IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: IC1: Two Miles West of Dead Tree...

#201 Post by Antman9 »

[Werhas Brownbeard – Dwarf Fighter/Thief] (HP: 4/4) (AC: 14)

Werhas nods his head at Himmel's suggestions and begins trotting across the open area toward Loman and the others.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Zhym »

Reginald waits to the side of the door. Zanzibar stands back, hiding behind Rhed.

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#203 Post by triplehappiness »

Herbert sees everyone beginning to move towards the door and he sees Loman motioning. Satisfied that no one is sneaking up on their flank he moves beside Crenshaw and loosens the mace from his belt. He feels the weight in his hand and it feels good. Valadon seeks justice and any foul creatures behind the door will surely need it. Herbert could feel the power of his deity in his soul and hoped he could give that gift to others. Hoped Valadon would see fit to strengthen him enabling him to better carry his message.

Crenshaw watches everyone move into position and feels a sense of accomplishment. Things seem to be working more smoothly and the group has only been together a short while. He nods to Herbert that he is ready and notices the glint in Herberts eye when he was communing with his deity. Crenshaw felt a small surge of envy as he often did when he witnessed Herberts interaction with his faith.

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#204 Post by dok-el »

The party moves quietly into position, surrounding the third door.

Suddenly the door flies open and a group of armed figures emerges. A party of Elven warriors with a haughty looking Elf maiden at the head of them now stand before Loman et al. The Elf maiden quickly makes a subtle hand gesture and mutters a couple of arcane phrases and a halo of golden light briefly surrounds the adventurers.

"Hmmm, well you're not evil, at least," declares the Elf maiden in a stern voice, "Treasure seekers I suppose. You really ought to try making less noise when attempting to sneak up on someone."
She stands silently for a moment, contemplating the group, Her finely-crafted chain armour glittering in the shadowy half-light of the Castle ruins. All the while maintaining a firm grip on her rune-enscribed longsword.

"We shall parlay with you," she announces, a clear air of authority in her voice, "We, of the Elven nation, who have laid claim to territories below. We offer assurance of safe passage to all those who acknowledge our rights of appropriation. I am Elvaniel Brightblade... declare yourselves!"

In addition to Elvaniel, there are six male Elven warriors.
Attachments
Brightblade1.jpg
Brightblade1.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 701 times

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#205 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Arnthorr comes forward and extends a formal greeting (whatever that entails) and speaks in Elvish, "Well met kinsmen. Your offer of safe conduct is welcome and in turn I assure you we mean you and yours no ill will, but you're a long way from home. What brings you to this ancient ruin and why may I ask do you claim dominion here?"
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#206 Post by triplehappiness »

Herbert eases the grip on his Mace slightly but maintains a flex in his shoulder, putting his weight forward should he need to take cover quickly. He gets the impression that this spell cast by the Elven leader was meant as some sort of test. His inclination is that they passed, but Herbert was not one to be tested by someone not in the service of Valadon. He found it presumptuous and vexing. And so he maintained his inward vigilance while promoting an air of calm. He didn't want to antagonize an armed group likely more familiar with the area than his own.

Crenshaw was intrigued by this sudden conundrum. He very much enjoyed Arnthorrs quick wit and handling of the situation. He relaxed the tension on his bowstring and gave a nod and a look of respect to any in the opposing party carrying bows. In a silent look, he portrayed "Well met fellow archer, I respect you but don't try me."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Zhym »

Reginald holds his spear at the ready. He says nothing, but waits for the elves' answers to challenges for the others.

Zanzibar likewise stands at the ready, behind Rhed.

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#208 Post by dok-el »

As the elf maiden addresses Arnthorr her voice seems to soften slightly,

"It is kind of you to address me in the language of our forebears, but it is not necessary. Let us speak in the vulgar trade tongue of the west. We are here as explorers, somewhat like yourselves. Our intention is to make a thorough study of the depths below, and so our stay here is an indefinite one. We have cleared an area on the level below and claimed it as our base of operations. Any who choose to dispute our claim will be dealt with unsympathetically. Any who respect our occupational rights will be free to travel through our holding and to trade with us and to have our guarantee of safe passage."

"We have healing and magical items to trade and can provide information and access to the lower dungeons, all for a moderate fee of course."

"We are currently returning to our holding after a raiding mission against nearby kobolds, who have also set up home below. Their presence has made our own progress slower than we would prefer. They breed like... well, kobolds. Trying to keep their numbers down is an ongoing challenge."

"We came up the stairs here to investigate after one of our number heard a suspicious noise. I assume that was probably all of you clanking around. You will see, that in the chamber behind us, there is a staircase down to the next level. The place that we currently call home. You are free to take it, however, it will lead you close to kobold territory, so you should be prepared for ambushes."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#209 Post by Antman9 »

[Himmel Soothtel – Human Magic-User] (HP: 3/3) (AC: 10)

"Elves!" Himmel blurts out before gaining control of his mouth. "Ahmm. Very well Elf Maiden Elvaniel Brightblade." Himmel bows slightly, "Parlay away, at your desire."

Himmel keeps a wary eye on the Elf party, staying at the rear of his own party, and mumbles to himself, "Elves...Haughty pains in the..."

EDIT: you beat me to the punch dok-el

EDIT:

Himmel whispers to his fellow adventurers, "This could be a trap, we must be wary. These Elven maids are often silver tongued ludas'. Tread carefully my friends."
Last edited by Antman9 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by Antman9 »

[Werhas Brownbeard – Dwarf Fighter/Thief] (HP: 4/4) (AC: 14)

Werhas holds his head high, stroking his beard, "Hmmmfff! Elvens! GOts nutin I be need. Hmmf!" Werhas ignores the Elf maiden's speech, determined to pretend she and her people don't exist.

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#211 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Arnthorr strokes his chin and replies, "Fortuitous! It seems we work to similar ends. If you permit it, we seek to delve the depths; some of my comrades seek treasure, others work to ecclesiastical - if militant - ends, and I have come in search of esoteric knowledge and to recover any treasures of our folk that have fallen into the wrong hands. Why just the other day, I stumbled on to the corpse of a fellow elf, naught but stones throw from here, felled by harpies I think? I laid some stones atop his corpse in a cairn to keep the crows off of him, but he wouldn't belong to your troupe would he?

In any case, if you would permit us to press on to deeper levels of the labyrinth, it would be welcome to seek respite and refresh ourselves under your protection. Perhaps we can repay the hospitality in some way other than gold, for I think many of us are coin poor at the moment?"
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#212 Post by dok-el »

Elvaniel listens to Arnthorr's words. She looks thoughtful for a moment and then speaks,

"If you wish, seek me out in the underworks below. For each half-dozen pairs of kobold ears that you bring to me I will gift you with a single healing draft. For a dozen more pairs I will allow you free access to an entrance down to one of the lower levels. One that we elves guard and usually reserve for our own use."

"We depart now. Although the stairs down hold no dangers, and you are welcome to make use of them, I advise you not to try to follow us in the tunnels below, as we take a hidden path. One that presents many dangers to the unwary."

The elves suddenly and swiftly begin to depart. In a moment, they are gone from sight, having descended a spiral staircase in the room beyond.

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#213 Post by triplehappiness »

Crenshaw releases the last bit of tension in his bowstring and in his chest with a sigh. "Phew! That was....interesting" he says to no one in particular. He thumps Arthorr on the shoulder heartily with a smile and a nod that says "Well done". Then turns to look to Herbert who is reseating the haft of his mace in his wastebelt and already preparing to head in the direction of the Elf. He halts and waits to see what others will do.

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#214 Post by dok-el »

Behind the open door extends the chamber that the elves emerged from. An investigation reveals a room approximately 20ft by 30ft. The room is largely empty apart for a few old open barrels, each containing several dozen arrows. The arrows are warped and rotten with age and effectively useless. In the south-west corner of the room the elves have left a concealed door open (the door is disguised to match the surrounding wall). Beyond that door is a stairwell containing spiral stairs that lead down into the unknown depths below...
Attachments
stairs1.jpg
stairs1.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 655 times

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#215 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Loman puffs out his chest, "Well that went well . . . I think? At least we don't have to tramp it all the way back to the village every night. How about we check the them other doors and then we move on to the tower?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Zhym »

"Yes," agrees Reginald. "It would be wise to scout the rest of the surface level before descending."

triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#217 Post by triplehappiness »

Crenshaw takes up a position on the next door as he has in the past, 15-20 feet away, arrow knocked.
Herbert moves toward the door to support whoever will be listening/unlocking it.

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#218 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Loman sidles up to the middle door along the south end of the ruined chamber (what had all of the harpies and whatnot and so forth) and places his ear against it listening intently.

Anrthorr knocks an arrow from about 40 feet away from Loman

dok-el
Guide
Guide

#219 Post by dok-el »

Loman the halfling places his ear flush with the surface of the door and listens for any sounds coming from the other side. He hears nothing.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Zorroroaster »

Marcus nocks an arrow in his shortbow and takes up a position next to Crenshaw, covering the door.

Katarina readies her mace and positions herself behind Herbert, stacking up and ready to enter the room should the need arise.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Return to “Castle of the Mad Archmage (S&W)”