Chapter One; Saviors or Foes?

cscott
Strider
Strider

Chapter One; Saviors or Foes?

#1 Post by cscott »

I have never seen a more pitiful creature. Hands tightly tied behind his back, with his head bowed low. No will to resist seemed to be left to him. He was kneeling in the snow with only perhaps a few inches of the white stuff upon the ground. It was not particularly cold this night, but the captive Elf was still shivering uncontrollably. I assume it is an elf, slight of build, shrouded in a cloak that almost encompassed his whole body. Typical, looking like a child dressed in clothes too big for him. And those ears, those unmistakable ears, tapered like a pointed leaf. I know he must be a Drow, for none of his surface cousins have walked land above alive for more than fifty years. The chance for surprise is now lost, stupid horse, grunting, snorting, and shifting under my weight. I can clearly see the fresh foot prints in the snow, winding and leading away from the tied little prisoner, in different flanking directions. Flexing my gauntleted hand ever so slightly around my sword, pulling it gently a few inches from the scabbard, this to ensure that it will not stick at the moment it is needed. I have already dropped my reigns and with horse expertly guided by my plated knees, I confidently move the beast ahead, towards the prisoner. He stares straight at me, not moving from his kneeling position. Oddly, his breathing has not increased. He seems remarkably calm, how unexpected. I stare back, which I realize was a mistake the moment the crossbow bolt impacted upon my left shoulder plate armour. Both our heads turn in the direction of the twang, the sound that had pre-cursed the crossbow bolt. Out of the corner of my right eye, I can see the slow curl of a smile on his Elven face. Not so helpless after all, a thought that suddenly comes to me. With a heavy sigh, I expertly shove myself from the stolen steed, landing heavily with plated knees flexed, and feet spread in a defensive stance. Without even looking I now know the crossbow bolt, that had hit my shoulder a moment before, did not even penetrate my armour. My horse, with another quick glance over the back of my shoulder, has started to leave me, in the direction probably leading back to the farm from which he had been taken. Oh well, useless beast. Not even trained for war as a proper mount should. I wait. With snow falling around me, I prepare for the assault that never comes. I suddenly realize that I cannot let them choose the ground for battle, so I stride forward to the still kneeling Elf. One, two, three long plated strides, and by my measured fourth the supposed prisoner is standing. I am still another five strides away. My mind races trying to put together a thinkable last moment strategy, for I am now faced with the possibility of a carefully sprung trap. Another stride, and the former prisoner has a dagger in hand, another stride and a short sword has joined the dagger. Neither weapon is particularly dangerous, but in skilled hands, they can mount a formidable defense, attack, or both. Three more strides to go, and the excitement in me is building. The Chaos in battle is the only thing that makes sense to me, the only thing that brings order to my chaotic mind. With a flick of my shoulder, my second Katana hilt slides slightly down, far enough for me to draw at a run. Surprise flickers across his Elven face, probably both at the fact I now have two swords drawn, and the fact he does not recognize the make of the blades. In that instant, with only two more strides before our collision of swords and bodies, our eyes have locked. In that moment of clarity, I knew he was not the enemy, and I knew that he has realized the same. In a paired sequence, we both changed our stances to complement each other. In battle harmony, that should have been perfected over hours of training together, we went back to back. Both with an opposite sword held high, and another weapon low, so as to not interfere with the swings of the other. I could feel a sudden increase in warmth through my thigh, being this close proximity to the child Elf had set the device off. He is definitely the one I seek, the one I hunt, but for the moment, he is intuitively my most trusted ally. An odd time to reflect, but sometimes I have no idea how my own mind works. It is one of the main reasons I work alone. We both pause holding our battle stances, which is then followed by some eerie snow falling silence. Both of us are now breathing heavily. My face forms a visage of disgust; I was doing the running, what in the hell is the Elf breathing heavy for? Such a weak people, even their underground cousins should have died off a long time ago. I breathe in the smell from my Human leather lining of my plate mail; the scent was probably pushed into the air from my laborious running. Another species that will soon be extinct, but they have been saying that also for the last fifty years, with the Humans somehow barely hanging on by a thread. The silence suddenly breaks as another Elven form dashes from the cover of the forest, running directly towards me. The adversary’s feet barely making a crunch in the snow. This will not end well, not end well for him anyways. I can tell just from his gait, that he is trained, but not well enough. The cloaked figure swings a slim glittering short sword aim low, and I swing with my single straight bladed Katana aim high. I do not even bother moving; trusting in my plate to absorb whatever blow may land from this feeble creature with the odd prancing way of his run. His short sword never even connects, as I take his head. The almost sphere rolling through the air with the hood of his cloak still neatly encompassing his face. At that moment, I turn and notice that my new companion has also dispatched his opponent. Not as dramatic, but a still effective full thrust of a short blade straight through the abdomen. What a painful way to die I reflect. Another cloaked Elf by the looks of it, and a very dead one at that. Strange, I have now seen more Elves in the last ten minutes than I have seen in my entire life time. I turn my head to face him, our eyes lock for a second time, and without hesitation, we both slide our bloodied swords back into their scabbards.

“I am Daemon Bliss“, the wretched Elven creature states with extended hand and a weird lopsided grin.

Crossing my arms, I neither return the physical, nor verbal introduction.

I need no introduction

The sudden awkward silence is broken; only by another rider and horse entering the clearing. So my traveling companion has finally caught up, and sporting a sheepish grin to boot. He is too good looking for an Orc, almost unnatural. So far he has been trust worthy, trustworthy to run the other way.

He is very un-Orc like.

Great, I know he is about to speak, because his mouth is already open.
“Daemon Bliss, I could hear your name being spoken as I approached the clearing! My name is Task, Random Task at your service”, he states with a flourished bow from his horses saddle.

I scowl very un-Orc like, very un-Orc like indeed.
Last edited by cscott on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter One; Saviors or Foes?

#2 Post by Majik »

Looking from Task to this… Drow Bliss, Sus thinks to himself ‘Great, another mouth to feed’, then Sus laughs at the joke only he heard.

“Spell casters… I don’t know why you introduce yourselves when you always give false names.”Then he pauses, as if listening to someone close by… though there is nobody close by… then says "Damn it, I rolled a 5".

Walking back towards where his horse went Sus says over his shoulder to Bliss "What’s in a name… yada-yada-yada. Welcome to D.Horsemen."
Last edited by Majik on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everyday I'm hustlin, everyday I'm hustlin
Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by grey_starr »

Task asks the group... So, is this the right place? ... keeping slightly behind the bulk of Sus ... and hoping they may get a good rest this night.
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Majik »

Sus looks back with a degree of amusement, "Watch out Rand… there is a small spider over on the tree over younder… better limber up and stretch out the calf muscles before you run for the hills". Sus laughs to some random forest animal as if it understands.
Last edited by Majik on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sketch21
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by sketch21 »

"You have my gratitude friends. Wasn't long that I took to the surface that these drow bandits assailed me. Horrid little creatures (kicks one of them away). Rest assured not all drow are as uncivilized as them (bow, tips hat to the two)."

"There must be a town nearby, it will be my pleasure to treat my saviors to a round of ale! I am just a simple traveler much like yourselves and I would appreciate the company."

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Majik »

A simple traveller... `ya right`... Sus thinks. `Why the great author of this narrative had to saddle me with these odd beings' "Good point." Sus says out loud, "Maybe that is the fastest way to make it into the main narrative!"

Sus nods and regards the drow, then continues without giving any indication that he has spoken at all "Well met ... Bliss? Call me Sus, it will be nice not to have to fight alone anymore." Obviously not looking at the orc.

Looking about Sus examins the slain elves, "But before we head into town we better see if these dead NPC's have any maps, valuables, or other items that might be of interest to the plot slash adventure." And with that he checks the elf that he killed.

sketch21
Strider
Strider

#7 Post by sketch21 »

"...", stares blankly at Sus, "yes, well ... a glorious new chapters for us all, Sus!"

Scans and looks around, trying to perceive any sign of danger.
and glancing back at the two odd pairing once in a while ... curiouser and curiouser ~

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by grey_starr »

Having seen nothing interesting at all ... Task just sits on his high horse and waits ... ignoring the slights of Sus. But then -

So ... Drow is it? and you be who? Or did the big guy get it right with Bliss? Those must be your brothers? Are we expecting to see a sister or two?

clearly not looking pleased at the idea. A spell sitting ready at the tip of his tongue... unless there are too many of course - looking back.
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

sketch21
Strider
Strider

#9 Post by sketch21 »

"They are my 'brothers' only in the tone of our skin, sir Tusk, if they be my real brothers, they would have killed me the day I was born - I was born to a high ruling family in the underdark, they would have viewed me as competition. As for others, that is what I'm trying to distinguish right now ... "
suddenly stops, holds a finger to his mouth as he focus his gaze at a line of trees ...

"Methink we're fine, no others that I can see or hear."

sheathed the short sword, still have the dagger on the left hand,

Proceed to rummaged through the dead drow ... while humming Tarzan Boy by Baltimora :p

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Majik »

"DWA… Gansta-gansta… "Sus pauses as the mocha mow hawked marauder continues his story…

"Born to a high ruling family in the under dark? Another Drizzt perhaps? Not a bad way into a better story arc if we survive the loving wrath of the drow matron much maligned." He contiunes as if talking to an unseen servent off to the side.

Sus also stops in his checking of the headless drow at his feet and looks about at the tree line...

cscott
Strider
Strider

#11 Post by cscott »

What is that noise? A bird? A Wyvern? Or a screaming priest?

If the screaming did not tip your hat, the noise of the breaking spruce branches, followed by the sudden thud, as the humanoid crashes into the ground. The violence of his fall throws the powdery snow into the air.

Moments pass as all of you are stunned. This is quickly followed by shock, as the humanoid sits up, and threw a helmeted head, screams only one disturbing word, "Dragon!!!!".

Amazingly, the sky fallen warrior springs to his feat; an amazing accomplishment, since he too is wearing plate mail.
Shaking his still unclear head, and with an unsteadied hand, points to the still dark sky.

It would help if the priest could point the right way... the noise of a sudden monstrous crash happens behind all of you. This is followed by the loud explosion of trees being broken in half like tinder. Your cloaks, like the snow all around you, billow into the air. The ground trembles beneath all of your feet. A long sinuous neck emerges from the darkness, the head easily bigger than a house, partially lit by the fires that burn within. Several of you squint as the sudden emergence of light ruins your night vision. The first to react is the terrified horse, atop is his rider who is still attempting to right himself in the saddle from the illustrious bow. From a nearly frozen state to a hurtling gallop of terror, the stallion dashes from the clearing heading in the opposite direction, towards the mountains.

Fear grips all of you, unnatural and all encompassing fear. Trees suddenly pass in a blur, branches batter your bodies, as the random flight of your terror pushes all of you towards the mountains. The mountains that suddenly none of you can remember the name of...

Your flight ends as quickly as it began, as all of you reach the limit of your endurance. Some are standing trying to desperately catch their breaths, others looking around with blinded confusion as the world seems to be now a much darker place.

A glowing light barely flickers ahead, still too far for any of you to make out. All of you exchange looks of suspicion and mistrust, well, almost all of you, since the one who calls himself Random Task is nowhere to be found, as is his steadfast steed.

A loud billowing voice assaults your ears, "I suggest you enter the valley, for this is not a safe place for you to be". What you had assumed was a part of the mountain, a gigantic leg wearing a fur boot and all, steps down into the pass beside you. Where the Dragon inspired feelings of dread, this Giant inspired feelings of Awe. A being, at least three times the normal height of a man, and wearing what looks like to be only animal skins, boasts a sword, a two-handed sword, the length of which you have never seen, resting over his massive right shoulder. He walks methodically in the direction of whence you came.
Last edited by cscott on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Majik »

"DaFaq?!" says Sus when the snow settles.

sketch21
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by sketch21 »

"Ditto, my powerful friend," Daemon remarked, "this is quite a predicament ... perhaps our next 'narrative' starts in the valley, eh?"

Watching the giant walking off to where they came from, Daemon looked at Sus, winks and says, "I'll catch up with the both of you (boy, that Sir Tusk can sure ride), this might prove interesting."

Daemon Bliss looked around at his current whereabout, as if trying to remember the setting.
He then goes off to the side (where there's a lot of trees, shadow, etc), sticking to the shadow and employing his hide in shadow and silent movement skill to quietly follow the giant from a safe distance (about 100 ft or so) -

until there's enough light (to see beyond 120 ft) or he sees the dragon from a safe (far away) distance.

channas
Runner
Runner

#14 Post by channas »

Well that guy has a set. I don't know about you, but I could use a drink.

Channas reaches for a sizeable waterskin. He mutters something and gestures over the skin with a trembling hand.

He raises the skin in the darkness. To your health. Or something. He takes a swig. That's better. He holds the skin out in the direction of the hulking figure standing next to him.

Care for a taste? I don't mean to boast, but some folks say my god's grape rivals that produced by the orc emperor's own vintners. Shall we investigate that glowing light barely flickering ahead?

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Majik »

Sus looks to Channas, then up into the air, then back to the priest… then shrugs. “Whatever” he says and accepts the water-skin.
"To your health. Or something too”he says and takes a small sip, then a larger one as that proves not to be too poisonous.

“Folks say your god's grape rivals that produced by the orc emperor's own vintners? Can’t say I know what that is like, but it sounds like a good adventure hook to me.”Sus nods off to the side to an unknown being perhaps behind a monitor and keyboard reading this as he speaks.

“Lay on McDuff… and damned be he… say did you see a orcish blur as we run here… probably headed the other way"?

channas
Runner
Runner

#16 Post by channas »

An orcish blur? Well everything is a bit of a blur for me at the moment, but I haven't noticed a blur with orcish features. Which I think are features I would be likely to notice, since of course orcs appear to have committed themselves to killing me, and anyone who resembles me.

... So, as we progress in this darkness slowly and with all appropriate diligence toward that glowing light barely flickering ahead, allow me to remark that you are truly an enormous individual. I didn't recognize your accent, or that reference to otherworldly literature. I have kin in the Thunder Plains, are you perhaps from around there?

cscott
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by cscott »

With a flutter of a cape, Daemon Bliss leaves all of you in the darkness of the night, following in the heels of the warding giant.
Sus and Channas begin to approach the beckoning light.................

So pretty...........

The port is not helping.

A loud horn bellows behind all of you. The sound is a gut retching and causes shivers up all of your spines........

And the rest will continue a little later once I figure out how to handle the splitting of the group.

cscott
Strider
Strider

#18 Post by cscott »

The shiver up your spine, is followed by the trembling of the earth. The entire mouth of the mountain pass behind you is a mass of huge swarming bodies.

Ogres.

More than either Channas or Sus can count......

They charge, but the mighty Grey Skinned Giant slays many of them. Amazingly, some get through and begin to charge towards the two of you....

sketch21
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by sketch21 »

catching up to Sus and Channas -
"Evening, gents, had your fill of these lovely mountains? I hope so because I suggest we move on ahead ... rather quickly I might add,"
gesturing to the path behind him, "ogres, hordes of them, not good for the health. So either we run for that light ahead (which I'm very suspicious of) or we quickly find a place to hide ... fighting is not an option, damn too many of them."

Majik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Majik »

Looking back to the source of the trembling earth Sus stops for only a fraction of a second before turning to Bliss and Channas… “Have you ever heard the saying… I don’t have to out run the bear, only the guys with me?”And with that he utters “Saving throws don’t fail me now..beeb-beeb” and runs towards the light of the valley.

For the DM: [1d100] = 81[1d20] = 16[1d10] = 7[1d8] = 6[1d6] = 2[1d4] = 2

Endurance 3 (+5) = 8 Constitution/Fitness (21)
Running 5 (+5) = 10 Constitution/Fitness (21)

Return to “Dark Horsemen - 1ed AD&D”