Session 1: Dragon Keep

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 1: Dragon Keep

#281 Post by C. Steven Ross »

RE: sack stacking with rations. Nope.

If you have only one torchbearer, then one of you will be in dim light and, since you haven't declared who that is, I will choose it. And it will be Norgrim. And it will cause his test to fail.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#282 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Strike that, that wouldn't really be fair of me to pull since we've already rolled dice.

But let it emphasize the importance of having light!

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#283 Post by thesniperknight1 »

I do have one empty spot for the tinder box but how can I carry the torch? is my dagger packable? if it is then I can work out something in my equipment or else I would have to throw my dagger away, leaving me unarmed
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#284 Post by C. Steven Ross »

You can hold the dagger in hand (as you are now, put it on a scabbard (tossing away I think s quiver for you), or pack it in a satchel/backpack (tossing away something to make room).

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#285 Post by Enoch »

Don't forget I do have an empty sack. Put something in there and I can carry several with a Laborer test. We don't necessarily need to leave anything behind.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#286 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Oh hell yes, are you loading yourself up with extra weight, Norgrim?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#287 Post by Enoch »

Not while I'm building the ladder, but if need be I will grab a second sack and risk it after.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#288 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Oh yeah of course. You build the ladder and allow Rand to scoop up the rounded stone because you boldly double up with two small sacks in a hand.

Is that what you're doing??

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by Enoch »

I have a large sack, so I'd just stick the small sack in there (taking up 3 slots--two for its contents and one for the sack itself) and carry it in one hand, which I believe can be done with a Laborer test.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#290 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Sho nuff! If successful, you'll be doing something like moving the small sack to the spot in your satchel where the large sack was, putting the large sack in one hand and filling its 6 slots with your mirror, hammer, something from Garen's inventory to allow him to carry a torch, and then 3 more empty slots just waiting to be filled with loot.

Thanks for your patience, guys, for what most gaming systems would consider ticky-tacky boring minutia. But Torchbearer is not like most gaming systems, and this kind of stuff becomes the element that makes or breaks an expedition. Caving is hard.

Onward to adventure!

Norgrim is a ladder building machine and pounds iron spikes into the pre-drilled holes to craft a makeshift ladder, doing so quickly enough to allow everyone time to escape the slowly creeping lava flow. Mark an passed Nature test. BTW I accepted this as within your descriptor of Crafting. There's some juggling involved on the way up, but all the gear of everyone is sorted out.

You guys reach the top area there and look around. You can see a short natural cave tunnel here, the floor pretty level (not inclined up or down). Beyond that you can see that the passage opens up to a much wider chamber with a soaring chamber. There's some sort of big column of stone or something in the middle, too, but it's difficult to get much more info from here.

END TURN 3
2 Turns to End of Session

Heaving a big ol' bag over one shoulder, Norgrim, make an Ob 2 Laborer test.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#291 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Hey I just checked Norgrim's character sheet and we have you listed at Nature 3 / 5 and you rolled dice at the last test that says that you had Nature 4 / 5.

What's the deal? If you made a mistake, how about we take back the check you got from the trait, say you never used the trait, and that would put the numbers back to where they should be.

??

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#292 Post by Enoch »

I made a mistake the first time I tested Nature--I mistakenly calculated that I taxed myself by 2 when I only taxed myself 1. I apparently didn't change my character sheet back. I should have had a Nature of 4. I'll change that.

EDIT: Nope, I really was taxed by 2. Sure, I'll drop the test. Good catch.

For the record, one of the things I really like about Torchbearer is that it's as much about the minutiae of dungeon delving as it is about being awesome combat monsters.

B3 Laborer vs. Ob2: [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 2. I've been really lucky with rolls so far--when the RNG turns on me I'm going to be a hurting puppy!

Norgrim grabs the sack, slings it over one shoulder, and grabs one of the impromptu rungs. "Come on! The sooner we get up the sooner we get out of this death-trap."

EDIT: I forgot to roll for the spike expended: [1d6] = 5 Ouch.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#293 Post by C. Steven Ross »

No worries, glad we cleared up the Nature business.

Oh noes lost almost all your iron spikes! At least you have 1 left.

Bully for you for getting good rolls! Enjoy your victories where you can. Mark a passed Laborer test. Carry around that big sack like a champ.

END TURN 4
Next Turn is End of Session!

Rand & Garen: Burn off a torch from your inventory, please.
All: Stomachs growl and mouths become parched. Gain the Hungry/Thirsty condition.

What now? Onward to the big room ahead? Do something else beforehand?

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#294 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Alright Enoch, I give you my quiver which contains a hammer and 6 iron spikes, a convenient time XD So I can carry the torch, which by the way I dont have so I am assuming I am borrowing one from you or rand?

"That was a close one, dying from lava, that would have been the way to go", Garen laughs. He gets a little closer, not too close, just enough to check if there is anyone in the chamber.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#295 Post by C. Steven Ross »

How do you check if there is anyone? You can't see or hear anyone from here.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rand only has candles (due to me misreading the rules when we were choosing equipment), so you'll need one of Nogrim's. Rand will light a candle, leaving all three of us in bright light.

Rand crested the ledge and flopped down on the rocky floor, thanking the Elders for watching over him and his friends. He also acknowledged the hard work of his friends. Rand was sore and tired, but accepted the challenges to come as he peered cautiously over the ledge, watching the lava engulf the floor.

Feeling the grumbling of his belly, he spoke to Garen. "Well those fresh rations won't last much longer. Should we finish them off before they spoil?"

SK, your fresh rations will spoil at the end of the session, so we should probably eat those now. THen let's head into that chamber! Another instinct check for you!

Steven: How is our location for a quick camp phase? Safe enough to do so, or too exposed/dangerous? We have two checks to burn and now seems like a pretty good time to take advantage of them. (They don't keep until after town, do they?)

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#297 Post by C. Steven Ross »

How do you figure out if this place is safe or not?

Fresh rations spoil at the gates of TOWN, not at end of session.

Checks last until you get to Town or until the end of Camp phase.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#298 Post by Enoch »

Nogrim drains the water from his skin and digs through his satchel, tossing a torch to his companion. He looks around critically, then shrugs. "Seems as good a place to camp as any, if you all are of a mind. I don't care if we press on or not." Norgrim doesn't care because he doesn't have any checks, but I'm happy camping if you all want to.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I didn't know how you were going to work the end of the session, but thought somehow we were going to go straight to town (by a magical means). If we aren't, then I don't mind pressing onwards and just using my preserved rations.

Rand pulled out his preserved rations, gave one portion to Garen - to return the favor from earlier in the adventure - and then ate the last portion himself. He retrieved the tinder box, lit a candle with it and then put it back in his belt pouch.

"Garen, you seem to be eyeing that room. Have a look if you want." He offered to swap the candle for the torch. "Perhaps it holds a clue about the rock we have in my pack."

edit: It might be a good idea to try and rid Garen and Rand of a condition, but I am willing to press ahead instead. It's only a story, after all. :)

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#300 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Hahahah, no. Nothing in this game is easy.

Return to “No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)”