Town Business (Vaul) - II

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Town Business (Vaul) - II

#361 Post by KingOfCowards »

Keehnelf wrote:Oh, and prices to retain mercenaries according to the Duke's plan detailed above would be per the LL book, with a 20% premium for non-human friendly races (most of the main southfolk are humans).

So: price per month per type...

Light infantry: 3gp (6gp elf)
Heavy infantry: 4gp (6gp dwarf, 8gp4sp elf)
Crossbowman: 5gp (8gp4sp dwarf)
Bowman: 7gp (14gp4sp elf)
Mounted bowman: 15gp (42gp elf)
Longbowman: 10gp (30gp elf)
Light mounted: 10gp (30gp elf)
Medium mounted: 15gp
Heavy mounted: 20gp
And how much did Lug pay for a scout?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Keehnelf »

These are all 0-level soldiers, however.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Keehnelf wrote:These are all cannon fodder and meat shields, however.
Yeah, that's what I'd be buying them for.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Keehnelf »

That's all anyone buys them for. To go kill and be killed by other peoples' meatshields and cannon fodder.

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#365 Post by GTan_Baq »

Abi goes to the assessor's office and says, "Hello, I'm here about the notice posted concerning 'sums required'. I'm guessing it's a new tax. Could you tell me more about it? "
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Keehnelf wrote:That's all anyone buys them for. To go kill and be killed by other peoples' meatshields and cannon fodder.
Well yeah, you expect me to get my clothes dirty? Psh, I'm an elf yo...
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Keehnelf »

GTan_Baq wrote:Abi goes to the assessor's office and says, "Hello, I'm here about the notice posted concerning 'sums required'. I'm guessing it's a new tax. Could you tell me more about it? "
The Assessor looks flatly across his desk at the magician. "Not a tax, no. Purely voluntary. The Duke requests aid in mounting a defense of the city, and will be issuing a call for mercenaries from the south to make this happen. Perhaps the Lords of the South will contribute their own troops, but they have contributed precious little to date. So, Vaul will be requesting the urgent contracting and delivery of as many mercenaries of mixed type as can be acquired to render the town safe from hobgoblin conquest, and if sufficient--to mount a counter offensive.

"Anyone who wishes to contribute funds to the levying of troops will be enlisted as commander of those units hired, and if the forces are placed at the Duke's disposal for the ending of this thread, the title of Knight shall be accorded to any survivors of good standing and goodwill."

He pulls out a list (with the information laid out above on troop costs).

"Now, I have here the typical costs of troops in the southlands per month--of course, soldiers generally expect two months' pay in advance to avoid fighting and perhaps dying on behalf of deadbeats. So if you would like to submit a request to hire troops, I would be glad to take your payment and include it with our requisition under your name."

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#368 Post by GTan_Baq »

"Hmmmm" Abi begins to ponder, a smile creeping across her face. "A Knighted wizard." She thinks some more. "Put me down for 10 light infantry. Here is 6 platinum, that should cover them for 2 months." She hands the coins to the assessor, then turns and leaves with a big grin. Just think. A Knight!

6pp deducted
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Keehnelf »

The Assessor half-smiles. "Excellent." he takes her name and order down and accepts the coins. "We'll send an announcement out once we know the expected date of arrival."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Zhym »

Is there any advantage to having dwarven or elven mercenaries?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Keehnelf »

Higher hit points for dwarves and better armor class and to-hit with ranged weapons for elves.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Zhym »

Would we be taking the mercenaries with us on the next mission, or leaving them in Vaul? And is there any XP value in hiring mercenaries? :D

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by Keehnelf »

It depends on what you want to do with those mercenaries--they're pretty unwieldy for dungeon-delving (and would be unlikely to participate in it, since they've signed on as soldiers and not as adventurers), but if you planned to go looking for hobgoblin or goblin encampments and/or making attacks of that sort, or targeting very large monsters (like, say, a dragon) they're a great tool.

Also, if you have territory you want to hold, you can set up a garrison of forces. So there's that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Zhym »

So, not much use to Ulf right now, but if the expedition to the elves comes back with anything like 600 gp in silver coins, it could hire a small army to go fight the dragon: 10 longbowmen, 10 bowmen, 10 crossbowmen, and 20 heavy infantry would be 600 gp, total. Hmm. :D

Are we done with the audience & ready for the next expedition to set out?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by Keehnelf »

Yup, that would be quite a force to try and take on the dragon with!

Good question--I was waiting on any additional questions. Only Abi had left the chamber, but no one indicated whether they were going with her.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Zorroroaster »

What is the morale penalty when you tell your troops they are going up against a fire breathing dragon? :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#377 Post by KingOfCowards »

Zhym wrote:Are we done with the audience & ready for the next expedition to set out?
Bertram is good to go. I'd say if anybody has extra questions for the Duke or shopping to do, get it done.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Zhym »

Who said anything about telling them they would be going up against a dragon? :D

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Keehnelf »

Zorroroaster wrote:What is the morale penalty when you tell your troops they are going up against a fire breathing dragon? :lol:
Depends on what kind of troops they are, and who's leading them, and what they've accomplished in the past.

Granted, the actual fear of facing off against the dragon in person will be the biggest morale issue a mass of troops is likely to face anyway...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by Zhym »

Oh, and Ulf is ready to go. I'd suggest that the lack of any other interactions with the Duke says we're done here.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”