Six Steps from the Gutter

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Six Steps from the Gutter

#361 Post by AleBelly »

Guffy breaks into a huge smile. "Yeah, you're not kidding? How about that!" he says as he slaps the woodsman on the back, nearly knocking him over. "Room's on me tonight, friends! Just ah, use your bedrolls, ok? Got enough stains on these beds already" he laughs.

He turns to go downstairs, then stops. "Where are the two little ones? You know, the weird one with the bird and the other one with the wooden clock?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Zhym »

"The treehugger's out huggin' trees, communing with the beasts o' the forest, like that," replies Angus. "Usually be doing the same myself, but right now a cranky vole could take me out, so I thought I might take in the comforts of town for at least a night. The one with the clock symbol, I think she's reporting our deeds o' derring-do to the sumbitch—'scuse me, 'upstanding officer'—what corralled this bunch into going out looking for trouble in the first place."

"Thank ye much for the room. But what these aching bones could really use is some strong whiskey." He plops down ten silver coins. "This enough for y'all to leave me the bottle?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by tkrexx »

We got bold, we got arrogant, hah? Hyde flops down next to Angus, his eyes half-shut. We got runofft, yeahh. We were just cussin' them cannibals for having no strategy, and them Goblins run us off. Oh, we nailed a slew of them, but we didn't win that, no. Be best if we go back with Alleborg Soldiers to keep busy the small fry, while we take the big bosses, hah?

The short, bloodied Half-Orc struggles with his pouch, but produces a coin of gold, and drops it on Guffy's tray. He tries to back away, but almost loses his balance and decides to wait until next time. Guffy, a pot of tea, please? Yeahh, you're my good pal. His ham-like hand goes to his head, betraying the pain there too. Tea always make me feel betta, think clear, help me focus. Might help this headache, too. Angus, I think maybe it's not so good an idea for Hellebore to be staying out there all alone, no. I don't think them Goblins will create mischief tonight, but maybe I'm wrong, hah? You maybe feel up to tracking back to the old farm, hah? I mean, afta we finish this tea. Besides, she's good at piecing bodies back together, yeahh, real good.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf staggers in to the tavern and barely makes it to the bar before he drops his things on the floor.

His voice is a barely audible monotone.

"One glass of warm milk and a bib, please."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#365 Post by CAI4 »

Chet is tired, but when he sees others ordering beverages he decides to commiserate. He puts 5 silver on the bartop and asks for some dried fruit and some ale. His face is grim and determined. "I want to get back and kill those goblins, but I think we should rest to full health first" says the monk to the others.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Zhym »

"Nope, that didn't go too great," Angus answers Hyde, "but we did some damage and got out with our lives. No shame in that, and coulda been much worse. Tell you what, though—sure am glad we didn't walk into the orc town, what with how a bunch of pipsqueak goblins handed us our asses."

He downs a shot of whiskey in one gulp. "You got a point there. We should check in on Hellebore, but it'll wait until tomorrow. I ain't able to help her tonight anyhow, being all beat up like this. Best to get some rest, get what healing I can from them godly types here in town, then trek out to join her tomorrow morning."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde snores.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien is ready to go back and kill as many goblins and wolves as necessary. Probably even more than necessary.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde comes stomping into the Six Steps, grinning. He nods to Guffy when he's noticed and plays out his customary payment system. Going back into the outlands again tomorrow, yeahh, like to get a good meal and a pot of tea in my belly, if you please. And Guffy? Obliged for taking care of me and my good pals last night, we don't forget things like that, no. He nods toward his tribe and heads over. As he does, he flashes his smile about the room. People should be used to that by now, so used to it they may not notice he's actually looking to see who is watching. Got some intel, yeahh. Not so much, but it's been cross-checked, so I think maybe it's good. He lowers his voice a mite, knowing he's still in a bad part of town, and coin buys ears. We know the good Captain believes there are traitors among those in Alleborg, citizens, guards, merchants, hah? This has been confirmed to me, yeahh, and more. Word along the alleys is that this disloyalty goes all the way to the top: The Council itself. Seems they be in disagreement with each otha, dunno what about, no, but it be serious enough that one or more of them may be colluding with them Goblins, or hanging with some who are. As to why, no one seems to know, and I asked pretty high up on the chain. It don't make sense to anyone. He lowers his head in confusion a moment. It don't make sense to me, no. Who would have anything to gain by them Goblins raiding farms, hah? Anyway, I was told by... He looks around again. ...By 2 separate sources that any hard proof would be in them Goblins' nest. And Captain Castleman, he said he was catching grief from above, and if we nailed them Goblins it would look good on him, and on us.

1gp deducted.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf looks incredulous.

"What would they gain? Control, man! The dudes in power want to stay in power. And how do they do that, man? By keeping the little guy scared, man. Just think: they let the goblins do a bit of violence on the perimeter farms and what do the folks in town do? Shut up and stay behind the walls, man! They're keeping us down, man and I ain't gonna take it any more! Down with the system!"

He shakes his head, and looks around somewhat calmer.

"Truthfully though, my dad used to pull this shit all the time in the bakery. He'd sneak bugs into his competitors bread dough and when people freaked out, they flocked to our bakery to buy food ".

"I think someone on the council just wants to stay there. Aphoz reminded me on the ban on selling magical equipment. I think I know why. It's to keep people from getting uppity. And stronger."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by AleBelly »

As the day draws to a close, Arnulf, Hyde and Ilfrien make their way back to Six Steps. Chet and Korok have been resting all day, and feel marginally better. Yenny has returned to her temple, but promises to return tomorrow with more healing power. Angus and Hellebore are at the farmhouse.

There seems to be general agreement that they'll head out to the goblin lair again when everyone is healthy.

Health status of the six in town:

Ilfrien, Arnulf - fully healed
Hyde - slightly wounded
Chet, Yenny - moderately wounded
Korok - still seriously wounded

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#372 Post by enn.in.me »

Moving slightly ahead of schedule in case I am too busy tomorrow, I'm posting and hiding the healing rolls for the in-game tomorrow today.
Chet
Chet
Korok (if he's around--otherwise Chet if still needed, Hyde otherwise)
Korok (if he's around--otherwise Hyde)
Hyde (if needed, otherwise Yenny)
Not sure if it is OK to metagame and not heal a PC whose player might not be around, but that's what I'd like to do...

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by AleBelly »

OK, either way, the group will likely need another day of healing to fully recover. If they want to head out with a full complement of spells, the group could depart on 31 Glowinghearth. This should be the case whether or not Korok is involved. This will mean a return to the goblin lair four days after their departure.

Chapter 6 will begin Tuesday. Some of your PCs would be able to train a day or two if needed. If so, let me know in your private forum so we don't clutter up the group threads.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by AleBelly »

On the night of the 29th, Chet, Hyde, Ilfrien, Arnulf and Yenny meet for dinner at Guffy's. Korok remains upstairs, resting. Chet has his usual fruit and ale while the others dine on more succulent morsels - roast chicken (with more bone than meat) and cabbage with a thin gravy.

In the middle of dinner, a half-orc strolls in from the historic cold outside. She's five and a half feet tall, and curvy. She likely weighs over 150 pounds but it's tough to tell with her winter clothing. She carries a trident and has a quiver of arrows slung over her shoulder. As she walks, the flaps of clothing reveal a glint of metallic armor underneath. She has green eyes and curly red hair, and her skin has such a faint tint of green that it would be hard to tell she's a half-orc by indoor lighting if it wasn't for the hint of canine teeth. She takes a seat.

Guffy appears ready to protest, but looks to Hyde and says nothing. The half-orc woman continues to look over at the party, as if she has some interest in them.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by tkrexx »

Say, Hyde elbow-nudges Arnulf. See that, hah? He looks to Guffy to gauge his reaction, then glances around the interior, not knowing what to expect.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#376 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny hops off her stool and scoots over to look up at the new person. "You look like trouble. Care to join us?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by onlyme »

The half orc smiles and walks over.

don't mind if I do, folks. My name is dandelion like the flower.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#378 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny - "What a pretty name, Dandelion. That's one of my favorite flowers!" Yenny has a big smile on her face as she walks over to the table. "Dandelion, this is...some of everybody. Chet, Hyde, Ilfrien and Arnulf. We were just about to have some after dinner drinks, I believe. Would you like something?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion nods and asks if this place serves the fruity apple flavored tonic she grew accustomed to in the previous town.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by AleBelly »

Guffy seems offended by the question. "Fruity drinks? Hah! Don't know where someone of your ilk develops a taste for that. Go check the Strident Lancer, though they'll not let you in. Wine, ale, whiskey. Those 'r our hearty drinks."

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”