Chapter 5b: Unexpected allies, and a way out?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 5b: Unexpected allies, and a way out?

#1 Post by Rukellian »

The events of this particular subchapter are taking place in the Rogue Wizard's place of residence. Rand is already inside and Deceidon just entered, followed by Flynn and then finally Whitsell.

Upon entering the stone, you are all awestruck by the sheer granduer of the room you find yourself in. It is almost as if you were back in New Dathan's royal throne room, a place burnt into the memories of each adventurer who accepted the king's mission. A magnificent foyer stands before you all, and numerous chambers stretch out beyond as a crackling fireplace illuminates a banquet fit to serve at least a dozen people. Fully furnished and clean, the room is extremely welcoming, if eerie in a magical way due to the everchanging floors and walls in the background.

To your left and right, you can see portraits hanging on the walls. The pictures inside the frames move about as if they were live plays on a stage in some mini ampitheatre. The tables and cupboards lining the walls and floors are filled with shining knick knacks and bobbles, some cleary magical in origin and others more ancient than anything else. To your left, you notice a great library, where Rand and a robed man is sitting. Near the two is a table with the thief's backpack on it, a few open books, and most importantly, the orb everyone has been after.

Both the old mage and Rand turn to look at Deceidon. Rand's eyes widen and fills with terror while the mage's just smile and welcomes a familiar face.

"Not quite the guest we had in mind, eh boy? This should be interesting." The old mage says this in a dry laugh that stops abruptly with a fit of coughing. "Welcome back Deceidon."

Rand calms himself after seeing the mage look confident. He attempts to act just as so, trying to give Deceidon the impression that he knows more about what is going on then Deceidon. "Not the guest we had envisioned at all..."

"What is going on here?" Deceidon asks. No sooner did the fighter thief say this, Flynn and Whitsell enters the scene as well. Rand's face lightens up a bit from his tense battle pose, a little happier to see the other two. He still keeps up his guard though as the old mage starts to speak, and hopefully calms things down.

"Whitsell, Flynn, do not be alarmed. You are not in danger here, no one is. Deceidon and Rand, the same goes for you two as well. Nothing will be accomplished if we start spilling each other's blood." The old mage coughs and takes a sip from a nearby goblet before continuing. "I was just talking to this young man here about the significance of this orb and what lies in our near future. You see, Kinra is about to be plunged into a dark war, and we have to stop it."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5b: Unexpected allies, and a way out?

#2 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell looks around, and asks

"And who might you be exactly, and where are we, really?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

onlyme wrote:Whitsell looks around, and asks

"And who might you be exactly, and where are we, really?
"Matkinsai Berathon, former assistant of the king's advisor and now rogue mage of the Dathanian Kingdom." He bows with a courtesy that seems too calm in the tense situation everyone finds themself in. Smiling, he stands erect once more and answers Whitsell's second query. "As to where we are, that answer is also simple if you can wrap your head around it. We are in a magically created plane of existence. Fenrin, the king's advisor, used the artifact to create this dimension, a prison world for everyone he wanted to get rid of, but it goes much further than that."

Matkinsai pauses for a moment, clearly distracted by something outside of the conversation, and then smiles. "It would appear as if Hal and your elven friends have just come to an agreement. Shall I fetch them for you so that we are all here?" For those unacquainted with the wizard, he has a very mysterious and omnipotent aura about him, clearly magical. The old man is confident but shows his age as physical mannerisms give him away, the slight arch in his back, the occasional tremble in his hands, eyes that seem to stare out into space and appear forgetful. To Rand, the old man holds more importance than anyone can truly know, but to Deceidon, the old man's physical appearance is just a mask, something to conceal the dangers of who he is and what he truly represents.

The majority of the group knows very little of the man, but they all seem to get the feeling that Matkinsai knows much more about them than they'd like...
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell answers,
Yes, please do. I am sure the Captn can help vouch for you one way or the other.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rand continues to not say anything, but a look to the archmage and a simple nod confirm that he is up for letting the second group in. He does not take his eyes from Deceidon or Flynt. His hand still resting on the handle of his dagger.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon circles around the foyer, into the library, and examines the orb. He gets behind Rand, and takes a seat.
There wasn't a link to this from Chp. 5, so I just came across this thread... :oops:

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As Rand watches Deceidon walk around, he continuously turns his body to watch him, never fully taking his gaze off of the others as well, he steps back to create space between him and the rogue. The way Rand has positioned himself it almost seems as he is is guarding the older man from the others.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rukellian »

I will be with you all shortly. I just need to finish up some PMs so that we can get everyone together for this. Thank you for your patience guys.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

Matkinsai waves his hand and reads something off of a book in front of him. Immediately after doing so, a portal, similiar to the one ecounterd in the mountain ritual chamber earlier, appears before the group. It stands for but a minute, and after a moment of intense silence, three figures emerge from it, Hal, Elithil and Sunshine.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

"Well, here we are, all together again," observes Elethil impassionately. "I heard a voice telling me that the rest of you would be found through a portal not far from where we stood in town. I was not misled."

"Some of you may be confused to see Sunshine standing here," he explains. "He admitted to trying to assassinate me, but claims it was for a contract. He has given his word, for what that is worth, that he has abandoned that contract and will fight at our side in exchange for an equal share of treasure. Captain Hal decided that we need any blade we can get, so Sunshine stands here instead of rotting in a cell. I have, however, taken possession of his bow as restitution for his attempt on my life. And I would recommend not letting him out of your sight."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rand visibly relaxes a bit upon seeing Elethil come through the portal and not skewered on some sword, "It seems you made it after all, you have a mean card players face you know?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell tries to take in the conversations, and finally asks.
So what is going on here, and what do we need to do about it?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by tooleychris »

ugh. Just found this thread. Sorry. Ya'all need to kick me in the pants sometimes! :)
"Well ain't we all just friends now " says the swashbuckler sarcastically.
"And don't you look so full'a yerself, Rand. Savvy? There's explaining to be done 'fore I'm so comfortable. "

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rand looks over towards Flynn, his glare obvious, "I'm not full of anything, pirate. Nor am I comfortable around people as close-minded and fearful as you. I don't have to explain anything I've done to you."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rukellian »

Matkinsai clears his throat, an attempt to get Rand to calm down. "Not everyone here is on best terms with anyone, I understand, but at least hear me out before you all make any hasty decisions with that orb, or those weapons in your hands, alright?" The old mage gives everyone in the room a stern look before continuing.

"We are all in one room now and I'd like to take advantage of this and help resolve some standing issues. Many questions need to be answered, suspicions and intentions put to rest and clarified, all so that we can work together better for the events to come. Where to begin though, where to begin... I think the best thing we should do is get all of our facts in order, yes? Let's start with the events that took place in New Dathan. You were not there at the time Hal, but the majority of this group here was assembled by the king. It is his advisor that gave you your mission, however, his supposed brother, Fenrin. He told Whitsell, Flynn, Deceidon, and a half-elf named Gustov to obtain an artifact that was stolen, stolen by a rogue mage, wizard, whatever you want to call it, and to bring it back to him. Did he say why or how to do this? Did he divulge any kind of information to aid you all in your task. No? If this is not the case, then why is that?"

Matkinsai seats himself and scans the room for each individual's reaction as the questions and answers come forth. His eyes share the gaze of a teacher looking upon a class of students, gauging whether a lesson has sunk in or not.

"Some of you may know the reason or have a good guess, but I would like to hear what you all think before I continue. It well help me determine what needs to be said and what doesn't."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by tooleychris »

"The king is the king." answers Flynn. "While I don't agree with all policies, he has done well by his kingdom and it is his interests to continue to do so..." the "pirate " sighs.
"This and he saved my life. Why question his words? Why bend ear to a rogue sorcerer?"

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rand simply waits for the others to respond, not being one of the original group members, his hand still on the hilt of his sword.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rukellian »

tooleychris wrote:"The king is the king." answers Flynn. "While I don't agree with all policies, he has done well by his kingdom and it is his interests to continue to do so..." the "pirate " sighs.
"This and he saved my life. Why question his words? Why bend ear to a rogue sorcerer?"
"I do not ask to question the king's words, Flynn Ryder, but that of the advisor's. I have reason to believe that the good king is being used, manipulated, tricked.

"Yes, I am that rogue 'sorcerer', that has not changed. But the reason why I went rogue and broke away from Fenrin's services, I can assure you it was done with Kinra's best interests at heart... the fate of all humans if you would prefer to focus on that."

"I've always hated their damn politics," exclaims Hal as he lounges around the table of food. "It made it bloody hard to serve the king faithfully when his advisors kept on flashing their silver tongues dipped of venom; this much I can attest to! I wouldn't put it past any of them to try and pull one over the king, as much as I hate to say it..."

"The former captain speaks the truth more than he realizes."

"I do not need your praise, 'sorcerer'! To hear all this talk of backstabbing politics and hidden agendas, it turns my stomach just thinking about it. You best watch what you say about the king, lest some of us do something about it."

Matkinsai returns Hal's glare with one of his own. "Your warning is noted."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell absorbs the back and forth dialog. He casually holds up his amulet.
I have always followed the teachings of my elders. My parents taught be right from wrong, including to serve the king and his court and also to serve the great Karnagee. At no point have I believed those two commands would be at odds.

He rubs the disc, and continues.

I as mere mortal man could not begin to know how determine who is lying to whom or what advisor is or isnt tricking the good king for whatever purpose. I can only go by what I feel, and Karnagee has never let me down.

He whispers,

Oh, Karnagee, how can I determine who to believe?

He looks around the room, ready to grab his sword into anyone objects to his simple prayer at such a time.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rand leans over towards Matkinsai, speaking in a low tone, "Told you he was of the clerical order, Could tell the way he held himself first moment I met him." he allows the man to attempt a communal with his god, still watching the others with a wary eye.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”