Back at the Safe House (G2 - thread 2)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Back at the Safe House (G2 - thread 2)

#21 Post by Zhym »

"As much as I've always wanted a Valyrian for a kite, perhaps levitation isn't the most useful. Still, perhaps a noisy scouting companion is better than traveling alone. All I'd need is not to see one pit or snare, and I'd be stuck. Perhaps someone could help with that magically?"

Gaerys gnaws on some cold rations. "I miss Antheris. There's nothing for scouting in the wild quite like a priest of the old gods—no offense to Flambeau and Arqos."

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by Magnus »

Computer +1 wrote:I assume that Vorsyin would be busy learning spells and unable to go now, correct?
You could go, if everyone went in the afternoon.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin is too busy in concentration to be disturbed. His main task it prepare himself for the next battle. Once finished with his spell prep he makes a careful study of the safehold they are currently in. He works hard to memorize the location and the specifics should he need to teleport to safety.

If he is able to accomplish all this he will then accompany Gaerys on his scouting mission. If not then he will remain at work.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Brax "Eh well I could go with ya we'd be invisible, I can leave ma boar here and go on foot with ya."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Magnus »

[Lorath should make a final decision as to the two people out of him, Brax, and Vor who are going to do a scouting mission?

What is the rest of the party doing? Commune or other divination? Only resting? Are you looking out of the cave or camped strictly within?]

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm & Krom will remain back with the others unless another is needed for scouting they will tend to the oversized boars and guard the cave entrance.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Flambeau stays inside the cave and remains very close to the fire. He sits for a long time staring into the flames and praying to R'hllor. He prays for a full cache of healing spells on the first night and then administers them, trying to get the party back up to full strength.

He then sits with Arqos for a time in hopes of coming up with a new strategy for the next attack.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Cwreando »

Lorath says,"I think it will be best if Gaerys and I go at least based on the spells I can cast. If Vorsyin can cast for himself or others they are welcome to come. Gaerys we should work out some signals so we know where each of us is while invisible. In the wind that may be a challenge and not be noticed."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Cwreando »

Lorath tells the spell casters of the group,"My ring of spell storing holds 13 levels of spells. I currently have 4 levels of spells in it right now. If any of you wish to store any levels in it let me know so we can get them stored before we leave or when I get back we can load it up. @Gaerys - Once we get outside if we get split up on accident, I suggest we come back here or we meet at the beginning of the rift then both come back here together."
Last edited by Cwreando on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by saalaria »

Can you clarify which day the scouting is taking place - is it the day after we arrive - ie the day we use lots of healing or the day after that when we have full spell inventory available?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Magnus »

saalaria wrote:
Can you clarify which day the scouting is taking place - is it the day after we arrive - ie the day we use lots of healing or the day after that when we have full spell inventory available?
It is "the day after"

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 14
Time: 11:00
Weather: 30 degrees (f), moderate wind, heavy snow, visibility ~80'

After some debate, spell memorization, and healing, Lorath and Gaerys set out and reach the entrance to the RIFT. Fully healed, then invisible, the two peer into the maw of the Frost Giant domain.

Heavy snowflakes fall upon their bodies, drawing a moment of realization from the adventurers that their camouflage was just that -- an assistance to their stealth but far from perfect. By the same token, the heavy snow limited visibility to a greater extent than in their first foray. That would work in both directions...though one would wonder whether the native denizens of this environment might be better adapted to it.

In any event, the two heroes can make out that the fireball did, in fact, collapse part of the shelf on which the battle occurred, but the exact contours are difficult to make out. Further, the party does see a number (7 perhaps) of ogre-sized forms working in and around that area, and towards the floor of the Rift itself.

A closer look is necessary to get a clear sense of the damage done by the Mighty Mage and what was happening in the Rift...

The remainder of the party stays put, resting, memorizing spells, and debating tactics for the next assault.

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Brax "Probably shoulda gone back with them ta scout the area. It's almost like navigating our own underground caverns and passages down there."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by saalaria »

"Does anyone have the ring? I can cast Flamestrike into it if so."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As could I if need be. And maybe a major healing spell or two as well?

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Cwreando »

OOC I don't know if we had time to cast the spells into the ring before we left or not.

IC - IF so Lorath gives the rings to the others and says, "Focus on the ring and cast into it the spells you have in mind. It can hold 9 more levels of spells and you cannot cast more than 9 levels into it or bad things will probably happen."

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by Magnus »

You left the ring behind, so others can cast into it.

Are you and Gaerys going deeper into the Rift?

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Cwreando »

I don't feel comfortable posting for my character if Gaerys is tied to my post while he is travelling this weekend.

IC - Lorath quietly tells Gaerys,"Stay here while i go and scout out the damage we did to the right side so we can better judge what might happen on the left side if we employ similar tactics or if that is not accessible then I will scout the left side."

Lorath looks at the geography and topography to identify their current location and checks his gear making sure his crampons are on and get both ice picks in hand just in case. Lorath looks around for any further activity and gauges the best way to get to the first large cave where they used the fire elemental.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by Magnus »

[Understood - let's wait for Gaerys to return.]

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys pauses a long moment for thought.

"We should investigate more closely, but carefully. I don't think it's a good idea for us to travel separately. I will go in front, checking the footing and looking for traps on the way. Follow me, if you will, and keep an eye open for threats while I focus on the terrain. We should start by taking a closer look at yesterday's battleground."

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”