Chapter:1 Home sweet Gnome!

Synthalus
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter:1 Home sweet Gnome!

#221 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zen "I think we best meet tha assassin first. To tha Tavern it is lads." with his finger pointed and arm outstretched like a general pointing and giving orders on the word "Tavern" "Sides I could use another ale bout now."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#222 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

The four companions make their way through the crowed gnomish low quarter streets full of beggars, trash, and disparity to the doors of the Dragon's Piss Tavern. There is a crude sign hanging over the door depicting a dragon with its hind leg raised pissing on a tree like a dog. As the companions approach the door two drunken gnomes come staggering out into the street fighting with each other an pass them by. Once inside the Dragon's Piss the companions understand were it gets its name rather quickly as the first thing they notice is the overwhelming scent of stale piss and vomit. There is a gnome with a guitar sitting in one corner singing a rather sad dirge and the patrons all stop to see who the newcomers are for only a moment and then go back to the drinks. Zendur is the first to notice to door to the left of the bar counter that has the thief sign for private room carved into it. The bartender notices the dwarf eyeing the door and reaches back to pull a cord hanging from the ceiling behind the bar. A moment later fifteen or so dwarven slavers emerge from the door and encircle the group ordering all patrons to leave the Dragon's piss as they do so. A moment after that a rather short looking elf clad in magnificent Stubbed leather armor made from what appears to be shadow dragon scales and armed with a wicked looking short sword enters the circle and introduces himself;

EUSTICE VICAR

Eustice bows deeply and then straightens himself out and addresses the companions;
" Welcome to my humble establishment gentlemen, I have heard much about you already. I am Eustice Vicar Master Assassin and slave market entrepreneur extraordinaire at your service. I am deeply sorry about the funny business that happened earlier, my men got a little zealous when they saw slaves of your caliber in this city. The went a step to far when they tried to capture you. The two that escaped your clutches have been dealt with personally. I have heard that you outsmarted that cunning dolt of a chief thief Sten and have taken over his operation is this correct? If so this makes us neighbors and I will make you a proposal if you would hear it?
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#223 Post by Synthalus »

GM
Saph can make a Intelligence Check to discover what kind of elf Eustice Vicar is. Zendur can make a Wisdom Check to discover which of the slavers is their captain.

NOTE
All patrons have left the tavern including the bartender and the group is surrounded by blood thirsty slavers beholden to a Devilishly powerful Kraken. They are speaking with a strangely short elf equipped to the teeth with magical gear. It doesn't take much to realize that this elf is out of place in this scenario and further investigation of his roll in this slaver organization is recommended but not necessary for this adventure.

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#224 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur
Wisdom 13: [1d20] = 8
Eyes the lot and keeps on the awareness side ready to strike should need be. He will go down fighting as any good dwarf would. Thinking a bit while taking in the elf's words and the sight before them. Stroking his beard. "Sten aye we've out smarted that one and his dolt o' a lacky Bruno. Lucky we managed ta earn two of tha smarter thieves in his lot. They've been good ta us." pausing a moment "So long as ya aint gonna kill us where we sit, call off yer dogs an we can talk civil like." the dwarf pushes a empty chair out with his left booted foot. Nods towards the chair. "Ere sit n' we can talk."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#225 Post by Synthalus »

GM

The Dwarf to the right of Eustice is wearing what appears to be a medal of some kind pinned to his leather armor above his left breast pocket. This medal stands out in stark contrast to the rest of the dwarven slavers making him someone of importance among them.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#226 Post by Synthalus »

EUSTICE VICAR

Eustice smiles at the dwarf's audacity and snaps a finger. The dwarven slavers grumble amongst themselves and the abruptly leave the taverns common room the same way they came in. Eustice motions for the dwarf to sit in the seat he has moved and pulls a bar stool over to sit on.

" ill play your little game Zendur GravelBeard. I have nothing to hide or to be afraid of. Saphjawx Melarn is it dark elf? your a far way from your home aren't you, what makes your tread the surface world with the company of dwarves? No matter, I have a proposal for the two of you as I mentioned before.

I do prefer thieves cant whenever I need to convey serious business amongst brothers of the shadowy art. My proposal is this, I am trying to start my own Assassin's guild in this city and Brother Sten was opposed to my venture. He didn't mind me gaining wealth from slave trading with the dread Kraken Slytherion but killing folks for money apparently was not ok with him. Since you are the new Guild Masters I pose the same proposal to you that I gave him. I will build my guild in sharp contrast to your own making it a guild of its own. My Assassin will not interfere with your thieving operations what so ever only fulfill contracts. Since your guild has been established here for quite some time I am willing to pay a small tribute for a short time lets say two years of 2000GP to your guild for operating rites within your city. I will go so far as to grant each of you one free kill from myself for this right to sweeten the pot. The dread kraken Sytherion is merely a backer of my ambitions and thusly I have agreed to help him gain a number of new slaves for his slave pens nothing more. What say you to this proposal?

" I promise you that should you decline you will live to regret it. You killed Sten before I could slay him myself and I thank you. But make no mistake without Sten it will be easy for me to slaughter your guild and take over this city for myself. Out of respect for your profession and what you have done for me I have not done so already. Evil as I may be I respect the law and will abide by it in this you have my word. But if you think that you can best me in open guild warfare you are mistaken. You have no doubt noticed my short stature, let me enlighten you. I am a Grugach elf, I killed my tribal chieftain for abusing me and half my tribe upon my escape. I traveled to the city of pandathaway (city of thieves) and learned my trade there over many years. I have many contacts there among the college of wizards so I know everything about you and why you are here. I will tell you only once, you want me as your friend. I can do things you cannot and I ask little in return. "

Eustice stands up and kicks the stool hard out of the way. Then draws his +3 Short Sword of Backstabbing and levels it at Zendur, the real threat amongst the two Chief thiefs of Gnome Vale.

" Give me your answer or die Zendur GravelBeard. Oh I'm sorry you'll die too Saphjawx Melarn where are my manners."

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#227 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur "We both know the slavers shouldn't be here. I play no games I assure ya." the back in cant as the assassin wishes. "Come now we both know that the contracts alone pay more n that. Surely you know there are other fees to pay aside from operating costs. Not sure what me partner here thinks just yet. But I ain't for allowin slavin round here, Sten was a fool to agree to that much I assure ya. I have less issues with contract killin than I do for allowin salvers ta roam the same streets. Theivin and killin just come with tha job. I knowed that much for many years. Tella yah what if we agree ta this agreement. Make the tribute 2500 gp fer the two years after that no more tribues less yah feel like it. But this slave trade needs ta go. If backin is what yah need we can provide that much." looking back to Saph for some insight as to what the dark elf is thinking. A but unsure of this arrangement or if declining it is wise at all.

"We both know Sten would have died soon enough just from spendin time with Bruno on his side. Neither one of us three would need ta have killed Sten. His fools court woulda done it eventually. Take stupid risks and ye pay a price eventually. After all how wise could Sten have been with some of the company he kept so close ta imself?"

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#228 Post by Synthalus »

EUSTICE VICAR

Eustice looks at Zendur fondly and sheaths his magnificent short sword an says;

"Saph need not speak, I know that Zendur really run the thieves guild despite what Saph might think and I except your terms. The slaving will remain in the low quarter I assure you amd the authorities will be none the wiser even if Elfrich has been tipped off. Elfrich is an old gnome and knows nothing of the new ways of the world. He is easily manipulated I assure you, worry not.

"Eustice snaps his fingers and a young gnome rushes up with a 200 year old bottle of Whiskey. Might I interest you gentlemen with a toast to our new found partnership?"
Last edited by Synthalus on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#229 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur looks at the bottle a bit disgusted "Not ta offend ya. But I don't drink that rot gut. I stick to dwarf ales, meads, and some times the shine. Not sure if there is a place in this gnome city that even makes dwarf shine."

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#230 Post by Synthalus »

Eustice Vicar

Eustice tells the gnome to bring the finest dwarven ale from his collection.

" That can be arranged friend dwarf! I have a dwarven ale from the city of Grogmish before its fall to the drow. Its 1200 years old I hope that suits your fancy? I am willing to part with it as we have an agreement? There are only three hundred bottles of such ale known to exist and I am willing to share mine with you. So please consider my offer as sincere.

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#231 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur "I take it as sincere I just know the trade of an assassin if you wish me dead surely there is more n just yer blade you might do so by poisons I've known plenty a assassins that prefer that method. We are the trickster rogues we both know there aint much honor among thieves. I am wary of yah as I am sure you may be of us. Then again perhaps not. Yah must know I am always slightly un-trusting of others in our occupations. We both drink from the same bottle no glasses, fair enough?"

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#232 Post by Synthalus »

Eustice Vicar

" Fair enough!"

Eustice drinks deeply from the bottle that the gnome fetches from his cellar before pouring two healthy mugs full of the brackish brown liquid.

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#233 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur drinks from the bottle. wisdom or intelligence check taking the bottle and making it look like Zen takes a long swig of the bottle but her really presses his tongue to the bottle mouth can he tell if there is a poison within the bottle?

INT 12: [1d20] = 18
:shock:
WIS 13: [1d20] = 7

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#234 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

The ale tastes magnificent. like nothing that Zendur has ever tased before. Hands down the best dwarven ale he has ever been able to drink in his life. He begins to think that this Grugach elf as he calls himself is talking the truth. He may me a great ally in the thieves guild business.

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#235 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur fully sure the drink is safe takes another delightful swing. Then switches to the mug set before him. "Great stuff you have ere. Still think ya would be better off dumpin the slavers, but thats just me humble opinion."

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#236 Post by Synthalus »

EUSTICE VICAR
"I personally agree that the taking of slaves is not acceptable but the Kraken provides me woth th monetary means to establish my guild as long as I entertain her slave trade. Once my assasins guild is up and running I assure you that we can run this lot out of the picture. But first I need the backing of the thieves guild and powerful thieves such as yourselves to back my claim. If not I alone cannot stop the kraken an must allocate myself to her whims in order to establish my guild here in gnome vale, surly you understand?

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#237 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur "Oh aye. I understand entirely. After all I have ta try n run a guild, plus pay off the authorities. Prevent an uprising from Sten's kin. Stay on yer good side. Deal with some orcs now n go on this quest ta please Sotha Sil. But wait a minute yer offerin a couple contracts on the house fer us takin the deal right? Perhaps you can do a favor then use one of em ta take out the orc leader it very well may save me the trouble of havin ta take on the whole orc horde." the dwarf takes another deep long drink of the perfectly aged dwarf ale.

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#238 Post by Synthalus »

Eustice Vicar

" Consider him dead and a debt paid Zendur. But I don't think that it will stop the orc tribe. They still have a shaman that can organize them. Unless saph orders me to take him out as well. Besides they will elect a new leader within a months time and start terrorizing the country side again. You will only delay the inevitable.

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#239 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zendur "Well hold now. I said that or Sten's offspring as I understand it he had a son in the guild that might try n take me n Saph down or turn the guild against us. So that may be a lesser task that I'd be able ta handle meself. The orc tribe is more a major pain in me arse. Something extra i don't care ta deal with at all. Less you wanna take the slavers to em. That'd be more n just gnome slaves for their master's desires. Don't go callin it a deal just yet. Allow me to think it over. Less you got better ideas. I really don't want ta waste months fighting a tribe a orcs. I'd much rather pillage this temple we came here for an get back to business here."

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#240 Post by Synthalus »

EUSTICE VICAR

" I am willing to fight this tribe of orcs with your company of the jagged rose for slaves and prestige however killing their leader must be a task given by you Zendur or Saph. I can make a fancy profit off of this orc tribal war but what is in it for you Zendur? You'll forgive my curiosity I'm sure. As far as Sten's offspring is concerned he will be no trouble at all. Last I heard he is a fledgling thief at best, no sooner able to take over the guild as a common cut purse could. He will be your obedient servant or die I'm sure of it."
Last edited by Synthalus on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “The Forgotten Temple of Thurizdun (1e)”