Town Business (Vaul) - II

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Town Business (Vaul) - II

#301 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit purchases 4 days of trail rations, 2 days of fresh rations at the general store.

28 sp, 8 cp deducted

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by Zorroroaster »

Zhym wrote:BTW, Orrin already owes Lug a trip to look for the trees:
That's what he just offered to do a few posts ago:
Zorroroaster wrote:Thats actually pretty reasonable. Orrin would be happy to take a circuitous route to the Finger to help Lug look for his tree, if that's a workable compromise.
Nobody else in the party has really warmed to the idea of looking for the tree, but Orrin did make the offer. He's just a little tetchy at the idea of selling the rings prematurely.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#303 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:Is there anyone in this group who met the dwarves that Quirin's group ran into? If so, they'd be a better starting point than the Finger if we're looking for dwarves.
Rhodri and Numen met those dwarves. As to why Rhodri hasn't said anything about them, I plead the fifth. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Keehnelf »

IC, and in public, this is the best you can get (via rumor):

viewtopic.php?f=163&t=3463&start=80#p145969

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Zorroroaster »

KingOfCowards wrote:
Zhym wrote:Is there anyone in this group who met the dwarves that Quirin's group ran into? If so, they'd be a better starting point than the Finger if we're looking for dwarves.
We already voted. Rhodri, when you get back online please start an expedition to the Finger, and be glad that you didn't waste the whole day being a part of this conversation.

Oh come on. It's been fun, hasn't it? :D
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin spends a while looking for Lug around town. When he find him, he holds out a package. It's cloth that's been wrapped in brown paper, tied with sisal twine.

"Here, big guy. I got this for you."
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Zhym »

:lol: :D :lol:

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by sulldawga »

Keehnelf wrote:IC, and in public, this is the best you can get (via rumor):

viewtopic.php?f=163&t=3463&start=80#p145969
Shit, I probably should have showed that ring to Fangir before he martyred himself, eh?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by sulldawga »

Zorroroaster wrote:Orrin spends a while looking for Lug around town. When he find him, he holds out a package. It's cloth that's been wrapped in brown paper, tied with sisal twine.

"Here, big guy. I got this for you."
I'm not the DM but that deserves some sort of reward. That's fantastic.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Zhym »

Spartakos wrote:He turns his somber face on Bertram, and says, "Bertram, I've decided you are cursed...but in an unusual way. You appear to lead a charmed life, but bring misfortune to those around you. Three of us almost died out there, while stirges don't so much as sniff you. I'm not blaming you--your foray put coin in my pockets, not unappreciated--but I don't think I'll go out in the field with you again. No hard feelings."
Huh. That certainly puts a new light on Rhodri's interpretation of his own "curse."

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#311 Post by GTan_Baq »

Naila goes shopping:

6 days preserved rations ... 3g

with markup that's 3g6s.

deducted
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#312 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem will buy 9 days of trail rations.

5gp deducted

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Keehnelf »

Zhym wrote:
Spartakos wrote:He turns his somber face on Bertram, and says, "Bertram, I've decided you are cursed...but in an unusual way. You appear to lead a charmed life, but bring misfortune to those around you. Three of us almost died out there, while stirges don't so much as sniff you. I'm not blaming you--your foray put coin in my pockets, not unappreciated--but I don't think I'll go out in the field with you again. No hard feelings."
Huh. That certainly puts a new light on Rhodri's interpretation of his own "curse."
I think of it as an evolving projective melancholy.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#314 Post by Spartakos »

Keehnelf wrote:
Zhym wrote:
I think of it as an evolving projective melancholy.
*shrug* Old-school dogma says "let the dice tell the story"; Rhodri's dice mostly say he is prone to bad luck (twice now, he has been struck below 0 in the very first fight of an expedition). He is more superstitious than religious and (being a cynic and a pessimist) tends to overlook any good luck and focus on the bad, so this is his attempt to make sense of his life and find something to blame for his misfortune other than the mercurial hand of fate. :)

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#315 Post by Spartakos »

Rhodri picks up some fresh rations (7s2cp deducted), and tries to track down Orrin to have a private conversation.

"Tell you what, Orrin...I'm thinking this necklace was meant for a dwarf to wear. I'm not offering it to you as a gift, but I am wondering if you'd be willing to try it on and see if it has any special properties for you that it isn't revealing to me. If it turns out it possesses some dwarvish magic that I can't make use of, maybe we can work some kind of trade out in the future. Or maybe you could figure out what it might do that does work for me, in which case I'd owe you one. Anyway...I already tried it on and it didn't kill me, so I doubt it'll do anything harmful to you."

Whaddya say ol' buddy? Do me a solid?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin looks at the necklace in Rhodri's hand and scratches at his beard. He takes it in one hand and gives it an appraising look.

"I'll try it on for you, Rhodri. Perhaps it will tell me something it hasn't told you. If we can determine it is of universal benefit then you can then wear it with confidence. If it turns out to only benefit one of my kind then I would offer to wear it for you on our coming foray, as having it in use will benefit the party as a whole. After the foray however, I will either give it back to you, or we can come to terms over it, as you say. Let's just hope it doesn't decide to choke the life out of me!"

Orrin lifts the scruff of his beard and awkwardly sets the necklace in place. He winks at Rhodri.

"How do I look?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Keehnelf »

The necklace lies more comfortably on Orrin's chest, but he doesn't feel anything special from it.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin tells Rhodri about the lack of anything felt about the necklace.

"What should we do? Perhaps it's not meant for a dwarf either? Maybe it's the halfling you are looking for? It could also be that the effect is subtle enough I can't feel it, or that I'm not currently in a situation where it's abilities are needed. What to do?"

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#319 Post by Spartakos »

Orrin wrote:"How do I look?"
"Like a dwarf wearing a fancy necklace," Rhodri says, deadpan.

With a sigh, he gestures for Orrin to hand the necklace back. "Well, it was worth a try. If it would only reveal its powers to you, I'm thinking you'd have gotten some kind of sign or feeling. I think I'll wear it in the meantime. Who knows, maybe it will do something. Let's hope it's something good."

Thanks anyway, Orrin. Maybe time will tell, or maybe Rhodri will spend some time at some point to try to study this thing, maybe after he's got a level under his belt. Or maybe we can find someone who knows more about it.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Har har."

Orrin hands back the necklace.

"Yep, sorry that was unhelpful. I'm sure you'll figure it out one way or the other."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”