Chapter 2 - The First Foray

AleBelly
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2 - The First Foray

#121 Post by Zorroroaster »

Eduard starts to clear the remnants of the Orc camp away from the fire pit to make room for their own things.

"Doesn't matter now, he's dead and if the others got ahold of the last one, we won't have that to worry about. Let's get camp set up and await the others return. We need to rest, for tomorrow we start investigating in earnest."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by Enoch »

Yana shakes her head in disgust at Sev's words and turns to Arlandia and says simply, "The Zorja favor me. Walk in the light of Dazbog and they will favor you also. Fail to do so, and may Simargl take you."

She turns back to Sev. "If you believe that, perhaps I should--and perhaps you belong out in the wilderness with these monsters. Killing is all these monsters understand. Do you have so little faith in your own superiority over these beasts that you think we're unable to learn anything from them?" She holds up the electrum coin again. "We've learned from this." She pulls back the furs to expose the tattoos once again. "And we've learned from this. Yes, they'd lie; but are you so easily fooled?"

She releases the furs and stands up, aiming a short, savage kick at the orc's ribs.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by AleBelly »

Date: 15 Rituals, Year 41
Time: 16:00
Conditions: 37F, clear, slight breeze from the south
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Campfire

Given the approaching night, the party decides to set up camp where the orcs did. They clear away the filthy blankets and have no trouble finding wood and tinder to start a roaring fire. Arlandria begins building a shelter.

Their companions reappear just as darkness falls. They find themselves in the middle of an argument on what should have been done with the orc leader. It’s clear all of the orcs are dead. Yana pulls back the garments of one of the bodies to reveal a tattoo on its right shoulder – two crossed red axes.

Chet sees weapons arrayed on the ground and pulls out of his pocket 8 of the same electrum pieces Eduard found on the other orcs. The robed man puts them in a neat pile next to the weapons. Eduard adds those he found to make it 29.
The party munches on rations from their pack, and Eduard opens discussion on plans for the next day.

Please provide how you will handle shifts and sleeping. Darkness falls at 4pm and dawn begins around 7am. I strongly suggest someone proposes a schedule so that we don’t spend forever debating the logistics.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Korok places the axe and spear he carried back with the other piles of loot from the other orcs. He places all of the javelins he could find on the walk back into their holsters and stands out by the campfire. "I will take first watch."

how do you want to handle javelin retrieval?
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Zorroroaster »

Eduard counts heads. "There's 10 of us left? 15 hours of darkness, and we're all tired. How about five 2 person shifts of 3 hours each? That gives everyone 12 full hours of rest? I know 3 hours is a long time on duty, but by pairing up we can stay awake and keep one another company"

Ilfrien, Korok
Jaspar, Sev
Yana, Arlandria
Yenny, Chet
Eduard, Hyde
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Keehnelf »

That was going to be exactly my proposal.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Keehnelf »

Or we can do 2-hour shifts and do a bit of traveling in dawn--or it would provide us with some extra awake time in camp to plan.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by Enoch »

That's fine with me, as long as someone on the last shift will awaken me a little before sunrise.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#129 Post by enn.in.me »

"Eduard - that plan seems fine." After eating, Yenny produces clean water for the group into a large leather sack. "Drink, wash up, whatever. I'm exhausted." Yenny then finds a tree near the fire and begins piling up branches and leaves around a fork in the roots. She takes off her armor, setting it carefully at her feet, and pulls the makeshift shelter over top of her and her belongings, largely disguising her whereabouts. "I'll be here when it's my turn for watch. Good night, all, and may Veles watch over us as we sleep."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Zorroroaster »

2 or 3 hr shifts are fine with me. Some planning time in the morning might be a good idea.

Eduard removes his armor and beds down near the fire. He's glad for the second blanket he bought before leaving, and is quickly asleep. He has placed his longsword alongside him, his backpack at his head with his armor piled neatly on it.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by AleBelly »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Korok places the axe and spear he carried back with the other piles of loot from the other orcs. He places all of the javelins he could find on the walk back into their holsters and stands out by the campfire. "I will take first watch."

how do you want to handle javelin retrieval?
The javelin hit the dirt. For something that sturdy, we'll assume it's recovered.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by AleBelly »

Date: 16 Rituals, Year 41
Time: 04:30
Conditions: 30F, clear, calm
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Campfire, waning gibbous moon directly above

The party takes two hour shifts. Those sleeping burrow deeply into their blankets and bedrolls to ward off the damp cold. A fog rolls in as the temperature drops below freezing, but is gone by 3am or so. The party, perhaps in anticipation of the day ahead, wake early. They are well rested. A bright moon hangs overhead in the clear sky. The party hears the occasional wolf howl, but these are far far away.

Spells are memorized and prayed for. Yenny rises from her well-hidden shelter and looks around. She doesn't seem to find what she's looking for. Those with armor don it, and most immediately retreat to their bedrolls to stay warm. Chet meditates near the campfire, wearing nothing but his robe.

In a pile near the campfire are the slain orcs' weapons and bounty: 52 of the strange electrum pieces, a polearm, a light crossbow with 2 bolts, 4 spears and 4 battle axes.

Please deduct a day's rations for the 15th. There are a couple conversations happening between watch buddies, so feel free to continue managing those via private forum.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#133 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny: "Good morning all. Now adventure really begins, I guess. I suppose it is best to separate into two groups... (No need to go over all that again, Yenny. (muttered)) Shall we meet back here the night after this one, if we are able?"

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by KingOfCowards »

Jaspar nods in agreement. "A fine idea. But which group goes which way?"
He scans the faces of the rest of the group to get their take on it.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Good morning!"

Eduard dons his armor, and prepares his equipment for travel. He looks around at the others and in the different ways people greet the new day. He prefers to find a quiet spot and stand for a moment, breathing deeply and gazing at whatever is in front of him, visualizing the day ahead in his mind.

"Will it make most sense for us to strike off towards the southeast and southwest?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by AleBelly »

I don't think it's been decided how the groups will split. Here was the original proposal, but three issues have arisen

Team 1:
Ilfrien, Twix, Yana, Korok, Arlandria, Chet
Team 2:
Eduard, Jaspar, Yenny, Hyde, Sev

1. Twix returned to Alleborg
2. Ilfrien mentioned that she didn't really want to be on Chet's team
3. Chet expressed a desire to explore with Sev and Eduard

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by MonkeyWrench »

AleBelly wrote:I don't think it's been decided how the groups will split. Here was the original proposal, but three issues have arisen

Team 1:
Ilfrien, Twix, Yana, Korok, Arlandria, Chet
Team 2:
Eduard, Jaspar, Yenny, Hyde, Sev

1. Twix returned to Alleborg
2. Ilfrien mentioned that she didn't really want to be on Chet's team
3. Chet expressed a desire to explore with Sev and Eduard
Team 1:
Ilfrien, Yana, Korok, Arlandria, Jaspar
Team 2:
Eduard, Chet, Yenny, Hyde, Sev

???
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by KingOfCowards »

MonkeyWrench wrote: Team 1:
Ilfrien, Yana, Korok, Arlandria, Jaspar
Team 2:
Eduard, Chet, Yenny, Hyde, Sev

???
I'd be fine with that, but it gives Team 1 both thieves, unless I am missing somebody's hidden talents.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Whoops... you're right....hmm... Well, what about this then, based more off of the individuals talents

Team 1:
Ilfrien, Yana, Korok, Arlandria
Team 2:
Eduard, Chet, Yenny, Hyde, Sev, Jaspar

The team 1 has less people but has almost distinguished themselves individually has competent fighters, except maybe Yana? Either way, past exploits should even the group out.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Marullus »

I am fine with Group 1 being four. We are going south along the east side of the river, yes? So group one goes straight/south while the other goes left/east? Can't go right/west because of water?)

Arlandria is up early, sitting by the fire, mending her heavy wools and leathers to close the gaping hole in her side. A haunch of deer roasts over the fire, aromatic by the time others awake, the rest still hung in the tree partially butchered. A cast iron skillet sizzles with sliced potatoes and sprigs of rosemary. The diminutive woman deftly flips them in the air every every minute or so. As others awake, she points to the deer. "Some one might want to butcher the rest of that down? Perhaps pack it in some salt on that pony. Hate to see what it draws to our campsite, left hanging as it is. You want to fry up any of your rations, or share in these, we can do it right quick. No point in cold tack when you got a fire 'fore a busy day.". She smiles, friendly and pleasant, her fingers deftly finishing the stitching while the pan sizzles.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”