[Completed] - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Completed] - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

This expedition departed Vaul on the morning of April 18th to make a foray into the Finger of Doom, hopefully also finding a rare tree from which a powerful bow can be made for Lug, the Hero of Song.

The expedition was led by Rhodri the Gloom-Cursed, an experienced elf, and included the following other members:

Lug, Hero of Song - male human
Orrin the Gymnast - male dwarf
Naila - female human
Numen - male elf
Remus - male human
Jem - male human
Kennit - male halfling

Adrienne - female human
Last edited by Keehnelf on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

#2 Post by Zhym »

"Awright," says Lug, pulling the hood of his dire-wolf cloak over his head. "Let's go kill something."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin arrives to meet the others first thing in the morning decked out in shiny new splint mail. He's clearly proud of his new armor, and more than a little relieved at being somewhat better protected.

He's also sporting a longsword slung behind his shoulders, his hand axes now carried in belt loops at his side.

He looks at Lug and barks out a rueful laugh. He holds up his thumb first and then his forefinger, as if counting something out.

"Let me get this straight. The first time we went to the Finger, we came back a man short, because he went and got himself burnt to a cinder. The second time we didn't even get to the Finger.

I think we ought to call this trip the Middle Finger."

He makes an obscene gesture in Lug's direction, and then spends a moment polishing a smudge on his hip.

"I know it's going to get all dinged up soon enough, but I can't help not wanting to get it scratched just yet. Cost me most of what I had but I'll be glad when it gets scratched and not me."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

"If the sword is shiny, you haven't been using it enough," laughs the big man.

"We'll get to the finger soon enough," he adds. "There's plenty enough to kill on the way there."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Tell that to my ...oh never mind."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Spartakos »

Shoot, Orrin, I'd have let you have Rhodri's longsword, in exchange for the machete. Sorry. :(

Rhodri was up before dawn, and waiting outside the city gates for his companions, wrapped in his cloak and scarf and occasionally taking a pull of wine from his skin. He greets Orrin and Lug with businesslike nods, and he offers them each the wineskin.

"We can call this trip whatever we want, when we return from it. Otherwise, it'll be other people naming it, likely calling it the Dead Men's Folly or some such. First things first: get there alive, get what we can, get out alive."

Ready to go!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

"I'm okay if we manage all but the first of those three goals," syas Lug. "Get what we can, and get back alive."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem arrives at the gate in the morning as promised. He looks over the group thoroughly before adjusting his own gear. He appears ready to set out but he remains silent as he waits for the others.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Spartakos »

All right, let me give a shot at marching order:

Orrin and Kennit to lead off
Lug and Numen next
Naila and Jem middle, for a little protection
Rhodri and Remus on drag, with missile weapons

Not sure where the heck to put Adrienne; does she need to be up front to guide us? If not, another possibility is:

Orrin & Kennit
Lug and Adrienne
Naila and Jem
Rhodri and Numen
Remus bringing up the rear

Anyone have preferences or alternate suggestions?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zorroroaster »

Looks ok to me.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by KingOfCowards »

Adrienne said she likes second rank so that she can use her spear. Option two looks cool to me. Give the elves bows and we are pretty dangerous from a distance. Despite being in front rank, I think Kennit will have his bow out as well.

Kennit arrives at the city gates a bit too early for his liking. He shields his eyes from the morning sun and he complains of drinking too much the night before. His equipment, at least, seems to be in order and he sports a new hunting bow.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Spartakos »

KingOfCowards wrote:Adrienne said she likes second rank so that she can use her spear. Option two looks cool to me. Give the elves bows and we are pretty dangerous from a distance. Despite being in front rank, I think Kennit will have his bow out as well.
Right, I forgot that. Okay, option #2 it is.

Yeah, I'd actually like most people to have missile weapons to start; if we get surprised we can always pull blades, but if we spot something at a distance it's nice to be able to reach out and touch someone. Numen and I both have bows, as I recall (Rhodri's definitely better with a bow than a sword), not to speak of sleep spells. Our new fella's got that crossbow of his, I believe Naila carries a sling, and Orrin can have a throwing axe handy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

Lug also has a bow.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zorroroaster »

Yep, Orrin has 2 axes for throwing.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Mister-Kent »

I'm good with either formation--Numen indeed has a bow. Also, anyone want his spare longsword? If not, he'll try to sell it off at market before leaving, just to lighten his load. Magic sword, dwarven shortsword, and shortbow is enough hardware for him :D
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Are we sure we want Numen in the back with that magic sword? Something tells me that sword isn't going to be happy if it isn't getting lots of action. It might even try to cut its way forward.

Lug bought a pole arm (let's say it's a halberd) before leaving town, so he can attack from the second row if we end up in tight quarters.

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by GTan_Baq »

Naila shows up at the gates and greets her friends with a smile, "Good morning, you all. I'm ready to go."
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Keehnelf »

It looks like folks are ready. What's the initial direction of travel, and how far will you go before changing directions if there are no obstacles or random encounters?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zorroroaster »

Last time we aimed for exploring the west side looking for a possible back entrance, correct Spartakos? I believe Lug would like to search the forest west of there for his tree, so perhaps we swing around that way, and approach the finger from due west? What do people think?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

I'm in favor of avoiding contact with the Big Black Wolf whenever possible until we're strong enough to kill it. Heading north then approaching the Finger from due west makes sense to me.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”