Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Briarbeard Tavern (Vaul) - III

#341 Post by Mister-Kent »

Oops! In anticipation of our upcoming thrill
It seems I've skipped out on the bill
Combined with her fellows' generous offers,
Please take 50 gold from Ruwyn's coffers!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by AleBelly »

How about just 35 gp? I think that settles the bill.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Keehnelf »

No, it was 50.

98 - 33 from Lug - 15 from Varas leaves 50.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Zhym »

We also have offer of 33gp from Baxtaw. If Baxtaw wants to contribute, we could either reduce the contributions from Lug, Ruwyn, and Baxtaw, or just have Ruwyn and Baxtaw contribute 25 each.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by AleBelly »

I do math good

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Zhym »

Also, if Valorei needs a longbow, that's 54 more gp needed from somewhere (or 36 for a short bow & arrows, but longer range is more better).

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Zorroroaster »

May 2

Orrin
shuffles into the tavern slowly, as much from fatigue as from the ill fitting chainmail and scavenged boots. He sits down at the bar and leans the spear up against it.

"Greetings, Ghrym. Nothing for me thanks, just want a place to rest my arse for a moment to collect myself. It's fair to say we've been through hell and back again. Never thought I'd lay eyes on this place again, to be honest. It's good to see you. What's the news?"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Keehnelf »

Ghrym's eyes go wide. "Wow, that were quick. Your giant friend just left a couple days ago with a big group to see if they could find you. He was on a tear, must have been quick wor--" Then he realizes that Lug and the rest of the group that departed are nowhere in sight, and likely would have come in with their newfound friend. "Well, you must have passed them on the way, I suppose. Are you--" he swallows uncertainly as he slides a mug of cool water across to the dwarf. "...alone?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Thanks, I'm parched. Wait, did you say Lug was here? And that they went looking for us? Orrin hangs his head, clearly overcome with emotion.

"The last thing I remember before being laid out cold was all of us fighting for our very lives. He must have survived the fight and come back here. The rest of us...I don't think anyone else lived. I didn't come back alone, Kennit and Rhodri are around here somewheres. I tell you, it's been a wild ride. I'm lucky to be alive. Maybe I oughtta stay put until they return."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Keehnelf »

Ghrym shakes his head sadly and sighs. "Yeah, it was only him that came back. He was in a mood, though--gathered up the biggest group I've seen, maybe close to a dozen in total, and headed out for the mountain to find you all and bring you back." He's silent for a while. "Well...maybe he'll find some of the others while he's out there."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#351 Post by KingOfCowards »

As if on cue, Kennit comes trudging through the door, looking back over his shoulder and swearing at some poor lout in the street as he enters.
His face is still a scowl as he makes his way to the bar, but a mug of ale makes seems to brighten his mood.
"Ahh, it's been well too long since I had some of the good stuff, Ghrym.", he exclaims after taking a deep sip. Pointing a thumb at Orrin, he says "I'll cover the dwarf's drinks as well.". He slides a couple of silver pieces across the bar.

"Are yee coming with us to visit the Duke tomorrow, Orrin? Should be a nice reward for that's beast's pelt."

2 silver pieces deducted for as many drinks as it will buy him, and 1 sp deducted for a room for the night.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Zorroroaster »

At the mention of the Duke, Orrin looks up.

"I appreciate the drink, Kennit. I think I'll let you and Rhodri deal with the Duke for now...I doubt I would add anything positive to your negotiations. Still gotta figure things out in my head about that guy. Fangir asked me to help him with something... I just don't know if I can. Does that make any sense?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#353 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit's face twists as he ponders the question. "Don't take this the wrong way, but not much about that Fangir made any sense." He takes another sip of his ale, murmuring into his cup, "He creeped me out"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, Varas would have given Orrin a key. Here's the post.

It took me awhile to find it, but it was a fun read. I now remember that I was traveling and couldn't wait to have an opportunity to check updates on how things were going:

viewtopic.php?f=237&t=3573&start=400#p158519

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#355 Post by Spartakos »

5 sp deducted for 2 days lodging and some drinks

Rhodri enters the tavern like a man dying of thirst. He downs three tankards of Ghrym's best before he utters a word, though the ale does nothing to improve his cheerless scowl. He takes a seat near Kennit and Orrin.

"Well, I guess that will teach me. Go in search of gold, find wolves and demons and crazy dwarves, and come out with scarcely a copper to show for it. I should probably go in search of dung, maybe I'd stumble across some treasure. I guess we all lived...if you consider that a good thing. Considering Numen was one of the 'us', it probably isn't." He looks over at Orrin, his face growing even more dour if possible. "On top of that...I don't suppose you know what happened to those rings we let you hang onto for safekeeping? The ones worth a cartload of gold? You didn't manage to swallow them or shove them up your arse before you got captured, did you?"

Draining his cup once more, he wipes his mouth with his sleeve. "I'm off to see the duke at once, before he has second thoughts about that reward. Unless he already has. Which is likely as not. You're both welcome to tag along and share my disappointment."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Zorroroaster »

"You know, on second thought I think I'll tag along. Might learn something interesting. And the rings are gone. I was put down by an orc and woke up in my skivvies. Later, when presented to Zyggmaur I noticed he was wearing some if not all of them on his fingers. I imagine Fangir would have a thing or two to say about that. And yeah, he's not quite right. He's not altogether wrong either, wherein lies the difficulty."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by Zhym »

Harold Willoughby walks up to Orrin just as the dejected dwarf is about to leave.

"I could not help but overhear that you are facing a moral dilemma," he says. "Perhaps the Lessons of Light might be of guidance in this troubled time? If you would like to talk, please come see me at the temple when you have finished your errand."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Zorroroaster »

"You know, I just might do that. I don't think we've met. Orrin Lighthammer. And you?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Zhym »

"Harold Willoughby. Pleased to meet you."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Keehnelf »

May 2, 1 VC - 9:50am

Word spreads quickly through the small town--the second survivor of the orcish massacre in the north arrived this morning at the gates of Vaul. Remus, the old hunter, stumbles filthy and bedraggled (but well-provisioned) through into the city streets.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”