Chapter 2a - Old Man River

AleBelly
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 2a - Old Man River

#221 Post by KingOfCowards »

The sack of copper is probably more weight than its worth, but Jaspar will take the two sacks with them. He looks very discouraged as the children are marched out of the compound, the realization of war and those who are most effected create lines of worry across his face. He thinks hopefully that these younglings will be in a better place with the "good" tribe of human enslaving nixies.
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#222 Post by enn.in.me »

As the party emerges from the water, Yenny shakes like a wet dog. I hope I don't need to replace this armor. Uggh. I feel like a weasel in the spring.

Inga - I take it we have fulfilled our "debt" and that Jaspar can leave with us so that we too may go home? We do need to get moving, and you may find that we hold all the daggers.

Be careful with these children - you owe them a good life, one full of love, good food and a better model of living than you have shown us. And you owe us a service under hostage. I hope we will not claim it, however.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#223 Post by KingOfCowards »

Are we assuming the lair has been thoroughly searched? I just assumed you were fast forwarding so we can meet up with the other group.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, there would have been a lot of exploring. Nothing of note has been left undescribed.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#225 Post by CAI4 »

Chet sees that Jaspar has the coins and stays with the party.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#226 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sev takes no pleasure in the looting and surfaces without a word. He feels that these killings were senseless and is ashamed that the party was forced to do such a thing.

He gives the winning team of nixies a look that says as much but decides to say nothing more about it now that the "job" is finished.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Zorroroaster »

Eduard is ready to leave. Jaspar is holding the coin bags, Eduard has two daggers and the gems, and there's a pile of daggers collected from the nixies that one of the others can take with us.

Once we meet up with the nixie leader, Eduard will request that they help us return to the other side of the big lake where they left their equipment.

One thought - with the spell they used, we wouldn't feel the cold at night tonight - perhaps once we get back to our side, those with infravision can lead the others along the river back to camp. It would mean hiking in the dark but that way we would still make the rendezvous with the other party, although on the late side.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde grabs what sacks he can, smiling at the Nixie children (And likely scaring them in the process).

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by AleBelly »

Date: 17 Rituals, Year 41
Time: 13:40
Conditions: 39F, cloudy, windy (13 mph wind from the SW), -1 penalty to hit for every 60'
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Sun, 2.5 more hours

The light from Yenny's shield wanes as the group makes their way back up to the shore. Jaspar struggles under the weight of the coins and hands them off to Hyde to make better time. The party walks overland a quarter mile to the next lake. There, they are met by several other nixies. Several walk behind select children, brandishing daggers, but at least have the decency to make the threat implicit and avoid causing the children more distress.

The captive nixies descend into the depths. The children are incredibly distressed and the adults look resigned to a miserable fate.

Inga leads the party along the lake north about a mile and a quarter, then they proceed underwater for a quarter mile until they surface at the spit of land where their stashed belongings lie.

Inga turns to Jaspar and the others. "Your debt is paid. You have allies in the East Lake. We will remember your faces. We may be of service to each other in the future." She mutters some words in her native tongue.

Jaspar's countenance returns to normal. Inga turns to him. "Please return with me to the depths. You can live happily and safely there. You may live out your remaining years with me...in peace and plenty." She smiles, waiting for an answer.

At this point, the party realizes it's about an 8 mile walk back to their rendezvous point. They will probably make a mile an hour, which has them walking quite a bit in the dark.

What does the party do?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#230 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny "Let's go find our friends and get some sleep."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde wanted fearfully to chase away those Nixies harassing the young ones; that's just not right. He also wants to get in Inga's face, to tell her she and her ilk have had enough of his good pal! Managing to maintain good form, he simply speaks softly. Jaspa. It be time to go now.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Zorroroaster »

Eduard retrieves his stashed gear and shoulders his pack.

"We should get moving. I think we should do our best to make for the rendezvous with the other party so they don't end up worrying about us. It means hiking in the dark, but with the river to our left we aren't going to get lost. Once it's full dark we can put those with better vision at night out front, so that we don't draw attention to ourselves with torches. We can stop every so often and have a quick listen. At this rate we'll get back with enough time to catch a few winks."

He clasps Jaspar's forearm tightly for a moment.

"Its good to have you back with us. Ironic that they chose the fisherman, though. Catch and release."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#233 Post by KingOfCowards »

Suddenly released from the enchantment, Jaspar smiles stupidly not knowing what he's smiling at. He remembers having feelings for Inga, and he remembers enjoying their short time together more than anything. But what once seemed like bliss now seems tainted and counterfeit, like waking up from a dream and being disappointed that it wasn't real. He stares at Inga with cold unflinching eyes, then spits on the ground, wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and turns away without a word, insulted that she would believe he could side with his kidnappers.

At Eduard's jest he cannot help but laugh, "The fisherman who got snared by a fish-woman's spell. An ironic result, no doubt. I'll have stories to tell at the tavern for years to come. But let's be getting back, the others are probably waiting."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by AleBelly »

...and that is a good place to end this thread.

Please see Chapter 2 for continuation.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”