Session 0: Character Creation

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 0: Character Creation

#201 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just want you to know I am here and ready to post, but I am waiting on superknight to react: either on his instinct or otherwise. If he doesn't post by the end of tomorrow, I'll respond to Enoch's query. Which I had seriously not considered! (Which seems so foolish considering the name of the dungeon! :lol: )

I wonder what a dragon egg is worth in town! Beds and good food for all, I hope!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus: we have 2 tinder boxes as is, so you could bring something else instead. More torches, maybe?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Marullus »

If I'm allowed to do so by the GM, sure. :)

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#204 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Yep, we're still hashing out the details of your character, and you are totally allowed to converse and strategize with your team of adventurers for starting inventory.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

When we first formed up we had a paladin and I didn't like the notion. Now, seeing your paladin, I have changed my mind! It'll be nice to have another decent fighter, but one with some skills that match my own. :) I also like the background of him carrying his grandfather's bone around his neck! :lol:

One thing to note is that your mentor's name is the same as what we are calling demons. :P

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by Enoch »

No
Rusty Tincanne wrote:When we first formed up we had a paladin and I didn't like the notion. Now, seeing your paladin, I have changed my mind! It'll be nice to have another decent fighter, but one with some skills that match my own. :) I also like the background of him carrying his grandfather's bone around his neck! :lol:

One thing to note is that your mentor's name is the same as what we are calling demons. :P
Now THAT would be a wild concept--a paladin mentored by demons!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#207 Post by C. Steven Ross »

YES DO IT THAT WOULD BE AWWWWWWWESOME

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Marullus »

Eeeep! :oops:

Lets change it to Diedre. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Marullus »

I changed the name to Diedre. If she's a demon, I don't know it. :)

I changed the Tinderbox for another four torches. Does the equipment all work, now?

I need help brainstorming an Instinct. I need more familiarity with Torchbearer and value any input from the group to help me learn. I could gather herbs with Pathfinder when outdoors. I could perform anti-demon rituals when we camp. I could... I don't know. Help?
Rusty Tincanne wrote:When we first formed up we had a paladin and I didn't like the notion. Now, seeing your paladin, I have changed my mind! It'll be nice to have another decent fighter, but one with some skills that match my own. :) I also like the background of him carrying his grandfather's bone around his neck! :lol:
Thanks! :D

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by Enoch »

"Always parley prior to combat" plays to your strong skills. I honestly struggled with my Instinct, simply because I didn't have many skills that worked well as reactions. However, if you can't find a skill you have that works well with an Instinct, you could write an Instinct that triggers off a skill you don't have. It's unconventional, but it's an interesting way to generate tests for a new skill...

Heck, you could write an Instinct to teach your companions a useful skill (Mentor) whenever you make camp (enter the Camp phase).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Marullus »

Enoch wrote:"Always parley prior to combat" plays to your strong skills.
He's not really the 'parlay' type. :)

I thought of....
"Always ward the area against demons when people sleep." (Ritualist test)
"Always pray for courage when we make Camp." (free test to recover from afraid, if afraid)
"Always attack, loudly, in the name of my Gods." - can I use Oratory to cause an Afraid condition or an advantage when entering battle?
"Always pick herbs when in the outdoors." - Free check for Pathfinder which creates items/tools to aid Healing. More boring, but functional.

Where can I find better examples of what Ritualist or Theologian are for?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by Enoch »

Ritualist is, I believe, used pretty much exclusively for casting spells. Theologian is used to memorize spells and for clerical knowledge in general. Maybe something about considering what your faith may say about a creature when meeting a creature for the first time?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

@ Enoch: Would that last test be more of a Hunter test? Knowledge of monsters/beasts?

@ Marullus: If you want to take my instinct, I would take "Always charm creatures upon first meeting them." That would definitely be in my character's character. I've thought about switching it anyhow.

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#214 Post by C. Steven Ross »

The Skills & Factors chapter has a pretty good breakdown of what does what. Also, the skills post summarizes that all for you - viewtopic.php?f=190&t=3742

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As we get started, I was hoping to clarify instincts. I made an offer for Marullus to take "always make poultices when making camp," and I would switch to, "always charm creatures/beasts upon first encountering them" (persuader test, I believe). Is this still allowable? Does marullus want to, even?

Glad to see we are up and running again! Woohoo!

C. Steven Ross
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#216 Post by C. Steven Ross »

Yeah Im cool with you guys adjusting your Instincts if you want.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: I made an offer for Marullus to take "always make poultices when making camp," and I would switch to, "always charm creatures/beasts upon first encountering them" (persuader test, I believe).
Sure. I'll do that.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We'll give that a try for this session then. I'll update my character sheet later when I am not supposed to be doing dishes. :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Marullus »

I took the recommended goal of "recover a lost dahakaan relic" - in our initial conversations, I decided to take inspiration from templars and that he has a vow of poverty and a mendicant lifestyle. Recovering goods for its own sake is not a goal I see within his character. Since we're still at the beginning, can I change that to something more fitting his mendicant warrior lifestyle?
"Learn from the ancient bindings of this place" would be my preference. It can either be GM's discretion based on story, or that Theology advances. If I need to stay closer to what I had, "Recover items through the Light Lord's providence sufficient to replace my armor" might work? Thoughts? If I need to keep the original goal, then I'll just hope that the relic is worth enough to the church to get what he needs to continue his quest. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

*Grabs a bag of popcorn and stis back to watch*

I am loving the banter between Garen and Ulrich. I can see that taking the place of our adventure... Like a local TV station program. :lol:

And I wasn't going to actually follow the goblins' advice! I was just wondering what they'd tell us... An area to avoid where there might be more of them. Jut because Rand believe all creatures should have a chance to advance his cause doesn't mean that he thinks they will always help him. Using them as cannon-fodder is a nice way for them to work towards helping the world. ;) So let's make them open the door!

Return to “No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)”