[Completed] - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Completed] - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

This expedition was led by Orrin the dwarf, and resulted from a split in an expedition that had been moving toward the Finger of Doom to plumb its depths but encountered some internal difficulties while navigating the forest to the west of the mountain. Participants in this expedition were:

Orrin
Lug
Naila
Jem
Adrienne (hireling)

The initial direction of motion was northwest from the rocky mound where the party split.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Expedition - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Jem whispers to the others.

I fear the sword has already shown its true powers to us. Does anyone else fear the thought of them returning to our group at some point when we are vulnerable and trying to eliminate those that spoke against them?

If that is the case, perhaps we should become the hunters and secretly follow them to see what they are really plotting?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zorroroaster »

"I don't know if I would go that far. I think Rhodri and Kennit are just looking for loot, and Numen is clearly troubled by whatever effect the sword is having on him. It would be prudent to set a guard at night though, regardless of whatever dangers we face. I wish it had ended differently, truly. I had no intention of causing such strife, but there was no way around it. Something is not right there, not right at all."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

"I'm curious what they're up to," admits Lug. "But I if they noticed us following them, I might have to show them Reason. Let's just keep double guards and go about our business."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

April 21, 1 VC - 11:40am

The group decides to travel northwest from the rocky mound, passing through very difficult terrain that is marked by sudden dips and gulleys where runoff from the mountain seems to pass along steep-banked channels. As they travel, the smell of wet earth intensifies and eventually becomes somewhat cloying, as the light of the forest dims slightly (though the sun is now almost directly overhead) and becomes like sparkling emeralds scattered across the leaves of the surrounding trees.

After a few hours, the party approaches a low wooded ridge, and climbing to the top to get a better view of the area they spot on the far side a small grove of thick-trunked jarban trees, surrounding a low crumbling stone tower all in a cluster. There are perhaps thirty of the trees in total, with twisting flower-dotted vines strung from the branches of one to the next. The ground between the trees is grassy and also dotted with wildflowers, and gives an impression of peace and calm. The whole area offers a sense of being wild and cultivated at the same time.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin laughs, and pats Lug on the back.

"Well there you go, big guy. Jarban trees, and plenty of them. I think we should be careful about just hacking one up though. That place may be inhabited, and the owner won't appreciate us attempting any unlicensed logging. Let's move with care."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem looks around at the outskirts of the grove to see if he can spot anything odd.

Im glad to have parted ways with those other.......less than savory fellows. I feel much better about our new, smaller company.

It seems that our mission is blessed by Pelor as we have already found what you were seeking.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

"Yeah. Good idea."

If no one spots anything between the group and the grove to cause suspicion, Lug will carefully lead the group to the edge of the grove. Once there, he will stand outside the wall without entering, and call out into the grove.

"Uh...hello? Anyone home?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Keehnelf »

April 21, 1 VC - 12:00pm

A bird sings merrily on a branch a half-dozen feet above Lug's head as he calls out. There is silence, then an intimation of movement from within, then from the shadows of the crumbled tower a large figure appears, a chestnut-brown horse's body with the torso of a man clad in fine furs and leathers at its front. The figure carries a ten-foot long staff of gnarled wood and atop his head is a delicate silver crown set with a single flawless diamond. He has a lined, craggy and careworn face adorned with a flowing chestnut-colored beard streaked with gray and marked with white scars.

In a high, clear voice he calls out, "Hail, travelers! Bring no venomous intent and be at peace within my grove." He motions with his empty hand for the group to enter.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem's eyes light up and a smile covers his face as he enters the grove, completely forgetting the groups intentions.

Great heavens! I have heard of such creatures in myth but never once did I think that I would ever get the chance to meet one!

Hello there indeed! We have no ill intentions towards you or your grove I can assure you. I am Jem, priest of Pelor, and these are my traveling companions. What is your name and.........are you the king of this forest?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin solemnly moves forwards with weapons stowed and hands empty. When he reaches the edge of the grove he drops to one knee and bows his head.

"My Lord, I am Orrin Lighthammer, a simple Dwarf from the North. We have travelled from the city of Vaul in search of a specific wood to be used in the making of a bow. The tree we seek is the Jarban tree, and we see there are many here. We humbly request permission to harvest a single limb from one of yours in the grove for the making of this bow. We do not make the request lightly, as we can see this is a place of peace and beauty, and do not wish to disturb it's tranquility. If there is anything we can do for you in return, we would be honoured to fulfil your wish."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

"Erm, maybe more than one branch, depending on the size," clarifies Lug. "One stout branch eight feet long would do it, or two or three smaller branches."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin nods at Lug as if he's just thought of something else.

"Perhaps also, you have a tree that has lived the bulk of its life and is ready to be properly used for other tasks. The bow would be used by my friend Lug here, who has made it his mission to hunt the goblin horde that has been terrorizing these woods. Certainly, it would be put to good use."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

The centaur smiles warmly to the group as they enter the perimeter of the grove.

"Indeed? Enemies of the goblins? That is excellent news! I have become nervous of late how I and my allies might fare should no one arise to make a stand against their encroachment on these lands." The creature speaks with an unusual accent, lilting and almost musical, though at the same time somewhat toneless as though he is unaccustomed to speaking in human-sounding languages.

"My name is Xavro, and you are welcome here for a meal and a discussion--perhaps we can reach an arrangement for the use of one of these majestic jagabru." The centaur bows slightly and gestures with his empty hand toward a patch of grass bare of flowers under the branches of one of the jarban. "Make yourselves comfortable. I will return shortly with some refreshment." He disappears once again into the interior of the crumbling tower.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Lug sits down and waits. "Peaceful place. I like it."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin removes his backpack and sets it down on the grass. He rolls his shoulders a few times to relieve the tension of travel, and then breathes in deeply taking in the sweet air of the grove. He sits down and relaxes at the base of the tree and peers up into the leaves, allowing the gentle movement of the leaves to lull him a little.

"Indeed, Lug. Very peaceful."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem seems comfortable but still studies their surroundings in detail.

I wonder who he meant by his "allies".

Jem sits down and watches the actions of the horse-man.

His house looks a bit rundown, wouldn't you say?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus scans the area, he doesn't seem to be having the same experience as everyone else. He's kept his crossbow in his hands the entire time and did not see it fit to bow and grovel before the grove tender.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, I was wondering where all the suspicion went myself...perhaps they used it all up on the demihumans ;)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Keehnelf »

April 21, 1 VC - 12:40pm

Some time later, Xavro returns, accompanied by a large spotted cat with barbed ears and a short tail, perhaps a lynx. He holds a pewter tray piled up with fresh fruit and rustic bread, along with a thick wedge of cheese. He kneels low to lay the tray down among the assembled group, and then lowers himself on to his forelegs to that they are all at a similar height. The lynx continues on to the edge of the grove and lies down in the shade there, watchful.

"So, you say that you are enemies of the goblins. What purposes bring you into conflict with them?"

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”