Re: Adventure 2, Chapter 2: Stoat and the Pass

#201 Post by mb. »

Mournath? Hello?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Pulpatoon »

Mournath's arrow also misses, as the harpies effortlessly increase their elevation. Then, folding their wings, the begin to dive.

I'm going to split this round: ranged attacks or non-melee actions can be taken while the harpies dive. Melee attacks will occur after the harpies attack.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#204 Post by mb. »

Bürd whips up a spear heaves and it up at the descending harpies, then backs up to the wagon and readies his axe for an upward swing...

Spear chuck: [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13 to hit, and [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 damage...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Guard is still busily loading his crossbow. He hunkers down as far into the lee of the overturned wagon while doing this.
mb. wrote:Bürd whips up a spear heaves and it up at the descending harpies, then backs up to the wagon and readies his axe for an upward swing...
Spear chuck: [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13 to hit, and [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 damage...
Bürd's spear grazes along the side of a speeding harpy, sending a spray of blood and feathers, but not interrupting the determined charge.

Remnumbering the remaining harpies, 1-6.

Harpy 1 attacks Bürd: [1d20] = 2 Miss!
Harpy 2 attacks Bürd: [1d20] = 12 Miss!

Harpy 3 attacks Guard: [1d20] = 20 Critical Hit! Damage: [1d6] = 3x2 = 6
Harpy 4 attacks Guard: [1d20] = 16 Strike! Damage: [1d6] = 1
Death and Dismemberment: [1d6] = 4 Senses.
[1d6] = 5 Smell
Stunned for [2d6] = 5 rounds
Dead of blood loss in: [1d6] = 4 rounds.

Harpy 5 attacks Mournath: [1d20] = 15 Strike! Damage: [1d6] = 5
Harpy 6 attacks Mournath: [1d20] = 2 Miss!

The guard's face is nearly torn off by a snatching talon. He falls to the floor, bleeding profusely. His nose, upper lip, and left cheek are gone.

Mournath takes a hard blow to the chest, but remains standing. bislab, if you can update in the next day, you can still get a melee attck in on the harpy that struck you.

Three of the harpies have landed on the ground, and are preparing to close in. The other three are hovering at about the height of your heads.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by mb. »

Assuming that the spear-grazed harpy is one of the ones that attacked Bürd...

Bürd swings his axe in a shining arc at the wounded harpy!

I rolled a few times on the dice roller, and it kept rolling natural zeroes... so I think it has a little problem at the moment. I resorted to good ol' polyhedrons, and if you're willing to trust me, got a total of 12 to hit (rolled 13 +3 BAB -4 defensive stance) and 3 damage (rolled a 1 + 2). Who would lie about rolls and choose those numbers?! ;)

Note that Bürd's on 15 AC (13 +2 for defensive stance) next time the harpies have a go at him.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Pulpatoon »

Thanks for the notice that you are still in defensive stance! I'd assumed you'd dropped it after the first round, but will keep you in defensive stance until I hear otherwise.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#208 Post by mb. »

Did drop it earlier actually, but considering Bürd's HP & being dive bombed by harpies, he's keeping his back to the wagon and being careful.
Last edited by mb. on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Pulpatoon »

Mournath's arrow goes wide.

Next round! Actions!
Bürd is in a defensive stance; the Guard is bleeding out in the dust.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#211 Post by mb. »

But Bürd also attacked... Did you see the roll above? Was the 12 a hit?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:But Bürd also attacked... Did you see the roll above? Was the 12 a hit?
I took Mournath's arrow shot as a belated addition to the round where Bürd threw the spear. Bürd's axe attack will count towards the next round. Apologies for not being clearer about that. I shouldn't write posts before the morning coffee.

bislab
Strider
Strider

#213 Post by bislab »

Badly injured, Mournath takes shelter in the outcropping of rocks grabbing some detritus from the wagon to hold as a shield. Squatting down within the ring of stones and holding his make-shift shield over head he attempts to weather the harpy storm.

Burd! Take cover! We can track them after they move along!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#214 Post by mb. »

Okay, I've got the timing straight now, so not standing there alone as the only target seems a good idea... Let's adjust Bürd's axe swing if that's okay.

Seeing the guard on the ground and Mournath taking cover, Bürd drops to the ground, rolls under the wagon, and pulls one of the merchant's shields in behind him.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#215 Post by mb. »

Belatedly Bürd remembers the spears, and reaches out to pull one under the wagon...

Bürd's main goal is to be unreachable, secondarily to stab at the harpies. Not sure if that counts as defensive stance, or just out of reach (in both directions). Up to you Pulp...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Pulpatoon »

The harpies cautiously pace around the wagon, looking for an opening. They find you pretty well defended under the wagon, between shield and spear.

They fall back and gather. You can catch most of their conversation.

One harpy is dispatched with the bleeding guard, to fly "back to the aerie." Someone asks if they should staunch the human's wounds before taking him back. The harpy-voice that seems to be in charge answers, "The earth-flesh has slain sky-flesh. Take him as you find him, and let the winds decide if he survives the journey or not."

A harpy asks if reinforcements should be called for. The lead harpy answers, "We will have this resolved soon enough. Gather those spears... I count three. Good. And the crossbow. Look for any other weapons with sufficient reach. Sister Milde, bring a brand from the fire over there."

Two talons stalk over to the wagon, and the lead harpy's voice addresses you. "Little rabbits, huddled in your hole, we'll roast you neatly enough. You can sit there and burn, or run and be skewered. You have resisted arrest and murdered two Swiftwings. For this, I am duly vested, sealed, and authorized to judge and execute you. However, such is the beneficence of the Stormqueens of Éastrodor that even the foulest of assassins might be given the opportunity of leniency.

"Surrender. You will be disarmed and bound and the tendons in your legs will be severed to prevent attempts at escape. We shall transport you to Éastrodor where your co-conspirators await justice.

"What say you?"

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#217 Post by mb. »

Bürd grunts, "I say: MOURNATH! SHOOT TH'BITCHES!"

If I understood correctly, Mournath is hiding between some rocks, i.e. not under the wagon with Bürd, right?

bislab
Strider
Strider

#218 Post by bislab »

If I understood correctly, Mournath is hiding between some rocks, i.e. not under the wagon with Bürd, right?

That is correct, i'm ducked down with a shield over my head .

bislab
Strider
Strider

#219 Post by bislab »

Mournath shouts Arrest?! You attacked us with no word, no warning and no attempt to parley! If arrest was your aim, these things you could have done. As it stands, YOU are nothing but marauders and killers! Mournath prepares an arrow as he speaks.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#220 Post by mb. »

Bürd takes up Mournath's thread, "Aye ladies, y'kinnae think us criminal. Y'fell on us wi'out prov'cation, and we done defended ourselves. Y'kinnae expect no death when yer tryin' t'bring it t'others!"

Bürd wriggles around, trying to get a view of the harpies, "'sides, we're here on a mission y'might be wantin' t'know aught of. We're followin' th'foulest threat from th'south, an' it's no doubt here amongst ye now. Burn me up an' y'll never be knowin' nought of it, not 'til it's upon ye an' yer sisters anyway."

Return to “At the Forest's Edge (Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures)”