CHAPTER ONE: It all starts, oddly enough, in a tavern...

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

Re: CHAPTER ONE: It all starts, oddly enough, in a tavern...

#61 Post by emirikol57 »

Ulf patiently watches to see how things develop. He is especially interested in what items will be offered to assist the mission. He is also fully aware that his purse is rather light!

Opabinia
Squire
Squire

#62 Post by Opabinia »

"Rivals?" says Glogs. "Agents?"
Glognius "Glogs" Epithlet, Level 1 Fighting Man

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by Gelatinous Q »

She considers Bran’s questions first, obviously amused by the dwarf’s parsimony.

“Patience, sir dwarf; the items you shall see in a moment. You have, however, swayed me about your wage — indeed I arrived at the figure reckoning on five men rather than six. One hundred gold imperials per man it is.

“Now, the mage built his tower somewhere in the Loegrimm Valley — that much is certain. This knowledge alone circumscribes your search. It is the precise situation of the tower within the valley that remains lost to us. I’ve scoured it from top to bottom, and the only tower I’ve laid eyes on is my own.

“To this end, I suggest traveling to the village of Tassin’s Wood, a league and a half distant. There you will find a temple dedicated to the Velaeri at which Charellsfane’s funerary rites were performed. I have had dealings with the High Priest there and while I’m afraid his knowledge of the Illhiedrin Book is scarcely more than your own, he might be willing to divulge more to you than he has to me. Flattery may help — I found him to be an insufferable bore, and perhaps it showed. It’s meager, but it’s a start, of which you’re in need.

“Regarding possible rivals, I am far from the only person interested in recovering The Illhiedrin Book. I can only surmise how many other factions may be afoot. It has always been coveted of the The Overking’s court mage, Emirikol. It would not surprise me, given the humiliation they’ve suffered, if the clerics of Delleb in Rel Mord pursued a claim. And there may be others …

“I myself have commissioned no one else for this task. The only other group that was brought here for the purpose by Captain Ollenstask I dismissed for fear they would put the tome to ill purposes. They never even heard me speak the volume’s name.

“To the young man’s finer points”
— indicating Iomhar — “you need not fret over petty squabbles among Baron Lexnol’s liege. They are ample and they amount to nothing. The rivals I speak of are from beyond the Barony’s borders. Their agents, however, might not be.

Now her voice takes on a tone of faint annoyance. “’Tis true I find my apprentices less expendable, as you say, than I do you. Should it be otherwise? Without their assistance, you shouldn’t have half the information I’ve given you today.” She calls to two of the figures lingering by the battlements — both female. “Rhall! Mirranscheim!” They move to Alcastra’s side, both quite fetching, the one called Rhall obviously of mixed elvish blood.

“The items, I offer merely as insurance that my coin and my trust — neither of which are infinite — are well spent. They can be withheld should you feel you don’t need them. As to specific perils you may face, I cannot say.”

“Regarding those items — Lieutenant Manestall.”
She beckons a soldier conversing with Captain Ollenstask along the battlements. He advances and bows before Alcastra, proffering a sheathed long sword. “The first is a sword forged by dwûr artisans deep in the Corusks — fine, magicked steel that gives its wielder an advantage in battle, and bites home even against those creatures unaffected by normal weapons.” Lt. Manestall unsheathes the sword and it casts light. The look of frustration and envy on his face is unmistakable as he lays the sword at his mistress’s feet.

“The second —“ and here Mirranscheim steps forward — “is a wand that, upon the utterance of the word Avabreyhu, will detect without fail portals and traps hidden from plain view. This device may be used eleven times before its magicks are exhausted.”

Alcastra’s other assistant, Rhall steps forward with a finely scrimshawed bone scroll case. “The final item,” Alcastra says, “is a scroll inscribed with the spells sleep and magic missile.”

The sword, wand and scroll rest at Alcastra’s feet.

“These items are yours to use freely in the recovery of The Illhiedrin Book. Should you succeed in delivering the book to me, you may keep them; otherwise, I expect their return. Now, what say you?”

[OOC: I think that just about covers all posted questions. Let me know if I left anything out and of course if Alcastra's response prompts more.]
Failure is always an option.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by onlyme »

Gelatinous Q wrote:““To this end, I suggest traveling to the village of Tassin’s Wood, a league and a half distant. There you will find a temple dedicated to the Velaeri at which Charellsfane’s funerary rites were performed. ...
She calls to two of the figures lingering by the battlements — both female. “Rhall! Mirranscheim!” They move to Alcastra’s side, both quite fetching, the one called Rhall obviously of mixed elvish blood.

Iomhar picks up and investigates the long sword. Scrolls and wands are not his favorite items. He knows he is not as skilled as some others may be, but it looks shiny and well built. He also admires the two female assistants. As to handling those well built weapons, he believes his skills are unmatched.
He focuses back on Alacastra and asks, My generous lady, would you be willing to temporarily sacrifice the use of a trusted employee to serve as a guide to hasten our approach to the locale? They need not put themselves in danger on our behalf, of course.

Also, I notice the edit trace is on some topics but not this one. Are there posting protocols to editing game posts? I have for narrative content (and spelling/grammar) but dont want to do so for an action/decisions that might appear to violate campaign knowledge at the time of the post.
Last edited by onlyme on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by Alethan »

Bran's eyes twinkle as they search out every detail of the dwarven-made sword, from the etchings on the blade to the intricate, but sturdy, work on the handle and pommel.

"Ay...," he nods his head and softly speaks through a smile, "That is indeed a fine piece of steel." Then his shoulders drop and he smirks as his hand subconsciously reaches to the side of his leg (where he normally leans his axe), "But, alas," he continues with a shrug, "My god prefers I elegantly cleave my foes in two rather than skewer them with pointed steel. Maybe one of the young men or elven-blood can put it to good use..."

Bran casts a wary look at the wand and scroll, narrowing his eyes to slits of suspicion and distrust. He then looks back at the sword, and a smile once again appears.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Nuke66 »

Gordon listens carefully, and can't quite dismiss the feeling that Alcastra knows more about the 'Rivals' then she lets on.

Once the other items are presented, he steps back and observes.

"Can we have some time to discuss this between ourselves?"

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#67 Post by emirikol57 »

Ulfronde eyes the wand for a few seconds. Yes Lady Alcastra, may we have a few minutes amongst ourselves to discuss this business proposal?

If the group has the opportunity to speak alone: My gut feeling is that we are not getting the complete story from Lady Alcastra. The fact that she is offering such magical aid tells us that she is sincere in desiring this book....but also that obtaining it will certainly be difficicult. I hate to admit it, but my over-riding concern here is money. I am low on finds, the Lady is offering 100 gold each, and frankly I am bored. I say we all give this a go!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Argennian »

Savik nods to the wizardess and then her assembled entourage. "If you will excuse me, mistress. I should join the others for a moment of discussion, in the interest of cooperation and solidarity, as it appears we could possibly be working together as a team in this." The elf will bow his way away from Alcastra and over to speak with the others.

As he joins the party and discussions commence, he'll listen carefully to all and then offer his reply. "Gentlemen, I am of the mind that this could be a good opportunity. Although I know only a cursory background and history of our potential benefactor, I believe she is a lady of her word. Besides, does anyone here have a better work oppotunity at present? We are all admittedly short of coin and as an old acquaintance of mine used to say, a rabbit in hand is worth two in the hedge. Based upon what she has said and the items she has offered, I take her to be serious as well. We could not only make 100 gold imperials per man, but be given a chance to acquire some additional items and perhaps more wealth? I know we do not know each other well but if we decide to work together as a team in this, we are being offered our own choice to decide how the... investigation shall be conducted. There would also be the benefit of numbers in our protection and each other's capability. I plan on accepting her offer and hope you all decide the same. I have some relevant and perhaps valuable skills I have learned in my youth and travels that I offer to each of you now. Along with my word of honor and oath of partnership, of course."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Bran smiles and simply says, "Aye, it seems like a fun way to pass a bit of time. Count me in."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar nods his agreement. Obviously he is in. What else would he do for two weeks while waiting on his target to arrive? He whispers to the others in the huddle.

I think we should press for a guide or two as I requested. It reduces the risks of wasting time in the beginning. Plus we may learn more details.

We also should press for food. I only have one week's rations and would rather spend my advance on safety and armor.

Are any of you knowledgeable of this Tassin's Woods area? Where can we get better outfitted without losing a day or two ride?

I know based on what small talk we have participated in, there are three of us who have trained to use such a magnificent type of sword. How do we go about deciding who shall use it first?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Nuke66 »

'All good points' Gordon thinks.

Looking at each partner in turn, Gordon feels a small sense of comfort in being able to trust most of this group with his life.

"I would dare propose that we put these items to their best interest in completing this task, but only temporarily. These items, along with any other 'acquired' items, be fairly distributed at the conclusion of our partnership. I would also say we need to request the mundane support as well, mounts, tack, food."

"Friend Savik, I as well pledge my word and honor to this group as well."

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#72 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Glogs nods. "My need for coin outweighs the reservations I share with you."

In truth, he was swayed by the tidy and hygienic condition of Alcastra's quarters.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Nuke66 wrote: "Can we have some time to discuss this between ourselves?"
"You have until day breaks," Alcastra replies. "I await your decision."

She motions for her entourage to join her on the far side of the battlements, leaving you to your discussion.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Argennian »

When everyone present agrees that they're in on this little adventure, Savik offers a grand smile most uncharacteristic of his usual emotionless mask. He looks to each other party member and offers a nod of respect and acceptance.

"So, we are agreed to work as a team. May Sehanine, Lady of Dreams, grant us true fortune, friends. My proper name is Savik. Savik Greenlander, originally of Celeste two centuries past. I am not only a Sylvan warrior, but I have been trained in the art of stealth," at which time he makes a flourish of his left hand (what he knows to be a fairly universal hand sign form of Thieves' Cant) and looks to see if he notices recognition of this by any of the others, "as well as the knowledge and some minor use of the power of Ars Magica. I offer these to our task, and the promise that I will honor and defend each one of you as my brother and ally from this point out. Anyways, for fear that I might carry on with excitement, let us move to task...

I am agreed that, in additon to our advance of 50 gold per man, we should push for the use of our previous mounts, as well as tack, feed, water, rations, and as many other mundane resources as we can get mistress Alcastra to agree to provide in addition. Within reason, of course. If she offers us a guide to Tassin's Wood, that would be suitable. It would certainly allow her to keep an eye on our progress and intelligence gathered. Otherwise, perhaps we could find a way to make good with this high priest at the temple where Charellsfane's funeral rights were completed? I would venture to guess that he is not the only one around that could know something. A local forester, hunter or trapper could perhaps know where this mystery tower is or might be located. Just a thought or possible avenue. I will retain some loose coin for such purposes, as well as perhaps some magical influences. Only if they seem appropriate, mind you.

As to the sword, the wand and the scroll, we should decide and agree as a group who shall use, or at least carry them. Although I could use all three, I believe only one able to read magic could utilize the spells on the scroll. Unless there is another, I offer to carry and keep these at the ready. If there is another, I will differ to their wish in this. The wand can be used by any man present. Typically, they utilize a type of command word to enable their power, but I am confident these details will be revealed to us by the lady Alcastra. It would surely serve us well to have the use of its magics to hand. As for the sword, I will make no claim to its usage. I feel I am better utilized with the bow, when possible. If there is a difference of opinion in this, then let those interested parties come to a logical determination and agreement."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#75 Post by emirikol57 »

Ulfronde lights his pipe as the discussion continues. When the opportunity arises, he gives Savik another common hand signal in thieves cant.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Argennian »

emirikol57 wrote:Ulfronde lights his pipe as the discussion continues. When the opportunity arises, he gives Savik another common hand signal in thieves cant.
Savik smiles again for some reason only known to him and "scratches" his nose and cheek in a most pecular manner...

(OOC: "Sure did see you, friend. Let us speak privately when possible...")

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by onlyme »

Iomar adds, I agree tis right to ask for the mundane items. I do not want to ride back to Ratikhill for items we can get here. I also do not know what we may or may not find at Tassin's woods. Even if it means a smaller advance.

We should all pledge to reserve a few coins each for bribery purposes.
Is there any items we see we may need to acquire jointly? I see someone has rope. We have several torches. Anything missing?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by Alethan »

Bran nods in agreement to everything said so far, "That all sounds good to me. I think getting a few weeks of rations for each of us for the trail would be good - we can always leave them on the horses - and a guide would be able to help us, as well as tend the horses if and when we find the tower and enter it."

emirikol57
Strider
Strider

#79 Post by emirikol57 »

Holy water, several more vials of holy water may prove to be useful!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by Nuke66 »

"We are agreed then, we will present our additional requests on the morrow"

Gordon reaches down and picks up the sword first, handing him the scabbard, hilt first.

The scroll case and wand, he hands to Savik and Ulf respectively.

"I hope it is time to eat, I am getting famished."

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”