho says, his eyes scanning the small piece of parchment, then looking up at Drizzle. "This is what happens to those who do not pay their debts."

Dribbho pauses for an instant, staring at his right hand.

"It is ... numb!" he says weakly, then his eyes roll back and he collpases at the knees, falling forward onto Drizzle.

Drizzle DEX check [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4

Miraculously, Drizzle remains standing. Dribbho slides to the floor, motionless, the parchment following him down. Drizzle can see writing on the note, with a black wax seal evident below.

There is commotion outside the broken window, but Hullman has not yet returned. Several patrons make haste for the front door.

Actions?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle looks on in horror. Then he peers down at the paper, avoiding touching it, trying to read it.

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by merias »

The note reads:

"Proclaim to everyone present 'This is what happens to those who do not pay their debts'.

Your life is forfeit this day and your debt paid in full."

The black wax seal bears the imprint of a hand.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle investigates Dribbho, checking to see if he is alive. If he is obviously dead, he will check his pockets, purse, etc to find out more about this man and his debt (and pocket some coin, if he is able).

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:Drizzle investigates Dribbho, checking to see if he is alive. If he is obviously dead, he will check his pockets, purse, etc to find out more about this man and his debt (and pocket some coin, if he is able).
He is clearly dead. Drizzle notes Dribbho's hands are soft and uncalloused, a merchant perhaps? His robes are of fine make and conceal a coin purse and a leather scroll tube. Bent over the body, Drizzle thinks he may be able to himself pocket the items without being seen, if he acts quickly.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle works quickly.

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by merias »

Drizzle tucks the purse and scroll tube away just as two town guardsmen burst through the back door (right next to Kryssah), a red-faced and panting Hullman behind them. Hullman takes in the scene and points in Drizzle's direction, and the two guardsmen look at Drizzle, who now appears bent over a body. They eye Drizzle suspiciously and approach.

The reading of the note and Drizzle pocketing the loot all happened very quickly, so I'll pause here and let the others chime in with actions.

kjc
Strider
Strider

#35 Post by kjc »

Kryssah - Fighter
Kryssah draws her sword and dashes to the shattered window, hoping to catch a glimpse of the rock thrower.

Arsenios - Cleric
Arsenios moves to aid the fallen man (perhaps catching Drizzle's pickpocketing attempt)?
"This looks like a place we've never been to before." - my five-year-old son.

Miraje
Strider
Strider

#36 Post by Miraje »

Adrog

Adrog remains alert, choosing to hold his actions until a clear need presents itself.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by greyarea »

This man, says Drizzle. He read that note there and died. He said his name was Dribbho! He nearly bowled me over when he collapsed and he seems quite dead. Does anyone recognize the seal on the wax?

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by merias »

kjc wrote:Kryssah - Fighter
Kryssah draws her sword and dashes to the shattered window, hoping to catch a glimpse of the rock thrower.
She does indeed see a fleeing figure - tall and cloaked in black, headed north at a brisk walk towards the town center and market.
Arsenios moves to aid the fallen man (perhaps catching Drizzle's pickpocketing attempt)?
When Arsenios arrives he realizes there is little he can do, this would require the talents of a highly experienced cleric. He does, however, see Drizzle's clumsy attempt at pocketing the scroll and change purse. I'll assume you are both hunched over Dribbho when the guards approach.
greyarea wrote:This man, says Drizzle. He read that note there and died. He said his name was Dribbho! He nearly bowled me over when he collapsed and he seems quite dead. Does anyone recognize the seal on the wax?
(checking Drizzles CHA ... 6 .. oh...)

Guard reaction: [2d6-1] = 7-1 = 6

The guards approach. One is heavy-set, middle aged (red-faced and breathing quite heavily) and one young, outfitted in chain armor and helms bearing the Regent's standard. They listen and seem skeptical, tempered only by the visible disbelief that this scrawny traveler could have anything to do with someone's untimely death. They look at Arsenios and glance at the rock and note.

The older guard speaks.

"We'll need your names, and don't even think of leaving town until we get this straightened out. You say he read this note and died? What does that have to do with the rock? Hullman said someone vandalized the Inn..."

The guard kneels and reaches for the note...

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by greyarea »

Drizzle exclaims, Hold on, the man died when he read the note. It could have some kind of poison on it. The note was somehow affixed to the rock. I believe the rock and note were both intended for this man.

He looks at Arsenios and then speaks for both of them. I go by Luas and my friend here is Nevik. He went to chat with some woman, and I decided to strike up a conversation with this gentleman. He seemed like he might know this town, as Nevik and I do not. We are both staying at this inn, and can remain while you carry out your investigation.

Did anyone see who threw the stone? He might have the answers you are looking for. And do you recognize the symbol in the wax on the note?

I sure hope Arsenios doesn't require an INT check to see if he picks up on the name swap...

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by merias »

The guard stops in mid-grab. "Poison you say?" He stands.

"Luas and Nevik? Strange names." the older guard says as he scratches his head, then squints at the note. The younger guard rolls his eyes.

"It's a black hand, Rufus. We'll have to inform the Regent...it looks like Visk is at it again."

LOL! Quick thinking on the names. I suppose Luap was a bit too strange? :)

Return to “Nolenor (OD&D)”