Character Creation

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

AGE GROUP
The first thing to do in creating an Aftermath character is determine your age group. This will determine your base age, free skills and whether or not you will suffer aging effects. After thinking about the type of campaign I want to run, I decided to try and make things simple. Everyone will start at Age Group 5 for purposes of free skills and Development Points. Your actual age can be anywhere from 21 to 39. If you are 30 or younger, your actual Age Group is 1 (base age is 21), otherwise it is 2 (base age is 31.)
  • The character receives doubled initial scores in Literacy, Technology Use, Pre-Ruin Culture, and the player’s choice of 1 Firearm Combat Skill.
  • The character receives initial scores in Survival
  • The player must check the Development Point Table
DEVELOPMENT POINTS
Each character will have some Development Points. These can be used in two ways. They can be used as Skill Points to “buy” Skills or they can be used as Attribute Increase Points to “buy” increases to the character’s Attribute scores.
Each character receives a number of Development Points equal to his base age. These may be split as the player desires between Skill Points and Attribute Increase Points. Players also get to roll on the table below for the chance at additional Development Points and Attribute Increase Points.

DEVELOPMENT POINT TABLE (D10+Age Group)
Roll

Code: Select all

1-3          No increase in points.
4-6          Receive 2D3 Attribute Increase Points.
7-9          Receive 2D5 Development Points.
10-12        Receive 1D5 Development Points and 1D3 Attribute Increase Points.
13-15        Receive 2D5 Development Points and 2D3 Attribute Increase Points.
INITIAL ATTRIBUTE VALUES
The beginning character in Aftermath! receives 75 points to allocate among his Attributes. These are distributed as the player desires among the six Attributes. No score may be less than 1 or more than 40. When the player has decided on the distribution of these points, they should be entered in the Allocated column in the Attribute section of the Character Record Sheet (I am in the process of creating a form fillable character sheet.) The six attributes are Wit (WT), Will (WL), Strength (STR), Deftness (DFT), Speed (SPD), and Health (HLH). In D&D terms, WT is your Intelligence, WL is your Wisdom, STR is of course your Strength, DFT is your Dexterity, and HLH is your Constitution. SPD is basically your reaction time while DFT is closer to hand-eye coordination.

PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE AND TALENTS
The psychological profile of the character gives an initial value to each of his Talents. For each Talent, the player should roll 1D10, consult the table below and enter the result in the Allocated column of the section for Talents on the Character Record Sheet.
The player will then roll 2D6 and add the result to 15. This is the number of Talent Points which he may allocate among the character’s Talents.
Remember that no score may exceed 20. The adjusted scores for the Talents should be entered on the Character Record Sheet.

PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE TABLE (D10)

Die Roll   Talent Initial Rating
1           -2
2-3         -1
4-6          0
7-8          1
9            2
10           3
SKILLS DETERMINATION
At this point the player should decide what Skills the character will possess. Skills are “bought” using Skill points. The “cost” in Skill Points for each Skill is given along with the Skill and its initial score in Appendix 2. A character with insufficient Skill Points to pay the “cost” of the Skill may not begin with that Skill.
A Skill may be “bought” at twice the normal “cost” in order for the character to receive a doubled initial score in that Skill. This is the maximum initial score that a character may have.
Some Skills have Prerequisite Skills. The character must have all Prerequisite Skills with a minimum score of 25 in each if he is to acquire the Skill which has such prerequisites. A character who does not have the Prerequisite Skills or whose score in the Prerequisite Skills is less than 25 is not allowed to begin play with the Skill in question.
The values used for any calculations of an initial score in a Skill are taken from the character’s Allocated Attribute scores and the Allocated Talent scores.
The name of each Skill and the character’s initial score in it should be entered on the Character Record Sheet in the section for Skills.
Attachments
Aftermath Skills.pdf
Skills table showing cost of skill and initial level
(99.05 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Aftermath - Character Sheet.pdf
Non form-fillable character sheet
(43.75 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by ybn1197 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by thesniperknight1 »

I would like to play a prodigy scientist who is a bit weird and lacking in common social skills but since the scientist "class" might be popular and hard to play, I am willing to give it up for a more seasoned player :)
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i have no clue what i wish to play but i am going to work on this now or so i hope. ;) lets see first roll [1d10 +5] = 9+5 = 14
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Antman9 »

Thought I should move my OOC post to this thread:

Expanding on my earlier idea: Special Ops Sniper (Marine Corps) with a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering.

He is middle-aged, graduated high school early and went straight to college where he earned a bachelors in chemical engineering, where he was recruited by the Marine corps for Special Ops. He quickly became fascinated with the idea of being a sniper. After his initial training and several ops in third world countries tracking down terrorist groups planning chemical attacks on European civilian targets, the new smell wearing off quickly, he finished his 1st and only tour of duty and came back to the states where he hired on with a large corporate conglomerate to manage the disposition of toxic waste byproducts, while he completes graduate degree in Chemical Engineering.

Ten years go by, circumventing the system for the sole benefit of the corporate entity. Two failed marriages, no children, and his parents die months apart during this same period. The weight of it all begins to take hold as he takes a hard look life and future. It's immediately clear his skills have led to a rash of low birth weights, birth defects, and various types of cancers in the same kinds of communities and people he grew up with as a kid. A sickness fills his mind day and night, he believes if his parents were alive they would urge him to make a change, and after another long five years he leaves the corporate monster for a small Environmental Engineering firm in Colorado where he spends the next twelve years remediating hazardous waste and ensuring family communities are clean and healthy.

At the age of 45 he meets a representative of the Morrow Project and immediately believes it is what he was born to do. As a bachelor he spends most of his time in the outdoors, climbing, backpacking, and mountain-biking Colorado and surrounding country. He tries to take care of his body; eating healthy and exercising regularly, though not to an extreme, just enough to keep in shape, to keep the cobwebs at bay.

He maintains a few close relationships but not too close. He spends more time with himself than with others and is ok with this lifestyle. If given the choice he would choose silence over conversation and solitary confinement over a loud party. He spends a considerable amount of time reading a wide variety of subject and genres, in both fiction and non-fiction, his favorite being scientific journals, texts, and periodicals. Knowledge is more powerful than any other thing to this man, even love.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

I have no problem with you playing a character over 40, I was just trying to keep "Aging Effects on Attributes" out of the mix. If you are fine with it, I am too. Your Age Group for a 45 year old is "3." WT & WL each get a +2 bonus for free. The other four attributes each get a -1 penalty.

EFFECTS OF AGE ON ATTRIBUTES
At the age of 40 characters begin to show the effects of aging. Once a character reaches 40, he will no longer automatically gain a point when he works to improve an Attribute. At four year intervals beyond that, until he reaches 80, at which time the intervals are reduced to two years, he will undergo a round of aging.

Age Effects
44, 48, 52, 56        +2 to each Mental Attribute; -1 to each Physical Attribute.
60, 64, 68            -2 to each Physical Attribute; a Reaction roll is made and the results are interpreted as follows:
     worse than “Bad” -4 to Mental Attributes
     “Bad“ -2 to Mental Attributes
     “Poor” -1 to Mental Attributes
     “Mediocre” no change to Mental
     “Good” +1 to Mental Attributes
     “Excellent” +2 to Mental Attributes
72, 76                -4 to Physical Attributes; a Reaction roll is made as above to determine the effects on Mental Attributes, a -10 modification is made to the die roll.
80, 82, 84, etc.      -6 to the Physical Attributes; a Reaction Roll is made as above but a -20 modification is made to the die roll.
Modifiers to the Attribute scores are made to each of the Attributes of that type. If any Attribute is reduced to zero or below by the effects of aging, the character is consider to have died from old age.

Looking at the Operation: Morpheus adventure pack, which has a similar starting point as Morrow Project, it is suggested to give characters a number of free skill points equal to their base age. These points can only be used for skills and may be used to triple the starting skill level for up to two skills to show advanced schooling or training in a specific field.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ybn1197 »

Summary of steps for character creation:
  1. Choose Age (make note of base age and group #)
    • Age Group 1 = 22
    • Age Group 2 = 31
    • Age Group 3 = 40
  2. Roll for Development Points (1d10+5)
  3. Roll for Initial Rating in each Talent (1d10)
  4. Roll for total Talent Points (2d6+15)
  5. Put it all together
    • Freebies:
      • doubled initial scores in Literacy, Technology Use, Pre-Ruin Culture, and the player’s choice of 1 Firearm Combat Skill
      • initial scores in Survival
      • base age in points to allocate to skills, one or two of which may be triple initial score
    • 75 points to allocate to attributes
    • base age in developments points which may be allocated to attributes, skills, or (House Rule) talents

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Antman9 »

I found a webpage (Review of Aftermath!) that goes into the basic details fo character creation, acronyms, and combat. Might help a few folks.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15896.phtml

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Antman9 »

I could swear I posted this last night:
Character Sheet
Name:
Background:
Age Group: 2
Base Age: 31
Actual Age: 39
Recognition Factor: 0
Size: 0
Bulk: 0
Looks: 0
Personal ENC:

Attributes (Allocated/Permanent/Current/AST/CST)
WT: (14/18/18/9/6)
WL: (10/12/12/6/4)
STR: (10/12/12/6/4)
DFT: (14/16/16/8/5)
SPD: (15/16/16/8/5)
HLH: (12/12/12/6/4)

General Stats
Learning Rate: 3/1d10
Freely Improvable Skills: 30
STR Group: 2/1d6
Max Number of Actions: 3
Base Action Phase: 8
Phases Consumed in Action: 2
Combat Dodge Ability: 1.6
Healing Rate: 2/1d6
Shock Factor: 10
Damage Resistance: 24

Talents (Base/Allocated/Current)
Charismatic: (0/4/4)
Combative: (2/3/5)
Communicative: (1/1/2)
Esthetic: (0/1/2)
Mechanical: (1/5/6)
Natural: (2/2/4)
Scientific: (1/8/9)

Weapons

Armor

Encumbrance
Gear

Skills (Score/BCS)
Off-Hand DEX: (-/10)
Basic Research (38/7)
Botony (40/8)
Chemistry (21/4)
Climbing (34/6)
Decontamination (37/7)
Firearms Repair, Modern (39/7)
First Aid (32/6)
Handloading (40/8)
Knife (38/7)
Lab Technique (25/5)
Literacy (45/9)
Mathematics (40/8)
Physics (31/6)
Pre-Ruin Culture (33/6)
Rifle, Modern (43/8)
Search (40/8)
Simple Explosives (43/8)
Stealth (40/8)
Survival (29/5)
Tactics (33/6)
Technology Use (31/6)
Two Weapon (40/8)
Zoology (33/6)

Character Rolls

Development Points
Development Points [1d10+5] = 8+5 = 13

Talent Points
Talent Points [2d6+15] = 9+15 = 24

Development Point Table Rolls
DPT: Development Points [2d5] = 8, Attribute Points [2d3] = 3

Base Talents
Charismatic [1d10] = 6
Combative [1d10] = 9
Communic. [1d10] = 8
Estetic [1d10] = 6
Mechanical [1d10] = 7
Natural [1d10] = 9
Scientific [1d10] = 8

Off-Hand Dexterity
Off-Hand Dex [2d3] = 2

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Antman9 »

ypn1197,

Can you expand a little on the "Standard Equipment" section?

I'm getting anxious to start playing, but I still have a little ways to go on my character sheet. I need to browse through the rule books again. I'm not apposed to playing a second character if we need more bodies. If so I think I'd play a female character, but I'm not set on that. I'd be happy to fill any needed skill slots. Just let me know.

Everyone,

How is everyone else coming along? If anyone needs assistance I would be happy to help out/clarify if I can. The rules can be a bit confusing at times, I'm still trying to figure them out myself. But I will help as much as I can.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Character Sheet
Name:Science Kid (for now)
Background:
Age Group: 1
Base Age: 21
Actual Age: 29
Recognition Factor: ?
Size: ?
Bulk: ?
Looks: ?
Personal ENC:

WT: (19/20/20/10/7)
WL: (11/13/13/6/4)
STR: (7/8/8/4/3)
DFT: (14/17/17/8/6)
SPD: (13/13/13/6/4)
HLH: (11/13/13/6/4)

General Stats
Learning Rate: 3/1d10
Freely Improvable Skills: 33
STR Group: 1/1d3
Max Number of Actions: 3/1d10
Base Action Phase: 6
Phases Consumed in Action: 2
Combat Dodge Ability: 1.5
Healing Rate: 2/1d6
Shock Factor: 10
Damage Resistance: 23

Talents (Base/Allocated/Current)
Charismatic: (0/1/1)
Combative: (1/2/3)
Communicative: (-1/3/2)
Esthetic: (-2/0/-2)
Mechanical: (0/5/5)
Natural: (3/1/4)
Scientific: (1/9/10)

Weapons

Armor

Encumbrance
Gear

Skills (Score/BCS)
Off-Hand DEX: (-/12)
Basic Research (50/10)
Computer Design (35/7)
Computer Science (35/7)
High Technology Use (42/8)
Literacy (84/16) [Double initial right?
Mathematics (32/6)
Pistol, modern (80/16) the choice of one firearm skill with double initial right?
Pre-Ruin Culture (40/8)Double initial right?
Survival (60/12)Double initial right?
Technology Use (84/16)Double initial right?

Character Rolls

Development Points
Development Points: [1d10+1] = 8+1 = 9

Talent Points
Talent Points: [2d6+15] = 6+15 = 21

Development Point Table Roll: [2d5] = 10

Base Talents
Charismatic: [1d10] = 5
Combative: [1d10] = 7
Communication: [1d10] = 3
Ecstatic: [1d10] = 1
Mechanical: [1d10] = 5
Natural: [1d10] = 10
Scientific: [1d10] = 8

Off-Hand Dexterity
Off-Hand Dexterity: [2d3] = 6
Last edited by thesniperknight1 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by thesniperknight1 »

I took your formatting Antman, hope you don't mind and thanks for the website, it helped a lot. This might help too http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?684 ... math-rules .

I filled what I could from what YBN said and going around the internet, not sure though about the stats of skills and if I added everything correctly, there is a tornado of numbers in my head :? . Antman, you and I both have the mathematics skill but I think I measured it differently somehow, not sure if I am right or not.

Also the skills, are the skills you listed in the first post free with double initial or do I have to pay for them? And do I get a number of free skills to learn or do I just use the development points I have and that's it?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Mister-Kent »

It helps a lot to see a finished sheet like that--:) I resolve to finish mine this weekend!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Antman9 »

Its all good thesniperknight1. MW is planning to do the same thing. I'll holler at him on Sunday and light a fire under his bum. Heehee

I'm going to try and lay out the process of character creation with formulas and everything this weekend, for when I create my next character, because I'm fairly certain I've forgotten a couple of things already. I'm also working on an excel spreadsheet to automatically calculate everything.

I found this website that will create a character for you. It also has DM tools as well. It rolls all the dice for you. I kind of like to roll my own dice, well via US, and do my own calculations. Gives me a better feel for my character.http://i314.org/

I'll post more later. I have to go pick up my books for next semester and run some errands.

Cheers!

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Thanks, I would have been really lost without that formatting XD

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Mister-Kent »

This is in progress -- it helps me to see it laid out like this :D

Character Sheet
Name: Ellis Washburne
Background:
Actual Age: 34
Recognition Factor: ?
Size: ?
Bulk: ?
Looks: ?
Personal ENC:

WT: (0/0/0/0/0)
WL: (0/0/0/0/0)
STR: (0/0/0/0/0)
DFT: (0/0/0/0/0)
SPD: (0/0/0/0/0)
HLH: (0/0/0/0/0)

General Stats
Learning Rate: ?
Freely Improvable Skills: ?
STR Group: ?
Max Number of Actions: ?
Base Action Phase: ?
Phases Consumed in Action: ?
Combat Dodge Ability: ?
Healing Rate: ?
Shock Factor: ?
Damage Resistance: ?

Talents (Base/Allocated/Current) << DONE
Charismatic: (0/4/4)
Combative: (1/4/5)
Communicative: (1/3/4)
Esthetic: (0/3/3)
Mechanical: (-1/4/3)
Natural: (1/3/4)
Scientific: (2/3/5)

Weapons

Armor

Encumbrance
Gear

Skills (Score/BCS)
Off-Hand DEX: (0/0)
Basic Research (0/0)
Computer Design (0/0)
Computer Science (0/0)
High Technology Use (0/0)
Literacy (0/0)Double initial right?
Mathematics (0/0)
Pistol, modern (0/0) the choice of one firearm skill with double initial right?
Pre-Ruin Culture (0/0)Double initial right?
Survival (0/0)Double initial right?
Technology Use (0/0)Double initial right?

Character Rolls

Development Points
Development Points: [1d10+5] = 1+5 = 6

Talent Points
Talent Points: [2d6+15] = 9+15 = 24

Development Point Table Roll: [2d5] = 10

Base Talents
Charismatic: [1d10] = 6
Combative: [1d10] = 7
Communicative: [1d10] = 8
Esthetic: [1d10] = 4
Mechanical: [1d10] = 3
Natural: [1d10] = 8
Scientific: [1d10] = 9

Off-Hand Dexterity
OffHand Dex: [2d3] = 4
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Antman9 »

Mr-Kent,
The process is quite long isn't it? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. Doesn't help that work is trying to kill me right now and Spring classes start on Monday either :)

thesniperknight1,

Thanks for the link. There was a lot of good stuff in there. I had glanced at that page previously but for some reason I missed all the info there.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I'm going to use the same excuse as Antman and say work has been kicking my ass, switching school with "life outside work" as that has also been annoying.

I'll get a character sheet posted within the next day or two.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ybn1197 »

Sounds good to me. I realize it is a long process as far as character creation goes and that you are new to this. We'll start when everyone is ready.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ybn1197 »

Is everyone still interested in this game? There are no hard feelings if not. I know I am still waiting for a character sheet from MonkeyWrench. Is there anything anyone is waiting for from me?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I'm sorry for the hold up, I have everything laid out via character sheet, just need to get the time to roll and then do all of the math. So far I have the talents done and slowly (much more slowly than I want) am working through the rest of the book to get everything rolled out.

I'll post what I have so far though. I really don't want to hold people back so if everyone want's to the game can start, I'm sure people can find me in a vat or something :lol:
Character Sheet
Name: Terry White
Background: WIP
Actual Age: 34
Recognition Factor: 0
Size: 0
Bulk: 0
Looks: 0
Personal ENC:

WT: (15/18/18/?/?)
WL: (10/10/10/?/?)
STR: (14/15/15/?/?)
DFT: (12/13/13/?/?)
SPD: (12/13/13/?/?)
HLH: (12/14/14/?/?)

General Stats
Learning Rate: 3/1d10?
Freely Improvable Skills: ?
STR Group: 2/1d6?
Max Number of Actions: ?
Base Action Phase: ?
Phases Consumed in Action: ?
Combat Dodge Ability: ?
Healing Rate: 2/1d6?
Shock Factor: ?
Damage Resistance: ?

Talents (Base/Allocated/Current) =25 Points
Charismatic: (?/?/?)
Combative: (?/?/?)
Communicative: (?/?/?)
Esthetic: (?/?/?)
Mechanical: (?/?/?)
Natural: (?/?/?)
Scientific: (?/?/?)

Weapons

Armor

Encumbrance
Gear

Skills (Score/BCS)
Off-Hand DEX: (?/?)
Basic Research (?/?)
Botony (?/?)
Chemistry (?/?)
Climbing (?/?)
Decontamination (?/?)
Firearms Repair, Modern (?/?)
First Aid (?/? )
Handloading (?/?)
Knife (?/?)
Lab Technique (?/?)
Literacy (?/?)
Mathematics (?/?)
Physics (?/?)
Pre-Ruin Culture (?/?)
Rifle, Modern (?/?)
Search (?/?)
Simple Explosives (?/?)
Stealth (?/?)
Survival (?/?)
Tactics (?/?)
Technology Use (?/?)
Two Weapon (?/?)
Zoology (?/?)
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Return to “What if there is no tomorrow? (Aftermath!)”