CHAPTER ONE: It all starts, oddly enough, in a tavern...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: CHAPTER ONE: It all starts, oddly enough, in a tavern...

#121 Post by Alethan »

"Ay, lad, let's just make our way to the village. We can keep an eye out for him there (or maybe pay one of the locals do that for us)," says Bran from atop the mule. "And we won't be there soon enough, if you ask me! By the gods, I'm tired of riding already."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#122 Post by emirikol57 »

Well...ok, we'll keep riding. I was just looking to have a little fun.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Argennian »

emirikol57 wrote:Well...ok, we'll keep riding. I was just looking to have a little fun.
Savik again offers an unusually wide grin and does that funny nose-scratchy thing as he looks back over to the gnome. "Something tells me that opportunity will show itself again soon, master Ulfronde!"

Savik then installs his impartial mask and continues to keep a careful eye on their tail. If he does anything out of the ordinary, the elf will sound off to the others immediately.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#124 Post by Gelatinous Q »

The mysterious rider continues to trail you for several miles, gradually increasing his distance as he does so. By the time you start to notice the telltale signs of imminent civilization — cultivated fields, grazing lands, etc. — he’s no longer in view. Whether he’s stopped, reversed direction or left the road entirely, you can’t be sure.

As you near Tassin’s Wood, the road that’s fringed the Grimmleaf since the Ratikhill turnoff veers SSW, running now through rolling fields of wheat and barley on either side of the road. Presently, you draw up before a simple stone bridge spanning a 25 foot wide stream, still swollen and swift after the recent rains. A stone marker at the foot of the bridge reads (in Common):

On this site in CY 7, Umphred Tassin, with thew and guile, slew the dread Bulette of the Grimmleaf, at grievous bodily loss. Erected to his everlasting honor by the citizenry of Tassin’s Wood, CY 507.

Beyond the bridge lies an orchard brimming with fat, plump apples to your left, the village spanning out straight ahead of you and to your right. First impressions being what they are, you'd say that the hardships that have plagued the countryside in recent months have happily ignored Tassin's Wood.

“All right, boys. Unless Lady Alcastra’s payin’ ye to spend the next three days dead drunk, this is where we part ways,” Sgt. Shadwraith announces as you come to the other side of the bridge. “I’m bound for The Scarlet Moon.” He pulls short at the first building on your right bearing the shingle The Scarlet Moon Inn and dismounts. A boy idling in front of the building tosses the apple he's eating aside, comes forward at a lazy lope, takes the reins from the sargeant and leads his horse into an enclosure; Shadwraith tosses him a copper.

edited for accuracy/clarity: forgot the inn had its own stables!

Post your intentions below; I'll start a new thread for Tassin's Wood (with handy map!) this evening.
Failure is always an option.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by onlyme »

Should we split up for a bit, and have two get remaining supplies, while two visit the temple/priests and two hit the pub for some intel?

Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Argennian »

Gelatinous Q wrote:...Beyond the bridge lies an orchard brimming with fat, plump apples to your left, the village spanning out straight ahead of you and to your right. First impressions being what they are, you'd say that the hardships that have plagued the countryside in recent months have happily ignored Tassin's Wood.

“All right, boys. Unless Lady Alcastra’s payin’ ye to spend the next three days dead drunk, this is where we part ways,” Sgt. Shadwraith announces as you come to the other side of the bridge. “I’m bound for The Scarlet Moon.” He pulls short at the first building on your right, dismounts and ties his steed to a hitching post.
As they approach the village proper, Savik formally nods and casually salutes Shadwraith. "Thank you for traveling with us and ensuring our well being, sergeant. Enjoy your leave here, sir. Until we see you again, then", offers the elf with a flourish of his free hand.

Savik will sling his bow and do his best to appear as a casual traveling member among of the group. When they do make it into Tassin's Wood and Shadwraith breaks off at the Scarlet Moon, the elf will begin to look careful about to see if he notices any serious scrutinizations from among the village folk.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#127 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
Should we split up for a bit, and have two get remaining supplies, while two visit the temple/priests and two hit the pub for some intel?

Yeah, that works for me. Bran might be better with speaking with the priest, so I'm up for that option (along with someone else - the other cleric?) if nobody has any objections.

Supplies:
#1 - We need trail rations for each of us for 3-4 weeks (per the PHB, a week of trail rations/iron rations is 5 gp, so that's 20 gp for each of us for 4 weeks of food). That is going to be pretty bulky, so we might want to consider getting a pack mule (20gp) or a donkey (8gp). If GQ wants to make a ruling on how many rations would fit in a large sack, we could also get enough to hold them. We can keep some rations on all of our individual mounts and then some on the pack mule/donkey. Could also use it for holding other supplies, but I'm a believer in not having all of your eggs in one basket, so I like to keep supplies evenly spread out.

#2 - Water shouldn't be a problem, should it? it's a wooded area, I believe. Maybe something to ask the guide or a local. If it might be, then we could get another two waterskins/person.

We should figure out total cost for the additional supplies (party supplies) and divide that among everyone and have all chip in, then have two people get them. So far, that's at just a little over 23gp each if we go with a mule (~21 each if we get a donkey). We'll want to get a guide, too. I'd suggest paying them weekly.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:
Yeah, that works for me. Bran might be better with speaking with the priest, so I'm up for that option (along with someone else - the other cleric?) if nobody has any objections.

Supplies:
#1 - We need trail rations for each of us for 3-4 weeks (per the PHB, a week of trail rations/iron rations is 5 gp, so that's 20 gp for each of us for 4 weeks of food). That is going to be pretty bulky, so we might want to consider getting a pack mule (20gp) or a donkey (8gp). If GQ wants to make a ruling on how many rations would fit in a large sack, we could also get enough to hold them. We can keep some rations on all of our individual mounts and then some on the pack mule/donkey. Could also use it for holding other supplies, but I'm a believer in not having all of your eggs in one basket, so I like to keep supplies evenly spread out.

#2 - Water shouldn't be a problem, should it? it's a wooded area, I believe. Maybe something to ask the guide or a local. If it might be, then we could get another two waterskins/person.

We should figure out total cost for the additional supplies (party supplies) and divide that among everyone and have all chip in, then have two people get them. So far, that's at just a little over 23gp each if we go with a mule (~21 each if we get a donkey). We'll want to get a guide, too. I'd suggest paying them weekly.

#1 should be 1 to 2 weeks. Iomhar and several others have 1 weeks worth, and I don't think we have used our own yet. Also we are due back to her in 2 weeks.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#129 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Alethan wrote: If GQ wants to make a ruling on how many rations would fit in a large sack, we could also get enough to hold them. We can keep some rations on all of our individual mounts and then some on the pack mule/donkey.
A large sack has a 400 g.p. capacity, so it could hold 2 weeks of standard rations (maxed), or 5 weeks of iron rations (w/ 25 g.p. of capacity left). (FYI, I just updated the house rules with various container volumes.)

Mmm, hard tack & salt pork!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by Nuke66 »

As civilization begins to show, Gordon drops back to the group. "Quiet place you have here Sargent, naught but a bevy of wildlife."

Dropping back to Savik, "I think Bran and I should go visit the High Priest given our predisposition to the healing arts. We can compare notes this evening at the Inn you find for us. I intend to discuss Charellsfane’s tower not the item it'self."

As the group crosses the bridge, Gordon notes the soldiers exit.

"Sargent, enjoy your leave, hopefully we can join you for your last night in Tassan's Wood"

OCC: I will go with Bran to the priest.

I think we have lots of food. Another mount would be good, but I hate the thought of leaving horses outside the tower.....the cheaper the better. "DONKEY" (from Shrek)

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#131 Post by emirikol57 »

I'll gladly go and acquire the necessary supplies.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:...Dropping back to Savik, "I think Bran and I should go visit the High Priest given our predisposition to the healing arts. We can compare notes this evening at the Inn you find for us. I intend to discuss Charellsfane’s tower not the item it'self."
Savik nods to the half-elf and the dwarf. "An appropriately wise choice, gentlemen. Before we all split up though", Savik lowers his voice to ensure that only the members of the party can hear, "perhaps the telling of our employer and true mission here should be... kept guarded amongst us, at least for now? I was thinking that we might anticipate that those individuals potentially working against us could already be here in Tassin's Wood. Until we can confirm this, should we not, hold our cards close?, as an old friend of mine used to say. Perhaps a cover story? We all met on the road from Ratikhill... kind of thing?

Of course, we can play it straight up too, friends. Just pointing out that we do not know anyone here, their disposition or intention. I think we should we all agree on this before we start making acquaintances..."

Savik will wait for the others to respond before heading along to assist Ulfronde to "shop" the local merchants, as long as he doesn't mind the company, of course! :wink:

OOC: Sorry for leaving this to the last minute gang, didn't think we'd make town so quick! :) Thought the idea of discussing a cover story might not be a bad idea, or we can all just split into 3 groups and go to it. Thoughts?
Last edited by Argennian on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by Nuke66 »

"But of course, we need to minimize our intentions, but we also need information that prevents us from roaming the countryside for two weeks. A cover story about Charellsfane is about as vague as it gets. Perhaps other skills might come in handy? Gordon casually winks at Savik and he says 'other'

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#134 Post by Gelatinous Q »

So to recap: Bran/Gordon are tracking down the high priest; Ulf/Savik are procuring supplies; Iomhar/Glogs are hitting the inn. Correct?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote:So to recap: Bran/Gordon are tracking down the high priest; Ulf/Savik are procuring supplies; Iomhar/Glogs are hitting the inn. Correct?
Iomhar recommends that Bran and Gordon walk over to the priest.
Either Glogs or Ulf get the supplies, while one watches ALL the mounts
Iomhar and Savik hit the inn.

I dont know what advantage higher charisma has in getting townfolks to talk, but that was the rationale.
Would Savik being an elf hurt discussions? If so, then switch Savik and Glogs like you had it...
Once provisions are in place Glogs and Ulf come to the inn, and we can switch off guard duty.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#136 Post by Alethan »

I concur.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#137 Post by Gelatinous Q »

I got the impression that the two thieves were going on the supply run. At any rate, I'm going to wait for a consensus on this before moving forward.

In the meantime, two little pearls of DM benevolence:

• There are options in the village for stabling your mounts.
• Knowing what you know of the demographics of Ratik, you shouldn't expect to see too many, if any, demi-humans in Tassin's Wood. There are substantial populations of dwarves and gnomes in the Rakers and their foothills, but they mostly live separately from humans. Elves are a rarity outside of Marner and Ratikhill.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#138 Post by Alethan »

With that in mind, I'd say have any pure humans do the talking in town and maybe even buy the supplies (might get hit for higher costs if a demi-human tries). The others could either come along to see the priest or try their luck at another pub, maybe? Or maybe try to see if they can spot the guy who was following us earlier.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by onlyme »

I can handle the talking at the inn. Glogs can either come with me there, or buy the provisions (at least we know the accepted merchandise will be clean). Might be smarter to check the stock and prices, but wait on purchasing until we get a handle on any information.

Any particular questions to ask before we get split up? Remember the priest wasnt too open with Alacastra, find out if/why there is tension. See if they know about the locals, which ones to trust for information/guides?

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#140 Post by emirikol57 »

Ulf will go to the tavern instead, seeing that he might be overcharged for supplies.

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”