OOC discussion

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC discussion

#181 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Time stop, man, time stop. It will mess with your head.

I'll have a game recap posted later this evening, then set about finding a replacement player for Ulf and (maybe?) Savik.
Failure is always an option.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Argennian »

Damn, I just had another archived game start up and right before that happened, I joined another two games here! :roll:

Really think I'm going to be stretching meself...

BUT... if everyone else that used to be on board here are still around, and are all in, I guess I'll have to try and make this work. Besides, I really did like my character and the interaction with the other party members... <sigh> :geek:

John: couple of questions. when are you planning on officially relaunching things here? What is going to be your expected post rate for players? Just trying to figure out the logistics of this before I dive back in! ;)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by onlyme »

Argennian wrote:Damn, I just had another archived game start up and right before that happened, I joined another two games here! :roll:

Really think I'm going to be stretching meself...

BUT... if everyone else that used to be on board here are still around, and are all in, I guess I'll have to try and make this work. Besides, I really did like my character and the interaction with the other party members... <sigh> :geek:

John: couple of questions. when are you planning on officially relaunching things here? What is going to be your expected post rate for players? Just trying to figure out the logistics of this before I dive back in! ;)
Mitch, I had the same thing (as most of us did, I believe...) However, I also just had 1 game shut down last week, and this morning 2 more.... Crazy how pbp works...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#184 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Argennian wrote: John: couple of questions. when are you planning on officially relaunching things here? What is going to be your expected post rate for players? Just trying to figure out the logistics of this before I dive back in! ;)
Mitch, I really don't want you to overextend yourself, or put yourself in a position where participating seems like a chore. That latter kind of defeats the purpose of gaming.

I posted for a replacement player for Ulf last night and am waiting to see what kind of responses I get. I want to get that business sorted out and the new player up to speed before pressing forward. That could be as soon as this weekend, or two weeks from now. Hard to tell. (For the record, there is an interested party who I need to speak with today.)

As far as posting rate, I imagine we're going to ease back into things, at least for the first few weeks. I don't think you were on the message I sent to the group (you were, at that point, not going to rejoin) but I'm away on a business trip from Sun. 9.14 thru Fri. 9.20, during which I'll have digital versions of the module and the OSRIC rule set available, but not a whole lot of time in the evenings to post. And from 9.28 thru 10.01, I'm going to be in a cabin in Middle-of-Nowhere, PA, with no internet access. Assuming we start within the next week, if we can get you guys through this combat and to the tomb by then, that's probably a decent and realistic goal. Once we're in dungeoncrawl mode, I'm guessing the RP will decrease and the momentum will pick up.

I still have some catching up to do myself, mostly reviewing sections of the DMG. Tonight, however, this is what I'm all about. Try to keep your envy in check.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Argennian »

Thanks for the consideration, John. Let me reassure you that even though I initially said I couldn't commit, I mulled it over and definitely do want to play again. Not only did I really like my character and the interaction with the other party members but I also very much enjoyed your game and DMing style. For a gamer like me, that's nearly impossible to be able to stay away from. I'll make the time and give you a commitment that I'll be all in again and reassure that I wouldn't waste your time or the others' here trying to cling onto playing a character or being in a game I wasn't 100% into.

onlyme wrote:... Mitch, I had the same thing (as most of us did, I believe...) However, I also just had 1 game shut down last week, and this morning 2 more.... Crazy how pbp works...
So very true, brother! Looking forward to the fun here again. Hopefully Iomhar doesn't get us into too many barroom brawls! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#186 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
onlyme wrote:... Mitch, I had the same thing (as most of us did, I believe...) However, I also just had 1 game shut down last week, and this morning 2 more.... Crazy how pbp works...
So very true, brother! Looking forward to the fun here again. Hopefully Iomhar doesn't get us into too many barroom brawls! 8-)

Nyah, it's Ewell, the Kid Rock Cavalier, we have to worry about...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:
Argennian wrote:

Nyah, it's Ewell, the Kid Rock Cavalier, we have to worry about...

You know. I fashioned Ewell after what I wanted Iomhar to be. That brash, loud talking, smartass rumbler... In one of the games just ended was their counterpart. the quiet, wise paladin...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#188 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Hey, guys: hedgeknight has agreed to run Ulf, so we're just about back in business. I'll get him added to the campaign, then once he feels he's up to speed, we can proceed settling these orcs' collective hash.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by hedgeknight »

Hey fellers! Ulf to the rescue! Er...to the er...well...he's charging the entangled orcs! Brave fellow, indeed. :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#190 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:Hey fellers! Ulf to the rescue! Er...to the er...well...he's charging the entangled orcs! Brave fellow, indeed. :mrgreen:
Awe. Some.

:)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#191 Post by Alethan »

Gelatinous Q wrote:Hey, guys: hedgeknight has agreed to run Ulf, so we're just about back in business. I'll get him added to the campaign, then once he feels he's up to speed, we can proceed settling these orcs' collective hash.
By the way... In case any of you reading this is a GM (and didn't know), an easy way to transfer an existing character to a new player is just to edit (the game's GM or a Mod can do this) the post and change ownership of that specific post to the new player.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#192 Post by Alethan »

Gelatinous Q wrote:I believe the campaign ID for the dice roller is 47 .

Let me know if that doesn't work.
47 is indeed the campaign number! Thanks!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#193 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:
Gelatinous Q wrote:Hey, guys: hedgeknight has agreed to run Ulf, so we're just about back in business. I'll get him added to the campaign, then once he feels he's up to speed, we can proceed settling these orcs' collective hash.
By the way... In case any of you reading this is a GM (and didn't know), an easy way to transfer an existing character to a new player is just to edit (the game's GM or a Mod can do this) the post and change ownership of that specific post to the new player.
Oh, to get to the Post Details screen, where a GM can modify a post, click on the "?" button, located just above the Quote button in that post. (Only mods/admin/campaign GM can see those buttons...)

There, it is just a matter of changing the owner of the thread by entering the new player's name in place of the old player.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#194 Post by Gelatinous Q »

One issue we should probably think about now rather than later is that of mapping once you guys go underground.

I know some pbp GMs do the mapping for their groups. Others have dedicated player mappers. I would prefer the latter (and would award a 5%XP bonus for whoever volunteers — especially if that person is a tried hand at any sort of mapping software — but I can go either way. The caveat here is that if I do the mapping, they will be hand-drawn scans, at least at first. And that my scanner is a cantankerous thing that needs to be tricked into working most of the time. (I am considering purchasing the Hexographer/Dungeonographer pro bundle, but there will likely be a learning curve there.)

Thoughts?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by hedgeknight »

If we were sitting around a table, it would be easy to have a player be the official mapper. But online, I think it would be difficult for the DM and the player to, at times, be on the same page...or map as the case may be. And what happens if that player is away for the weekend or longer due to sickness, work, etc?
But...if you find the right person, it may work.
Winter is coming...

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#196 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Yes, it will take a high level of communication/coordination between me and whoever might volunteer to map. If that person would be unavailable for any length of time, I would step in.

I'm going to run thru the MapTools tutorial today and see if that's a viable option. (It's free!) The maps that were created for the Tomb of Horrors game being hosted here look amazing, but I do wonder how long it took the GM to become proficient enough to create them.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by hedgeknight »

My "Map Fu" is pathetic - I do everything in Paint and when I say everything, I mean very minimal artistic skills - lots of squares and circles and straight lines. ;)
I also steal...er copy and paste from other sources into Paint and work from there. Whatever works man!
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#198 Post by Alethan »

Gelatinous Q wrote:One issue we should probably think about now rather than later is that of mapping once you guys go underground.

I know some pbp GMs do the mapping for their groups. Others have dedicated player mappers. I would prefer the latter (and would award a 5%XP bonus for whoever volunteers — especially if that person is a tried hand at any sort of mapping software — but I can go either way. The caveat here is that if I do the mapping, they will be hand-drawn scans, at least at first. And that my scanner is a cantankerous thing that needs to be tricked into working most of the time. (I am considering purchasing the Hexographer/Dungeonographer pro bundle, but there will likely be a learning curve there.)

Thoughts?
It is pretty easy to use when you have the pro bundle. The free version has some bugs/challenges when it comes to making and saving and exporting maps. They aren't game-killer bugs, but they make it more of a challenge to learn. With the pro bundle, everything works pretty smoothly.

Yeah, I have the pro bundle. But I'm spread pretty thin these days, so I doubt I'd have time to do proper mapping. ie, I really don't have the time available to give this the proper attention it needs.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Argennian »

hedgeknight wrote:Hey fellers! Ulf to the rescue! Er...to the er...well...he's charging the entangled orcs! Brave fellow, indeed. :mrgreen:
Oh hells ya! Welcome aboard indeed, Big G!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by rredmond »

Heh, I do most of my mapping in PowerPoint. In the past I've attempted it in Excel.

I'll give it a whirl as long as the DM wouldn't mind a bajillion clarification questions...
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”